Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Laker Hockey 2011-12

Originally posted by Truth Squad View Post
    More hot air from an unnamed donor who thinks they are extremely important or influential and part of the good old boy network up there. He like many other Roque supporters do a great job to guide the conversation away from the reality at your little college and you people by it every time. Stick to picking out paint colors for the seats at the Norris Center, instead of bashing hall of fame coaches night.

The Truth Is Out There....
    Who is the Hall of Fame coach you speak of? Certainly not the guy with a college record of 223-205-41, a .519 winning percentage and one NCAA title. To call a guy with a record like that a Hall of Famer is an insult the guys like Ron Mason, Jackie Parker and John MacInnes. Let's check the pro win%...546 and never made it past the second round of the playoffs. The only thing he ranks at the top of the list in is times fired...7! Hall of Fame??? Not a chance. And there's the truth!!!
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Diamond View Post
      Good points, but just playing devil's advocate here...

Fri, Dec 8 : BC @ Notre Dame
      Sat, Dec 9: BC @ Western

Fri, Feb 15: BC @ Western
      Sat, Feb 16: BC @ Notre Dame

Yes, still more expensive than simply staying put in South Bend all weekend. But the additional cost would be nowhere near the cost of making separate trips to each campus. 55 miles from South Bend to Kalamazoo. One hour, plus a few minutes, by bus.

IF Western is as serious about making their hockey program into an elite program as they claim, then I think HE would find Western an intriguing proposition.
      So it would be cheaper to make a trip to KZoo, play a game, bus to Notre Dame, play another, then make a second trip where they fly to Notre Dame, play a game, bus to KZoo play another, then fly home, than to fly to KZoo, play two and fly home, then a separate trip to Notre Dame in the same fashion?
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Well I will bite: what in the holy heck are you people talking about?

As for Hockey East, why in the world would any team in Hockey East want any team west of Lake Erie? They already have a perfectly good league, make perfectly good money, and keep their travel costs relatively low. Because their league travel costs are so low, that allows the programs to engage in excellent Non-Conference series -- including Maine and North Dakota playing a home-and-home, or playing Notre Dame, or Western. These are one-time costs covered by a Non-Conference contract. Adding Notre Dame (and Western) would cost money -- because these are expenses which must be accounted for yearly, and for which only money from the League is split up to offset. I think Hockey East is probably very happy with thier league, as is, and I can't see why they would want Notre Dame -- let alone Western.

The only attraction is that BC and Notre Dame have a quasi-football rivalry.

But, of course, this entire conversation is being carried on in (by last count) three different threads. And generally being discussed by people who care a great deal about either Hockey East or Notre Dame or Western. I don't really care about any of those three above listed entities except as they directly impact LSSU hockey. And besides, Notre Dame is leaving the CCHA one way or another. Whether they are "ready" to make some grandiose announcement or not is immaterial.

Western is another animal. I would not associate Western as a major player in the college hockey scene. However, I give their administration high marks for giving it an all-out push. I give them high marks for trying. And they are actively pushing to get Western ANYWHERE but the (c)CHA. And I agree that with massive funding and stadium upgrades, Western has potential.

But Western Michigan D-I hockey is an afterthought -- behind football and basketball. You will note that ALL of the NCHC schools are DI hockey first. All of the NCHC schools have large, new arenas.

All of the schools are located in decent-sized metro areas. Grand Forks is the smallest NCHC home-town -- but as the home to UND hockey they are not constrained by the small population. And yet, all of these schools' towns' are larger than K-zoo.

Just thoughts . . . I don't necessarily think LSSU is heading even to the WCHA, let alone the NCHC. But LSSU has a few things Western does not have: A very good stadium, dedicated D-I hockey program, and tradition.
        Last edited by Lakerblue; 08-25-2011, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Diamond View Post
          Did you read my original post??

I know you're convinced every other program in the nation wants to be Northern, but, still.
          I never said everyone wanted to be Northern. In fact, I have hardly mentioned NMU anywhere in this thread. But please illustrate what a team like Merrimack, which will spend 7 nights in hotels this season at a cost estimate of about $10,000 gains by spending twice that on one trip to Kalamazoo? What does Northeastern gain? Or UMass? or UMass-Lowell? None of these schools has anything to gain by flying to Kalamazoo. Nor do they gain anything by Western visiting their barns when they won't draw any better, and may actually draw fewer than Army or St Lawrence or UConn. Nor would any of those schools want Northern either. There just isn't the name or the branding or the return on investment for the Hockey East schools.

Comment

Lakerblue-

I agree with most of that, with the quibble that Miami spends about the same amount on football and basketball that Western does and they reside in Oxford, which has 21,000 people, and about 14,000 of that is students.
            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
              Lakerblue-

I agree with most of that, with the quibble that Miami spends about the same amount on football and basketball that Western does and they reside in Oxford, which has 21,000 people, and about 14,000 of that is students.

Oh -- yes! My bad -- I completely forgot about Miami.

You know, that actually changes my opinion a little. Miami might be very happy to have Western in the NCHC, especially if Notre Dame goes elsewhere. But regardless, the fellow MAC school relatively close. And Miami, in Oxford, certainly would have the smallest home-town. Oxford is smaller than the Soo.

