• Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXXI

DU Alums continued

Aaron MacKenzie

Brock Trotter

Co-Captains: Dusty Jackson & Drew Shore
    Asst. Captains: John Lee & Paul Phillips
    Last edited by du78; 09-09-2011, 02:42 PM.
    DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Chevy traded to Phoenix:
      Link

r

Comment

For any Android users, this PioNation app just dropped in the market:

https://market.android.com/details?i...sports.du.free

Comment

As a Sioux fan, I'm intrigued to know if Denver fans think CC or UND will be a bigger rival in the NCHC? I'm assuming CC because of proximity. However, I'm not so sure that Denver hasn't become the biggest NCHC rival for me--over Duluth. Duluth is close and they'll be a good rival. However, the historical success of Denver and UND makes it the most intriguing rivalry in the NCHC for me.
          University of North Dakota

National Championships: 8
          Frozen Fours: 22
          Conference Titles: 17
          14 consecutive NCAA tournament appearances

Comment

Originally posted by TheEagle View Post
            As a Sioux fan, I'm intrigued to know if Denver fans think CC or UND will be a bigger rival in the NCHC? I'm assuming CC because of proximity. However, I'm not so sure that Denver hasn't become the biggest NCHC rival for me--over Duluth. Duluth is close and they'll be a good rival. However, the historical success of Denver and UND makes it the most intriguing rivalry in the NCHC for me.
            you even considered UMD? you sir did not see the dasher dance in person...

Comment

Originally posted by TheEagle View Post
              As a Sioux fan, I'm intrigued to know if Denver fans think CC or UND will be a bigger rival in the NCHC?
              Its a great question.

Among the serious hockey fans, its UND. Among longtime Colorado residents its CC. Among the students its CC.

Long term DU and UND should be looking to join the same conference in all sports. That will push UND over the top as most bitter rival IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                Its a great question.

Among the serious hockey fans, its UND. Among longtime Colorado residents its CC. Among the students its CC.

Long term DU and UND should be looking to join the same conference in all sports. That will push UND over the top as most bitter rival IMO.
                That's basically the exact same situation for North Dakota between UND-DU and UND-Minnesota.

I'm also looking forward to my first DU-CC game at Magness. I went to one a few years ago down in the Springs, and I was a little surprised at the lack of intensity from the fans.
                North Dakota
                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

21 days (3 weeks) and counting
                  GO DU !!!

Comment

It's hard to imagine that UND will ever surpass CC in my mind as a rival. Right now, UND represents more of a consistent rivalry for league position, but there are some things that just stay. The Yankees greatest rival will never ever be the Orioles or the Rays under any circumstances. I will never think of UND as a bigger rival than CC. Right now, they are as big in my mind, but that could come and go.

Comment

Back in the day, the "rivalry" between DU and CC was hardly worthy of the name. Sort of like Texas and Rice, in name only. One year CC refused to play the Pioneers after a fight in the World Arena, which meant we had no games with the two worst teams in the league, CC and Minnesota. It's UND, baby.

There was the '67 WCHA playoff game (winner advances to the FF) UND leading 4-1 after two. DU scores three in the third and wins it in OT. That's the game that brought Chancellor Chester Alter running out on the ice to embrace Murray in a bear hug. Memorable.

A regular season game at the Arena, tied, very very late. DU scores at 19:59 of the 3rd.

'68 NC game: DU survives a furious first period UND attack and scores four in the 3rd, 4-0 National Title.

Oh yeah, it's UND.
                      Last edited by Old Pio; 09-10-2011, 04:30 PM.
                      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                        Back in the day, the "rivalry" between DU and CC was hardly worthy of the name. Sort of like Texas and Rice, in name only. One year CC refused to play the Pioneers after a fight in the World Arena, which meant we had no games with the two worst teams in the league, CC and Minnesota. It's UND, baby.

There was the '67 WCHA playoff game (winner advances to the FF) UND leading 4-1 after two. DU scores three in the third and wins it in OT. That's the game that brought Chancellor Chester Alter running out on the ice to embrace Murray in a bear hug. Memorable.

A regular season game at the Arena, tied, very very late. DU scores at 19:59 of the 3rd.

'68 NC game: DU survives a furious first period UND attack and scores four in the 3rd, 4-0 National Title.

Oh yeah, it's UND.

And don't forget about 2005!!!!
                        "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                        Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                          I believe I heard the story about this fight. Wasn't it something like a DU player gave a little 2-handed whack to a CC guy's head and all he-ll broke loose with multiple fights and the CC fans throwing crap at the DU players from the stands and such...and the refs had to remove DU from the ice in order to restore order?

Comment

On the topic of old school, playing at CC stuff...My best friend growing up, his dad was a defenseman at DU from '67-71 (Danny Helm, a co-captain his senior year) and one of his favorite stories to tell us as kids was how, as a sophomore, he was suited up as the 6th d-man (Murray basically only rolled his top 4 d-men) and the benches at the old World Arena were kinda short so if there were empty seats behind the bench, Murray would have his last d-man sit in the stands (there was a funky side door to the bench) to free up space, until needed, and that Danny sat there one game eating popcorn with his future wife while in full uniform, watching the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                              I believe I heard the story about this fight. Wasn't it something like a DU player gave a little 2-handed whack to a CC guy's head and all he-ll broke loose with multiple fights and the CC fans throwing crap at the DU players from the stands and such...and the refs had to remove DU from the ice in order to restore order?
                              It was at the Broadmoor and it was one I missed. But I think your version is probably about right, Jimbo would have all the skinny, of course. IIRC the key player involved for CC was named Palm. And at some point DU players got up into the stands. It was very ugly.But the long and the short of it was DU lost at least six games, maybe 8, with the two bottom dwellers. I think we replaced 'em with the Czech nationals, which didn't help in the standings. Probably cost us a MacNaughton. And the long time "principled" stand of the Gophers hiding from us probably cost more than one MacNaughton.

There were certainly some DU guys who'd happily deliver a "little 2 handed whack."

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                                On the topic of old school, playing at CC stuff...My best friend growing up, his dad was a defenseman at DU from '67-71 (Danny Helm, a co-captain his senior year) and one of his favorite stories to tell us as kids was how, as a sophomore, he was suited up as the 6th d-man (Murray basically only rolled his top 4 d-men) and the benches at the old World Arena were kinda short so if there were empty seats behind the bench, Murray would have his last d-man sit in the stands (there was a funky side door to the bench) to free up space, until needed, and that Danny sat there one game eating popcorn with his future wife while in full uniform, watching the game.
                                That's terrific, I met Danny at the old barn one time, he was working as a goal judge.
                                Last edited by Old Pio; 09-11-2011, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X