X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The end of leagues as we know?

Originally posted by beaverhockey View Post
    Generally speaking, road trip guarantees come close to paying for a trip...(hotel and plane)...but not all of it. Somewhere between $15K and $20K...generally speaking. This is what BSU received in the past (while a member of the CHA). ..unless it was a home and home...then no money changed hands.

As for schools invited...what I heard last week (but couldn't get anyone to confirm them) was exactly what was reported by Pates in Duluth.

UND, DU, UNO, CC, UMD, ND, Miami, WMU.

As for why Western would be included? They have 25,000 students...and they're a bus ride for ND and Miami (might be a long bus ride...but it's a bus ride).
    And it appears they may be on the uptick. A "futures" bet, so to speak. If their coach doesn't bolt for the Red Wings. Plus, they may be the best school to round out the conference.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Bruce McLeod should resign and then things will be all better. Maybe.
      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        And it appears they may be on the uptick. A "futures" bet, so to speak. If their coach doesn't bolt for the Red Wings. Plus, they may be the best school to round out the conference.
        WMU is a Division one program in other sprots and is likely the biggest program in the BHHC 8.
        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

UMD is in Minnesota. WMU is in Michigan. Schools looking at the new conference haven't forgotten the nations top recruiting grounds and richest fan bases.

So will UND really rather host Miami than SCSU? Would it rather play WMU than Mankato? They must have felt obligated to throw ND a bone...and must have really wanted to slim down the league bad.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
            So will UND really rather host Miami than SCSU? Would it rather play WMU than Mankato? They must have felt obligated to throw ND a bone...and must have really wanted to slim down the league bad.
            The Miami / North Dakota rivalry will be huge from the get-go. Two programs that are regular Final Four contenders. I'd expect those games to have massive Pairwise ramifications every time they meet.

Miami's student section is second to none. They line up hours before the game and fill at least 25% of their arena.

North Dakota fans that make that road trip are going to love Oxford.

Comment

• Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
              The Miami / North Dakota rivalry will be huge from the get-go. Two programs that are regular Final Four contenders. I'd expect those games to have massive Pairwise ramifications every time they meet.

Miami's student section is second to none. They line up hours before the game and fill at least 25% of their arena.

Doesn't take much for a D1 school with a sub-WCHA capacity arena.
              Originally posted by SCSU Euro
              What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post

sure, but when the students are not there no one else is either.

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                Doesn't take much for a D1 school with a sub-WCHA capacity arena.
                Agreed, and dg, if your guys have not vetted this proposal any better than this you deserve what you get.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

It's important to keep in mind that when Notre Dame chooses to go east (perhaps taking Miami with them to round out HE to 12 teams), the 6 renegade WCHA teams of the so called "super conference" will be left holding their * in their hands, ****ing into the wind. The media frenzy based upon the conjecture that Notre Dame will relentlessly accept an offer to join this new conference idea is comical to say the least.

This is nothing more than UND inviting others to their financial pity party.

Four factors that may influence Notre Dame realigning to Hockey East:

1) The head coach's preference:

"I have a lot of respect for the programs and coaches in Hockey East," said Jeff Jackson, Notre Dame hockey head coach. "That has been one of the premier leagues in the country over the last 15 years. Our university is open to everything right now. As I've said, a lot has to do with going to a conference with like-minded schools. The Catholic aspect and academic aspect are strong suits for Hockey East."
                  2) Division I consistency in all sports:

The WCHA will have 10 remaining schools after Minnesota and Wisconsin depart, but eight are Division II or III in other sports. North Dakota and Denver are the only schools that are Division I in all sports. Eight of Hockey East's 10 teams are Division I across the board. Merrimack and UMass Lowell are Division II in other sports.

3) Historical rivalries and philosophical similarities:

Jackson said they will be looking at being in a conference with like-minded schools and that pertains to academics and other areas in addition to athletics.

Notre Dame is a Catholic institution as are Providence College, Merrimack and Boston College. Notre Dame and Providence are Big East rivals in every sport except football. Boston College used to be in the Big East until it left to join the Atlantic Coast Conference.

4) Media revenue sharing in addition to Notre Dame Network revenue:

"It's not just about the hockey end of it," said Jackson. "And we're also looking at our access to TV rights."

Hockey East is currently negotiating a TV rights deal. It has had a contract with the New England Sports Network, but that expired and league commissioner Joe Bertagna is currently negotiating with NESN. The league has two years left on a three-year deal with the CBS Sports Network, which airs a game of the week on Friday nights although it isn't exclusively linked to Hockey East. Comcast SportsNet New England could be another option and Bertagna said Versus, which carries NHL games, has expressed a desire to branch into college hockey.

And now a message for UND from our sponsors:

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockey View Post
                    Generally speaking, road trip guarantees come close to paying for a trip...(hotel and plane)...but not all of it. Somewhere between $15K and $20K...generally speaking. This is what BSU received in the past (while a member of the CHA). ..unless it was a home and home...then no money changed hands.

As for schools invited...what I heard last week (but couldn't get anyone to confirm them) was exactly what was reported by Pates in Duluth.

UND, DU, UNO, CC, UMD, ND, Miami, WMU.

As for why Western would be included? They have 25,000 students...and they're a bus ride for ND and Miami (might be a long bus ride...but it's a bus ride).
                    Long bus ride? 227 miles...about 4 hours...not a long bus ride by any stretch of the imagination...now Duluth (737 miles) and Omaha (699) are long bus trips to Oxford.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

By regular Final Four contenders, you mean in the last 20 minutes for Miami?
                      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

For those who may have mssed this in the UAH thread...

http://saveuahhockey.com/2011/07/05/...-might-happen/

Comment

I think I can state with pretty good certainty most North Dakota fans don't even know that Miami of Ohio is in Oxford.

This whole thing is just a very, very bad idea and it makes me unhappy to think about it.

Also, I don't get your zeal for this proposal. All we ever hear from you and PS is about the glory days of DU hockey in the 60's, a decade by the way in which Wisconsin wasn't in the conference and Minnesota refused to play you. Isn't this a chance for DU to return to those days?

I have been watching college hockey a long time. I can categorically state that the game of college hockey as a whole is substantially better since programs like DU, UND and the Big 10 schools actually helped programs like SCSU, Mankato, BSU, UAA, etc..., get developed, move from Independents into stable leagues, or move up from DII or DIII. How throwing those programs under the bus helps college hockey, including our own two programs, completely escapes me.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Well, if this actually happens, I may never spend money on another D1 college hockey ticket again. I can spend my money on better things than supporting any of these disgraceful institutions, and that goes for the B16 Mistake and the other conference full of the whiny *****es with inferiority complexes. I can get plenty of hockey watching NHL, high school and even D3 if I need to.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              Well, if this actually happens, I may never spend money on another D1 college hockey ticket again. I can spend my money on better things than supporting any of these disgraceful institutions, and that goes for the B16 Mistake and the other conference full of the whiny *****es with inferiority complexes. I can get plenty of hockey watching NHL, high school and even D3 if I need to.
                              Classic!
                              "My greatest achievement."
                              Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                                Yeah, it would stink for the fans of those schools if program drop, but the real tragedy would be the loss of those spots and the lost opportunities for young men to experience hockey at the D1 level.

Comment

Working...
                                X