New York Campuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York Campuses

My cherub will be at hockey camp this summer in Rochester, NY. My wife and I would like to visit some towns/campuses (D1/D3, doesn't matter, just roaming around) during this time. Not sure yet, but most likely hanging out in the finger lake or adirondack areas. Heard Cornell has a beautiful campus. Any suggestions?

Re: New York Campuses

Cornell is nice. Huge campus. Ithaca is right nearby, but a completely different feel (don't think they have a hockey program). Hobart/William Smith in Geneva is very nice (again no women's hockey). Other option a bit further east are Hamilton (in Clinton, NY) and Colgate in Hamilton, NY. Both have hockey programs and are beautiful campuses. Syracuse is on the way to Colgate from Rochester. Baseball Hall of Fame is not far from Colgate either - Cooperstown is a beautiful town too.

Comment

Originally posted by Genbeau View Post
      My cherub will be at hockey camp this summer in Rochester, NY. My wife and I would like to visit some towns/campuses (D1/D3, doesn't matter, just roaming around) during this time. Not sure yet, but most likely hanging out in the finger lake or adirondack areas. Heard Cornell has a beautiful campus. Any suggestions?
      Well if you are in Rochester, you are within vicinity of many campuses:

RIT (right in town)
      Oswego (1 Hour NE)
      Cornell (1.5 hours SW)
      Elmira (1.5-2 hours SW)
      Colgate (2 hours East)
      Syracuse (1.3 hours East)
      Cortland (1.5 Hours SW)
      Niagara (1 Hour West)
      Buffalo (1 Hour West)
      Mercyhurst (2.5 hours West)
      Utica (1.5 hours east)

Comment

Hamilton College in Clinton is about 1.5 hours away and if your travel dates are 7/13 - 7/21, the coach, assistant coach and some of the girls on the team will be on campus during that time because those are the dates of the Hamilton Girls Hockey camp.

Comment

this time of year Oswego is a great place to visit with all the summer fun - harborfest and fishing. in season it is a real hockey town with a sold out rink for mens games. it is definitely a hockey campus/school compares really well with any other d3 school

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimer View Post
            this time of year Oswego is a great place to visit with all the summer fun - harborfest and fishing. in season it is a real hockey town with a sold out rink for mens games. it is definitely a hockey campus/school compares really well with any other d3 school
            They do have one of the nicest rinks in Womens D3. The only other one that I've seen that comes close is the one in Middlebury.

Comment

Oswego, Middlebury, and Norwich are your top of the line rinks in D-III women's hockey.

RIT, Trinity, and Plattsburgh also have nice ones too.
              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
              GO LAKERS!!!
              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
              Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                Oswego, Middlebury, and Norwich are your top of the line rinks in D-III women's hockey.

RIT, Trinity, and Plattsburgh also have nice ones too.
                I know you may not yet have had the chance to personally experience the awesomeness of the Sid, and it is way east of your sphere of operation, but I have to say Bowdoin's Watson is right up there with Midd's Kenyon, Norwich's Kreutzberg and RIT's Ritter (and no, I haven't been to Oswego, yet).

Comment

If you're going to be in town during the opening of horse racing season, then Saratoga is an absolute must. (I know, it's a drive from Rochester, but if you're a horse racing fan, it's very much worth it.) It opens on 7/23, but just be prepared. I recommend that if you go, go on a weekday, opening weekend will be packed. From Saratoga, you are about a 45 minute drive from RPI, Union, UAlbany (no hockey), Siena (again, no hockey) but the latter two do have "D-I" basketball. Skidmore is about 5 minutes from the track.
                  Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

If you really want to see a hidden gem than travel down to Manhattanville and spend a weekend in NYC. Doesn't get better than that.

Comment

Has this turned into a recruiting thread?

Cause if it has..... a mere 43 minute breathtaking drive Southwest of Cornell will bring you to the campus of Elmira College in Elmira NY. Founded in 1855 this private, coeducational, liberal arts College sits atop 55 historic acres and is built in the traditional Collegiate Gothic architectural style. Elmira College has been voted in the top tier of ``America`s Best College`` by the U.S. News and World Report for 14 consecutive years.

Offering 36 Academic Majors THE Elmira College holds the distinction of being the first College founded to offer degrees to women and is one of only 268 Colleges or Universities in the United States to house the prestigious honour society, Phi Beta Kappa.

A must see if in the area...Campus Tours can be arranged throughout the summer by contacting Admissions at 1-800-935-6472.

...and at the risk of getting Seymore out of hibernation...the MAC is the worlds first geodesic Dome athletic complex and is one of the most unique hockey facilities in the Northwest. The 3200 seat facility has arguably the best ice in D3 hockey...both on the playing surface and in the Booster Club and not a bad Dome Dog either.

Just sayin...
                      Last edited by 5 4 Fighting; 05-31-2011, 07:15 PM. Reason: spell chick

Comment

Huge Campus? Compared to what? Cornell is so small, but yes, beautiful! It's especially lovely in July!

Comment

Originally posted by pakidnyc View Post
                          Huge Campus? Compared to what? Cornell is so small, but yes, beautiful! It's especially lovely in July!
                          Cornell is small? Depends upon what one measures. It's student body when in full session numbers close to 20,000, not huge compared to Big 10 standards but not small compared to most. In terms of land mass it's one of the larger campuses in the US. It's on-campus botanical gardens alone comprise 2,800 acres. Regardless of size, it's one of the most beautiful campuses in the US. Colgate's also an attractive campus not too far from Rochester. Syracuse is also very interesting, though small, it has some incredible architecture on its hillside location. When in Rochester, if you want to tour a smaller campus without a hockey team, the University of Rochester has a cute campus along the Genesee River.

There's a lot of campuses within a 2-hour drive of Rochester.

Comment

Thanks for all the great info everybody! Got some homework to do.
                            Originally posted by ithacat View Post
                            Cornell is small? Depends upon what one measures. It's student body when in full session numbers close to 20,000, not huge compared to Big 10 standards but not small compared to most. In terms of land mass it's one of the larger campuses in the US. It's on-campus botanical gardens alone comprise 2,800 acres. Regardless of size, it's one of the most beautiful campuses in the US. Colgate's also an attractive campus not too far from Rochester. Syracuse is also very interesting, though small, it has some incredible architecture on its hillside location. When in Rochester, if you want to tour a smaller campus without a hockey team, the University of Rochester has a cute campus along the Genesee River.

Comment

I guess I wasn't thinking of the entire campus, but you make some very good points....I was thinking of the "main" area of campus which to me is small and walkable (compared to other campuses we toured, including some Big 10 schools just to see them).

Originally posted by ithacat View Post

Comment

Working...
                              X