Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Laker Hockey 2011-12

Originally posted by Flem Of The North View Post
    Anything, anything out of the athletic department about the future of Laker hockey? It sure sounds bleak, and no sound coming from the University makes it even scarier.
    If it is any consolation whatsoever, there hasn't been a peep out of Notre Dame, the athletic department, the hockey program or even our local paper about ND's plans. Only rumors. And I am sick to death of rumors.
    "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
      If it is any consolation whatsoever, there hasn't been a peep out of Notre Dame, the athletic department, the hockey program or even our local paper about ND's plans. Only rumors. And I am sick to death of rumors.
      Compared to keeping everyone in the dark during the post-Charlie coaching search, this must be a walk in the park for Swarbrick. I have a pretty limited personal stake in ND's decision and the wait is still killing me!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
        What is the most frustrating part about being a Laker fan these days is the non-biased observer can see the program heading in a downward slide and there doesn't seem to be much urgency or will to fix it and put it back in the right direction.

Look at what happens on here, aside from people who don't have an obvious agenda. On one side you have the Jim Roque haters who, no matter what he does, he isn't going to win their approval and they want him out for whatever reason, whether it was a Frank Anzalone supporter who felt he was treated unfairly, or a fan of a player who was cut. No matter what they are going to dislike Jim Roque.

On the other side there are Jim Roque supporters who will stop at nothing to change the conversation away from the reality of his coaching record, and lack of success as head coach at Lake State. They are not going to listen to any criticism and will attack anyone that doesn't tow the line with the coach and his talking points, even when they might make a valid point or two.

I think those two camps are minorities on here and that support the Lakers as a whole. The vast majority of Laker fans want to see a team that has decent talent, but more importantly puts it all out there and lays it all on the line twice a week during the winter. Judging by the results on the ice and the people staying away from games at an alarming number, that is not happening.

What is more frustrating is their seems to be apathy among a lot of the fans that oh woe is me we are never going to be able to win, it is unfair, and have accepted mediocrity. Heck right now mediocrity might sounds pretty good, because this upcoming year could be a really tough year on the ice for the Lakers. There doesn't seem to be any pressure on this coach to win and win now, and the excuses that are put forth on here for his lack of success, you have to wonder if Truth Squad and the other Roque detractors have a point. I haven't ever heard a tough question asked of him in the past year and the media tends to lay down for this coach, for whatever reason.

What I am trying to say is there are other Laker fans out there that love their team and their school that want to see better things out of a program that currently finishes in the bottom three almost every year, doesn't put out a consistent effort on the ice, fans are starting to get bored of the product, and now faced with the fact they might be in a conference with the Canisius and Robert Morris of the world. There is little to no buzz anymore about Laker hockey, except for the hardcore group of fans that they are losing in numbers.

Laker hockey isn't what it used to be, and those days may never come back. But should we that love the program and remember what it was like automatically dismiss it as a bygone era, or should we follow the examples of Western Michigan and get our house in order or do it. Why play the season if you are resigned to the fact that you can't win because it is unfair and all these schools have all these advantages. If that was the case we would have never won a National Championship, let alone three.

I for one refuse to think we can't be competitive and can't win again. I am sure there will be many on both sides that will attack my every statement and opinion that I have every right to post on here. As do the Bill's on one side and the Truth Squad's on the other.

There should be more urgency in a lot of areas with the Laker hockey program, but there doesn't seem to be any, at least on the surface or in public. This is a mute point, but I think this coach has proved nothing over the past six seasons and should have been gone if not before last year, certainly before this year. His lack of success on the ice and some of the items that happened off the ice certainly warrant it. That didn't happen and If there is can we get someone from the University to tell us why, please do, because you are losing a lot of fans in the process by your lack of actions.
        Last edited by Flem Of The North; 08-09-2011, 03:29 PM.

Comment

What is the most frustrating part about being a Laker fan these days is the non-biased observer can see the program heading in a downward slide and there doesn't seem to be much urgency or will to fix it and put it back in the right direction.

