Div-3 Hockey 2011-2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Div-3 Hockey 2011-2012

Who's looking strong? Who's looking weak? What teams are taking steps in the right direction to improvement?

Re: Div-3 Hockey 2011-2012

which team is your daughter going to?

The strong teams as always should include Plattsburgh, RIT, Norwich, Middlebury, Elmira, Amherst, Trinity, Manhattanville, River Falls, Gustavus Adolphus etc...

Those are your traditional contenders and will be the odds on favorites to win the title next year. If history holds true, Norwich is the favorite to win since the NCAA started sponsoring a D-III championship in 2002, any team that has won the NC has at least won it once again the following year. The only team to threepeat is Middlebury who won from 2004-2006. Elmira, Plattsburgh, and Amherst all repeated.

Norwich still returns a strong group, but they lost two very special players in Leclerc and Fortin and four other role playing seniors.

RIT lost three all-americans, but they are still loaded and will surely find some replacements.

Elmira had a down year last year but I can't fathom the Soaring Eagles continuing that again this upcoming year.

We'll find out where a few teams are at real quick with Norwich's season opening tournament in the East/West Hockey Classic. Elmira and RIT come to Kreitzberg Arena to face Norwich and Manhattanville in pre-determined matchups. Should be a great four games of hockey. I can't wait!
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

This could be a season of surprise in the NESCAC. Trinity, Amherst and Middlebury (particularly in net) will all see the departure of key players (Weiss, Zukas and Hanlon and Bloom, among others). While they will be missed, I am sure the fine coaches for the Bantams, Lord Jeffs and Panthers will hardly let their squads miss a beat, but I kind of like the Polar Bears and Camels to stir things up in 2011-2012!
      GO U BEARS!!!

Comment

Is NESCAC considered one of the better D3 Confrences?

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
          Is NESCAC considered one of the better D3 Confrences?
          Yes.

If I had to rank them, I would go:

1. ECAC West
          2. NESCAC
          3. NCHA
          4. ECAC East
          5. MIAC
          GO LAKERS!!!
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
            Yes.

1. ECAC West
            2. NESCAC
            3. NCHA
            4. ECAC East
            5. MIAC
            This is a topic for endless debate, but, with the exception of Wesleyan, and possibly Williams (will they EVER name their new head coach?) and with the NESCAC abolishing the travel partner system for at least the next 2 seasons, I think you can make a strong case for the NESCAC being the toughest conference 1 thru 7 (or 8). You have to bring your A game every time you step on the ice!

Comment

Yes.

1. ECAC West
              2. NESCAC
              3. NCHA
              4. ECAC East
              5. MIAC
              ugh
              UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
              NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
              Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
                This is a topic for endless debate, but, with the exception of Wesleyan, and possibly Williams (will they EVER name their new head coach?) and with the NESCAC abolishing the travel partner system for at least the next 2 seasons, I think you can make a strong case for the NESCAC being the toughest conference 1 thru 7 (or 8). You have to bring your A game every time you step on the ice!
                Oswego beat RIT this year and Utica beat Elmira.

Agree...topic of endless debate though and in no way should those rankings be taken as the gospel. Just one person's opinion.
                GO LAKERS!!!
                Oswego State '09

Comment

gojackets,

I knew this wasn't going to make you happy...haha
                  GO LAKERS!!!
                  Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
                    This could be a season of surprise in the NESCAC. Trinity, Amherst and Middlebury (particularly in net) will all see the departure of key players (Weiss, Zukas and Hanlon and Bloom, among others). While they will be missed, I am sure the fine coaches for the Bantams, Lord Jeffs and Panthers will hardly let their squads miss a beat, but I kind of like the Polar Bears and Camels to stir things up in 2011-2012!
                    GO U BEARS!!!
                    It is so hard to forecast a team based on graduating seniors since the arrival of first years and the development of returning players have such an impact. A year ago the consensus out East was that Amherst would miss Dier, McGann, and Dennet, but returned so many quality players that they had to be the favorites to three-peat. Their "fall from grace" was both sudden and spectacular. On the other hand, Plattsburgh graduated a huge class a year ago and they were one fluke no-goal away from returning to the dance.

Trinity has their work cut out for them. Weiss and Komerek accounted for 45% of their goal scoring last year. Pujol was a special player in net and Coleman-McGaw will be a great leader, but they will have a big hole to fill. At Middlebury, replacing Bloom in net will be key, but truth be told the combo of Bloom and Wright was as good as it gets in prior years yet Midd was never really a factor at the national level. What made them a factor this year was the ability of their first and second year players to provide the physicality that this team lacked in the past. If they keep it up, filling Bloom's skates will be less critical. Amherst now loses a ton of talent, both top heavy all americans and solid depth players. Their first years did not show any future Zukas'es or Hanlon's, so they will need a monster recruiting class to get back to the top. As for Obserbear's beloved Bears, if they can develop some depth to go along with that wickedly talented Holtz, Lozzi, Tang & Co., look out.

Comment

gojackets,

I knew this wasn't going to make you happy...haha
                      I don't come on the site for like a month and a half...and you're spouting your rubbish again!
                      UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
                        I don't come on the site for like a month and a half...and you're spouting your rubbish again!
                        Results speak for themselves my friend.

There is no doubt that the NCHA is competitive...as is the MIAC...However, at this juncture...the top Eastern teams are at a different level than the West.
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

Results speak for themselves my friend.

There is no doubt that the NCHA is competitive...as is the MIAC...However, at this juncture...the top Eastern teams are at a different level than the West.
                          yes the top 2 teams in the ECAC west are really competitive with the rest of the eastern conferences. That does not make them the best "Conference"

This is all i'm going to say in regards to this argument, because I don't want to perpuate this silly, pointless discussion. I've matured...haha
                          UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

No love for ECAC East-Who sent 2 teams to the dance last year. Not to mention Mville only team to beat Norwich in the 2nd semester. Just saying!

Comment

Originally posted by valiantfan08 View Post
                              No love for ECAC East-Who sent 2 teams to the dance last year. Not to mention Mville only team to beat Norwich in the 2nd semester. Just saying!
                              And Prez' paycheck comes from Norwich, too. Suggests to me that he is being objective.
                              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Working...
                              X