LSSU Laker Hockey 2011-12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Laker Hockey 2011-12

Maybe this year will be the one we have been waiting for, we can only hope as Laker fans.[/QUOTE]

If being picked to finish 10th or 11th is what we have been waiting for,I say let's get on board that train and enjoy the ride.

Comment

On Tuesday 8/ 9 / 11 WCHA commish & Bemidji coach visit UAF to see the campus, fan base, facility, then a quick visit to UAA.
      UAF hockey budget of 2.4 million dollars considered "adequate"for WCHA consideration, UAA also supports the move (obviously).

Last Thursday a member of the Goldwater Group (NHC consultants) visited WMU and provided the specifics regarding the budget and facility requirements for entry into the NHC.
      Budget requirements will be met, but they will need Lawson renovation within 3-5 years (Minor to moderate). If WMU commits to the changes they will be in.

ND to announce at CCHA Mtgs next week? Then CCHA / WCHA pow wow the following week. Then AHA talks resume on the 30th. Busy next couple of weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by 3dognight View Post
        On Tuesday 8/ 9 / 11 WCHA commish & Bemidji coach visit UAF to see the campus, fan base, facility, then a quick visit to UAA.
        UAF hockey budget of 2.4 million dollars considered "adequate"for WCHA consideration, UAA also supports the move (obviously).

Last Thursday a member of the Goldwater Group (NHC consultants) visited WMU and provided the specifics regarding the budget and facility requirements for entry into the NHC.
        Budget requirements will be met, but they will need Lawson renovation within 3-5 years (Minor to moderate). If WMU commits to the changes they will be in.

ND to announce at CCHA Mtgs next week? Then CCHA / WCHA pow wow the following week. Then AHA talks resume on the 30th. Busy next couple of weeks.
        I think WMU wants to see ND move to the NHC and then follow them there. If ND instead moves to Hockey East, I don't see WMU following them there. But WMU now has a home in the NHC if they want it and are willing to upgrade Lawson, which seems likely in light of their increasing financial commitment to hockey the past year. I'll be surprised if UAF doesn't wind up in the WCHA.

Comment

Do you have a link to any story which quotes either the Goldwater Group or Kathy Beauregard saying that if the commitment made to a new arena or renovating Lawson is made, that the NCHC will admit Western?

Here is the latest story from the Kalamzoo Gazette. http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.s...ockey_con.html
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
            I think WMU wants to see ND move to the NHC and then follow them there. If ND instead moves to Hockey East, I don't see WMU following them there. But WMU now has a home in the NHC if they want it and are willing to upgrade Lawson, which seems likely in light of their increasing financial commitment to hockey the past year. I'll be surprised if UAF doesn't wind up in the WCHA.
            I would agree with you Bill. I think that WMU is a get bet for the NCHC IF Notre Dame opts to go there as well. But if Notre Dame goes to Hockey East, we may have another mess on our hands, with another mini feeding frenzy taking place. Unless Minnesota Moorhead decides not to pursue a D-I hockey program, there likely is but one spot left in the WCHA, and that will go to one of three schools, Alaska-Fairbanks, LSSU or possibly Western.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

No link davyd...phone conversation with a person at the Goldwater group.
              Same person that provided NMU to WCHA info......prior to press.
              Last edited by 3dognight; 08-11-2011, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                I would agree with you Bill. I think that WMU is a get bet for the NCHC IF Notre Dame opts to go there as well. But if Notre Dame goes to Hockey East, we may have another mess on our hands, with another mini feeding frenzy taking place. Unless Minnesota Moorhead decides not to pursue a D-I hockey program, there likely is but one spot left in the WCHA, and that will go to one of three schools, Alaska-Fairbanks, LSSU or possibly Western.
                I don't think Western would be interested in the WCHA. With the money they've started putting into hockey, I think the NCHC is their preferred destination.

Comment

What about the rumor of ND perhaps being independent?
                  I don't see how that works, but could they really consider that option, play everyone, and get an at large berth due to their pairwise?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                    I don't think Western would be interested in the WCHA. With the money they've started putting into hockey, I think the NCHC is their preferred destination.
                    I know that the NCHC is the preferred destination. That's a virtual certainty. But if Notre Dame doesn't go that route, or they are unable to secure a new arena or renovations, they may not have many options. I really don't see Hockey East taking Western, with or without Notre Dame. You have to remember that has been a bus league with relatively little overnight travel. They'll absorb a flight to have the Notre Dame identity in the league, but Western doesn't offer the bang for the buck that the Irish do. The best hope for Western to get into the NCHC is to renovate Lawson to meet the guidlines. The city has been talking about a new arena for several years, but with the economic conditions and a very tight fisted governor in office, you would see little, if any state money involved. Time for the WMU donors to dig a little deeper.

Comment

What about the rumor of ND perhaps being independent?
                      I don't see how that works, but could they really consider that option, play everyone, and get an at large berth due to their pairwise?
                      There has been no credible source on that one. The thread here was started as speculation by a fan.

Comment

No link davyd...phone conversation with a person at the Goldwater group.
                        Same person that provided NMU to WCHA info......prior to press.
                        Why would the Goldwater Group have been in on NMU to the WCHA, even before they were officially in with the NCHC?

Comment

I really don't see Hockey East taking Western, with or without Notre Dame. You have to remember that has been a bus league with relatively little overnight travel. They'll absorb a flight to have the Notre Dame identity in the league, but Western doesn't offer the bang for the buck that the Irish do.
                          On the other hand, WMU does help HEA preserve home and homes, because two teams can travel out to Notre Dame and WMU as travel partners, and the two teams can do the same.
                          UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                            Why would the Goldwater Group have been in on NMU to the WCHA, even before they were officially in with the NCHC?
                            College hockey is a small world and info on teams / leagues often overlap.They were also involved with some WCHA breakaways in an advisory role for awhile now.
                            Last edited by 3dognight; 08-11-2011, 07:51 PM.

Comment

I know that the NCHC is the preferred destination. That's a virtual certainty. But if Notre Dame doesn't go that route, or they are unable to secure a new arena or renovations, they may not have many options. I really don't see Hockey East taking Western, with or without Notre Dame. You have to remember that has been a bus league with relatively little overnight travel. They'll absorb a flight to have the Notre Dame identity in the league, but Western doesn't offer the bang for the buck that the Irish do. The best hope for Western to get into the NCHC is to renovate Lawson to meet the guidlines. The city has been talking about a new arena for several years, but with the economic conditions and a very tight fisted governor in office, you would see little, if any state money involved. Time for the WMU donors to dig a little deeper.
                              I kind of wonder if they already have something in the works with donors towards upgrades to Lawson or even a new arena. It doesn't make much sense to start putting a bunch more money into the program (to Blashill and now Murray) with a view towards making into a higher priority sport and not also realize they they correspondingly will need to upgrade facilities. No use just going part way.

Comment

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
                                On the other hand, WMU does help HEA preserve home and homes, because two teams can travel out to Notre Dame and WMU as travel partners, and the two teams can do the same.
                                Or one team can fly to Notre Dame and play 2 games.

Comment

Working...
                                X