Look at what happens on here, aside from people who don't have an obvious agenda. On one side you have the Jim Roque haters who, no matter what he does, he isn't going to win their approval and they want him out for whatever reason, whether it was a Frank Anzalone supporter who felt he was treated unfairly, or a fan of a player who was cut. No matter what they are going to dislike Jim Roque.

On the other side there are Jim Roque supporters who will stop at nothing to change the conversation away from the reality of his coaching record, and lack of success as head coach at Lake State. They are not going to listen to any criticism and will attack anyone that doesn't tow the line with the coach and his talking points, even when they might make a valid point or two.

I think those two camps are minorities on here and that support the Lakers as a whole. The vast majority of Laker fans want to see a team that has decent talent, but more importantly puts it all out there and lays it all on the line twice a week during the winter. Judging by the results on the ice and the people staying away from games at an alarming number, that is not happening.

What is more frustrating is their seems to be apathy among a lot of the fans that oh woe is me we are never going to be able to win, it is unfair, and have accepted mediocrity. Heck right now mediocrity might sounds pretty good, because this upcoming year could be a really tough year on the ice for the Lakers. There doesn't seem to be any pressure on this coach to win and win now, and the excuses that are put forth on here for his lack of success, you have to wonder if Truth Squad and the other Roque detractors have a point. I haven't ever heard a tough question asked of him in the past year and the media tends to lay down for this coach, for whatever reason.

What I am trying to say is there are other Laker fans out there that love their team and their school that want to see better things out of a program that currently finishes in the bottom three almost every year, doesn't put out a consistent effort on the ice, fans are starting to get bored of the product, and now faced with the fact they might be in a conference with the Canisius and Robert Morris of the world. There is little to no buzz anymore about Laker hockey, except for the hardcore group of fans that they are losing in numbers.

Laker hockey isn't what it used to be, and those days may never come back. But should we that love the program and remember what it was like automatically dismiss it as a bygone era, or should we follow the examples of Western Michigan and get our house in order or do it. Why play the season if you are resigned to the fact that you can't win because it is unfair and all these schools have all these advantages. If that was the case we would have never won a National Championship, let alone three.

I for one refuse to think we can't be competitive and can't win again. I am sure there will be many on both sides that will attack my every statement and opinion that I have every right to post on here. As do the Bill's on one side and the Truth Squad's on the other.

There should be more urgency in a lot of areas with the Laker hockey program, but there doesn't seem to be any, at least on the surface or in public. This is a mute point, but I think this coach has proved nothing over the past six seasons and should have been gone if not before last year, certainly before this year. His lack of success on the ice and some of the items that happened off the ice certainly warrant it. That didn't happen and If there is can we get someone from the University to tell us why, please do, because you are losing a lot of fans in the process by your lack of actions.
          The best thing Laker fans can do is to fill that rink every night. That will significantly increase the money available to the program and then it can be spent on recruiting and other things that make for a better on ice product. Every time you don't show up and buy a ticket, that's less money in the LSSU coffers.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

By "Flem" you mean phlegm?

Comment

I think there are quote a few people concerned about the state of the program. Compare the LSSU thread, just as a very-non-scientific gauge, to threads for many other programs. The LSSU fans are actively involved with the team. There is not much to discuss in the middle of summer. And there is one person who parachutes in from time to time screaming about Frank. There are naturally people who are frustrated with the Coach, and those who aren't -- which is natural for a .500 coach. Win just enough to keep some people excited, but lose too much to keep other people from jumping on your back.

I think the silence from the Hill is interesting. I hope and pray that they are working diligently behind the scenes to move the program west. I think the administration was not as prepared as NMU and UAF in smelling the CCHA's dying corpse . . . but that doesn't mean they aren't making up for lost time right now. That also doesn't mean they aren't speaking with many other teams, leagues, and administrators trying to figure out the best route for the future of LSSU hockey. I am further hopeful that a dedicated e-mail writing campaign reinforced the belief that Hockey is LSSU's flagship athletic program among fans and alumni.

