D3 Recruits 11-12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D3 Recruits 11-12

This is usually being discussed alot more by this point in the offseason. I see that the BTD website is chock full of new recruits for next year.

I'm surprised by some of the big recruiting classes for teams that I don't recall losing that much.

River Falls--8 recruits listed...but they did have 8 seniors last year. It seems like they bring in 10-12 new people every year though.

Lake Forest--5 exiting seniors, 10 recruits

Gustavus--1 exiting senior, 9 recruits

Chatham still tryng to put something together with 8 new players coming in from all over the place.

The big one....CUW with 11 graduating seniors...and 13 recruits listed so far.
    How long does it usually take a new program to get to a point where they are replacing over half their team every 4 years?
    UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
    NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
    Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Re: D3 Recruits 11-12

I think you will find both things you discussed are intertwined.

There is always a certain percentage of recruits from any given year that don't stay with the program for the full 4 years. Lots of different reasons. Some find they lose the drive to play at the level necessary. Others don't develop enough to move up to the college game effectively and are cut at tryouts. Others yet find the school situation not to be working and leave the school.

So any school recruits more players than is necessary as often coaches don't find out that they are losing a player until tryouts. And when I say losing a player, it isn't just enough to show up and skate, but to have brought up your game where you are more than just another skater. Freshmen are kept on the roster with the expectation that they will improve (get stronger, faster, adjust to the college level game) as they mature. Some come back not delivering on that potential coach saw in them the previous year and have an unpleasant surprise from freshman who are just as talented and hungrier.

And a "new" program graduating 70%+ of their first class will attract more recruits than is necessary and that class will have retention in years 2,3,and 4 more similar to an established program than of the previous years' recruiting classes. Now that they have plenty of leadership on the bench, they can be pickier on the incoming talent and the returning talent.

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
    This is usually being discussed alot more by this point in the offseason. I see that the BTD website is chock full of new recruits for next year.

I'm surprised by some of the big recruiting classes for teams that I don't recall losing that much.

River Falls--8 recruits listed...but they did have 8 seniors last year. It seems like they bring in 10-12 new people every year though.

Lake Forest--5 exiting seniors, 10 recruits

Gustavus--1 exiting senior, 9 recruits

Chatham still tryng to put something together with 8 new players coming in from all over the place.

The big one....CUW with 11 graduating seniors...and 13 recruits listed so far.
    How long does it usually take a new program to get to a point where they are replacing over half their team every 4 years?

Comment

I see St Norberts is continuing their world recruiting. Recruit from Sweden coming in this year and even (GASP) and easterner going west.
      UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

I see St Norberts is continuing their world recruiting. Recruit from Sweden coming in this year and even (GASP) and easterner going west.
        If you establish the pipeline...gotta keep mining it looking for gold.
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

Madeleine Siggelin is expected to replace fellow Swede, Emma Agen, on the blueline for SNC.
          Agen is transferring to the U of Maine.
          SNC Men:
          Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
          NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
          SNC Women:
          O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by pete99race View Post
            Madeleine Siggelin is expected to replace fellow Swede, Emma Agen, on the blueline for SNC.
            Agen is transferring to the U of Maine.
            That's unfortunate for SNC to lose a stud player to a D-I school. Those are the breaks though I guess and if you lost a player to a D-I school from your very first recruiting class, I'd say your doing something right.

SNC is going to be a threat very very quickly I feel.
            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
            GO LAKERS!!!
            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

My understanding is that a number of Scandanavian countries goverments will pay full tuition for thier nationals to play hockey in the NCAA's.

Comment

Amherst loses lots of talent on the ice as well as leadership within the locker room with eight senior players exiting from its roster, most notably team co-Captain and four-time All-NESCAC Forward Courtney Hanlon along with four-time All-NESCAC & two-time All-American Defense Randi Zukas. These two combined to score a whopping 216 points (126 & 90 points respectively) during their career with the Lord Jeffs. With such great success the past few seasons coach Plummer should be able to attract great talent and keep the team in the upper echelon of D-III.

Comment

Don't look know but watch out for the Camels. One hump's better than two. [or was that the other way around?]

Comment

Trinity also lost a deep senior class that helped put the program on a winning track the past four years including two All Americans in Komarek and Weiss. This group really improved the program and set the bar high for those that remain-- Trinity's first winning season was when they were freshman and they made the NCAA tourney as juniors. A good core remains including two strong goalies and hopefully the improvements in the program the past several years will be a draw to future recruits.

Comment

And one from the UK....Just curious how the coach is getting these players?
                      UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

Hope everyone is having a good Spring/Summer. It will be interesting to see what Kevin Houle brings in for Plattsburgh next season. Lots of BIG holes to fill. Plus I've been hearing 'rumors' from various sources that some players are leaving.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill-R- View Post
                          Hope everyone is having a good Spring/Summer. It will be interesting to see what Kevin Houle brings in for Plattsburgh next season. Lots of BIG holes to fill. Plus I've been hearing 'rumors' from various sources that some players are leaving.
                          I wonder if they are just finding out that Anthony Weiner is a Platty alumni....

Comment

Originally posted by Bill-R- View Post
                            I've been hearing 'rumors' from various sources that some players are leaving.
                            Looking like there is a chance my two sources maybe wrong about rumored players leaving. Having said that, these two individuals are usally spot on with their info thus my below post. They shall be punished with three whacks over the hands with a hockey stick.

Comment

And one from the UK....Just curious how the coach is getting these players?
                              Head coach very experienced recruiter !.

Comment

Working...
                              X