This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXXI

Exciting stuff. All the behind the scenes work that DU and UND have apparently been doing, is finally coming to light.

I'm excited about the new conference, and really hope that Notre Dame gets on board, too. I just worry that they view themselves more in the "eastern mold" of schools such as BC, BU, etc. The latest reports indicate that Notre Dame won't be making a decision anytime real soon, so there wil be plenty of time for hockey east and the new "super conference" to kiss a lot of Irish butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
      Exciting stuff. All the behind the scenes work that DU and UND have apparently been doing, is finally coming to light.

I'm excited about the new conference, and really hope that Notre Dame gets on board, too. I just worry that they view themselves more in the "eastern mold" of schools such as BC, BU, etc. The latest reports indicate that Notre Dame won't be making a decision anytime real soon, so there wil be plenty of time for hockey east and the new "super conference" to kiss a lot of Irish butt.
      That last bit has me wondering if that's what we want to do. No question the ND "brand" would bring more name recognition to the conference, but sucking up to the Irish is hard for this Chicago WASP to swallow.
      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
        That last bit has me wondering if that's what we want to do. No question the ND "brand" would bring more name recognition to the conference, but sucking up to the Irish is hard for this Chicago WASP to swallow.
        Buy yourself some Listerine and think of England.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
          If Notre Dame joins, NoDak will only be my second most hated team. LOL.
          DU Pioneer Hockey. National Champions: 1958, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969, 2004, 2005
          sigpic
          WCHA arenas I have visited: Magness, Kohl, Sullivan, National Hockey Center, DECC, Cleveland Steamer World Arena (CSWA)

Thanks for your friendship Jimbo!!!

Comment

Originally posted by co14ers View Post
            If Notre Dame joins, NoDak will only be my second most hated team. LOL.
            The Catholic high school in my home town has produced "only" one ND Heisman Trophy winner. So I come by my feelings honestly. I do recall when they came into the WCHA years ago, they were confident that that ND on the sweater would be sufficient. It wasn't. The Pioneers beat them like red-headed step children.IIRC we're something like 35-10 against them all time. Eventually they slunk off into the CCHA. Times change, of course, and as Nicholson said in "Hoffa" "I gotta do what I gotta do." So maybe we need 'em. But it's still hard to take. I'm gonna do what DG suggested and invest in Listerine futures. One of my most cherished memories was the time Northwestern (under Ara) laid about 45 on ND at Dyche Stadium. My old man and I were in the stands for that one, and we enjoyed it. . .a lot.
            Last edited by Old Pio; 07-07-2011, 07:54 PM.
            2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

It seems early to get too excited one way or the other. A lot of chips still have to fall in the college hockey landscape, and I think it will be interesting to see where they land.

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
                DU and UND on the same side
                GO DU !!!

Comment

I can't believe it I haven't checked the site in a few days and I come back to us deciding to create a new conference....WOW! I guess this means I have to be paying attention to hockey in July
                  GO DU!!!!

ROWDY IN THE FIRST ROW!!!

DU Hockey National Champions: 1958, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969, 2004, 2005

Comment

Yes,there is other news as DU, ranking 54th among all Divisioin I schools,
                    wins 4th straight 1-AAA (non-football) Director's Cup.

http://www.denverpioneers.com/ViewAr...CLID=205178193
                    GO DU !!!

Comment

I go away for a few days and now there is a new league...
                      This league looks hard
                      thinking of this as a 6 team league would it be possible that the 6th place team could make the ncaas
                      say the last place team goes 8-12 in league play but go 12-4 in nc play team would be 20-16 with a very difficult sos sounds like at least a bubble team
                      I'm the guy with the gold jersey in Magness, who is probably drunk or at least getting in trouble for obscene cheers.

"You all saw what happened. Stick down, gloves off, He challenged the Chiefs. Called us names, CALLED US NAMES!"

CC's titles are older than NASA

Comment

Originally posted by DenverGoldJersey View Post
                        I go away for a few days and now there is a new league...
                        This league looks hard
                        thinking of this as a 6 team league would it be possible that the 6th place team could make the ncaas
                        say the last place team goes 8-12 in league play but go 12-4 in nc play team would be 20-16 with a very difficult sos sounds like at least a bubble team
                        Um, OK DenverGoldJersey, you're making about as much sense as you were the night we had about 200 beers at the Stadium!!! Or is it me? I do believe we need to start talking about this, I feel like our "gang" is in a state if denial!!
                        "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                        Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                          Um, OK DenverGoldJersey, you're making about as much sense as you were the night we had about 200 beers at the Stadium!!! Or is it me? I do believe we need to start talking about this, I feel like our "gang" is in a state if denial!!
                          Actually, I think he posed a valid scenario.

In a state of denial about what?

Comment

Im not saying I'm not excited for this league. Getting a guaranteed 4 games a year against cc and UND is great and I'm excited to see Miami, but I'm not seeing any teams dominate this league by feasting on the lower tier teams like has happened before. I'm thinking someone can win the league by winning 12-14 conference games. I definitely don't anticipate the points cushion that often develops throughout the standings and allows for a few bad series in a row. If that happens any team could be out of the race. This especially concerns me due to our recent after the new year slumps.
                            Also injuries could become a lot more important. It isn't too bad to lose a player or two for a UAA or tech series, but it could be a fatal blow for the conference title if someone gets injured during this conference schedule. I hope they spread out the conference schedule and allow a good number of midseason nc games or every team is going to have a few absolutely hellish stretches.

Also Dmann, I posted that at 1 I wasnt drunk yet
                            I'm the guy with the gold jersey in Magness, who is probably drunk or at least getting in trouble for obscene cheers.

"You all saw what happened. Stick down, gloves off, He challenged the Chiefs. Called us names, CALLED US NAMES!"

CC's titles are older than NASA

Comment

Originally posted by DenverGoldJersey View Post
                              Im not saying I'm not excited for this league. Getting a guaranteed 4 games a year against cc and UND is great and I'm excited to see Miami, but I'm not seeing any teams dominate this league by feasting on the lower tier teams like has happened before. I'm thinking someone can win the league by winning 12-14 conference games. I definitely don't anticipate the points cushion that often develops throughout the standings and allows for a few bad series in a row. If that happens any team could be out of the race. This especially concerns me due to our recent after the new year slumps.
                              Also injuries could become a lot more important. It isn't too bad to lose a player or two for a UAA or tech series, but it could be a fatal blow for the conference title if someone gets injured during this conference schedule. I hope they spread out the conference schedule and allow a good number of midseason nc games or every team is going to have a few absolutely hellish stretches.

Also Dmann, I posted that at 1 I wasnt drunk yet
                              I have a feeling before the puck is even dropped in this new league it will consist of 8 teams including Notre Dame. The will result in a balanced schedule of 28 games leaving DU with 6 non-conference games. Two of the games will be taken by the Denver Cup over Thanksgiving. If Air Force is not in the Denver Cup, a third game will be against them. That leaves DU with only having to schedule 3 non-conference games each year. In the past few years on Air Force weekend besides AFA, DU and CC have played a fourth non-conference school who has traveled to CO to play both CC and DU. This leaves DU with only 1 non-conference series which would likely be played around New Year's or at the beginning of the season. An 8-team league is the ideal number of schools for a conference as it results in a balanced schedule with a minimal amount of non-conference scheduling needed.
                              DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Link to super league press conference on DU website. Wednesday at 11AM MT.

http://www.denverpioneers.com/ViewAr...CLID=205180422
                                DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Working...
                                X