• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowdoin Forfeits NESCAC Championship due to Hazing

http://www.bowdoindailysun.com/2011/...hard-decision/

Re: Bowdoin Forfeits NESCAC Championship due to Hazing

Originally posted by AldenPartridge1819 View Post
    Wow. Kudos to Bowdoin for making a very strong statement against hazing.
    Last edited by PrezdeJohnson09; 05-23-2011, 11:50 AM.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

Today, Bowdoin and by virtue of association, the NESCAC has earned significant respect. I still find the remarks by Middlebury's "president" that I previously quoted to be obnoxious, but this action by Bowdoin shows class and determination to stand up for their beliefs. KUDOS to them!!!
      Larry Normandin
      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Bowdoin is definitely a "class act". Too bad all institutions from Middle Schools to the Pros don't apply this same level of accountability to their athletes and teams. We would all be far better if this was the rule rather than the exception.
        John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
        AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
        AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
        NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
        NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
        NCAA DII - 1983
        NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

If they had gone 4-0 in the NCAA's, would we be having this conversation?

I don't know - I really don't know.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            If they had gone 4-0 in the NCAA's, would we be having this conversation?

I don't know - I really don't know.
            I would hope so.
            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

wow. not sure how I feel about this. Hazing is wrong, that I dont debate.

Comment

The Bowdoin Community seems to be nearly unanimous in their support of the decision. Kudos to them..
                Formerly known as NUSuntan

Comment

Hats off to the Bowdoin College and student body for taking this stand against "Hazing". It's hard to understand why in this day and age why these incidents continue to pop up sporadically. We had one here in Windsor with the Spitfires a couple of years ago and the same strong message was sent at that time. I hope that other teams and schools can learn from Bowdoin's example and that this will be one of the last times any student athlete is subject to this humliation process.

Comment

Is anyone else as surprised as I am by how little chatter this has raised?
                    I think Bowdoin did exactly the right thing ... just curious as to how little reaction there has been.

Comment

Because it only affected a conference title. But if they had forfeited an NCAA title, then we would have blown the thread up.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        Because it only affected a conference title. But if they had forfeited an NCAA title, then we would have blown the thread up.
                        It also changed the winner of the interlock pick'em title.
                        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

It appears there is strong support for the sanctions rendered against the Bowdoin hockey team. I certainly agree there was definitely some form of hazing and there needed to be consequences. The administration could not turn a blind eye. But, I contend that the punishment was far too harsh for the crime.

There are degrees of hazing and deciding the severity of hazing is very subjective. Hazing to some may conjure up images of extreme physical, emotional and mental abuse. On the other hand, standing up and having to sing or perform in front of peers is a benign form of hazing. I think it would be naïve to believe that there exists no form of hazing according to definition and I believe most teams, associations or organizations have such rituals that can be construed as hazing. Where was the Bowdoin hockey team on this continuum? According to some sources the hockey initiation activity has been passed down from year to year and apparently, in recent years the activity had been modified to a vastly more “acceptable level”. There was clearly no physical abuse and arguably minimal emotional damage. This team was following a set of group norms that had been established long before they were part of the college. Were these players the “chosen” group to break tradition? The administration must have had an inkling of initiation activities on campus. Was there a way an enlightened administration could have proactively led this or other groups out of this socially binding contract?

Was this an opportunity for the school to send a message to all teams and organizations on campus? If so then this team was the “sacrificial lamb”. The administration chose to forfeit this team’s accomplishments on the ice to make a statement. It seems a very high price to pay for the individual hockey players and the team as a whole. Again, my point isn’t that there should not have been consequences but to strip the hockey team of its first NESAC championship is extreme. I believe there were more appropriate and creative means of seeking justice such as social probation, suspensions and community service to name a few. Also, being the cynic I am, was this a convenient way for Bowdoin to espouse its superior moral code and elevate its reputation within the academic circles.

I don’t see this punishment as doing more than building resentment and mistrust amongst the student body and leaving the team, particularly the hockey graduates wondering how quickly they were devalued as members of the Bowdoin community.

Does the punishment fit the crime?

Comment

My sentiments, Fan3. I've been a little bit surprised at all the cheer leading on this website and the Bowdoin website for the imposition of this punishment in this particular case. After all, it seems highly unlikely that this was the first year that freshmen hockey players were initiated in some way at Bowdoin. And even more unlikely is the idea that the Bowdoin hockey team is the only team at Bowdoin with initiation rituals. The only thing that is unique is that this is the first time it happened after winning the NESCAC championship for the first time ever. And then you have the Bowdoin President saying that no one was harmed and that the people who were involved were "good" people, so I question whether this punishment fit the crime and whether the hockey team was being used by the administration to send some kind of a message to the team and the larger community. I might think otherwise if I learned that these rituals were truly abusive but I have heard nothing to that effect other than that drinking was involved . .

Comment

Originally posted by d3follower View Post
                              My sentiments, Fan3. I've been a little bit surprised at all the cheer leading on this website and the Bowdoin website for the imposition of this punishment in this particular case. After all, it seems highly unlikely that this was the first year that freshmen hockey players were initiated in some way at Bowdoin. And even more unlikely is the idea that the Bowdoin hockey team is the only team at Bowdoin with initiation rituals. The only thing that is unique is that this is the first time it happened after winning the NESCAC championship for the first time ever. And then you have the Bowdoin President saying that no one was harmed and that the people who were involved were "good" people, so I question whether this punishment fit the crime and whether the hockey team was being used by the administration to send some kind of a message to the team and the larger community. I might think otherwise if I learned that these rituals were truly abusive but I have heard nothing to that effect other than that drinking was involved . .
                              A bright solid line which says nothing of this nature will be tolerated is not a bad thing. It may hurt for the players involved, but I bet that such events don't EVER take place on campus again - and in my opinion, having seen the way a fuzzy line is approached, that's a good thing. Sucks to be them, but the long run value is a lesson for all. I've seen the fall out from hazing episodes, and it ain't pretty.
                              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Working...
                              X