This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXXI

I've been wanting to get this off my chest for a while now. And I apologize in advance for anyone who's unfairly characterized by what I'm about to say.

OPEN LETTER TO WHOMEVER IT WAS WHO CONFRONTED AND PERHAPS THREATENED PUCK SWAMI LAST SEASON AT MAGNESS.

We're all looking forward to the new season. Even with the question marks in goal, the Pioneers are very highly thought of nationally, and could be in the running for their 8th national title.

However, one thing that takes a bit of the edge off for most of us is the absense of Puck Swami from these boards. He's easily the most respected DU poster, and brings decades of reporting on Pioneer hockey to bear in his posts. He is a professional, and as such tries to use a gimlet eye when he analyzes the Pioneers. From time to time he includes gentle criticism of our players in. It's intended to be helpful and is certainly less pointed then what players hear from the coaches.

I've known Swami for over 20 years. We are fraternity brothers. And that means a great deal to each of us.

For those of us who are out of town, our understanding is that you angrily confronted Swami at Magness last year, all lathered up about something he posted here. Our further understanding is that you are a hockey parent. Well, let me explain some facts which you seem to have overlooked. It is your son whom we welcome as a member of that long tradition called DU hockey, not you. It is your son whose exploits on the ice we cheer, not you. It is your son whom we hope to welcome as an alumnus of the University of Denver, not you.

So if you're around this season I would recommend you lay off the adult beverages and clean up your act. You are our guest. In our house. Don't forget it again. It's not unreasonable to ask you to behave like an adult. And if you can't, then you should take it on down the road. And in the unlikely event your son has the rabbit ears, I'll quote Kirk Douglas from "In Harm's Way," ". . .take this punk with you."

I don't know if we'll be able to convince Swami to rejoin us here. If we can't, it would certainly be a pity and would diminish our enjoyment of the season. You may be proud of yourself for "standing up" for your son. I'm guessing he isn't.
    Last edited by Old Pio; 09-26-2011, 12:38 AM.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
      I've been wanting to get this off my chest for a while now. And I apologize in advance for anyone who's unfairly characterized by what I'm about to say.

OPEN LETTER TO WHOEVER IT WAS WHO CONFRONTED AND PERHAPS THREATENED PUCK SWAMI LAST SEASON AT MAGNESS.

We're all looking forward to the new season. Even with the question marks in goal, the Pioneers are very highly thought of nationally, and could be in the running for their 8th national title.

However, one thing that takes a bit of the edge off for most of us is the absense of Puck Swami from these boards. He's easily the most respected DU poster, and brings decades of reporting on Pioneer hockey to bear in his posts. He is a professional, and as such tries to use a gimlet eye when he analyzes the Pioneers. From time to time he includes gentle criticism of our players in. It's intended to be helpful and is certainly less pointed then what players hear from the coaches.

I've known Swami for over 20 years. We are fraternity brothers. And that means a great deal to each of us.

For those of us who are out of town, our understanding is that you angrily confronted Swami at Magness last year, all lathered up about something he posted here. Our further understanding is that you are a hockey parent. Well, let me explain some facts which you seem to have overlooked. It is your son whom we welcome as a member of that long tradition called DU hockey, not you. It is your son whose exploits on the ice we cheer, not you. It is your son whom we hope to welcome as an alumnus of the University of Denver, not you.

So if you're around this season I would recommend you lay off the adult beverages and clean up your act. You are our guest. In our house. And it's not unreasonable to ask you to behave like an adult. And if you can't, then you should take it on down the road. And in the unlikely event your son has the rabbit ears, I'll quote Kirk Douglas from "In Harm's Way," ". . .take this punk with you."
      I am not taking a position on this, however I want to say that I happen to like the man behind the "Swami" moniker. Yet...

He, how do I put this...well...He has probably overstepped what should be considered boundaries for a fan from time to time over the years and some people (well...a lot) including parents, players and administrative people have taken quite an exception to it. To be honest, I truly believe he comes from the heart but I am sure he has some regrets as well. I personally tried to say "chill out" last season and I caught a ration of crap which I probably did not handle as well as I should have, however I was trying to help everyone out. If friendly advice had been heeded, this situation may not have come to such a peak, however it may have been inevitable anyhow, I don't really know. This is about all I can offer right now...

