This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI Off-Season Thread 2011 Part II: The Bryce is Right

This is a great conversation and I guess that it all has to do with Penn St coming in and the formation of a big 10 conference. But why would ND want to move east? I know that they have the money, but why spend it when they don't have to.
    The mid west has plenty of hockey programs, and new conferences are going to have to be created.
    Personally, I don't see them coming east at all.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by Jasma View Post
      The ECAC would be a much better academic and geographic fit for Notre Dame than Hockey East, if the Irish were in fact interested in aligning with an Eastern league. The potential for TV money, the Big East relationship with Providence and the national profile of BC are strong points for HE.

If the ECAC was to decide that it wanted to invest in a league structure and acquire a TV package, it would be a better fit for Notre Dame.
      Jasma, I always respect your well reasoned takes but toatally disagree with this one. Zero chance that Notre Dame will join the ECAC. Second rate operation. Example 1 - Tourney in Atlantic City was a joke, Example 2 - Bryan Hicks, Feola, et al. Example 3 Can you see Notre Dame coming to play Union at that dump, Example 4 - Paul Stewart, enuff said.

I tread lightly here because I am not an alum so I know the feelings about Ivies but this is a move that would be welcomed by me. Imagine going to play BU after the slugfest we had with them this year on the next night. Would be in line with our great Coach Seth Appert's desire to play back to back nights. Of course this scenario has been thought about before under Adessa (going HE). The Tute would be much more likely to raise the third National Championship banner in HE because look at how many champs come from there (help recruiting,etc.). We could also spar with Nick P. , Steve F, etc. and the beantown contingent. Now I would enjoy that. I think Seth is the right guy at the right time to make a move like this. I believe my erstwhile brother will agree with me but that's it because dammit we have to play Clarkson twice a year .
      Last edited by AspyDad; 06-05-2011, 12:26 PM.
      "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Just chiming in-I don't see RPI going anywhere-unless you mean to the top of the ECAC standings. We are on the move alright-but within our old league and heading towards the top soon. Just my usual 2¢
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

I'm surprised we haven't heard from any of the pro-Adessa warblers yet...

Moving to Hockey East I don't feel would be a downgrade in terms of actual hockey play. One, better competition (which I realize could go either way for us). Two, Coach would get his wish: one opponent a weekend, rather than two. I know, doesn't matter much, but still a factor. Three, time for my kiss-butt moment, what AspyDad said earlier for the reasoning not directly involving Notre Dame, although I still feel the grass is always greener on the other side, and we may not see this to be true.

Obviously, there are downsides. One, loss of current in-league rivalries. Yes, they could be played non-conference, but we won't have that guaranteed revenue each year from when Clarkson and Cornell come to town (regardless of how boring the game may be, let's face it, those games draw well even with no students on campus). Two, academic associations. I realize it's not hockey-related, but it seems to be seen in high regard. Three, and the most likely as to why it would not happen, for whatever reason Coach Adessa's original claim was denied.

Comment

Just following up on what Jasma is saying. She's hit a lot of the points right on the head, but some of your comments are just ridiculous.
            Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
            Hockey East would have no interest in the Q, rink too small, tradition nonexistent, etc..
            Their rink seats 4k, and, as she said, the amount of money / institutional investment that has been put in in the past five years is tremendous.
            Have to disagree with you on RPI. First of all they are closer to most Hockey East schools than either Vermont or Maine, being just barely into NY.
            Your point is? You're not kicking out UVM or Maine. It's not like the HEA teams are talking about a trade of travel for less travel here.
            As a matter of fact 8 of 10 Hockey East schools are closer than St. Lawrence or Clarkson to RPI.
            Right, because we're traveling up to Canton / Potsdam for the scenery We're traveling to play hockey and the tradition / history / rivalry that we have with these two teams (well, at least Clarkson) would outweigh the fact that we only have to drive three-ish hours to UML / Merrimack, at least in my mind.
            Secondly, they have tradition with 2 National Championships and a rabid fanbase, as well as a solid academic reputation. They also have a venerable old barn that seats over 5200
            Valid point, but you're just explaining why RPI is supposedly a good fit for Hockey East, not why Hockey East (with its state schools, largely D-I athletic programs, and lack of academic name recognition) is a better fit for RPI than the ECAC (with Ivy / very highly regarded academic institutions, D-III athletic programs, and similar institution commitments to athletics).