I don't think this is a terribly dysfunctional bunch, and I disagree with the conclusion that Laker fans are too busy tossing blame to support their team.
              Last edited by Lakerblue; 08-09-2011, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Help me out here. You seem to have put me in the category of Jim Roque supporter/defender. Can you provide some specific instances of my posts where I've said what a fine job I think he is doing and that he should be kept on as head coach? Or is it just that I post quite a bit on this forum but am not constantly bashing Roque like TS and a couple of others do. I admit to my memory not being what it used to be, but I don't recall saying what a fine job Roque is doing. Come to think of it, I don't think there have been many (if any) posts from others praising Roque's coaching either. I guess I'm curious as to what your definition of a Jim Roque supporter/defender is. There's no question that the Lakers haven't performed well enough under Roque, and I have stated that before. Frankly I'm a little surprised he hasn't been fired. But that doesn't mean I feel like I have to come on here and bash him; that's just not my style. If others want to do so, that is their choice.

As far as things being quiet up on the hill right now regarding the conference situation, I think everyone is waiting for Notre Dame to announce their intentions, which should happen within the next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
                  I think there are quote a few people concerned about the state of the program. Compare the LSSU thread, just as a very-non-scientific gauge, to threads for many other programs. The LSSU fans are actively involved with the team. There is not much to discuss in the middle of summer. And there is one person who parachutes in from time to time screaming about Frank. There are naturally people who are frustrated with the Coach, and those who aren't -- which is natural for a .500 coach. Win just enough to keep some people excited, but lose too much to keep other people from jumping on your back.

I think the silence from the Hill is interesting. I hope and pray that they are working diligently behind the scenes to move the program west. I think the administration was not as prepared as NMU and UAF in smelling the CCHA's dying corpse . . . but that doesn't mean they aren't making up for lost time right now. That also doesn't mean they aren't speaking with many other teams, leagues, and administrators trying to figure out the best route for the future of LSSU hockey. I am further hopeful that a dedicated e-mail writing campaign reinforced the belief that Hockey is LSSU's flagship athletic program among fans and alumni.

I don't think this is a terribly dysfunctional bunch, and I disagree with the conclusion that Laker fans are too busy tossing blame to support their team.
                  I think that may be a little harsh about LSSU's action in the shifting world. The WCHA was interested in NMU two years ago. They were interested again. Who's to say that Roque and Dunbar haven't approached the WCHA? I would be pretty certain that they have to gauge interest. But they havent put anything in the media about their off season dealings. Just days before NMU announced that the WCHA would be discussed in the Board of Control Meeting, there were fans ripping them for inaction, when in fact, there had been alot going on. It's just that it was all behind the scenes and not played out in the media. If LSSU did approach the WCHA, and were rebuffed, what good would it have been to put that in the paper? I think that the WCHA has not alot of interest in LSSU, outside of Michigan Tech, among current members. The WCHA has said it wants 8 teams. It has six, with the potential of Minnesota Moorhead sitting out there as a 7th, and you know a league with three other Minnesota State System schools (Bemidji, St Cloud, Mankato) is going to hold a spot for that possibility. That leaves the potential for one more spot. One is Fairbanks, which pays for expenses and the travel for the Minnesota schools in the cases of St Cloud and Mankato, is actually less than it would be for a 2 day bus trip at your own expense to LSSU. The Bemidji-Fairbanks trip is roughly equivalent, but at the expense of Alaska. As far as the WCHA goes, LSSU's chances are not good. So what are the other options out there? A patchwork CCHA with the AHA schools and maybe Huntsville? It seems that some LSSU fans complain that schools like Mercyhurst or Robert Morris aren't glamorous enough to play in the same league. But these are the same fans that were upset that Michigan and Miami decided the same thing about LSSU (and NMU, Ferris and Bowling Green as well).

