X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXXI

Originally posted by du78 View Post
    Link to super league press conference on DU website. Wednesday at 11AM MT.

http://www.denverpioneers.com/ViewAr...CLID=205180422
    Rest assured ESPN will not be talking about it. They have a date with Team USA during that time. Go USA!
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Northern Michigan and Alaska moving to the WCHA?
      are they the ones that have been killing college Hockey?
      I'm the guy with the gold jersey in Magness, who is probably drunk or at least getting in trouble for obscene cheers.

"You all saw what happened. Stick down, gloves off, He challenged the Chiefs. Called us names, CALLED US NAMES!"

CC's titles are older than NASA

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
        Rest assured ESPN will not be talking about it. They have a date with Team USA during that time. Go USA!
        Well then, maybe we should kill the deal. In any case, Minnesota can reinstate it's coveted policy of hiding from DU. Go Gophers, and don't come back.
        2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
          In any case, Minnesota can reinstate it's coveted policy of hiding from DU. Go Gophers, and don't come back.
          Well played.

Comment

In any case, Minnesota can reinstate it's coveted policy of hiding from DU. Go Gophers, and don't come back.
            I wonder what they'll do when Penn State starts recruiting overage canadians?
            I'm the guy with the gold jersey in Magness, who is probably drunk or at least getting in trouble for obscene cheers.

"You all saw what happened. Stick down, gloves off, He challenged the Chiefs. Called us names, CALLED US NAMES!"

CC's titles are older than NASA

Comment

Originally posted by DenverGoldJersey View Post
              I wonder what they'll do when Penn State starts recruiting overage canadians?
              Unless and until Illinois goes D-1 in hockey, the Nittany Lions are my new favorite Big Ten (?) team. And in answer to your question, no way the Big Ten (?) puts up with that Gopher bs. Maybe we could send PSU Murray's old rolodex.

Old Pio Annecdote alert: I've posted before about the '68 WCHA playoffs, where the league had the first and second place clubs host 4 team mini playoffs. Minnesota had to come to the DU Arena or forfeit. Two game total goal series: DU 9-0 on Friday and 7-3 on Saturday. Glorious. Marvelous. Warms me up to this day. For my money, that team is second only to 60-61 in our history. Maggie, Koroll, Wiste, Miller, Shires, Patrick and Powers. They lost to the Russians in the Walter Brown tournament in the Broadmoor, then ran the table (22 game winning streak, longest in DU history), culminating in a 4-0 shutout of UND in the NC game. Undefeated at home. The Miller line (Tom Miller, Jim Shires, Cliff Koroll) started every game. And coming down the stretch scored 30 plus goals and gave up two or three! They'd back check you while you were putting on your cup. In that series, Tom Miller started one of the truly epic fights in all of DU history when he "tapped" Gopher Jim Carter on top of the helmet with his stick. Carter was a pretty good Gopher fullback (about 240) and to say he went ape doesn't really convey what happened. He chased Tom all over the ice. Picked up the net and threw it at one point. Tom just kept skating away from (and no doubt taunting) the big ape. Lord how I miss reliving that memory with Jimbo. It was like a WWE routine and stupendously entertaining. We return you now to your regular programming.
              Last edited by Old Pio; 07-12-2011, 02:46 AM.

Comment

DU getting serious about branding from today's Denver Post...

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_18455677

The University of Denver has named former Western Union executive Kevin A. Carroll to head the university's branding, communications and global marketing endeavors.

Carroll, who was Western Union's vice president and general manager for global web channeling and marketing, becomes the vice chancellor of university communication and chief marketing officer.

"Our constituency comprises a vast array of different internal and external audiences with whom we must communicate using a similarly broad array of mechanisms and media," said Chancellor Robert Coombe.

Carroll holds a BS degree in management from Tulane University and an MBA in marketing from Fairleigh Dickinson University.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                  DU getting serious about branding from today's Denver Post...
                  Better waaaaaay late than never. Especially with the new hockey conference and the emergence of LAX.

Comment

Better waaaaaay late than never. Especially with the new hockey conference and the emergence of LAX.
                    Question is are they going to listen to this guy or is he just an empty suit. Another alum and I met with the previous branding consultant that DU hired on a freelance basis.

He certainly listened to us and gave back some interesting feedback. Later I noticed that some of our suggestions were implemented and he had made smany good decisions. But the first thing he said to us when we sat down was, "Boone is not going to happen." :-)

I think that DU has a good grasp of their strengths and weaknesses, but the culture of change is difficult to implement and the Chancellor has too much veto power on issues that quite frankly aren't his strength.

