X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Off-Season Thread 2011 Part II: The Bryce is Right

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    Many of the posters on the thread in reference to any possible move by RPI out of the ECAC keep mentioning the possibility of the Ivy League schools bolting. Realistically-what is the chance of that happening? What would they gain and what would they lose by doing so? I only ask this because it seems to me that their leaving and forming their own league may be the only way that RPI leaves and joins HE.
    Not unless the non-ivies start dominating the ECAC again. I won't re-hash the point about recent happenings because I've beaten it to death, but I could see that as being the only reason they'd leave.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
      Many of the posters on the thread in reference to any possible move by RPI out of the ECAC keep mentioning the possibility of the Ivy League schools bolting. Realistically-what is the chance of that happening? What would they gain and what would they lose by doing so? I only ask this because it seems to me that their leaving and forming their own league may be the only way that RPI leaves and joins HE.
      It is extremely unlikely that the Ivies will leave. The only advantage I can see is getting an Ivy only autobid to the tourney. I think they lose far more than they gain by abandoning the rest of the conference. My statement about the Ivies telling us to go away was somewhat tongue in cheek. I agree with you that the Ivies breaking away is probably the only way we would ever see RPI join a new conference. Personally, if the upcoming "reshuffle" creates an opportunity for us to jump ship for HEA, I'm all for it.
      RPI Pep Band Ex-Ex-Ex-...-Ex Conductor

RPI Hockey 1954, 1985
      UConn Basketball 1999, 2004, 2011, 2014

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        Took out the first few parts because not only do I agree, but I think I had also mentioned in my "position" (yes, I'm not a stakeholder, but I can still have an opinion to voice). One thing I believe should be considered, and this I wouldn't know the answer because I wasn't following college hockey back then: Is there any difference between administrative hockey support now, and administrative hockey support back in the mid-to-late 80's, when this move possibility was also being discussed? Given what Coach Appert has been doing for the program from a standpoint of recruiting and national prominence, it seems from what I can see that we're getting some strong administrative support now (independent of other times; I'm not making a comparison). Look at the contract extensions, the new renovations, heck even ECAV! I wouldn't be surprised if the RPI administration were to back a program desire to move to HEA, should it be desired. I don't think the school is dumping millions of dollars into an athletic program just to see it remain mid-major.
        I can't comment on the mindset of pre 2000's RPI administration, though I do have some insights on RPI's current mindset. As I'm sure you know, Shirley Ann Jackson has close ties to MIT. Having attended MIT for grad school, and talking personally with SAJ about the school, I can tell you that she looks to MIT as a model for what she would like RPI to become. MIT has spent many, many millions of dollars creating high end athletic facilities (check out the Z-Center)...despite the fact that their athletics programs are largely non-competitive, even at the division 3 level. High end athletics facilities help to attract students (including non athletes). RPI buildings like the iGym and the ECAV certainly boost our recruitment ability, but do not necessarily suggest a committment to moving out of the ECAC.

SAJ comes across as the kind of person who strongly values associations with elite institutions. My guess is that she (and hence the administration) doesn't view the ECAC as a mid-major conference with limited competitive potential, she instead views it as yet another link between RPI and the upper echelon schools in the US. As for contract extensions and program specific improvements...I remember a time early in her administration where it didn't seem like hockey was even on her radar. It appears that she has started to understand its importance to alumni, and has really come to bat for the team on several occassions. I like this recent commitment, though all of the moves appear to be geared at helping the team to excel, while maintaining the status quo. In my opinion, a move to HEA (short of mass Ivy defection), is outside of the box for what the administration is willing to accept in the current climate. I would be pleasantly surprised if I was wrong on this one though.

