Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Laker Hockey 2011-12

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    Quinnipiac and Bentley as conference foes? Really? They aren't even in the mix. And since none of what has happened behind the scenes has been publicized, how do you know what is being done or not being done. Many NMU fans were wondering if anything was being done, but then came the announcement that they would see entry into the WCHA. How would you assure LSSU will end up in the best possible situation? If WCHA schools are against traveling to the Soo and adding an extra day to those trips, how will you convince them to bring LSSU in as opposed to Alaska, where the travel time is about the same, but Alaska pays for the travel and the games played there are exempt. You are critical of every thing anyone the University does or what you perceive they do or don't do. Now, offer a plan. Offer a suggestion. Offer something other than just complaints and degradation. Do you have anything of substance to offer?
    On your first point the quality of schools and likely conference opponents, whether they are Bentley, Grand Valley, or Army are all the same. On your final question the answer is yes and if any of you people up there were objective or not part of or afraid of the good ole boy network that encompasses the college and your little villiage you might say that too.

The Truth Is Out There.....
    Last edited by Truth Squad; 08-18-2011, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Squad View Post
      On your first point the quality of schools and likely conference opponents, whether they are Bentley, Grand Valley, or Army are all the same. On your final question the answer is yes and if any of you people up there were objective or not part of or afraid of the good ole boy network that encompasses the college and your little villiage you might say that too.

The Truth Is Out There.....
      You asking someone else to be objective??? That's a good one
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Grand Valley hockey would be sort of cool. I don't know if they even care about hockey at GVSU, or if they have any interest.

Just from a regional matter, I GVSU could play in downtown GR and might raelly help to increase GR's college hockey following.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
          Grand Valley hockey would be sort of cool. I don't know if they even care about hockey at GVSU, or if they have any interest.

Just from a regional matter, I GVSU could play in downtown GR and might raelly help to increase GR's college hockey following.
          It would make sense to add Grand Valley to the CCHA along with the four Atlantic teams and Alabama Huntsville. Does anyone else think in 2013-2014 this could be what the CCHA is?

Bowling Green
          Ferris State
          Lake Superior
          Alabama-Huntsville
          Canisius
          Niagara
          Mercyhurst
          Robert Morris
          Grand Valley

Ok I am kidding on the Grand Valley. Don't want to be lumped into the extreme elements of this side (see Truth Squad).

If there is anyone that doesn't think that will happen to the league, I am curious to know where you think the Lakers will go, and what will happen to the CCHA. Because let's be serious, it is all speculation and rumor at this point.

The other question is how will the Lakers fare, if they stay in the new CCHA. I am sure there are those on here that would say easy first place and domination by the Lakers. Again, don't lump me into the polar opposite on the other extreme side, or the antithesis of Truth Squad (Bill among others).

The season can't get here fast enough. Any pre-season polls out yet? Where do you think the Lakers will be ranked?

Comment

Its all up in the air. So with a Friday afternoon pending, and with no work pending desperately for my attention, I turn my gaze back toward my beloved Lakers. My thoughts, hopes, and dreams for my program are as follows:

1. Best scenario: LSSU joins the WCHA. Playing with Tech and NMU, in a stable league with dedicated D-I hockey schools, would be a huge bonus for LSSU. I am dreaming that LSSU can head West with its UP brethren.

2. Second best: LSSU forms a new league with NCAA auto-bid permission. Kill the CCHA, its a dead mule rotting in the sun, anyhow. The CCHA has morphed, over the last ten years, into a corporate office existing solely for the protection and financing of UM and MSU hockey. Every top level exec, and every stick of furniture from the CCHA offices is going to be moved to the new Big Ten Hockey HQ (wherever that may be). The CCHA offices, gutted and empty, would be back-filled by the thrid-and-fourth rung administrators currently working in the CCHA will be promoted -- merely be inertia -- into leadership positions. So the CCHA just has to die. A new league with a new plan, a new HQ, and none of the old baggage is the best option (of course, only if the NCAA allows the dead-CCHA's autobid to transfer). Then LSSU can build a new league on a fresh canvass with Niagara, Mercyhurst, Caniscius, Ferris, BGSU, UAH, and itself (And maybe Western and UAF, if the WCHA keeps them out). Put the HQ in Grand Rapids, or K-Zoo, or even in the Soo.

3. Worst: Keep the CCHA, call it the (c)CHA, and fill in empty spots with random AHA teams that just want a chance to add more scholarships. This would be building an ugly house, which nobody wants, on a crumbled foundation. Its such a horrible idea not because of the schools. Its a horrible idea because the CCHA, as noted, is a terrible operation from top to bottom. And in fact, we all know that the CCHA is only existing for the next two years to keep the money flowing to UM and MSU . . . and after that, who cares, right?

