Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UAH Hockey 2011-12: Will Someone Break the Conference Logjam? Thanks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UAH Hockey 2011-12: Will Someone Break the Conference Logjam? Thanks.

This was originally posted in the Save UAH Hockey thread, but it does make sense to have this in a new topic. It has been lightly edited from that original post for clarity.

The tentative 11-12 schedule is out. Ahem.[1]

I expect that's "tentative" because:

1. It's only 29 games, and I know that the goal was 32-34.
    2. After the Merrimack series this past January, the Nashville folks wanted to do another series at Bridgestone. The 2011-12 NHL schedule won't be out for a few weeks, though, and I'm sure the Nashville folks want to combine a two-game UAH series with a Saturday night Predators game. There's enough fire around them wanting to do a Regional and/or Frozen Four that they will want to keep that fire going, and putting UAH in it means they've got a better shot at getting the gate they want.
    3. The contracts aren't signed.
    4. No matter where that series is, I don't see not playing the second AND fourth weekends of January. February is the conference wasteland [note again that it's a CCHA school with a free weekend that will host], so you've got to get games in January if you can.

That's a tough schedule, but that's not surprising. Figure you can split with the three October home opponents. WMU will be hard to beat, but perhaps easier early in the season.

Do you pick the Buckeyes off at home? Not sure what their recruiting is doing with BTHC a reality. Providence is a possibility given that they'll have a new coaching staff this year. The Thanksgiving stuff will be interesting: an RPI team we played 2-1 twice at home last year[2], a new-coach UML team that was terrible last year, and UNH.

December will be a slog, even if the team gets to stay in Minnesota. The interesting thing will be to see how UAH fares against a post-Matt Read BSU squad. It feels like the boys could sweep MC at home to end 2011.

DU and UMD will both be very difficult trips.

MU won't be any easier in February, for sure. U-18 comes in to finish out the schedule, and those kids are Danton's squad. DC already knows that I'm going to blister him for six periods.

I like UAH for 10-11 wins, more if this big recruiting class pans out. All three returning goalies have ice time on their resumes. Baxter is the main scoring punch you lose. The boys have a puncher's chance.

GFM

[1] That's the permalink to the schedule, regardless of season. Don't get me started on uahchargers.com's Joomla implementation. It works after a fashion, but the structural underpinnings were done by someone who doesn't understand how a CMS works. Not that I'm a snob about such things.

[2] One of the fine RPI gentlemen indicated that RPI is full and cannot accommodate the Chargers. I'm just reporting what I've been told.
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Re: UAH Hockey 2011-12: Will Someone Break the Conference Logjam? Thanks.

Let me surprise you: UAH pushed out a press release about the ten incoming freshmen. Of then ten, I've met Strukoff, and he looks a lot bigger than 195#.

This clearly doesn't get the team to the discussed 15-9-4. I know[1] that three young men [all forwards] are not returning for 11-12, so that puts us at 13-8-3. I expect that a couple of late additions will make their way to Huntsville by the time August rolls around. In particular, I'd like to see one more forward and one more defenseman, and I'd prefer two more forwards.

The team hasn't voted on captains yet, but I will be surprised if anyone other than Curtis deBruyn wears the C next season. That would extend the junior-defenseman-as-captain streak to three [Kalinchuk, Burkholder]. If you go back even further, the Chargers have had two forwards serve as co-captains [Selinger, Ross], but the last forward to be the sole captain is Steve Milosevski in 2003-4.