RPI Hockey 1954, 1985

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
          Plus we could get drunk over in Boston when we play BU and BC, etc. We need to factor in our alcholic intake and partying.
          But not when we play Harvard?
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Is there anything to substantiate the rumor of RPI thinking about going to HE at this time? The only thing that I see is BC/HE posting a link of a ND to HE story and thinking that RPI would make sense as a 12th school.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Timmah! View Post
              It appears that she has started to understand its importance to alumni, and has really come to bat for the team on several occassions.
              How many hockey games would you say SAJ attends a year?
              I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

My guess is that she (and hence the administration) doesn't view the ECAC as a mid-major conference with limited competitive potential, she instead views it as yet another link between RPI and the upper echelon schools in the US.
                Ding ding ding!!!! We have a winner!
                Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                Is there anything to substantiate the rumor of RPI thinking about going to HE at this time? The only thing that I see is BC/HE posting a link of a ND to HE story and thinking that RPI would make sense as a 12th school.
                Man, Ralph, you always spoil all of the fun. How else are we supposed to fill the off-season?
                Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
                On the order of 1-3. But, that doesn't mean that she hasn't put some institutional support behind the team, which is what I believe said poster is trying to get at.
                Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Define attends. I have seen her at many games, but I don't think that she actually sits through any of them. Possibly the Freakout.
                  Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                  Benjamin Franklin
                  The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                  Gary Player

Comment

Heck if I know. I haven't been to an RPI home game myself in a few seasons. If I had to guess, less than 2.

Don't misinterpret what I have said. "Starting to understand its importance to alumni" is not the same thing as saying that she is an avid supporter of the team. During my time at RPI, she only attended a few token, high visibility games a year. This is politics, not fandom.

RPI Hockey 1954, 1985

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                      Man, Ralph, you always spoil all of the fun. How else are we supposed to fill the off-season?
                      Sorry, I was just trying to figure things out.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Heck if I know. I haven't been to an RPI home game myself in a few seasons. If I had to guess, less than 2.

Don't misinterpret what I have said. "Starting to understand its importance to alumni" is not the same thing as saying that she is an avid supporter of the team. During my time at RPI, she only attended a few token, high visibility games a year. This is politics, not fandom.
                        I agree that it is not really important if she goes, although, it wouldn't hurt. The real importance is if she supports it politically, whih she appears to. She certainly did back at the time that D-III was trying to eliminate our ability to award athletic scholarshios.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Nothing at all but if ND does go to HE and they need a 12th team I believe RPI would be on a very short list of potential teams. Outside of UConn and Quinnipiac I see no other school besides RPI to put into the mix. The landscape of college hockey is going to change pretty quick so as far fetched as this seems right now I would not be totally shocked if this opportunity knocks by the 2013-14 season. I already have the vision of Union and Colgate becoming travel partners and RIT taking RPI's spot in the ECAC.

Comment

I most certainly agree with you regarding "starting to understand its importance to alumni", and I think that's also why the administration backed off on the greek policies that burgie12 and I had mentioned before. The same goes with why engineering students are still (as far as I know from speaking with some current students I know) not required to take biology, but rather it is highly recommended that one of their core science requirement fulfillments is a life science. Obviously the whole requirements regarding where students stay wasn't really touched by most alumni, the same with the exorbitant tuition price increases, but hey, you win some, you lose some.

I know that I saw Dr. Knowles at a majority of the games, including many of the women's games I attended while I played with the band. Dr. Jackson and Dr. Washington not so much so, but once in a while. I don't know if she spends most of her time with the patroons (First Church members, IIRC some of the parishioners are patrooners, is any of this that I say true?), but that would make sense if she's looking to fundraise for her 'tute.

Comment

I agree that it is not really important if she goes, although, it wouldn't hurt. The real importance is if she supports it politically, whih she appears to. She certainly did back at the time that D-III was trying to eliminate our ability to award athletic scholarshios.
                              Exactly. Prop 65 and timely contract extensions are prime examples of what I am talking about when it comes to institutional support. Though attendance certainly isn't mandatory, I am happy to see SAJ at games, because it positively reinforces to her the fans connection with the team.

RPI Hockey 1954, 1985

Comment

I don't really recall seeing her in the Patroon Room, but again as others have said, she only attends maybe 3 games a year. Those that she does attend are the big ticket games, and the Patroon Room gets full quick. I remember seeing her roam the sections in the Field House during intermissions. I would say given the new suite, she'd now woo her potential donors up there.

While she may not be in the Patroon Room, much of her Cabinet was - Kolb, Ginny, Claude, and of course Eddie were there every night. Occasionally I would se Palazzo.
                                Proud founder of the First Church of RPI Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X