Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Laker Hockey 2011-12

Originally posted by RealLaker94 View Post
    Where the Lakers will be playing in a few years could have an impact on recruiting. Potential student athletes are probably more apt to commit to a school that has their future conference plans in place. For example, a player that is maybe on the bubble between LSSU and NMU may choose to commit to Northern due to the fact that they know they'll be playing in the WCHA in a couple of years. Coaches recruit the conference sometimes just as much as the school itself. This is one of the reasons why the NCHC was formed.

BTW, it's good to be back. My old account (Laker94) was hacked, and I havn't been able to post for over a year. I've been reading though....
    Given the Lakers' propensity to recruit most heavily in southern Ontario in recent years, it makes you wonder whether Roque cares which conference the Lakers wind up in. Many of us prefer to see the Lakers in the WCHA, but a re-tooled CCHA with the Lakers and 4 AHA teams included would make a lot of games closer for family/friends of kids recruited from southern Ontario and be a selling point for the coaching staff during recruiting.

Comment

It's now official. Doug Laprade is the new assistant coach:

http://www.lssulakers.com/sports/m-h...s/Laprade_Doug

Also, the 2011/12 roster is now out:

http://www.lssulakers.com/sports/m-h...2011-12/roster

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
        It's now official. Doug Laprade is the new assistant coach:

http://www.lssulakers.com/sports/m-h...s/Laprade_Doug
        I don't know much about Doug, except what the artical says, can you or anyone else tell me more? Some of you may know him more than me, what does he bring to the job? Do you think he will be a big help as an assistant? Thanks.
        Go Lakers!

Comment

Originally posted by Laker54 View Post
          I don't know much about Doug, except what the artical says, can you or anyone else tell me more? Some of you may know him more than me, what does he bring to the job? Do you think he will be a big help as an assistant? Thanks.
          Doug is a tremendous addition to the Laker coaching staff and along with the current assistant coach, Tim Christian, is a character guy, who will be a breath of fresh air at the University. Glad to see him land back on his feet not only with this, but in his professional life as well, after the debacle and the way it was handled with the radio last year.

Good luck Doug your Canadian friends are pulling for you!

Comment

NCAA.com has a blurb regarding today's WCHA- CCHA Mtg in Chicago. (sorry no link, I am on the iPad out of town) it is posted on google news.
            Info share, some NCAA quality spin, maybe further talks? Better than not talking I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by 3dognight View Post
              NCAA.com has a blurb regarding today's WCHA- CCHA Mtg in Chicago. (sorry no link, I am on the iPad out of town) it is posted on google news.
              Info share, some NCAA quality spin, maybe further talks? Better than not talking I suppose.
              There's this link to the mtg from the St Cloud site, but it doesn't say a lot:

http://www.stcloudstate.edu/athletic...&storyID=36057

Comment

Interesting that Western was there and Notre Dame wasn't. Western must be feeling the need to get into some conference.

Comment

I don't think Western really wants to burn any bridges at this point, and keep all options open. Even though they keep stating they will move to whatever conference Notre Dame goes to, nothing has been released by ND stating they will take the Broncos with them. I know that representatives from the NCHC have met with Western, but I havn't seen anything released stating they've offered them a spot. Personally, I'd like to see Western and Bowling Green go to the NCHC (keep the MAC shcools together with Miami) and Ferris, Lake, and Alaska go to the West. It would keep the GLIAC teams together and pair up the Alaska teams. I agree with previous posts that the CCHA needs to die.

Comment

I'd like to see Western and Bowling Green go to the NCHC (keep the MAC shcools together with Miami)
                    The dream of the MAC Hockey Conference will never die

There were a few rumors floataing around the twitterverse yesterday about BG going with Western to the NCHC. While I have nothing against BG, most aspects of their program seem to be at odds with what the NCHC member schools have stated are their critera for selecting addional schools. Their arena is in need of a major overhaul (This might be in the pipleline), there is minimal fan support, and over a decade of loosing seasons don't scream "a commitment to hockey excellence", so if in the end their goal is just to populate the conference with two more teams that have relativley large athletic budgets why not BGSUcks? At least it would give Miami fans an easy game to travel to.