*DISCLAIMER*
            The following is baseless speculation and I have no proof of what I am about to say.
            *DISCLAIMER*

I think that you have the athletic side of the Institute on your side (Appert might be on the fence, but probably Col. Knowlton) saying that we should join the HEA, but I doubt that you have the academic side of the Institute agreeing with you. Their desire to be seen as a top-tier school is based on name recognition, and I don't mean the "these teams have won national championships recently" name recognition... I mean the "we compete against these schools academically and athletically" name recognition. BC brings that to the table. But, God forbid if we're mentioned in the same breath as UVM / UMass / Maine. If you (and by you, I mean the HEA commissioner / other athletic directors) can come up with reasonable explanations that make sense to Shirley Ann Jackson (our president) as to how raising the league that we would be playing in would raise the school's reputation more than it would be hurt by not associating ourselves with the Ivies, then you might be one step closer to brining in a 12th team into Hockey East. But, beware, this is the same president that tried to kill Greek Life for no reason and disbanded the Faculty Senate for, again, almost no reason. So, best of luck with that.
            Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by RKarger View Post
              Today is 5 June 2011. There are 118 days until RPI's next game.

There are four days until Ralph posts again.

This is based upon 1 October for the start of next season.

That is the day that an exhibition game is supposedly scheduled.
              Thanks.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

He must be in withdrawal. This has got to be worse than the DT's. (Delirium tremens-for those not medically informed)
                Does that explain the shaking this morning?
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Why don't we start an RPI-to-WCHA rumor this time? There will be some room with W and M leaving, and SA would certainly like it.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

UAlbany is going to go from club to D1 and join the ECAC right after RPI leaves to go to Hockey East.......
                    Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

• Re: RPI Off-Season Thread 2011 Part II: The Bryce is Right

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                      Great Video of PK at Combine. Go to this link. On the right hand side of this page click on NHL Scouting Combine: Day 2.
                      http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=44174
                      Kudos, AD. I looked at that site several x's a day for video of PK. Saw that one but never opened it.
                      Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                        I think that you have the athletic side of the Institute on your side (Appert might be on the fence, but probably Col. Knowlton) saying that we should join the HEA, but I doubt that you have the academic side of the Institute agreeing with you. Their desire to be seen as a top-tier school is based on name recognition, and I don't mean the "these teams have won national championships recently" name recognition... I mean the "we compete against these schools academically and athletically" name recognition. BC brings that to the table. But, God forbid if we're mentioned in the same breath as UVM / UMass / Maine. If you (and by you, I mean the HEA commissioner / other athletic directors) can come up with reasonable explanations that make sense to Shirley Ann Jackson (our president) as to how raising the league that we would be playing in would raise the school's reputation more than it would be hurt by not associating ourselves with the Ivies, then you might be one step closer to brining in a 12th team into Hockey East. But, beware, this is the same president that tried to kill Greek Life for no reason and disbanded the Faculty Senate for, again, almost no reason. So, best of luck with that.
                        Regarding the greek life, having been on campus at the time (it was a very big uprising my sophomore year, obviously there were a number of other uprisings, I believe one your freshman year), at least my sophomore year the first "ban" was alcohol, originally non-negotiable, and then have RA's and RD's brought in from Siena to all the greek houses, this was negotiable before enacted. There was a large uprising in the DCC (there's still some pictures of it on Facebook, IIRC), and originally the faculty had to give in. If there's enough of an uprising, RPI will do what Dr. Jackson does not want, but I don't think this is worth that sort of a fight.

Comment

nothing to do with RPI hockey but watch this kid handle the puck....WOW http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32aEQ...eature=related
                          Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            Does that explain the shaking this morning?
                            Could be-BTW you are really missed.
                            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Regarding RPI and Hockey East. I have felt since about 1988 that RPI made the wrong decision when the league split in 1985. I felt the same way when they flirted with the idea again in 1994. When the dust settles on the current potential league shake-ups RPI could be really sorry if they stand pat and a few years down the road the Ivies bolt to form their own league or another current league member makes the move instead.

Having said that ..if RPI were to make the move the school would have to be 100% committed. IMO opinion committed means a thick skin which they seem to be developing with regards to kids leaving early for the Pros and realizing that in order to be competitive on the ice a few border line academic kids will need to get the green light and some of them may not make it. The facilities have come a long way and It seems like recruiting in new england would pick up. I would miss playing a few of the ECAC schools but would get over it with the games vs BC,BU etal. I don`t have High hopes for the move but I would be all for it.

Comment

Hey looks like koudys did well at combine. came 2nd in bench press and featured in nhl.com article
                                cool eh!

Comment

Working...
                                X