• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Laker Hockey 2011-12

Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
    Is that facility for hockey, too?
    No
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Diamond View Post
      The Soo is 2.5 hours east of Marquette ...you've been acting as if it is on the border of Nova Scotia
      It's 165 miles. That's closer to 3:15-3:30 by bus, depending on weather and road conditions. You may not slow down for Seney or Shingleton or stop at all railroad crossings, but busses have to. It makes a big difference when the team has to leave Wednesday. There are rules and regulations regarding travel that have to be followed. Bus drivers can only drive a certain number of hours in a day. There are regulations regarding when a team is able to leave its campus. I've never said it was anywhere near Nova Scotia. I've never once intimated that the Soo was that far out, but that extra 3 hours makes a one day trip into a second day of travel.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by 3dognight View Post
        Congrats to Lakers!

Very well done 3dog

Great job by Ms. Dunbar. I am glad the Lakers wasted no time in accepting the offer. That suggests the Lakers ( and Nanooks) were in the middle of the negotiations and had done their work at home with their Boards to get prior approval in advance of any offers to join.

To hell with Paris, I can't wait to go to Mankato, St. Cloud and Bemidji.

Comment

Get good recruits to play in the new WCHA and make it a tough league with tough teams and say thanks to all who wanted to watch smaller schools fade as the new WCHA gets the last laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by laker_one View Post
            Great news and great job by the folks on the hill who saw this through. There is just so much to love about this whole deal.

I love that Laker Hockey now has a bright future in an excellent and stable conference.
            I love that the 3 UP schools will be in the same league (along with the 2 AK schools).
            I love the chance to renew the old Bemidji rivalry that the old timers still talk about.
            I love that Ferris and Bowling Green got thrown a lifeline too.
            I love that we won't be in a league run by Big 10 lackees anymore.
            I love that we made our decision without waiting for ND to make up its precious mind. (The fact that I have 2 degrees from ND does not make their attitude any less annoying to me.)

I could probably think of more stuff to love but that will do for now. I'm a little surprised by all the folks on the other thread who somehow see this as a bad thing, like somehow this ruins college hockey's chance for lights. Probably the same morons who keep the "New D-1 teams" thread going.

Someone tell the Leprechaun that if he's the last one out of the CCHA he needs to shut off the lights.
            Interesting you bring up the old rivalry with Bemidji. Does anybody know the record these two have against each other? I believe they were in the same conference in the 60's and 70's and faced each other a number of times for the NAIA championship.
            31-0-0

Comment

Originally posted by Can't Skate View Post
              Interesting you bring up the old rivalry with Bemidji. Does anybody know the record these two have against each other? I believe they were in the same conference in the 60's and 70's and faced each other a number of times for the NAIA championship.
              I think it's 20-16-1 in favor of the Lakers overall. Bemidji had more high end players (e.g. Bryan Grand, Blaine Comstock, Jim McElmurry, and Charlie Brown come to mind) when the two started playing each other and had more NAIA Championships than the Lakers; Bemidji played at the NAIA level for several years beyond when the Lakers switched over to NCAA Div 1 and have a longer hockey program history than LSSU.

Yes they were in the same conference, along with Lakehead University (Thunder Bay, ON) and Wisconson-Superior. St Cloud was also in that same league for a number of years.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                It's 165 miles. That's closer to 3:15-3:30 by bus, depending on weather and road conditions. You may not slow down for Seney or Shingleton or stop at all railroad crossings, but busses have to. It makes a big difference when the team has to leave Wednesday. There are rules and regulations regarding travel that have to be followed. Bus drivers can only drive a certain number of hours in a day. There are regulations regarding when a team is able to leave its campus. I've never said it was anywhere near Nova Scotia. I've never once intimated that the Soo was that far out, but that extra 3 hours makes a one day trip into a second day of travel.
                If it takes you 3:30 to get to Marquette from the Soo, no matter the weather, you are obviously not from the UP. . . .

Comment

Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post
                  Looking forward to building a nice little rivalry with MTU and watching your band at the Taffy. I was beginning to think you disowned us but i'm glad the family is back together and moving forward.

