PDA

View Full Version : LSSU Laker Hockey 2011-12

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50

Lakerblue
08-25-2011, 05:39 PM
Wow.

Let me just bask in this.

WOW!

A month ago, we were being relegated to the CHA.

Now this.

What great news for LSSU!

This means so much for the program and the fans and the alumni.

Here are some of my favorite clips from the article:

At least three CCHA schools are certain to accept Lake Superior State, Ferris State and Alaska.

However, Lake Superior State and Alaska have been pushing hard for a move to the WCHA.

I would like to take a second and thank the administration on the Hill for seeing the need to act on moving into the WCHA. I truly thought it was a longshot. I think the Administration on the Hill worked quietly, but clearly were dedicated to the importance of getting out of the rotting CCHA and into the WCHA.

The decision essentially ends the CCHA, thus making it a noble move by CCHA commissioner Fred Pletsch, who could be without a position in 2013. SORRY, but Pletch is alraedy penciled in as the new Information Director for the Big Ten. he was only running the CCHA for the next two years as a means to protect the interests of UM and MSU.

Now we have, at a minimum:

LSSU
MTU
NMU
UAF
UAA
Bemidji
SCSU
Mankato

And perhaps Ferris and BGSU (and maybe Western).

On a side note: I can't imagine BGSU being a fit for the NCHC more than Western. And I am not sure Western carries such a big stick that the NCHC will bend to any pressure to "take both or neither." Ferris is in a wierd spot. It would be a lone WCHA outpost in the middle of western Michigan. BGSU would also be in an odd spot, being the lone WCHA outpost in northwestern Ohio. Neither Ferris nor BGSU have been exactly breaking attendance records. And Ferris and BGSU have the two worst, smallest, facilities in the CCHA -- which would put them absolutely the worst facilities in the WCHA.

However, Ferris and BGSU and UAH would automatically have the best facilities if the three AHA schools joined, and they formed a new league.

But what do I know?

I am just amazed and thrilled at LSSU joining Tech and NMU in the same conference! What a thrill for ALL UP hockey fans!

Is there a possiblity that Ferris, BGSU, UAH and three AHA schools form their own conference (if an NCAA autobid was offered)?

bronconick
08-25-2011, 05:43 PM
Is there a possiblity that Ferris, BGSU, UAH and three AHA schools form their own conference (if an NCAA autobid was offered)?

Very doubtful. My suspicion is that the AHA schools were very tentative to the point of not being interested in another 6 team league perpetually on the edge of shutting down like the CHA. Everyone wants stability first as much as possible.

3dognight
08-25-2011, 06:11 PM
The "old" CCHA auto bid will be taken by the NHC unless the WCHA continues to expand.
Ferris would much rather have the 3 UP schools, SCSU, etc. as home draws vs Bentley, and the tiny AHA teams.
Hell, they are a top 20 program this year! I think they will join the WCHA (next week as they need board approval)
WMU is the school on the fence....the rumor has it the Pres is pushing for a higher profile with athletics OK with WCHA.(but was not thrilled with the CCHA- AHA combo)

A GREAT move by the Lakers!

Lakerblue
08-25-2011, 06:20 PM
No doubt Ferris is a decent program, on the ice. And absolutely they would probably prefer the WCHA over some watered down version of the CHA. I just wonder what is happening in Big Rapids. It seems like every soon-to-be-former-CCHA school has made noise one way or another -- except Ferris.

kingdobbs
08-25-2011, 06:35 PM
So it would be cheaper to make a trip to KZoo, play a game, bus to Notre Dame, play another, then make a second trip where they fly to Notre Dame, play a game, bus to KZoo play another, then fly home, than to fly to KZoo, play two and fly home, then a separate trip to Notre Dame in the same fashion?

Again, why would Hockey East at 12 want to go beyond a 22 game schedule?

Neil Diamond
08-25-2011, 07:04 PM
My deepest condolences to Daveyd83 concerning today's news.

I knew how bad he wanted the Lakers to be left cold by the WCHA.

Neil Diamond
08-25-2011, 07:06 PM
Again, why would Hockey East at 12 want to go beyond a 22 game schedule?

Gents, as I said in the earlier post, "just playing devil's advocate". Just trying to throw a bone out there to chew on.

Had I known it would have caused such great consternation and sleepless nights, I certainly would have not created the post.

Daveyd83 is already forlorn enough over today's news...no need to upset him any more at this point.

jnacc
08-25-2011, 07:11 PM
My deepest condolences to Daveyd83 concerning today's news.

I knew how bad he wanted the Lakers to be left cold by the WCHA.