I would recommend to the new guy that DU go all in on school spirit and build on the momentum that the Athletic Department, students and we have achieved in the past five years. Secondly overhaul all merchandise sales in the bookstore, online and in Magness. Thirdly, be proactive in social media, traditional media and publicity instead of sitting on their asses. Finally and most important, listen to the students instead of treating them like disobedient grandchildren.
                    Last edited by dggoddard; 07-12-2011, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Minnesota Wild Development Camp begins today. Jason Zucker will not be the only Pioneer there as David Makowski was invited to attend. UMD's Jack Connolly and J.T. Brown were also invited.
                      GO DU !!!

Comment

Question is are they going to listen to this guy or is he just an empty suit. Another alum and I met with the previous branding consultant that DU hired on a freelance basis.

He certainly listened to us and gave back some interesting feedback. Later I noticed that some of our suggestions were implemented and he had made smany good decisions. But the first thing he said to us when we sat down was, "Boone is not going to happen." :-)

I think that DU has a good grasp of their strengths and weaknesses, but the culture of change is difficult to implement and the Chancellor has too much veto power on issues that quite frankly aren't his strength.

I would recommend to the new guy that DU go all in on school spirit and build on the momentum that the Athletic Department, students and we have achieved in the past five years. Secondly overhaul all merchandise sales in the bookstore, online and in Magness. Thirdly, be proactive in social media, traditional media and publicity instead of sitting on their asses. Finally and most important, listen to the students instead of treating them like disobedient grandchildren.
                        That merchandise thing has always puzzled me. The stuff in the bookstore looks like it was selected by somebody with a huge ho for DU. Much of it looks really awful. They are aware that the school colors are crimson and gold, right? And we should shoot for never being out of anything in any size, ever. Year 'round. Not always possible, of course, but that should be the goal. Yet every year seems like we've got plenty of "smalls" available but no other size. Are we expecting Vern Troyer to place an order? Otherwise, let's order fewer "smalls," okay?

I salam in your direction re: school spirit. And that's certainly where we need to continue the momentum. It's a deep cultural phenomenon that lots of loyal DU fans approach a game as though they were going to a chamber music concert. "Oh, my, wasn't that an excellent play? More wine, my dear? I do wish those student ruffians wouldn't make so much noise." You and others have helped to make great strides. But this work is never done. We've come a long way from the days when the alumni Board of Directors was informed that we "couldn't" have a pep band, because the powers that be in Lamont wouldn't get on board. Really? Do they turn those DU checks over and endorse them?
                        Last edited by Old Pio; 07-12-2011, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Any word on how Jesse Martin is doing? I'm hoping one of these days I will hear that he is skating again, even if it isn't competitively it would be exciting to know that part of his life could return to him.
                          "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                          Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                          The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                          Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                            I have a feeling before the puck is even dropped in this new league it will consist of 8 teams including Notre Dame. The will result in a balanced schedule of 28 games leaving DU with 6 non-conference games. Two of the games will be taken by the Denver Cup over Thanksgiving. If Air Force is not in the Denver Cup, a third game will be against them. That leaves DU with only having to schedule 3 non-conference games each year. In the past few years on Air Force weekend besides AFA, DU and CC have played a fourth non-conference school who has traveled to CO to play both CC and DU. This leaves DU with only 1 non-conference series which would likely be played around New Year's or at the beginning of the season. An 8-team league is the ideal number of schools for a conference as it results in a balanced schedule with a minimal amount of non-conference scheduling needed.
                            Agree completely. Though it sounds like Notre Dame wants more non-conference games to schedule Big 10 teams and BC so that might not be what they're looking for. It could be seven teams to allow for more of that. I really do hope they join. I think the larger TV deal could be contingent upon their decision -- at least with the Notre Dame Network (e.g., NBC and their properties such as Versus). Wonder what/if the AD's will say regarding additional schools at tomorrow's presser?

All's I know is I move to Colorado figuring I'll get to A (as in 1) Miami series a year if I'm lucky. Wouldn't you know it, they'll be in my back yard twice annually. Love it!
                            http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Interesting.

That is tough competition to recruit against. If DU comes out on top of that four-way battle it will really be saying something.
                              Let the Super Conference/Big 10 recruiting battles begin!
                              http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
                                Let the Super Conference/Big 10 recruiting battles begin!
                                We're going to crush those Big 10 losers.

Comment

Working...
                                X