Sorry, but the boys in the WCHA complaining about Bruce McCleod aint seen nothing. Bruce is the picture of competence. The WCHA, and Hockey East, are models of well run conferences. Heck, I think the AHA is a well run conference, if only because they know who they are, they know what they want to accomplish, and they strive for uniformity of competition.

The CCHA is a joke.

Look at the WCHA Final Five in St. Paul. Huge event. Huge crowds. The last two years it was in St. Paul without Minnesota, and they still had huge crowds.
            Look at the HE finals in Boston.
            And then look at the sad-sack, 3/4 empty Joe for the CCHA finals. All the empty seats, apathetic fans (or worse, the dreaded Wallmart Wolverine fans). Its horrible. The play-in and semi-final games at the Final Five and the HE final are huge -- the play in games at the Joe are empty. This is the league officials NOT being able to market the league. Why not move the Final around? Why not try other locations? Why not try other marketing schemes? Nothing -- just a big empty stadium.

Nope, the CCHA must be blown up. The entire staff, down to the MSU and UM kids who get internships (dirty little secret: only MSU and UM kids get internships at the CCHA home office) -- fire them all. Put them all out of work. They have failed miserably.

Comment

Originally posted by Flem Of The North View Post
              It would make sense to add Grand Valley to the CCHA along with the four Atlantic teams and Alabama Huntsville. Does anyone else think in 2013-2014 this could be what the CCHA is?

Bowling Green
              Ferris State
              Lake Superior
              Alabama-Huntsville
              Canisius
              Niagara
              Mercyhurst
              Robert Morris
              Grand Valley

Ok I am kidding on the Grand Valley. Don't want to be lumped into the extreme elements of this side (see Truth Squad).

If there is anyone that doesn't think that will happen to the league, I am curious to know where you think the Lakers will go, and what will happen to the CCHA. Because let's be serious, it is all speculation and rumor at this point.

The other question is how will the Lakers fare, if they stay in the new CCHA. I am sure there are those on here that would say easy first place and domination by the Lakers. Again, don't lump me into the polar opposite on the other extreme side, or the antithesis of Truth Squad (Bill among others).

The season can't get here fast enough. Any pre-season polls out yet? Where do you think the Lakers will be ranked?
              I think this is a fairly logical projection of what the CCHA might look like in 2013-14, with the exception of Grand Valley, and assuming the WCHA won't accept the Lakers, which many think likely but still hasn't been determined for sure. I'd prefer to see the Lakers in the WCHA, but supposedly the MN schools aren't warm to that idea because of travel issues.

In the case of Grand Valley, all kidding aside, they don't have an arena of their own. Yes, the Van Andel in downtown GR is very nice, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to work something out scheduling wise with Grand Valley even if GV did express a desire to start a Div 1 program. The Griffins (Red Wings top minor league team) play there plus the Van Andel is one of the top mid size arenas in the country for concert/event bookings. It also might prove to be too big of an arena for a start-up GV program; it would be a gamble from an attendance perspective. If Grand Valley ever did decide to start a program, a re-tooled CCHA would be their sensible conference.

I expect the Lakers to be ranked near the bottom of the pre-season CCHA poll. They haven't proven they deserve to be ranked higher, plus they lost a lot of key scoring from last season.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
                Its all up in the air. So with a Friday afternoon pending, and with no work pending desperately for my attention, I turn my gaze back toward my beloved Lakers. My thoughts, hopes, and dreams for my program are as follows:

1. Best scenario: LSSU joins the WCHA. Playing with Tech and NMU, in a stable league with dedicated D-I hockey schools, would be a huge bonus for LSSU. I am dreaming that LSSU can head West with its UP brethren.

2. Second best: LSSU forms a new league with NCAA auto-bid permission. Kill the CCHA, its a dead mule rotting in the sun, anyhow. The CCHA has morphed, over the last ten years, into a corporate office existing solely for the protection and financing of UM and MSU hockey. Every top level exec, and every stick of furniture from the CCHA offices is going to be moved to the new Big Ten Hockey HQ (wherever that may be). The CCHA offices, gutted and empty, would be back-filled by the thrid-and-fourth rung administrators currently working in the CCHA will be promoted -- merely be inertia -- into leadership positions. So the CCHA just has to die. A new league with a new plan, a new HQ, and none of the old baggage is the best option (of course, only if the NCAA allows the dead-CCHA's autobid to transfer). Then LSSU can build a new league on a fresh canvass with Niagara, Mercyhurst, Caniscius, Ferris, BGSU, UAH, and itself (And maybe Western and UAF, if the WCHA keeps them out). Put the HQ in Grand Rapids, or K-Zoo, or even in the Soo.

