LSSU Laker Hockey 2011-12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Laker Hockey 2011-12

Great news and great job by the folks on the hill who saw this through. There is just so much to love about this whole deal.

I love that Laker Hockey now has a bright future in an excellent and stable conference.
    I love that the 3 UP schools will be in the same league (along with the 2 AK schools).
    I love the chance to renew the old Bemidji rivalry that the old timers still talk about.
    I love that Ferris and Bowling Green got thrown a lifeline too.
    I love that we won't be in a league run by Big 10 lackees anymore.
    I love that we made our decision without waiting for ND to make up its precious mind. (The fact that I have 2 degrees from ND does not make their attitude any less annoying to me.)

I could probably think of more stuff to love but that will do for now. I'm a little surprised by all the folks on the other thread who somehow see this as a bad thing, like somehow this ruins college hockey's chance for lights. Probably the same morons who keep the "New D-1 teams" thread going.

Someone tell the Leprechaun that if he's the last one out of the CCHA he needs to shut off the lights.

Comment

Nice to see that the Lakers will be able to join the WCHA! I guess those who surmised that there was nothing going on on the hill may have been in error. It will be good to have all three UP schools in one league for sure! I think that this idea really picked up steam after the CCHA/AHA meetings. Apparently there were some gaps that couldn't be bridged there. I am wondering what is taking Ferris time to accept. BG and Western I understand.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
        Congrats Laker Nation!!!! My only concern is that the administration is ready to add to the travel budget so the team won't have to bus to the "outposts" of the WCHA. I remeber the time the team bused to NE to play UNH & Providence and seemed
        to have "bus legs" all weekend.
        There likely will be divisional play so the Lakers will have 2 Minnesota trip max per season. It'll help if compliance kinda looks the other way on the 48 hour rule (a team may leave campus no more that 48 hours before the start of the first contest, so for a game that starts 8 pm ET in Mankato, the Lakers couldn't leave the Soo before 8 pm Wednesday). Let 'em leave at 5 and make it to Duluth by 11!
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
          Nice to see that the Lakers will be able to join the WCHA! I guess those who surmised that there was nothing going on on the hill may have been in error. It will be good to have all three UP schools in one league for sure! I think that this idea really picked up steam after the CCHA/AHA meetings. Apparently there were some gaps that couldn't be bridged there. I am wondering what is taking Ferris time to accept. BG and Western I understand.
          From what I hear Ferris needs to run this past their Board prior to acceptance, they should be good to go by Monday (If not sooner).

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            There likely will be divisional play so the Lakers will have 2 Minnesota trip max per season. It'll help if compliance kinda looks the other way on the 48 hour rule (a team may leave campus no more that 48 hours before the start of the first contest, so for a game that starts 8 pm ET in Mankato, the Lakers couldn't leave the Soo before 8 pm Wednesday). Let 'em leave at 5 and make it to Duluth by 11!
            The Soo is 2.5 hours east of Marquette ...you've been acting as if it is on the border of Nova Scotia

Comment

Originally posted by Hockey John View Post
              Laker Blue,

BGSU seats 5000 people and is putting money into the building to fix it up. How is that smaller than LSSU? I don't know what to think of all the changes. The WCHA people talk like they are so much superior. If this all takes place with all 11 teams, 6 of them would be from the CCHA. I hope that our AD and coaches look at all options and do what is right for the Falcons. Also, I think that BGSU, Northern, and LSSU all bring more to a league than Western Michigan brings. I do feel sorry for UAH. Despite many comments stating otherwise, BGSU will not go under.

Oh, absolutely. I have been to BGSU for hockey games several times in the past, and always had a great time. I don't think there is anything wrong with BGSU hcokey at all, and I never believed that BGSU hockey would fold. It a program with a good tradition. I thought that BGSU is in a unique position. Based upon its geography, BGSU could form its own darn conference with Ferris, UAH, and the AHA-hopefuls. Perhaps Western doesn't get into the NCHC and instead decides to link up with BGSU and Ferris? I don't know if any of this makes sense (probably not). But if I gave the impression that I doubted BGSU's commitment and sustainability, I apologize.

As far are BGSU getting into the NCHC, it makes sense in a way -- especially if Notre Dame and Western join. That would give the NCHC four schools in its eastern end, easing travel. It would also keep the MAC schools together. My thoughts were that Western and BGSU have similar stadium and attendance issues. And although BGSU came out fine -- there was some discussing a few years back about BGSU hockey program needing serious funding injections to stay afloat. There was a time, 20-30 years ago, when BGSU had a good, solid, upper-tier college hockey stadium. That is no longer the case. Most top programs now have 6,000-11,000 all seat stadiums with private suites, built with TV lighting and accessibility, modern exclusive training facilities, enhanced concessions, etc . . .

Years ago, BGSU had one of the nicer facilities in Ohio. But Ohio State moved out of the rotting old barn (which sat, I think as i recall, about 1,000 people . . . not that 1,000 people ever showed up!), and Miami had its older rink. Both have materially upgraded. And now Notre Dame is building a new stadium. So that was my thinking -- what are the plans of BGSU's facility?

Comment

I, for one, am happy to have you aboard. We had fun times last Fall visiting. besides, our bastard stepchild ... how could we leave you?
                Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                  I agree. Perhaps MSU-Moorhead will add hockey and join the WCHA as well. Add UAH and you have a nice 12 team conference. I wonder if there would be divisions?
                  I think someone else mentioned it but; why not invite AF (Colorado) to join the WCHA and UAH replace them in the Atlantic. It sure would make sense to me.
                  Go Lakers!

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Diamond View Post
                    The Soo is 2.5 hours east of Marquette ...you've been acting as if it is on the border of Nova Scotia

haha so true.

I've never seen so many people so worried about travel time as I have this summer.

Comment

Truth squad have a nice trip to see the Lakers open their 13' - 14' season opener out east. Hope you enjoy the trip. Wooo Hooo

What a great day to be a Laker
                      BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by Laker54 View Post
                        I think someone else mentioned it but; why not invite AF (Colorado) to join the WCHA and UAH replace them in the Atlantic. It sure would make sense to me.
                        AF wants to stay in the same conference as Army.

Comment

Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post
                          I remember hearing BGSU were putting something around 4 to 6 million into the program but that was right after the rumors of them folding. I was still suprised to read that they are trying to gain entrance to the Nat so they must be in pretty good shape. Good for them i wish them the best.
                          BGSU just finished their new basketball arena. I don't know how much they have to go toward the renovation.
                          Go Lakers!

Comment

Originally posted by Laker54 View Post
                            BGSU just finished their new basketball arena. I don't know how much they have to go toward the renovation.
                            Is that facility for hockey, too?

Comment

Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
                              Is that facility for hockey, too?
                              Different facility. Heard the basketball arena is really nice though.

I actually really enjoy the BGSU Ice Area, made it to a handful of games there the last few years. Might just be because it is the polar opposite of the Goggin, but I think it has a certain charm to it.
                              Last edited by MUhawks628; 08-26-2011, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                                I, for one, am happy to have you aboard. We had fun times last Fall visiting. besides, our bastard stepchild ... how could we leave you?
                                Looking forward to building a nice little rivalry with MTU and watching your band at the Taffy. I was beginning to think you disowned us but i'm glad the family is back together and moving forward.
                                BLEED BLUE

Comment

Working...
                                X