Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Im sick of the BTHC fearmongering

Originally posted by gophfan View Post
    So let get this staright here it michigan , Michigan states and Ohio state to subsidize programs like ferris state , lssu , bgsu etc... right?
    Here's some tips.

1. Buy an english book. Pay special attention to the grammar and spelling sections.

2. Stop repeating the same stupid "subsidy" argument over and over again. No one has made that argument in some time. Subsidies would involve checks being cut from the Big Ten schools to the smaller ones. If anything, the creation of a BTHC would increase these subsidies you're so in terror of in the form of paying schools for home games with no return dates.

3. Stop being a toolbag in general.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

well according to the majority of people on here it playing those teams it what keeping the small schools programs from folding.

Comment

well according to the majority of people on here it playing those teams it what keeping the small schools programs from folding.
        Nick's point was the word "subsidy" doesn't mean what you think it means...and you should stop being a tool.
        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
        Originally posted by Quizmire
        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Not a subsidy. What you are questioning is the dependence of small schools on the B1Gs.

To be honest, that's just a sad reality. Basketball programs at small schools can afford to have no self-sustainability because its cheap. Football programs at small schools can (sometimes) afford it because football is so popular.

Hockey has neither going for it, which means that hockey programs at some small schools simply just can't survive on their own. It's a shame, and it's terrible, but it is a harsh truth that will once again rear its ugly head the moment another school decides to join Wayne State, Fairfield and Findlay in the graveyard.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
            Nick's point was the word "subsidy" doesn't mean what you think it means...and you should stop being a tool.
            But mostly the part about being a tool, I think that was his main point.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
              Not a subsidy. What you are questioning is the dependence of small schools on the B1Gs.

To be honest, that's just a sad reality. Basketball programs at small schools can afford to have no self-sustainability because its cheap. Football programs at small schools can (sometimes) afford it because football is so popular.

Hockey has neither going for it, which means that hockey programs at some small schools simply just can't survive on their own. It's a shame, and it's terrible, but it is a harsh truth that will once again rear its ugly head the moment another school decides to join Wayne State, Fairfield and Findlay in the graveyard.
              Neither do the other sports yet they can somehow there not a mass exodus when a big name school adds those sports.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

just like every other sport the NCAA offers and yet they dont have that kinda of dependency. Maybe college hockey should try to change that dependency instead of *****ing about the BTHC.

Comment

You just quoted the same post, in back to back posts, bolding the same phrase. Wow.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

A sizable fraction of the "big" (wealthy) hockey schools mentioned in this thread have names ending in "State." Despite spirited denials of the impact of public tax support upon these athletic programs there is reason to suspect coincidence as the sole cause of this phenomenon. Could this be a regional thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
                      A sizable fraction of the "big" (wealthy) hockey schools mentioned in this thread have names ending in "State." Despite spirited denials of the impact of public tax support upon these athletic programs there is reason to suspect coincidence as the sole cause of this phenomenon. Could this be a regional thing?
                      I don't know why I even reply to you anymore...

They also have the largest enrollment, which means, now see if you can wrap your mind around this, they also have the largest alumni base! Now this concept is really tough, so I'll understand if you don't understand it, but a large alumni base means that the team inherently has a larger fanbase, meaning more people want to watch the games, buy jerseys and hats, donate to the program, etc. Sorry to confuse you.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        I don't know why I even reply to you anymore...

They also have the largest enrollment, which means, now see if you can wrap your mind around this, they also have the largest alumni base! Now this concept is really tough, so I'll understand if you don't understand it, but a large alumni base means that the team inherently has a larger fanbase, meaning more people want to watch the games, buy jerseys and hats, donate to the program, etc. Sorry to confuse you.
                        Thanks for your opinion. It occurred to me that the twelve member schools of the ECAC hockey conference are all private schools, whereas some other conferences are comprised chiefly, if not exclusively, of state schools. Yes, all ECAC schools receive some government funding, but tax dollars are not their main source of income. Also, if facts are to be considered, most ECAC schools have relatively small enrollments, especially when compared to the state schools in other conferences.

Still, the majority of ECAC hockey programs appear to be quite healthy and reasonably competitive. The health of college hockey programs seems to depend upon factors other than total enrollment and alumni donations specifically earmarked for hockey programs. Money is a plausible factor, and the difference between a big state school and a small state school depends primarily upon the state budget.

Well-known facts and obvious conclusions were repeated above not because they are news, but because I'm not the one who is confused here.
                        Last edited by Osorojo; 05-31-2011, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Small schools in the WCHA don't strive to be "reasonably competitive", they are in it to win it all. See: UMD 2010-2011 Season.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

http://www.gazette.com/sports/hockey...force-air.html

[Air Force AD] Mueh said he had been contacted by Bowling Green athletic director Greg Christopher, who asked if the Falcons might be interested in joining the CCHA.

Mueh took the question to Serratore, and the men discussed the idea. They chatted very briefly before dismissing any thought of change.

“Who can argue with four out of five years in the NCAAs?” Mueh asked. “Why would we switch?”
                            Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                            B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                            CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                            ECAC:
                            HEA: UMass
                            NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                            Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

. Also, if facts are to be considered, most ECAC schools have relatively small enrollments, especially when compared to the state schools in other conferences.

Still, the majority of ECAC hockey programs appear to be quite healthy and reasonably competitive.
                              BAHAHHAHAHAH, reasonably competitive? With who...other ECAC schools?

The health of college hockey programs seems to depend upon factors other than total enrollment and alumni donations specifically earmarked for hockey programs.
                              No one is debating this. Nice straw man you built there. It is interesting how you left out alumni donations from your Ivy League point, focusing only on enrollment there.

The IVY's are "reasonably competitive" with other schools due to other factors, namely that they have a history and reputation. They also have a "needs" based financial aid package that if I remember correctly from past arguments means that anyone who comes from a home earning less then 100K+ gets a free ride. Basically, instead of 18 athletic scholarships that other teams are limited to, they are able to offer "Academic scholarships" to the entire team. That comes from endowments.

Regarding alumni, well oh math challenged little fella, If you have an average enrollment of 5000 say over the course of 300 years is that more or less then having an average enrollment of 30,000 over 50 years? ok ok trick question, but I think you may get the point although probably not.
                              Originally posted by Hokydad
                              Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                                BAHAHHAHAHAH, reasonably competitive? With who...other ECAC schools?

No one is debating this. Nice straw man you built there. It is interesting how you left out alumni donations from your Ivy League point, focusing only on enrollment there.

The IVY's are "reasonably competitive" with other schools due to other factors, namely that they have a history and reputation. They also have a "needs" based financial aid package that if I remember correctly from past arguments means that anyone who comes from a home earning less then 100K+ gets a free ride. Basically, instead of 18 athletic scholarships that other teams are limited to, they are able to offer "Academic scholarships" to the entire team. That comes from endowments.

Regarding alumni, well oh math challenged little fella, If you have an average enrollment of 5000 say over the course of 300 years is that more or less then having an average enrollment of 30,000 over 50 years? ok ok trick question, but I think you may get the point although probably not.
                                You'll have to forgive Bear Red. He thinks the clutch and grab is entertaining.

Comment

Working...
                                X