Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Laker Hockey 2011-12

Originally posted by Bill View Post
    Yes, it sounds like the LSSU Media Guide missed that series. How'd I do on bringing back some old Bemidji player names?
    That was before my time, but I'd say the big one you forgot was Gary Sargent...
    Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
    B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
    CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
    ECAC:
    HEA: UMass
    NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
    Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
      There's a big difference between driving your car and riding on a bus. To get from the Soo to Marquette in 2 1/2 hrs you have to AVERAGE 66 MPH. 3:15 is an average of 52 MPH, that's about what it takes on the bus. Done it a dozen times.
      Comedy gold ... watching Davyd hyper-ventilate over a situation he was 99.9 percent sure would never happen

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
        That was before my time, but I'd say the big one you forgot was Gary Sargent...
        Yep, you're right, I did forget about him. Good defenseman.

Comment

Great news for the Lakers, and college hockey as a whole. What a suprise to read when I got back into town. It seems this is the best scenario, and the one that most Laker fans/alumni wanted. Sometimes having a little faith pays off. I actually can't wait, and actually think this will boost attendance at the Taffy Abel, with so many quality programs in the WCHA.

I hope that Western and Bowling Green find what's the best fit for them, and that UAH finds a home somewhere. I'm glad that the conferences didn't wait for Notre Dame, and moved forward.

With such a strong sophmore class, and some solid incoming recruits, the Lakers should be pretty competitive in it's first year in the WCHA!

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Diamond View Post
            Comedy gold ... watching Davyd hyper-ventilate over a situation he was 99.9 percent sure would never happen
            No hyperventilation, but I'm definitely surprised that it did happen. That being said, I'm pleased that the three UP schools will be in one league, as well as Ferris. This is definitely a best case scenario for LSSU and a win-win for college hockey in general.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              No hyperventilation, but I'm definitely surprised that it did happen. That being said, I'm pleased that the three UP schools will be in one league, as well as Ferris. This is definitely a best case scenario for LSSU and a win-win for college hockey in general.

Nice to see you back Davyd i think truth squad hacked into your account the last couple days or so.
              BLEED BLUE

Comment

Interesting tidbit in this article.

"According to NMU President Less Wong, the WCHA did request that LSSU and Ferris upgrade their arenas - Taffy Abel Arena in Sault Ste. Marie and Ewigleben Ice Arena in Big Rapids - and both athletic departments agreed to make improvements."

Anyone know what that will involve?

Comment

Originally posted by laker_one View Post

"According to NMU President Less Wong, the WCHA did request that LSSU and Ferris upgrade their arenas - Taffy Abel Arena in Sault Ste. Marie and Ewigleben Ice Arena in Big Rapids - and both athletic departments agreed to make improvements."

I'm not sure, maybe 3dognight can fill us in. Perhaps the Norris Center Project will address those improvements.

At least the Abel Arena doesn't need nearly as much improvement as Ferris, Western, and Bowling Green.
                  LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by laker_one View Post

Three dog night is going to make sure a shiny coat of blue are on all the seats. You people will need 3/4 empty rinks to shine in the WCHA.

The WCHA is welcoming the Roque led Lakers with open arms. Michigan Tech probably was their biggest lobbyist. Trying to convince you good old boys up there is a waste of my time.

The Truth Is Out There....
                    Last edited by Truth Squad; 08-27-2011, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Yes, the project will address the needs with a "tweak" or two.
                      The arena itself is a great barn but the support areas are lacking......having the bricks and mortar project with a 2013 timetable makes it an "asked and answered" question.

I agree, It is a horrible waste of your previous time TOOTH.....please turn to something more productive like trying to convince someone to hire your hero. It won't be anyone in the new WCHA. Sad news for the doom & gloom haters....guess what, hiring Frank the Crank was NOT a condition for anyone entering the WCHA...what idiots for not thinking of that, eh. It will obviously doom the new league moving forward.

Stay classy and please stay "out there".
                      Last edited by 3dognight; 08-27-2011, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
                        If it takes you 3:30 to get to Marquette from the Soo, no matter the weather, you are obviously not from the UP. . . .
                        I think the time I had to put my flashers on outside of Newberry due to a blizzard it might have taken me a little bit longer.

I'm pleased LSSU is making the switch.
                        Embrace the hate.

Comment

Originally posted by 3dognight View Post
                          Yes, the project will address the needs with a "tweak" or two.
                          The arena itself is a great barn but the support areas are lacking......having the bricks and mortar project with a 2013 timetable makes it an "asked and answered" question.
                          Curious to know what you mean by the "support areas"? As far as I'm concenred, the Abel arena is still a premier venue and just as good as the Berry Event Center in Marquette and better than Tech's arena (though have to admit, its been about 7 or 8 years since I was up that way and maybe they have made improvements). It is widely superior to what both Ferris and Western Michigan have and B.G's arena...sorry but that place is a dump!

Comment

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
                            Curious to know what you mean by the "support areas"?
                            Everything you don't see as a regular ticket-buying spectator. Think locker rooms, team lounges, officials rooms, press boxes, replay equipment, suites, etc.

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
                            As far as I'm concenred, the Abel arena is still a premier venue and just as good as the Berry Event Center in Marquette and better than Tech's arena (though have to admit, its been about 7 or 8 years since I was up that way and maybe they have made improvements). It is widely superior to what both Ferris and Western Michigan have and B.G's arena...sorry but that place is a dump!
                            Tech just finished up adding suites and has spent a ton of money on their "support areas" the last few years. It has been several years (15 ish) since I've been to WMU, and have never been to BGSU or FSU, but if those two are worse than WMU was - they're gonna need some serious upgrades.

I've said for a while that arena's are the number one thing that set the WCHA apart form the CCHA as far as "level of commitment" to the sport. If you consider that only three rinks in the current WCHA were built before 1999 (MTU in '69 - but again they've spent millions on renovations; UAA in '83 and SCSU in '89 - with a $23 million renovation underway this summer). The bar was really raised last year when BSU and UMD built new rinks.
                            Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                            B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                            CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                            ECAC:
                            HEA: UMass
                            NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                            Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by nmu_27 View Post
                              I think the time I had to put my flashers on outside of Newberry due to a blizzard it might have taken me a little bit longer.

I'm pleased LSSU is making the switch.
                              That was probably 2006. It took the bus 4 1/2 hrs. Nearly two hours just from the Soo to Newberry and then an hour and a half from Munising to Marquette. There were several times the bus had to pull over and stop because of white out conditions.
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Moose is spot on...,take a look at the site www.norriscenterproject.com and you can see tha areas we plan to work on.
                                There may be a lighting need in the arena....but Taffy- Abel was lacking in MANY aspects when we took our arena tour during the initial development phase.
                                Locker room, strength & conditioning, athletic training, storage, laundry, ventilation, student athlete academic support, the Laker Club area all
                                bring Taffy into the next phase. jnacc......Things have changed ALOT since the last project was done, Taffy was in no way a premier facility in comparison. Several areas undersized, some in disrepair, some the result of poor design or construction. We will be a top level WCHA arena in 2013 when we move.
                                Last edited by 3dognight; 08-27-2011, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X