This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Off-Season Thread 2011 Part II: The Bryce is Right

If you're not going to add anything new, DUDE, just quote me, please.

/bully
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasma View Post
      Do we know if Laliberte is on the list of those planning on showing up at RPI for next season?
      Last week The Scouting News posted a pod-cast with Bryan Vines on their website. During the interview while talking about recruiting in Canada, he mentioned 3 players from the OJHL, one player from Cornwall in the CJHL, as well as a couple from the BCHL coming to RPI this season. Although im not quite sure where Vines is getting "a couple" from when talking about the BCHL. The only recruit im aware of out of the BCHL is Zalewski.

Comment

Originally posted by redhead18 View Post
        Last week The Scouting News posted a pod-cast with Bryan Vines on their website. During the interview while talking about recruiting in Canada, he mentioned 3 players from the OJHL, one player from Cornwall in the CJHL, as well as a couple from the BCHL coming to RPI this season. Although im not quite sure where Vines is getting "a couple" from when talking about the BCHL. The only recruit im aware of out of the BCHL is Zalewski.
        Could he be referring to Curadi, who had played in the BCHL the year before? I can't think of anyone else with BCHL experience.
        Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 06-09-2011, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          Could he be referring to Curadi, who had played in the BCHL the year before?
          Not sure, I guess its possible. He didnt mention any specific names throughout the interview.

Edit: After giving it some thought, Curadi makes sense because he committed to RPI while playing for Penticton last year.
          Last edited by redhead18; 06-09-2011, 10:02 AM.

Comment

I guess that I didn't have to quote Sgt. Schultz.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Not sure, I guess its possible. He didnt mention any specific names throughout the interview.

Edit: After giving it some thought, Curadi makes sense because he committed to RPI while playing for Penticton last year.
              Great to get affirmation of Laliberte showing up as recently as last week. The lack of appearance in the directory was remaining concerning for me. (note: I'm an admitted worry wart).

Comment

So I was thinking, and with the upcoming Big 10 hockey conference forming what about doing a challenge between two leagues ala the Big 10-ACC basketball challenge each year. Bringing it closer to home, say the ECAC pairs up with Hockey East and we match up our teams over a weekend or weekends each season and the conference that wins the most games out of that weekend gets bragging rights. Pair different teams or even league up each season so the fans get to see a different opponent each year or every other year...have not thought out the home and away aspect yet....just something to chat about during the offseason.
                Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
                  So I was thinking, and with the upcoming Big 10 hockey conference forming what about doing a challenge between two leagues ala the Big 10-ACC basketball challenge each year.
                  So, what you want is the WCHA-Hockey East interlocking schedule a la the 1980s?

I would like something similar, but, obviously, it should not count for the standings like it did in the 80s.

With regards to the details you laid out, I'd say that we stay matched up against either Hockey East or Atlantic Hockey for geographical reasons and we match up 1v1, 2v2, etc. Alternate who plays at home and who plays away each season. And, I think we look at having the games either a week or two before the Christmas break, before the Christmas tournaments start and around the time when students are leaving, so it gives the townies a reason to be take interest in the team and up the attendance.
                  Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                    So, what you want is the WCHA-Hockey East interlocking schedule a la the 1980s?

I would like something similar, but, obviously, it should not count for the standings like it did in the 80s.

With regards to the details you laid out, I'd say that we stay matched up against either Hockey East or Atlantic Hockey for geographical reasons and we match up 1v1, 2v2, etc. Alternate who plays at home and who plays away each season. And, I think we look at having the games either a week or two before the Christmas break, before the Christmas tournaments start and around the time when students are leaving, so it gives the townies a reason to be take interest in the team and up the attendance.
                    I would want the ECAC vs. Hockey East one season and then ECAC vs. whats left of the WCHA the next and so on and so on. Matching 1v1 would be good but anything after that would just be drawn at random so maybe you get a 5v9 and see how a middle of the pack team in the ECAC hangs with a lower rung team in the WCHA for example. Putting the games near Christmas is a good idea but not many teams would go for it with the tournaments, so would end up at the start of the season. The only thing it would count for is overall records and of course whatever bragging rights one can get from playing these games....mostly fan fodder stuff to use on this board and others dedicated to college hockey, and once again a chance to see different teams once in a while.
                    Last edited by fishcore12; 06-09-2011, 08:42 PM.
                    Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

