Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Laker Hockey 2011-12

Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
    As for the OHL issue -- this is a nonstarter to me. Mike Modano went to the CHL, Doug Weight played NCAA. There has always been players who play in the CHL, and there have always been players in the NCAA. If the OHL was a factor in any decline at LSSU, it would have been an equal decline all around the NCAA.

LSSU followed Jackson with Borek (overmatched), Anzalone (past his prime), and Roque (boring hockey). What changed? Nothing. Not a darned thing. Same great building. Same facilities. Same admission requirements. Same proximity to Canada. Same school. A few more CHL teams and a few more NCAA teams -- but that doesn't matter in North Dakota or Boston College. I think the CHL argument is a soft excuse. The hard truth is that coaches MATTER a whole lot in college sports. Period.
    Blue I agree with you for the most part. This "new look CCHA" will be a sorry excuse for a legitimate D-1 conference and the current coach at the helm leaves much to be desired...and the current A.D. seems to be in over her head concerning the changes that are rocking the college hockey world.

You are, however, underestimating the impact that both the CHL and NCAA expansion have had in terms of recruitment. The CHL has become very aggressive in going after the available talent pool simply because they have to. Over the past 15 to 20 years they have added 20 teams to their respective leagues, meaning that they have had to find an extra 450 players to fill those rosters. In order to do so they had to drastically increase the scholarship packages they offered as well as go on massive facility re-builds. They now offer pro style amenities and educational packages that rival anything that the NCAA can offer, nor are they restricted and hamstrung by silly NCAA rules concerning when a player can be contacted and how much contact time there can be. This has given the CHL a distinct advantage over the NCAA, especially concerning Canadian born players.

When Frank Anzalone was laying down the ground work for the Laker glory years, his chief recruiter, Jeff Jackson, only had to worry about 38 other D-1 programs and not the 57 others that the Lakers are competing against today. Back then, Jackson easily won recruiting battles against Miami and Ohio State as those programs were underfunded and neglected by their schools. He did not have to go against U.N.O. and Notre Dame while Michigan was just a shell of what it has become today. There was no NCAA Clearing House to concern himself with and for those who simply did not have the academics to get in, well the Lakers could make them a "partial qualifier" and sneak them in through the back door.

If the same circumstances existed back in 1992 as they do today, I would bet big money that Brian Rolston would be playing for the Plymouth Whalers of the OHL, Blaine Lacher would be tending goal for the Edmonton Oil-kings of the WHL, Rob Valicevic would be under Red's guidance at Michigan and Astley would be patrolling the blue line for the U.N.O. mavericks. Mike Morrin would not have been able to get in as a partial qualifier and as a result would end up playing for the Regina Pats of the WHL. The Lakers would have been after Strachan hard, offering him the sun, the moon and the stars but would have lost him to the Minnesota Duluth Bulldogs while Vincent Faucher would have been plying his trade for the Quebec Remparts of the QMJHL.

In short, there never would have been a 92 NCAA championship team.

Comment

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
      If the same circumstances existed back in 1992 as they do today, I would bet big money that Brian Rolston would be playing for the Plymouth Whalers of the OHL, Blaine Lacher would be tending goal for the Edmonton Oil-kings of the WHL, Rob Valicevic would be under Red's guidance at Michigan and Astley would be patrolling the blue line for the U.N.O. mavericks. Mike Morrin would not have been able to get in as a partial qualifier and as a result would end up playing for the Regina Pats of the WHL. The Lakers would have been after Strachan hard, offering him the sun, the moon and the stars but would have lost him to the Minnesota Duluth Bulldogs while Vincent Faucher would have been plying his trade for the Quebec Remparts of the QMJHL.

I think that is a gross over assumption.

Players go to colleges and teams that they respect and that attract them as players. Not because of some regional allegiance. I played in Texas for a team that had almost all of it's players from Michigan, New York, or Minnesota. Players that could have played for any team they wanted to, but because of the coaching staff and the commitment to the organization, they moved at 18 years old (or whatever age they were), 1,500 miles away because it gave them the best opportunity and chance to move on. I think assuming just because a team is close by would make a player choose to play there is a major oversight. And yes, the coach had a big thing to do with it - he now is a head coach in the AHL.