Comment

Unless the AHA schools decide to stay where they are, talks of a WCHA/CCHA merger may be just that; talk. The autobid is a huge plus for a league, and it's not likely that the WCHA and CCHA would merge and give one up unless that was the only way possible to provide a conference home for the remaining CCHA teams in the event that the AHA teams don't join the CCHA. If the AHA teams did decide to stay put and the WCHA and CCHA merged, we will likely see East and West divisions of the combined conference and I hope that UAH would have a place there also.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                        Unless the AHA schools decide to stay where they are, talks of a WCHA/CCHA merger may be just that; talk. The autobid is a huge plus for a league, and it's not likely that the WCHA and CCHA would merge and give one up unless that was the only way possible to provide a conference home for the remaining CCHA teams in the event that the AHA teams don't join the CCHA. If the AHA teams did decide to stay put and the WCHA and CCHA merged, we will likely see East and West divisions of the combined conference and I hope that UAH would have a place there also.
                        I don't see the AHA-4 as anywhere near a slam dunk for the CCHA. It would be nice if it were that easy, but joining the CCHA would also require jumps in expenditures by the AHA clubs, without any real increase in revenues. So if the AHA teams were to join the CCHA, there are some gaps that need to be bridged. I see a WCHA-CCHA alliance as a much more possible situation than I did even a couple weeks ago. The next six weeks are going to be quite interesting.
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I don't think Western really wants to burn any bridges at this point, and keep all options open. Even though they keep stating they will move to whatever conference Notre Dame goes to, nothing has been released by ND stating they will take the Broncos with them. I know that representatives from the NCHC have met with Western, but I havn't seen anything released stating they've offered them a spot. Personally, I'd like to see Western and Bowling Green go to the NCHC (keep the MAC shcools together with Miami) and Ferris, Lake, and Alaska go to the West. It would keep the GLIAC teams together and pair up the Alaska teams. I agree with previous posts that the CCHA needs to die.
                          I see the chances that Western gets into Hockey East as minimal. That has been a bus league with very little overnight travel. They would love to have the Notre Dame brand associated with the league and could absorb the flight expense to South Bend, but what would Western add to the league? Would would Hockey East gain by spending $20K to fly to KZoo?
                          Last edited by davyd83; 08-24-2011, 12:04 PM.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Rumor of the Day:

LSSU is trying to get into the NCHC.

Heard that this morning.

I don't care for absurd rumors, and I hate un-named sources. Ordinarily I wouldn't, and don't, post this sort of "alleged-insider, but-won't-reveal-my-source BS" that too often passes for news on the internet.

But its August. I'm bored. And we've all discussed virtually every angle of LSSU's hockey program in varying degrees of depth for the past few months -- and its still a month and a half away from dropping the puck.

Sooooo, I thought I would drop this rather dubius rumor into our little forum for discussion.

Now, the source says LSSU has a great stadium, great tradition, and some very well known successful hockey alumni. The source also noted that Jeff Jackson has been a silent but dedicated supporter for LSSU behind the scenes in all of these conference discussions (how does he know? I haven't a clue, and I am not voiching for the comment -- just passing on for fun's-sake).

Of course, Bemidji also has a great stadium, great tradition. Same with Tech. Heck, same with SCSU.

The difference is money. And, I suspect, national footprint.

And LSSU aint broke, but money has been an issue in the past, and the national footprint is very, very small.

So, could LSSU be a potential dark horse for the NCHC? Especially if Notre Dame gets in?

Comment

Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
                              Rumor of the Day:

Heard that this morning.

I don't care for absurd rumors, and I hate un-named sources. Ordinarily I wouldn't, and don't, post this sort of "alleged-insider, but-won't-reveal-my-source BS" that too often passes for news on the internet.

But its August. I'm bored. And we've all discussed virtually every angle of LSSU's hockey program in varying degrees of depth for the past few months -- and its still a month and a half away from dropping the puck.

Sooooo, I thought I would drop this rather dubius rumor into our little forum for discussion.

Now, the source says LSSU has a great stadium, great tradition, and some very well known successful hockey alumni. The source also noted that Jeff Jackson has been a silent but dedicated supporter for LSSU behind the scenes in all of these conference discussions (how does he know? I haven't a clue, and I am not voiching for the comment -- just passing on for fun's-sake).

Of course, Bemidji also has a great stadium, great tradition. Same with Tech. Heck, same with SCSU.

And LSSU aint broke, but money has been an issue in the past, and the national footprint is very, very small.

So, could LSSU be a potential dark horse for the NCHC? Especially if Notre Dame gets in?
                              Not a chance! Does anyone actually see LSSU, at minimum, doubling their hockey budget?

Comment

Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
                                Rumor of the Day:

Heard that this morning.

The latest rumor floating around is Lake State will join Notre Dame in Hockey East. They will go where the Irish go because of Jeff Jackson's ties to the university.

Jim Roque is also an early favorite for NCAA coach of the year.

Comment

Working...
                                X