I would want the ECAC vs. Hockey East one season and then ECAC vs. whats left of the WCHA the next and so on and so on. Matching 1v1 would be good but anything after that would just be drawn at random so maybe you get a 5v9 and see how a middle of the pack team in the ECAC hangs with a lower rung team in the WCHA for example. Putting the games near Christmas is a good idea but not many teams would go for it with the tournaments, so would end up at the start of the season. The only thing it would count for is overall records and of course whatever bragging rights one can get from playing these games....mostly fan fodder stuff to use on this board and others dedicated to college hockey, and once again a chance to see different teams once in a while.
                      Alright, so a 5 ECAC v 9 WCHA would work out semi-favorably for the ECAC teams, but a 5 WCHA v 9 ECAC would be, let's see, how do we put this lightly? f*ing terrible? I was against suggesting the beginning of the season since the Ivies would not be able to participate, and if we hold off til the beginning of November when they can actually play, you're looking at the middle of conference play for every other conference / assocation in the country.

Just trying to bring up some ideas that you may not have thought of yet.
                      Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Today is 10 June 2011. There are 113 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 1 October for the start of next season.

That is the day that an exhibition game is supposedly scheduled.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

So I was thinking, and with the upcoming Big 10 hockey conference forming what about doing a challenge between two leagues ala the Big 10-ACC basketball challenge each year. Bringing it closer to home, say the ECAC pairs up with Hockey East and we match up our teams over a weekend or weekends each season and the conference that wins the most games out of that weekend gets bragging rights. Pair different teams or even league up each season so the fans get to see a different opponent each year or every other year...have not thought out the home and away aspect yet....just something to chat about during the offseason.
                          The league actually attempted something like this back in 2004-05 season with the Commissioner's Cup. Each conference played 7 games against other conferences, with pairings chosen from teams' existing schedules before the season began. Ironically enough, I think the ECAC won the first one, though I don't know if the challenge survived to even a second season. If I recall, there was barely any coverage of it, short of a few random news articles. Without marketing it, it was destined to not gain traction. (most people didn't even realize they were watching a Commissioner's cup game)

For events like this, I don't think it's necessary to worry about seeding. First, you can't know how a team is going to perform when deciding the matchups pre-season. Second, anything can happen in a one off game, and David/Goliath is part of the fun. I imagine the easiest way to pull this off would be to designate an HEA-ECAC challenge weekend in early December, alternate the home sites each season, and market the hell out of it. Maybe even convince a tv network like NESN to broadcast one of the marquee match-ups. Most ECAC/HEA teams already play each other fairly regularly, so it is not much of a stretch to designate a specific weekend for something like this.

Personally, I would be far more interested in a challenge with one of the western leagues...though geography and other logistical concerns would make that considerably more difficult to set up.
                          RPI Pep Band Ex-Ex-Ex-...-Ex Conductor

RPI Hockey 1954, 1985
                          UConn Basketball 1999, 2004, 2011, 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Timmah! View Post
                            The league actually attempted something like this back in 2004-05 season with the Commissioner's Cup. Each conference played 7 games against other conferences, with pairings chosen from teams' existing schedules before the season began. Ironically enough, I think the ECAC won the first one, though I don't know if the challenge survived to even a second season. If I recall, there was barely any coverage of it, short of a few random news articles. Without marketing it, it was destined to not gain traction. (most people didn't even realize they were watching a Commissioner's cup game)

For events like this, I don't think it's necessary to worry about seeding. First, you can't know how a team is going to perform when deciding the matchups pre-season. Second, anything can happen in a one off game, and David/Goliath is part of the fun. I imagine the easiest way to pull this off would be to designate an HEA-ECAC challenge weekend in early December, alternate the home sites each season, and market the hell out of it. Maybe even convince a tv network like NESN to broadcast one of the marquee match-ups. Most ECAC/HEA teams already play each other fairly regularly, so it is not much of a stretch to designate a specific weekend for something like this.

Personally, I would be far more interested in a challenge with one of the western leagues...though geography and other logistical concerns would make that considerably more difficult to set up.
                            It did survive for a second season. I don't recall a third. The ECAC indeed won the first one,
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

For your viewing and reading pleasure: http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...d329631983.txt Everybody can come off the ledge now.

Comment

For your viewing and reading pleasure: http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...d329631983.txt Everybody can come off the ledge now.
                                One thing for sure, our coach can sure charm you with his speech. After watching those 2 clips, how can anyone not be anxious for the season to start right now? This may well be our best recruiting class in 25+ years. I have been talking about JL and Neal(the Real Deal) for a long time and cannot wait to see them on the ice in Troy. I strongly suspect we are in for several special years coming up. I have not felt this way since the early 80's. With this group of offensive forwards and big tough defensmen-we are going to present all sorts of problems for the rest of the ECAC. October cannot come fast enough for me.
                                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Working...
                                X