Comment

I presumed that the advancement of the CHL/fall of tier II Ontario junior hockey didn’t help the cause in the Sault. The NCAA has lost some serious ground in the last 5-10 years to the CHL. The sheer number of Americans (especially those from non-traditional hockey markets) taking the CHL road, suggests this is the case. The educational packages are largely illusory at the end of the day, but I think they do figure into the rationalization process.

I also agree that a top notch coaching staff is the only way out of whatever hole the Lakers land in. The really great coaches have an amazing ability to reel in quality kids. I hope everything works out for the Lakers and they find a good home.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
          It was into this same enviroment that Frank Anzalone brought the persona of Crazy Frank. He refused to allow the small-town-mentality to limit this program. I was there. He absolutely refused. He worked 20 hour days. He hammered the students. He worked the dorm rooms. Literally went into the dorms and rallied the students to support the team. He worked every possible church, Rotary, and men's breakfast club every day, month after month, year after year. He stood strong against those in town who laughed at him, those who said (in their small-town mentality) that a school as small as LSSU can't compete in D-I sports, can't compete in hockey, can't compete nationally. Folks, that man was so darned stubborn and passionate that him and his players hit the ice every day for practice and every night for games, with a rage. Frank told them nobody believed in them -- now go out and prove those SOBs wrong.
          The Truth Is Out There....

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Squad View Post
            The Truth Is Out There....
            You missed the important part:

Frank came back, but lets be honest (and lets not beat a dead horse here), he was not the same his second time around. He was older, had a family, and his enemies were ready for him. After years of Borek losing games, fans, and local interest -- Frank had a tough job. Too many old enemies were far too happy to see Frank founder. And Frank foundered. He did not win many games. He did not reconnect the program to the town. He did not reignite student interest. He did not fight, and win, against the administration.
            Originally posted by SCSU Euro
            What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by EupNews View Post
              I think that is a gross over assumption. Players go to colleges and teams that they respect and that attract them as players. Not because of some regional allegiance. I played in Texas for a team that had almost all of it's players from Michigan, New York, or Minnesota. Players that could have played for any team they wanted to, but because of the coaching staff and the commitment to the organization, they moved at 18 years old (or whatever age they were), 1,500 miles away because it gave them the best opportunity and chance to move on. I think assuming just because a team is close by would make a player choose to play there is a major oversight. And yes, the coach had a big thing to do with it - he now is a head coach in the AHL.
              The players go places that give them opportunity not always best opportunity. Whatever they think will be in their best interests, like the coach, like the location, etc, most have no clue which team will help them the most. It's a gut feel and just how hard the kid works, the rest is left to a lot of chance, luck and randomness.

I believe you will see a contraction in this area soon.

Comment

This "new look CCHA" will be a sorry excuse for a legitimate D-1 conference
                Why? Because it will be full of teams like LSSU and Ferris?
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                  Last I checked, they're all schools still playing at a Division I level. If the mentality is that they're really just lame Division II programs, well, that's how the conference is going to be viewed. The remaining CCHA programs, and potential future CCHA members need to step up and remember that they are playing a Division I level. They are the premiere teams in the NCAA. A UW-Plattsburgh, Adrian, SUNY-Albany they are not.

LSSU hockey, without the WCHA and with the AHA teams, is still a Division I program.

As for the "Basketball" supporters out there, they do realize that the cutting of 18 scholarships for Men's Hockey could mean the cutting of say, softball. Right? I don't see adding Baseball being a popular move for guys to play in February, March, and April in the Soo. Plus, all the other sports are Division II. Again, these people need to take a step back and realize that making noise at the Division II level happens for all member schools a few times a generation (ie: MTU in Women's Final Four). None of those sports can compete with the name recognition of opponents at the Division I level though; Hockey can.

