Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Laker Hockey 2011-12

Originally posted by MeridianStreet View Post
    Als, some have commented about Ron Rolston coming here. He's going to take a $30-50,000 pay cut to coach the Lakers? His next move, whatever it turns out to be, will likely put him over the $200k mark.
    Rolston is new the coach of Buffalo's farm team, the Rochester Americans

Comment

Do you think Rolston will take JR as an assistant at his new gig?

Comment

Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
        Having watched game at Western's arena, ...
        WMU Hockey is pushing hard for a new arena. So were the K-Wings. Well, they were back a couple years ago, and I assume with the improvement last year by WMU that it gained some traction. I think they were looking at a basketball/hockey facility. I'm thinking they want a Van Andle type arena (maybe a little smaller).
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

LakerBlue...WMU ave attendance is 2900+ while LSSU is 2109. They also routinely cram 5000+ into Wings Stadium for the ECHL.
          They have 4 sheets busy with youth hockey.
          They have a town of 245k that has held it's own economically. It doesn't need to be a hockey mad town.....it can and will support a solid team playing top level talent in the NHC.
          The Lakers are not a big draw, and they often play to small crowds when we are in town. But put a big time matchup in there and Lawson is rocking. The Lawson Lunatics are a quality student section. So do not sleep on Kalamazoo. All things equal their campus and student life is easy to recruit to.
          I would characterize it as a town ready to embrace big time hockey as they do the K Wings. I worked 6 years at Bronson and routinely attended WMU and Wings games with large groups from the hospital. Football is number one, but hockey pushes BBall in all but stellar years.

Again, not a team with a ton of tradition....but a team poised for the future. the best thing that could happen for the CCHA would be retaining WMU(however unlikely).

Comment

I am sure Ferris and Bowling Green are exploring options as well . Lakers may wake up and find those 2 teams are bolting the CCHA as well. Thanks again Penn State .

Comment

Originally posted by 3dognight View Post
              LakerBlue...WMU ave attendance is 2900+ while LSSU is 2109. They also routinely cram 5000+ into Wings Stadium for the ECHL.
              They have 4 sheets busy with youth hockey.
              They have a town of 245k that has held it's own economically. It doesn't need to be a hockey mad town.....it can and will support a solid team playing top level talent in the NHC.
              The Lakers are not a big draw, and they often play to small crowds when we are in town. But put a big time matchup in there and Lawson is rocking. The Lawson Lunatics are a quality student section. So do not sleep on Kalamazoo. All things equal their campus and student life is easy to recruit to.
              I would characterize it as a town ready to embrace big time hockey as they do the K Wings. I worked 6 years at Bronson and routinely attended WMU and Wings games with large groups from the hospital. Football is number one, but hockey pushes BBall in all but stellar years.

Again, not a team with a ton of tradition....but a team poised for the future. the best thing that could happen for the CCHA would be retaining WMU(however unlikely).

And to be fair, I personally like Kalamazoo and the area, and I think Western is a very nice school. And I am sure that there are passionate hockey followers in Kzoo, as there are in Columbus and Cincinatti and Lansing. In fact, the times I've been to games at WMU (as recently as last season) I had a very nice time. But the rink is not top-tier, and the fan support -- though passionate in some quarters -- is tepid over the whole of the student body.

Compare Western's rink and stadium quality, and crowd sizes, to North Dakota, Denver, CC, Duluth. Its not even close.

None of this matters to me. I wish Western the best. Good for them for having a leadership the values its hockey program. But a sudden desire to support the hockey team has been seen and done before -- the situations at Ohio State and Wayne State showed passionate pro-hockey leadership led to passionate hockey support from the institution. Once the hockey supporter left the AD office, hockey fell off the map. At Wayne it died altogether. At Ohio State is just rotted on the vine.

My point was: why Western? More specifically, why are we LSSU folks sitting around bashing our own school? Why not be proud of your school? Why not defend our school? Where are the facts that say LSSU has the lowest budget? Why do we just sit back and take this beating from non-LSSU people, and from our own insiders? Why don't we step up and fight back?

The greatest thing Crazy Frank brought to LSSU was an attitude that said, "We don't care what you think -- we know we're good." That attitude used to run through the campus and students like water. Now the campus, and the leadership, just sit around and act like beat puppies, letting any schmuck or schmoe from down below (or worse, Marquette) toss unsubstantiated granades into our lap. And we say nothing, turn our heads, and cough.

That was my point about Western. Western is merely a guidepost, a marker, showing where we should be and where we are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
                The greatest thing Frank Anzalone brought to LSSU was an attitude that said, "We don't care what you think -- we know we're good." That attitude used to run through the campus and students like water.
                And what will they say about Jim Roque when he is gone. Ask some of the players and their experiences and they will tell you..

The Truth Is Out There....

Comment

• Originally posted by Truth Squad View Post
                  And what will they say about Jim Roque when he is gone. Ask some of the players and their experiences and they will tell you..

The Truth Is Out There....
                  Really? Your kid was cut from LSSU and the way you act out is trolling an Internet forum which has no bearing on the direction of the program.
                  Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                  What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Beware using common sense or logic with this one Flashy.
                    BLEED BLUE

Comment

• Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post
                      Beware using common sense or logic with this one Flashy.
                      Understandable. As for this guy's son, I bet the apple didn't fall far from the tree. He probably had issues with maturity that led to further issues.
                      Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                      What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                        WMU Hockey is pushing hard for a new arena. So were the K-Wings. Well, they were back a couple years ago, and I assume with the improvement last year by WMU that it gained some traction. I think they were looking at a basketball/hockey facility. I'm thinking they want a Van Andle type arena (maybe a little smaller).
                        A 6-7,000 seat arena downtown about 3ish miles from campus that had/has the support of most of the richer people in town, the K-Wings owner, and the land in question is owned by WMU. They wanted a county-wide tax on restaurant meals or something like that to pay for it when they first pushed it and people pushed back on that. It would have been on the 2010 ballot, but they decided against trying yet because most of them saw the writing on the wall that taxes were a non-starter in 2010.

It's been discussed that they might just do it with private cash. *shrug*
                        "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by Laker4Life View Post
                          Do you think Rolston will take JR as an assistant at his new gig?
                          J.R. was at Rolston's press conference on Wednesday. Could be a coincidence. I dunno.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                            Understandable. As for this guy's son, I bet the apple didn't fall far from the tree. He probably had issues with maturity that led to further issues.
                            If you plant corn you get corn.
                            Go Lakers!

Comment

The Ferris and BGSU ADs are members of the CCHA administrative council, that is why they were at the AHA sit-down.
                              LSSU AD is not a member of that committee.

Comment

Originally posted by 3dognight View Post
                                The Ferris and BGSU ADs are members of the CCHA administrative council, that is why they were at the AHA sit-down.
                                LSSU AD is not a member of that committee.

CCHA administrative council . Are you sure there is even one left ? Seems the CCHA is becoming an old league with one less C in it's name...........CHA

Comment

Working...
                                X