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
        Even after taking an illegal, suspendable hit on Saturday in Buffalo,
        http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...id=DL|NHL|home
        Joe Colborne will be starting the season with the Marlies.
        http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news....id=DL|TOR|home
        The NCAA has addressed head contact over the summer. Basically, it is always the responsibility of the player dishing the hit to avoid any and all head and/or neck contact.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...0News%20Direct

Sort of blows away the UND fans' defense of brad malone...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
          I am not taking a position on this, however I want to say that I happen to like the man behind the "Swami" moniker. Yet...

He, how do I put this...well...He has probably overstepped what should be considered boundaries for a fan from time to time over the years and some people (well...a lot) including parents, players and administrative people have taken quite an exception to it. To be honest, I truly believe he comes from the heart but I am sure he has some regrets as well. I personally tried to say "chill out" last season and I caught a ration of crap which I probably did not handle as well as I should have, however I was trying to help everyone out. If friendly advice had been heeded, this situation may not have come to such a peak, however it may have been inevitable anyhow, I don't really know. This is about all I can offer right now...
          Chris, for Christ's sake, what "boundaries" are you referring to? He's expressing his opinions. He's not crossing into private areas, like girl friends, booze and/or drugs, sexual orientation, nor should he. Who sets these "boundaries?" Where are they written down? How can anyone know for certain if he's violated these "boundaries?" I just know that he's apparantly been intimidated into not posting here anymore. That can't be all right with you. He's got all the credentials he needs to post here: he's a DU fan and a DU grad. Case closed. Any parents or players who are upset with Swami's posts ought to grow up and shut up. And any "administrator" unhappy with his posts should take a long walk off a short pier. If there's another point of view, they're free to offer it. If he's factually wrong or ignorant of some relevant data, then tell us. We're adults. We can handle it.

Naturally I'm glad you tried to ameliorate the situation. But you really shouldn't have to. If Swami's comments were deliberately destructive, unnecessarily pointed, designed to hurt a player or otherwise run down the team, I could understand it. But what Swami's trying to do, among other things, is bring a little journalistic balance to bear in his posts. I'm guessing the "administrators" you referred to are more upset with his financial analysis of the athletic department than anything he's said about the Pioneers. But even if he were all that negative, why the overreaction? If we're talking about players here, why the rabbit ears? What do they hear when they play a game in the Springs or REA? What do they hear from the coaches after coughing up a winnable game?
          Last edited by Old Pio; 09-26-2011, 01:17 AM.
          2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Chris, for Christ's sake, what "boundaries" are you referring to? He's expressing his opinions. He's not crossing into private areas, like girl friends, booze and/or drugs, sexual orientation, nor should he. Who sets these "boundaries?" Where are they written down? How can anyone know for certain if he's violated these "boundaries?" I just know that he's apparantly been intimidated into not posting here anymore. That can't be all right with you. He's got all the credentials he needs to post here: he's a DU fan and a DU grad. Case closed. Any parents or players who are upset with Swami's posts ought to grow up and shut up. And any "administrator" unhappy with his posts should take a long walk off a short pier. If there's another point of view, they're free to offer it. If he's factually wrong or ignorant of some relevant data, then tell us. We're adults. We can handle it.

Naturally I'm glad you tried to ameliorate the situation. But you really shouldn't have to. If Swami's comments were destructive, unnecessarily pointed, designed to hurt a player or otherwise run down the team, I could understand it. But what Swami's trying to do, among other things, is bring a little journalistic balance to bear in his posts. I'm guessing the "administrators" you referred to are more upset with his financial analysis of the athletic department than anything he's said about the Pioneers. But even if he were all that negative, why the overreaction? If we're talking about players here, why the rabbit ears? What do they hear when they play a game in the Springs or REA? What do they hear from the coaches after coughing up a winnable game?
            From what I understand, it's not necessarily what he had been publicly posting on the internet -- there have been rumblings, and discontent for years regarding certain other things. I believe the public postings were just the tipping point.

I will say that any threats thrown his way were definitely uncalled for and I really don't know about that drama which occurred.
            Last edited by Chris; 09-26-2011, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Even after taking an illegal, suspendable hit on Saturday in Buffalo,
              http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...id=DL|NHL|home
              Joe Colborne will be starting the season with the Marlies.
              http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news....id=DL|TOR|home
              Pat Mullen also sent fro LA to Manchester.