I guess it would be on the shoulders of Western's administration to show they are willing to spend the money. Not just for the program, for really for a massive upgrade in the stadium and facilities. A more-hockey-centric facility which will draw top recruits. I get the feeling the NCHC does not want bottom-feeders. I mean, yes -- somebody is going to finish last. But I think they want a league filled with as many top players as they can get.

IF Western could put together a 4-5,000 seat stadium (much like Duluth's very nice new building), and FILL the thing, and get local media coverage -- Western could make it work.

But I don't think the NCHC boys want a program that is "dedicated" today, and making "tough budget decisions" the next day.

Comment

The Lakers WILL join the WCHA, along with the rest of the CCHA teams left after the carnage!

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...teams_will.php

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                  The Lakers WILL join the WCHA, along with the rest of the CCHA teams left after the carnage!

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...teams_will.php
                  Again, Congrats to the Lakers!
                  (and yes, it was a tease)
                  Great tradition, new bricks & mortar project, new hockey budget commitments....what's not to like about the Lakers. This league will expand further, perhaps into two divisions later in the game, but a scenerio many have wanted has happened. A GREAT league with many schools sharing similar resource bases, with hockey as their D-1 sport.
                  Congrats to AD Dunbar!!
                  Last edited by 3dognight; 08-25-2011, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Congrats guys!

Comment

Good news for you guys, FSU and BG. Not so much for UAH...
                      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Wow.

Let me just bask in this.

WOW!

A month ago, we were being relegated to the CHA.

Now this.

What great news for LSSU!

This means so much for the program and the fans and the alumni.

Here are some of my favorite clips from the article:

At least three CCHA schools are certain to accept — Lake Superior State, Ferris State and Alaska.

However, Lake Superior State and Alaska have been pushing hard for a move to the WCHA.

I would like to take a second and thank the administration on the Hill for seeing the need to act on moving into the WCHA. I truly thought it was a longshot. I think the Administration on the Hill worked quietly, but clearly were dedicated to the importance of getting out of the rotting CCHA and into the WCHA.

The decision essentially ends the CCHA, thus making it a noble move by CCHA commissioner Fred Pletsch, who could be without a position in 2013. SORRY, but Pletch is alraedy penciled in as the new Information Director for the Big Ten. he was only running the CCHA for the next two years as a means to protect the interests of UM and MSU.

Now we have, at a minimum:

LSSU
                        MTU
                        NMU
                        UAF
                        UAA
                        Bemidji
                        SCSU
                        Mankato

And perhaps Ferris and BGSU (and maybe Western).

On a side note: I can't imagine BGSU being a fit for the NCHC more than Western. And I am not sure Western carries such a big stick that the NCHC will bend to any pressure to "take both or neither." Ferris is in a wierd spot. It would be a lone WCHA outpost in the middle of western Michigan. BGSU would also be in an odd spot, being the lone WCHA outpost in northwestern Ohio. Neither Ferris nor BGSU have been exactly breaking attendance records. And Ferris and BGSU have the two worst, smallest, facilities in the CCHA -- which would put them absolutely the worst facilities in the WCHA.

However, Ferris and BGSU and UAH would automatically have the best facilities if the three AHA schools joined, and they formed a new league.

But what do I know?

I am just amazed and thrilled at LSSU joining Tech and NMU in the same conference! What a thrill for ALL UP hockey fans!

Is there a possiblity that Ferris, BGSU, UAH and three AHA schools form their own conference (if an NCAA autobid was offered)?

Comment

Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
                          Is there a possiblity that Ferris, BGSU, UAH and three AHA schools form their own conference (if an NCAA autobid was offered)?
                          Very doubtful. My suspicion is that the AHA schools were very tentative to the point of not being interested in another 6 team league perpetually on the edge of shutting down like the CHA. Everyone wants stability first as much as possible.
                          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

The "old" CCHA auto bid will be taken by the NHC unless the WCHA continues to expand.
                            Ferris would much rather have the 3 UP schools, SCSU, etc. as home draws vs Bentley, and the tiny AHA teams.
                            Hell, they are a top 20 program this year! I think they will join the WCHA (next week as they need board approval)
                            WMU is the school on the fence....the rumor has it the Pres is pushing for a higher profile with athletics OK with WCHA.(but was not thrilled with the CCHA- AHA combo)

A GREAT move by the Lakers!
                            Last edited by 3dognight; 08-25-2011, 05:21 PM.

Comment

No doubt Ferris is a decent program, on the ice. And absolutely they would probably prefer the WCHA over some watered down version of the CHA. I just wonder what is happening in Big Rapids. It seems like every soon-to-be-former-CCHA school has made noise one way or another -- except Ferris.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                                So it would be cheaper to make a trip to KZoo, play a game, bus to Notre Dame, play another, then make a second trip where they fly to Notre Dame, play a game, bus to KZoo play another, then fly home, than to fly to KZoo, play two and fly home, then a separate trip to Notre Dame in the same fashion?
                                Again, why would Hockey East at 12 want to go beyond a 22 game schedule?
                                UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Working...
                                X