If I had my way, LSSU gets to join the WCHA over Alaska. I'd much rather the three hour trip to the Soo than the 17 or more hour excursion to Fairbanks. But I don't think it's a likely scenario. I would not be surprised if the five current WCHA schools haven't already have told LSSU as much. So now what? I wish I had the answer. All I know is that so much hinges on what Notre Dame decides to do. If the go to the NCHC, then it's likely that Western goes too and it's all nice and neat. Alaska goes to the WCHA, the AHA teams come to the CCHA and it's all said and done. But if Notre Dame goes to Hockey East, there may be another mini feeding frenzy.
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                    Compared to keeping everyone in the dark during the post-Charlie coaching search, this must be a walk in the park for Swarbrick. I have a pretty limited personal stake in ND's decision and the wait is still killing me!
                    Hell, It really wasn't that big of a secret as to who ND was courting the most Post-Lardass. Brian Kelly was the clear front runner.

And is it just me, or are the LSSU fans all a bunch of long winded ramblers when they post??
                    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Through the years Laker Hockey couldn't even afford flying back East to play UNH & Providence and now you're wanting to join the WCHA? That just doesn't compute........
                      The Administration and hockey program needs to re-visit they're collective expectations for the program. With the shuffling of the deck started by the founding of the Big Ten league, now is a good time for reflection. If the result is to be serious about
                      D1 hockey, commit to putting enough money in the travel budget to support it. If not, either stay in what's left of the CCHA or migrate to DIII.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                        Hell, It really wasn't that big of a secret as to who ND was courting the most Post-Lardass. Brian Kelly was the clear front runner.

And is it just me, or are the LSSU fans all a bunch of long winded ramblers when they post??
                        After two weeks went by no one could find a source to say that Kelly was the guy, and than suddenly multiple sites were a beat away from saying that they were going for Edsall. Just because they hired the assumed pick doesn't mean the media/fans were not in the dark during the process.
                        Last edited by MUhawks628; 08-10-2011, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post

Should it be limited to 140 characters?

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                            After two weeks went by no one could find a source to say that Kelly was the guy, and than suddenly multiple sites were a beat away from saying that they were going for Edsall. Just because they hired the assumed pick doesn't mean the media/fans were not in the dark during the process.
                            All of my GVSU sources said Kelly was going.

And Davy, how about around 300 or so??
                            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                              Help me out here. You seem to have put me in the category of Jim Roque supporter/defender. Can you provide some specific instances of my posts where I've said what a fine job I think he is doing and that he should be kept on as head coach? Or is it just that I post quite a bit on this forum but am not constantly bashing Roque like TS and a couple of others do. I admit to my memory not being what it used to be, but I don't recall saying what a fine job Roque is doing. Come to think of it, I don't think there have been many (if any) posts from others praising Roque's coaching either. I guess I'm curious as to what your definition of a Jim Roque supporter/defender is. There's no question that the Lakers haven't performed well enough under Roque, and I have stated that before. Frankly I'm a little surprised he hasn't been fired. But that doesn't mean I feel like I have to come on here and bash him; that's just not my style. If others want to do so, that is their choice.
                              That is a good one!

The Truth Is Out There....
                              TBA

Comment

Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post

I would get a bit more excited if we had a .500 coach, not this one who is 23 games below .500 and a winning percentage in the low .400's. Considering he was a .500 coach his first two seasons and has gone pretty much downhill ever sense is the most frustrating part as a Laker fan, and the total lack of accountability for the results is even more frustrating hearing the excuses.

And I don't want to get into the tie games scenario which was argued earlier by the two polar opposite viewpoints on here by Bill, who can be a bit condescending in his posts IMHO, and TBA Truth Sellers Squad, who is plain bitter and nuts in his or her contributions to this forum.

Maybe this year will be the one we have been waiting for, we can only hope as Laker fans.
                                Last edited by Flem Of The North; 08-10-2011, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X