Donovan and Rock both in line-up to play the Flames in Calgary on Tuesday night.

http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo...ed:i=1.3201500
              Last edited by du78; 09-26-2011, 09:56 AM.
              DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

5 days and counting

Add my 2cents on Swami: I miss his posts!
                Last season is over. Fans are entitled to have opinions without fear of threats. Can't we begin the new season with all hands on board and agree to support our team?
                Last edited by vizoroo; 09-26-2011, 10:56 AM.
                GO DU !!!

Comment

5 days and counting
                  2010-11 Hockey Montage from DU

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                    From what I understand, it's not necessarily what he had been publicly posting on the internet -- there have been rumblings, and discontent for years regarding certain other things. I believe the public postings were just the tipping point.

I will say that any threats thrown his way were definitely uncalled for and I really don't know about that drama which occurred.
                    Well, that would be the only thing that would make sense, because his posts here are NOTHING to get upset about--always balanced, sometimes critical, but never over the line in any respect. Actually, pretty mild compared to what you see on other sports message boards. I'm sure Swami will be back when he's ready. In the meantime, any idiot who may have confronted him needs to get a life. It's SPORTS, for god's sake. People talk about sports. People talk about players' performances. If a player or his over-sensitive family can't handle it, they shouldn't play hockey at DU or any other D-1 school.

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
                      Well, that would be the only thing that would make sense, because his posts here are NOTHING to get upset about--always balanced, sometimes critical, but never over the line in any respect. Actually, pretty mild compared to what you see on other sports message boards. I'm sure Swami will be back when he's ready. In the meantime, any idiot who may have confronted him needs to get a life. It's SPORTS, for god's sake. People talk about sports. People talk about players' performances. If a player or his over-sensitive family can't handle it, they shouldn't play hockey at DU or any other D-1 school.
                      Here here Barrister Pablo!!
                      "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                      Tom Serratore

Comment

Bruce Ciskie's ballot for the preseason Media poll. Results are expected later this week.

1. Denver -- Jason Zucker, Drew Shore, David Makowski ... need I say more? There's a lot of pressure on Adam Murray in goal, but George Gwozdecky's team probably has the fewest holes.

Preseason All-WCHA team (alphabetical order where applicable)
                        Forwards -- Jack Connolly, UMD; Jaden Schwartz, Colorado College; Jason Zucker, Denver
                        Defensemen -- Ben Blood, North Dakota; Justin Schultz, Wisconsin
                        Goalie -- Aaron Dell, North Dakota

Preseason Player of the Year: Jason Zucker, F, Denver
                        GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post

Not only are we just talking sports, but these players are boys. Boys who are growing up under thousands of extra watchful eyes. Maybe some of you did it too.. Bet you were able to brush off joe hockey coming up to you and commenting on your "game" or lack thereof. There are plenty of idiots in the stands who say too much, parents and fans.

Comment

DU #4 in preseason USCHO Poll.

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/d-i-mens-poll/

Comment

OPEN LETTER TO WHOMEVER IT WAS WHO CONFRONTED AND PERHAPS THREATENED PUCK SWAMI LAST SEASON AT MAGNESS.

So if you're around this season I would recommend you lay off the adult beverages and clean up your act. You are our guest. In our house. Don't forget it again. It's not unreasonable to ask you to behave like an adult. And if you can't, then you should take it on down the road. And in the unlikely event your son has the rabbit ears, I'll quote Kirk Douglas from "In Harm's Way," ". . .take this punk with you."

I don't know if we'll be able to convince Swami to rejoin us here. If we can't, it would certainly be a pity and would diminish our enjoyment of the season. You may be proud of yourself for "standing up" for your son. I'm guessing he isn't.

I’ve got two words for you and your frat brother.

Comment

Originally posted by towne04 View Post
                                Not only are we just talking sports, but these players are boys. Boys who are growing up under thousands of extra watchful eyes. Maybe some of you did it too.. Bet you were able to brush off joe hockey coming up to you and commenting on your "game" or lack thereof. There are plenty of idiots in the stands who say too much, parents and fans.
                                I get that. But Swami (and the rest of the regular posters on this board) never say anything too personal about the kids that would cause any controversy. Swami occasionally gave mid-season grades to players. But even then, they were well-reasoned, and he often gave "incompletes" rather than actual grades when a non-marquee player was underperforming. Sure, there are idiots who go too far. But unless there was something going on outside the boundaries of the message boards, I have a hard time believing that Swami is one of them.

Comment

Working...
                                X