X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Off-Season Thread 2011 Part II: The Bryce is Right

Originally posted by johnk View Post
    I 100% root for RPI and the people that know me on here can verify it. That being said, ALL of the parents, players and staff from Union that I have met have been nothing but great to deal with both on a business and personal level. I have had RPI season tix since I was a kid. I went to Detroit in 85, Boston in 84 & 85 and Placid everytime they were there. Having a business so close to Union and being from that area has also made me want to see them be successful but not at the expense of RPI. Have you ever seen me post on the Union thread?
    Jenny and i were in Detroit and Boston on those dates also-shame we did not know to hook up. Can't ever recall when we enjoyed ourselves so much.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
      That's the data mining answer...

The math based answer would be that most NHL teams carry about 22 players with the parent club. 18 skaters, 2 goalies and a couple of healthy scratches to keep everyone from getting too complacent. Based on that, I'd expect to see a goalie selected about every 11th selection or roughly 3 per round. So ignoring other factors, I would have predicted 4th round.

There are other factors to consider though. Among them is that goalies often mature later than skaters and may have longer careers as they are a little less prone to injury. On top of that, there is a certain je ne sais quois about good goalies and trying to predict their ability to play well under pressure is far from science (see Roberto Luongo for a recent pleasant example). All of these reasons would tend to make teams less likely to select goalies with their prime picks.

So, without data mining, I would expect a choice no earlier than 4th round. I would also expect the percentage of goalies chosen by round to increase as the draft goes on. So I'll say Kasdorf goes no later than the 6th, probably in the 5th and maybe in the 4th!

Feel free to ignore all of this and go back to your bickering folks!
      Thanks JM and knsmith for answering my question. My own guess would be late fourth or early fifth round.
      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
      Benjamin Franklin
      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
      Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
        That's the data mining answer...

The math based answer would be that most NHL teams carry about 22 players with the parent club. 18 skaters, 2 goalies and a couple of healthy scratches to keep everyone from getting too complacent. Based on that, I'd expect to see a goalie selected about every 11th selection or roughly 3 per round. So ignoring other factors, I would have predicted 4th round.

There are other factors to consider though. Among them is that goalies often mature later than skaters and may have longer careers as they are a little less prone to injury. On top of that, there is a certain je ne sais quois about good goalies and trying to predict their ability to play well under pressure is far from science (see Roberto Luongo for a recent pleasant example). All of these reasons would tend to make teams less likely to select goalies with their prime picks.

So, without data mining, I would expect a choice no earlier than 4th round. I would also expect the percentage of goalies chosen by round to increase as the draft goes on. So I'll say Kasdorf goes no later than the 6th, probably in the 5th and maybe in the 4th!

Feel free to ignore all of this and go back to your bickering folks!
        All very sensible-my own opinion is Kasdorf goes in round 6 or 7 at best(and perhaps not at all).
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
          If that's the rule, it was never enforced.
          Rulebook currently says 21 skaters and 3 goalies maximum for an exhibition game. And that's all that RPI has ever dressed for an exhibition game going back as far as 10 years (admittedly, going back that far is somewhat irrelevant, given that rules can change every 2 years).

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
            Hahahahahaha! One half of the drooling idiots has enlightened us again! Its Section 14 moron! Who are you stalking these days, Hagwell, Schott, or Stewart? Whether I know alot about hockey or not doesn't matter. Just reading your moronic posts and knowing more than you is enough. Now call Red Cloud and get some help from someone who at least has knowledge of what he posts about!
            Wow I'm really hurt...I'm beginning to think you don't like me...does this mean a cold one after the Union/RPI @ Messofanarena at your establishment is off ? jeeeez !!!
            What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
              Wow I'm really hurt...I'm beginning to think you don't like me...does this mean a cold one after the Union/RPI @ Messofanarena at your establishment is off ? jeeeez !!!
              I don't know about you, but my first thought after the game at the messofa rink is to get the hell out of Schenectady as quickly as possible.

Comment

Today is 23 June 2011. There are 100 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 1 October for the start of next season.

That is the day that an exhibition game is supposedly scheduled.

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post

USCHO was down all morning so far.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      USCHO was down all morning so far.
                      Yes, it was. I only posted this because I thought this was about one of those times when you take a powernap.

Comment

I don't know about you, but my first thought after the game at the messofa rink is to get the hell out of Schenectady as quickly as possible.
                        That's usually my plan too, although sometimes I phone in a bomb scare first.
                        Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                          That's usually my plan too, although sometimes I phone in a bomb scare first.
                          Hey guys...quick note on Schenectady (I live right across from Union College)...been on the upswing (much like our beloved Cherry and White) lately and next time don't be in such a rush. After our victory at UC this upcoming season, I'll gladly buy the first round at 20 North Broadway Tavern (next to Pinhead Susan's)...great place, great owners, awesome wings, and $2 Busch pounders! Very laid back, down to earth atmosphere .

Go RED!

Comment

Yes, it was. I only posted this because I thought this was about one of those times when you take a powernap.
                            OK a
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by ajt6954 View Post
                              Hey guys...quick note on Schenectady (I live right across from Union College)...been on the upswing (much like our beloved Cherry and White) lately and next time don't be in such a rush. After our victory at UC this upcoming season, I'll gladly buy the first round at 20 North Broadway Tavern (next to Pinhead Susan's)...great place, great owners, awesome wings, and $2 Busch pounders! Very laid back, down to earth atmosphere .

Go RED!
                              What I drove through getting off 890 was NOT upswing. It's not bad enough that I'm tempted to actually fork over money to the Thruway Authority to go around Schenectady, but it's not exactly enjoyable doing through Downtown.

Comment

What I drove through getting off 890 was NOT upswing. It's not bad enough that I'm tempted to actually fork over money to the Thruway Authority to go around Schenectady, but it's not exactly enjoyable doing through Downtown.
                                Not many downtowns in this area, outside of Saratoga and Ballston Spa, are nice places to drive through. However, downtown Sch'dy is on the upswing and does offer some good spots for a beer or two after escaping Messa. Katie O's, Bombers, Clinton's Ditch, 20 North Broadway and a couple of other spots are good places to find decent beer and pub food. If you want mass produced schlock beer (Bud, any of the national Lites, etc) you can go to any dump and there are also plenty of those still operating in the Electric City.

By the way, if you want great food and a nice atmosphere, cross Freeman's Bridge and try The Water's Edge Lighthouse.

Comment

Working...
                                X