GFM

[1] I have had coaches, graduated seniors, and Facebook statuses provide me this information. I'm going to try to get with all three of them to be able to discuss that.
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
      ... The 2011-12 NHL schedule won't be out for a few weeks, though, and I'm sure the Nashville folks want to combine a two-game UAH series with a Saturday night Predators game. There's enough fire around them wanting to do a Regional and/or Frozen Four that they will want to keep that fire going, and putting UAH in it means they've got a better shot at getting the gate they want.
      http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=566835
      http://predators.nhl.com/club/schedule.htm?&gameType=3

The Pred's host the Flyers on Sat. 1/14 and the Blues on Sat. 2/4.
      Last edited by tnlong; 06-23-2011, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Thanks, Terry.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...nk_of_con.html

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

I'm working to get the incoming freshmen to tell us a little about themselves. I've got my first interview request out now.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Ryan Burkholder will play in the Netherlands next year.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Just posted a blog as to why the WCHA should pursue UAH. As a native Southerner myself, I feel for you guys. I want the game to expand in the Southeast, but it won't until a major conference invites the Chargers.

http://collegehockeyweekend.blogspot...alignment.html
              Andy Sorensen, College Hockey Weekend Blogger/Host of "College Hockey Weekend Radio"

Comment

Originally posted by College Hockey Weekend View Post
                Just posted a blog as to why the WCHA should pursue UAH. As a native Southerner myself, I feel for you guys. I want the game to expand in the Southeast, but it won't until a major conference invites the Chargers.

http://collegehockeyweekend.blogspot...alignment.html
                I'm not sure why the WCHA would look here. I expect that any charge like that would be led by McLeod, who seems by word and deed to be inclined to keep everyone out west in D-I up and running. He's familiar with UAH as the first commissioner of the CHA.

As for the power conference, I've got something on that score that I should finish writing up.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Two for you tonight:

http://uahhockey.com/blog/2011/07/05...-craig-pierce/

Craig Pierce kicks off our summer series of interviews of incoming Chargers.

http://saveuahhockey.com/2011/07/05/...-might-happen/

If everyone else can come up with a realignment proposal, why can't I?!

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

http://saveuahhockey.com/2011/07/05/...-might-happen/

If everyone else can come up with a realignment proposal, why can't I?!

GFM
                    Interesting proposal on making the best of a less-than-ideal situation, but what about Bowling Green? They'd have to be included and one of your East schools left out -- unless the league can manage to have 13, which could be messy.
                    Last edited by UAHStatman; 07-05-2011, 10:48 PM. Reason: Double quoting
                    Michael Napier - UAH '97
                    uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                    U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                    NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                    CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                    CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
                      Interesting proposal on making the best of a less-than-ideal situation, but what about Bowling Green? They'd have to be included and one of your East schools left out -- unless the league can manage to have 13, which could be messy.
                      Bowling Green was included in the "total Division I" teams (along with UND, Miami, etc.).

A 9-team Atlantic Hockey seems a bit interesting, but I am glad the author has realized that the eastern leagues (at least Hockey East and ECAC) would likely only change if a western team tried to get into the east (as was discussed with Notre Dame on another thread).
                      Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 07-06-2011, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        Bowling Green was included in the "total Division I" teams (along with UND, Miami, etc.).
                        That's true, although based on what I've read (links below), this new proposed league will be based on how its schools are committed to hockey investment and not necessarily if its members are full Division I, and Bowling Green isn't, at least right now, in the mix.

Duluth News Tribune: UMD invited to discuss new college hockey conference
                        http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/eve.../group/Sports/

Grand Forks Herald: UND weighs hockey league options
                        http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...cle/id/208516/
                        Michael Napier - UAH '97
                        uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
                          Now that I think about it, if there are 13 leftovers, the way they are aligned would make me think two conferences (one with six, the other with seven, both with an Alaska team) would be more likely than one.
                          Michael Napier - UAH '97
                          uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            A 9-team Atlantic Hockey seems a bit interesting, but I am glad the author has realized that the eastern leagues (at least Hockey East and ECAC) would likely only change if a western team tried to get into the east (as was discussed with Notre Dame on another thread).
                            I have no idea what happens if NtD moves to HE.

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

I have no idea what happens if NtD moves to HE.

GFM
                              If Notre Dame were to go to Hockey East, look for them to grab a 12th team. Some ECAC teams have been mentioned in that discussion, as has Miami.

Comment

Working...
                              X