3. Worst: Keep the CCHA, call it the (c)CHA, and fill in empty spots with random AHA teams that just want a chance to add more scholarships. This would be building an ugly house, which nobody wants, on a crumbled foundation. Its such a horrible idea not because of the schools. Its a horrible idea because the CCHA, as noted, is a terrible operation from top to bottom. And in fact, we all know that the CCHA is only existing for the next two years to keep the money flowing to UM and MSU . . . and after that, who cares, right?

Sorry, but the boys in the WCHA complaining about Bruce McCleod aint seen nothing. Bruce is the picture of competence. The WCHA, and Hockey East, are models of well run conferences. Heck, I think the AHA is a well run conference, if only because they know who they are, they know what they want to accomplish, and they strive for uniformity of competition.

The CCHA is a joke.

Look at the WCHA Final Five in St. Paul. Huge event. Huge crowds. The last two years it was in St. Paul without Minnesota, and they still had huge crowds.
                Look at the HE finals in Boston.
                And then look at the sad-sack, 3/4 empty Joe for the CCHA finals. All the empty seats, apathetic fans (or worse, the dreaded Wallmart Wolverine fans). Its horrible. The play-in and semi-final games at the Final Five and the HE final are huge -- the play in games at the Joe are empty. This is the league officials NOT being able to market the league. Why not move the Final around? Why not try other locations? Why not try other marketing schemes? Nothing -- just a big empty stadium.

Nope, the CCHA must be blown up. The entire staff, down to the MSU and UM kids who get internships (dirty little secret: only MSU and UM kids get internships at the CCHA home office) -- fire them all. Put them all out of work. They have failed miserably.
                Very well stated and great info and points in the last two posts. I would venture a guess and say it will be closer to #2 or #3 than #1. I totally agree that they should get out of anything with the CCHA mantra and even if they have to be in a league with the Atlantic schools, make it something new. New name, new format, new brand, just something new, fresh and exciting.

Personally I would hope the A.D. wouldn't stop there and look at their own hockey program for something new, fresh and exciting.

I agree with Bill and think the Lakers will be picked towards the bottom, probably #10. KK is going to have another monster year because this years senior class doesn't have tons of snipers and goal scoring could be, like it has for how many years now, be at a premium.

Comment

So any word on KK's surgery. Also seen Ravn in Stratroy this week last week with SM. That JB kid was there also. Steve had three prospect camps and was I told the JB kid was there for all three and helping with the camp. LSSU needs players that work hard on their own. Also seen BMW at one of Steve's other camps any word on him and what he is up to. Sure Hope LSSU concentrates on defense and I will go out on a limb and say they finish in the middle of the pack.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyintheblood View Post
                    So any word on KK's surgery. Also seen Ravn in Stratroy this week last week with SM. That JB kid was there also. Steve had three prospect camps and was I told the JB kid was there for all three and helping with the camp. LSSU needs players that work hard on their own. Also seen BMW at one of Steve's other camps any word on him and what he is up to. Sure Hope LSSU concentrates on defense and I will go out on a limb and say they finish in the middle of the pack.
                    I haven't heard anything about Kapalka's or Campbell's surgeries. I get the SM reference, but JB?

Comment

I would love to see the Lakers in the same conference as NMU and MTU but I will just be glad when this realignment gets hashed out. So tired of the waiting and hoping.
                      BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post
                        I would love to see the Lakers in the same conference as NMU and MTU but I will just be glad when this realignment gets hashed out. So tired of the waiting and hoping.
                        Agreed 100 percent! I sure hope we know our fate by the end of September before the start of the season.
                        LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                          Agreed 100 percent! I sure hope we know our fate by the end of September before the start of the season.
                          It won't affect the team until three seasons from now. Why would it matter if anything happens before October 1?

Comment

Originally posted by DopeyBaker View Post
                            It won't affect the team until three seasons from now. Why would it matter if anything happens before October 1?
                            It would be nice to put it all to bed.
                            Go Lakers!

Comment

Originally posted by Laker54 View Post
                              It would be nice to put it all to bed.

Exactly
                              BLEED BLUE

Comment

Where the Lakers will be playing in a few years could have an impact on recruiting. Potential student athletes are probably more apt to commit to a school that has their future conference plans in place. For example, a player that is maybe on the bubble between LSSU and NMU may choose to commit to Northern due to the fact that they know they'll be playing in the WCHA in a couple of years. Coaches recruit the conference sometimes just as much as the school itself. This is one of the reasons why the NCHC was formed.

BTW, it's good to be back. My old account (Laker94) was hacked, and I havn't been able to post for over a year. I've been reading though....
                                Last edited by RealLaker94; 08-22-2011, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X