Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Ten considers pay proposal

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6564134

This would change college hockey over night.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Re: Big Ten considers pay proposal

25 players x $2,000 = $50,000 x 2 teams = $100,000 for the low end. $250K at the high end. Manageable for the BCS and FBS schools, but at the lower revenue schools, a nice hit on the budget (or student athletic fees).
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Nice how it's Ohio State who seems to be leading the charge. Instead of trying to find out and eliminate the cause for cheating, they just want to make it legal to cheat.
      Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
      when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
      Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

but the BCS schools can affford that kind of layout. The remainng FBS and FCS schools, not so much. The playups, probably not. It's just a case of the rich wanting to get richer.

Pretty soon we're going to see most, if not all, of the Div 1 championships belonging to the BCS schools (maybe they do now, but I've never checked).

Greed is good. Money is good. Lack of money is bad.
        Last edited by Fan Forum Moderator; 06-01-2011, 08:30 PM. Reason: removed quoted deleted post
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

This will not stop cheating or paying of athletes. There will always be $100 plus dollar handshakes and more. Truly an ugly step in college sports if it comes to pass.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            but the BCS schools can affford that kind of layout. The remainng FBS and FCS schools, not so much. The playups, probably not. It's just a case of the rich wanting to get richer.

Pretty soon we're going to see most, if not all, of the Div 1 championships belonging to the BCS schools (maybe they do now, but I've never checked).

Greed is good. Money is good. Lack of money is bad.
            Basically the bigger schools want to start the arms race because they have all the arms... this will break college athletics as we know it... nevermind college hockey... the bigger problem is that college hockey has too few teams so if it did tear apart the big schools from the small then there won't be enough schools to make the sport be worth much.
            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
            Skating Friar Jersey
            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
              This will not stop cheating or paying of athletes. There will always be $100 plus dollar handshakes and more. Truly an ugly step in college sports if it comes to pass.
              Yep, i doubt that it would ever pass, only about 20 schools athletic departments are in the black. This would just place a bigger burden on the have nots.
              bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Explain once more why DI and major junior hockey should not merge? It looks like they will soon be playing by the same off-ice rules. Their priorities are pretty much the same. Rosters will be stabilized and profits will soar, while players will not be distracted by trivial academic issues.
                I won't say "I told you so." Not yet, but the day isn't far off.

Comment

Maybe we should start College Hockey, Ink???
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
                    Explain once more why DI and major junior hockey should not merge? It looks like they will soon be playing by the same off-ice rules. Their priorities are pretty much the same. Rosters will be stabilized and profits will soar, while players will not be distracted by trivial academic issues.
                    Because we don't want it to and because it won't work... once you substitute market economics for the small locations they'll fold up like a cheap tent and make a beeline for the bigger cities. People will NOT associate their school with a glorified minor league hockey team who does not attend classes.

What you will have to show is that they'll stay to these small cities and towns, won't move to greener pastures, and why fans and alumni will associate your clown league with their college.

edit: I would have NO interest in supporting my school under this framework and were THEY to agree with this i would dissociate myself from them due to their massive case lack of judgement. I doubt I'll be the only one.
                    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                    Skating Friar Jersey
                    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Holy overreaction Batman.

As far as this proposal goes this is in a major way a good thing. These big power schools are making money hand over fist on these athletes in basketball and football. Due to NCAA rules they are restricted in taking jobs that can only earn them up to 2K during the school year. This ruling will at least give the athletes somewhat more of a cut of the money they are making for their schools.

As far as only the Big 10 getting everyone now I wouldn't quite go that far. There are a lot of decisions that factor into what school an athlete chooses. Academic reputation, what programs the school offers in his/her major, facilities, location,..etc. When it comes right down to it this is just a small amount of money and while having some impact won't be the end all factor.

Comment

You really are a dumbass.
                        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                        Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

D1 is older than MJ

a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Where's the news here? This kind of practice has been going on for decades and it is perfectly legal; with a twist...they actually have to [pretend to] do some work in exchange for their pay.

Non-scholarship schools have jobs available for their athletes to supplement the maintenance department....dorm crew, grounds crew, etc. You get a job that requires twenty minutes of work each day (that you actually have to do) and get paid for two hours of work each day.

I cleaned up the party room on Saturday and Sunday morning. It was distasteful work, it usually took around 45 minutes each morning, and I was paid for 4 hours of work (to compensate for the disgusting nature of the cleaning involved).

The only difference in this proposal is to sever the link between the work and the pay.
                            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                              Holy overreaction Batman.

As far as this proposal goes this is in a major way a good thing. These big power schools are making money hand over fist on these athletes in basketball and football. Due to NCAA rules they are restricted in taking jobs that can only earn them up to 2K during the school year. This ruling will at least give the athletes somewhat more of a cut of the money they are making for their schools.
                              So your argument is they can't work as much as other students? Of course other students are, you know, PAYING TO GO TO SCHOOL.

The benefit most of these student-athletes get for making the schools money is a free education. They want extra spending money? Take out a loan and go into debt like the rest of us.
                              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                              Originally posted by Quizmire
                              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Working...
                              X