This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Things Denver XXXI

So I had to check and make sure I had the roman numerals right. 31 threads, wow, can you believe it? I think I started posted around XIV!!! I wonder what you giuys were talking about in Thread # I ??? Who were the big name players then, had we won a Natl championship yet? Any "All Things" historians out there?
    "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
    Tom Serratore

Re: All Things Denver XXXI

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
    So I had to check and make sure I had the roman numerals right. 31 threads, wow, can you believe it? I think I started posted around XIV!!! I wonder what you giuys were talking about in Thread # I ??? Who were the big name players then, had we won a Natl championship yet? Any "All Things" historians out there?

Link to first All Things DU

CO14er started it on January 6, 2005, in between the 2004 and 2005 championships.

First post by CO14er
    Since people have complained about us DU folk talking about non-matchup specific stuff, I've created this thread for that purpose. We can talk about the DU AD situation, making DU hockey more fun and exciting for fans, etc. I'd really like to get some ideas here for the latter that maybe we could present to the powers that be, like Swami's idea of getting a Booster club going. I know some folks that would totally be into that kind of thing.
    Last edited by du78; 05-23-2011, 08:44 AM.
    DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Oh well, perhaps next year they can sell some shoes

Comment

For Denver fans who may want to seek info about the other three teams in the Lacrosse Final Four here are some links which can be of help. Think of it as 'one-stop-shopping' for the lacrosse Final Four.

Maryland===>http://www.umterps.com/sports/m-lacr...cros-body.html

Duke===>http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.db...27&SPSID=25937

Virginia===>http://www.virginiasports.com/SportS...01&SPSID=88761
        sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
          Link to first All Things DU

CO14er started it on January 6, 2005, in between the 2004 and 2005 championships.

First post by CO14er
          Very interesting. We did tie with CC that year for the McNaughton cup correct? I notice Swami predicted we wouldn't win it in his typical pessimism. Good old Swami, I miss him!!!
          Tom Serratore

Comment

The ECAC finally gets a final four team!!!
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Very interesting. We did tie with CC that year for the McNaughton cup correct? I notice Swami predicted we wouldn't win it in his typical pessimism. Good old Swami, I miss him!!!
              You are correct. I expect a heated battle between CC and DU this season just like that year.

Comment

That makes two of us. DG's Harvard story is hardly unique. I recall fondly (sorry if you've heard this before) the time one of Willi's ski teams, loaded with Olympians (from both sides of the pond) was invited to the Dartmouth Winter Carnival. DU went through those east coast weenies like crap through a goose, naturally. Subsequently the Dartmouth student paper editorialized that inviting DU to the Winter Carnival was like inviting the Green Bay Packers to a touch football tournament, and maybe there should be no more invitations forthcoming. Booyah.

This party was well underway when I came staggering in. And with the exception of a couple of bar fights, it's been an honor and privilege to be part of this community.
                Last edited by Old Pio; 05-23-2011, 03:54 PM.
                2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post

This party was well underway when I came staggering in. And with the exception of a couple of bar fights, it's been an honor and privilege to be part of this community.
                  More bar fights stories please. :-)

Interesting situation developed today. The Lacrosse Final Four draws 60,000 fans buying three day passes. Its all sold out. Has been for a long time apparently. DU makes the big dance and they only get 250-300 tickets???

Keep in mind that there are 43 players on the DU roster. That doesn't seem to be very many when you consider player relatives, coach's families, alumni, fans, faculty, students, donors, VIPS, lacrosse alumni....

Luckily, ticket prices don't seem to be that out of line on StubHub. Unless you like to sit in the Club Seats. Then a family of four will set you back $1,000-$2,000.
                  Last edited by dggoddard; 05-23-2011, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                    More bar fights stories please. :-)

Interesting situation developed today. The Lacrosse Final Four draws 60,000 fans buying three day passes. Its all sold out. Has been for a long time apparently. DU makes the big dance and they only get 250-300 ticket???

Keep in mind that there are 43 players on the DU roster. That doesn't seem to be very many when you consider player relatives, coach's families, alumni, fans, faculty, students, donors, VIPS, lacrosse alumni....

Luckily, ticket prices don't seem to be that out of line on StubHub. Unless you like to sit in the Club Seats. Then a family of four will set you back $1,000-$2,000.
                    No actual punches or bar stools thrown. Just a couple of occasions when we violated what should be our XI th Commandment (IMHO): "thou shalt be respectful of other DU posters."

Okay, one bar fight story (not related to this board). About a decade ago one of the brothers at my fraternity was a very serious and dangerous boxer. One night at the Border, some clown was pushing one of our pledges around. The kid described to me a "fist coming from nowhere" that went whistling by his ear and kocked the bully OUT OF HIS SHOES! This same guy subsequently put out the lights of a couple of DU basketball players who didn't understand the phrase: "You're not invited to this party."
                    Last edited by Old Pio; 05-23-2011, 05:41 PM.

Comment

So CC gets their stud back!! Any thoughts on this?
                      Tom Serratore

Comment

So CC gets their stud back!! Any thoughts on this?
                        No empirical standards for what a "stud" is, right? I mean, does being the one horse in a corral (or should I say chorale?) full of ponies make you a stud? Of whom do you speak?
                        Last edited by Old Pio; 05-23-2011, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Did something happen to Swami that I didn't hear about?
                          University of Denver Pioneers
                          NCAA Champs: '58, '60, '61, '68, '69, '04 and '05. Soon to be... 2011
                          NCAA Runner-Up: '63, '64, and '73

Comment

Originally posted by GO_PIOS View Post
                            Did something happen to Swami that I didn't hear about?
                            Information is scarce, but last I heard he was taken “up” during the rapture.

Comment

Originally posted by Cross-Czech View Post
                              Information is scarce, but last I heard he was taken “up” during the rapture.
                              A friend of a friend told me he thinks he saw Swami holding up a cardboard sign at an intersection in Colorado Springs near the location of a very famous pawn shop.
                              DU Pioneer Hockey. National Champions: 1958, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969, 2004, 2005
                              sigpic
                              WCHA arenas I have visited: Magness, Kohl, Sullivan, National Hockey Center, DECC, Cleveland Steamer World Arena (CSWA)

Thanks for your friendship Jimbo!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X