I like the idea of Michigan Tech -- Soo Tech combo beating up on NMU!

(Although, with the form of the teams the last five years, it may take a combination of Tech and LSSU to get the better of NMU . . . )

Comment

If it takes you 3:30 to get to Marquette from the Soo, no matter the weather, you are obviously not from the UP. . . .
                    There's a big difference between driving your car and riding on a bus. To get from the Soo to Marquette in 2 1/2 hrs you have to AVERAGE 66 MPH. 3:15 is an average of 52 MPH, that's about what it takes on the bus. Done it a dozen times.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                      I think it's 20-16-1 in favor of the Lakers overall. Bemidji had more high end players (e.g. Bryan Grand, Blaine Comstock, Jim McElmurry, and Charlie Brown come to mind) when the two started playing each other and had more NAIA Championships than the Lakers;
                      BSU's media guide has it 21-16-2 in favor of LSSU. Looks like your data is missing the '05-'06 series in Bemidji where the Lakers won 2-1 and tied 2-2.

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                      Bemidji played at the NAIA level for several years beyond when the Lakers switched over to NCAA Div 1 and have a longer hockey program history than LSSU.
                      BSU played NAIA up 'til '81-'82, switching to D-II in '82-'83, D-III in '84-'85, back to D-II in '92-'93 and finally D-I in '99-'00. BSU has been playing hockey every year since '59-'60 and had a team from '46-'50 (when the Bemidji rink's roof collapsed). BSU has had a combined 55 season of varsity hockey.
                      Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                      B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                      CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                      ECAC:
                      HEA: UMass
                      NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                      Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

When we take the bus over to marquette it takes less then 3 hours. Dave are you making stops your not telling us about ?
                        BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                          BSU's media guide has it 21-16-2 in favor of LSSU. Looks like your data is missing the '05-'06 series in Bemidji where the Lakers won 2-1 and tied 2-2.

BSU played NAIA up 'til '81-'82, switching to D-II in '82-'83, D-III in '84-'85, back to D-II in '92-'93 and finally D-I in '99-'00. BSU has been playing hockey every year since '59-'60 and had a team from '46-'50 (when the Bemidji rink's roof collapsed). BSU has had a combined 55 season of varsity hockey.
                          Yes, it sounds like the LSSU Media Guide missed that series. How'd I do on bringing back some old Bemidji player names?

Comment

FSU accepts the invitation today per 9&10 News / Detroit News

BGSU / WMU have 28 days left to decide. College Hockey News has an interesting article regarding BGSU / WMU thought process.
                            Last edited by 3dognight; 08-26-2011, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Laker Blue,

BGSU has started fixing up the BGSU Ice Arena. The first phase included a new ice and refrigeration system. The previous ice making process was the original system so it needed to be replaced. The also redid the lighting, repaired the roof, turned the curling ice into a multipurpose rink that allows for more public skating. They also added some locker rooms. Future phases hope to redo the seats. The university did a poor job maintaining the building and the program. Many alumni, including NHL alums, helped to convince the previous president that hockey is part of the fabric of BGSU. I was a student at BG graduating in 1980 and my masters in 1985. I have been and remain a season ticket holder since my college days.

I don't know what I think is about all this change. It seems that if we join the WCHA, we will be back where the CCHA was in the early days having to prove that we, as a league, can play with the big boys. Of course, this would be the same if we merged with the 4 Atlantic Hockey teams. I just hope that BG looks at all of the options and puts us in the best possible situation. I also hope that our coach is part of the decision making process. If the best option is the WCHA, then go for it.

As far as UAH is concerned, BG played them 3 times last year, two in BG, and once in a tournament. This year, we travel to UAH to play two game series. I also truly hope that they find themselves a league. I am considering making the trip this year, if I can afford it. UAH is one school that I do not have a colege hockey puck for my collection.

Go BGSU!!! Go UAH!

Comment

Is that facility for hockey, too?
                                Just basketball.
                                Go Lakers!

Comment

Working...
                                X