No doubt!! This has been, by far, the best news of the summer! It's everything we could have hoped for since the formation of that so called "super-league".

3dognight
08-25-2011, 08:19 PM
UAF accepts the invitation......both Alaska schools now conference rivals....Nice.
(Sorry,no link but Google News for UAF)
LSSU has formally accepted (check LSSU Athletics page), FSU by Monday.(still waters run deep)
I love it when a plan comes together!

revfnb
08-25-2011, 09:18 PM
Good write up on what took place:
http://www.lssulakers.com/sports/m-hockey/2011-12/releases/WCHA_invitation

Laker54
08-25-2011, 09:39 PM
Wow great news to hear! I'm pumped already! 36 days until the first puck is dropped!

LSSULaker889294
08-25-2011, 10:14 PM
Excellent news!

Bill
08-25-2011, 10:18 PM
Yes, but I'd still like to see UAH included

PerkyforPrez
08-25-2011, 10:23 PM
So happy for the Lakers and congrats and thanks to Dunbar for doing such a fine job.

So much for long bus rides hey Davyd

Now if UAH finds them self a conference home all will be well. I would love to have them in our new conference a trip to Alabama would be a nice break in the winter.

LSSULaker889294
08-25-2011, 10:35 PM
So happy for the Lakers and congrats and thanks to Dunbar for doing such a fine job.

So much for long bus rides hey Davyd

Now if UAH finds them self a conference home all will be well. I would love to have them in our new conference a trip to Alabama would be a nice break in the winter.

I agree. Perhaps MSU-Moorhead will add hockey and join the WCHA as well. Add UAH and you have a nice 12 team conference. I wonder if there would be divisions?

Hockey John
08-25-2011, 10:43 PM
Laker Blue,

BGSU seats 5000 people and is putting money into the building to fix it up. How is that smaller than LSSU? I don't know what to think of all the changes. The WCHA people talk like they are so much superior. If this all takes place with all 11 teams, 6 of them would be from the CCHA. I hope that our AD and coaches look at all options and do what is right for the Falcons. Also, I think that BGSU, Northern, and LSSU all bring more to a league than Western Michigan brings. I do feel sorry for UAH. Despite many comments stating otherwise, BGSU will not go under.

PerkyforPrez
08-25-2011, 10:55 PM
Laker Blue,

BGSU seats 5000 people and is putting money into the building to fix it up. How is that smaller than LSSU? I don't know what to think of all the changes. The WCHA people talk like they are so much superior. If this all takes place with all 11 teams, 6 of them would be from the CCHA. I hope that our AD and coaches look at all options and do what is right for the Falcons. Also, I think that BGSU, Northern, and LSSU all bring more to a league than Western Michigan brings. I do feel sorry for UAH. Despite many comments stating otherwise, BGSU will not go under.

I remember hearing BGSU were putting something around 4 to 6 million into the program but that was right after the rumors of them folding. I was still suprised to read that they are trying to gain entrance to the Nat so they must be in pretty good shape. Good for them i wish them the best.

FRICKER
08-25-2011, 11:42 PM
Congrats Laker Nation!!!! My only concern is that the administration is ready to add to the travel budget so the team won't have to bus to the "outposts" of the WCHA. I remeber the time the team bused to NE to play UNH & Providence and seemed
to have "bus legs" all weekend.

laker_one
08-26-2011, 01:06 AM
Great news and great job by the folks on the hill who saw this through. There is just so much to love about this whole deal.

I love that Laker Hockey now has a bright future in an excellent and stable conference.
I love that the 3 UP schools will be in the same league (along with the 2 AK schools).
I love the chance to renew the old Bemidji rivalry that the old timers still talk about.
I love that Ferris and Bowling Green got thrown a lifeline too.
I love that we won't be in a league run by Big 10 lackees anymore.
I love that we made our decision without waiting for ND to make up its precious mind. (The fact that I have 2 degrees from ND does not make their attitude any less annoying to me.)

I could probably think of more stuff to love but that will do for now. I'm a little surprised by all the folks on the other thread who somehow see this as a bad thing, like somehow this ruins college hockey's chance for lights. Probably the same morons who keep the "New D-1 teams" thread going.

Someone tell the Leprechaun that if he's the last one out of the CCHA he needs to shut off the lights.

DawgPoundCrazy
08-26-2011, 01:52 AM
Actually glad that someone offered Ferris a spot somewhere...Seemed we were getting overlooked in the whole realignment mess. And about Ferris not saying anything yet...things just tend to move a bit slower in BR. I can't see FSU turning down the chance to play with the UP Schools as opposed to having to play all the Atlantic ones.