LSSU Basketball may get an exhibition invite to play at Munn once a decade in a game that doesn't mean anything but a paycheck... LSSU Hockey has the chance to be a non-conference opponent at Yost, Boston (College/University), Notre Dame, North Dakota, etc. in a game that matters on the national level.
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                    Last I checked, they're all schools still playing at a Division I level. If the mentality is that they're really just lame Division II programs, well, that's how the conference is going to be viewed. The remaining CCHA programs, and potential future CCHA members need to step up and remember that they are playing a Division I level. They are the premiere teams in the NCAA. A UW-Plattsburgh, Adrian, SUNY-Albany they are not.

LSSU hockey, without the WCHA and with the AHA teams, is still a Division I program.

As for the "Basketball" supporters out there, they do realize that the cutting of 18 scholarships for Men's Hockey could mean the cutting of say, softball. Right? I don't see adding Baseball being a popular move for guys to play in February, March, and April in the Soo. Plus, all the other sports are Division II. Again, these people need to take a step back and realize that making noise at the Division II level happens for all member schools a few times a generation (ie: MTU in Women's Final Four). None of those sports can compete with the name recognition of opponents at the Division I level though; Hockey can.

LSSU Basketball may get an exhibition invite to play at Munn once a decade in a game that doesn't mean anything but a paycheck... LSSU Hockey has the chance to be a non-conference opponent at Yost, Boston (College/University), Notre Dame, North Dakota, etc. in a game that matters on the national level.
                    Whats awrong wit da Adrian?

All kidding aside, Marketing and Branding of LSSU is what's needed here now. Last time I checked, you're supposed to cheer for the team that has your school's name on the sweater, not the other team of sweaters. And agressive marketing and rebranding along with a visable commitment to becoming the dominate team in the new look CCHA thats composed of half of current AHA schools right now. Is there any reason why LSSU can't get a few good role players and steal the occasional star within that kind of a league where it should be rather common for them to win by about 5 goals a game? Make yourself better, and the rest of the league will have to wake up and realize that the beatings will continue until they choise to get better. Thats how Adrian did it. Hell, when they started, the MCHA didn't have an autobid, and non of their teams had ever competed in the playoffs before. Just after their first year, people were screaming about how Adrian wasn't included in the D3 playoffs because they only had 3 losses, but the MCHA had such a weak SOS and Pairwise, they still couldn't get into the playoffs. Soon after that, Adrian was working the phones, about getting the league to get its act together about getting the paperwork in for an automatic bid for itself, and ended up getting Minnesota-Crookston tossed out of the league because they were a D2 school that was playing down in D3. And well, Hammer, myself, or about any other Adrian fan can tell ya, the other teams have improved since the first couple of years when the first class there was just freshmen and sophomores. Some of those other teams had guys on it that could barely skate or make a tape to tape pass on the fly. Now, they've gotten better because they realized if they didn't they was going to have their doors blown off till Adrian called off the dogs and used most of the Third period to work on their passing skills.
                    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

A lot of truth to that.

The main reason I tell people not to expect the Lakers to ever rattle off two national championships in three years, as they did in '92-'94, is because it was a 'perfect storm' scenario that will never (can never) play out again. Here what the Lakers had going for them:

Coaching: The Selman-Anzalone-Jackson trifecta was one of the best in college hockey history, for any program. Right people at the right time.

Major Junior Hockey in Canada: The CHL was still stuck in the seventies in the early-90's. They were just coming around to realizing a new era had dawned, and kids and parents liked the idea of getting a degree to fall back on if they didn't make it to the NHL (which most did not, obviously). NCAA hockey had the upper-hand on the CHL back then; not so much now, with the CHL adjusting by offering education packages to prospective players.

Hockey apathy at Ohio State, Miami, and Notre Dame: Back in the 80's and early-90's, for many players going to a program like ND or OSU meant you didn't have what it took to make an LSSU or UM. Lake State may not have been option number one for most players, but is was a close option number two if you couldn't crack a UM or MSU. LSSU attracted quality players.

Many good things came together in that time span for Laker Hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                        Don't worry, it wouldn't look any better if Northern was in it.

Something about lipstick on a pig, or something like that.

Comment

I played at North Bay for two years before coming back to the UP for college at LSSU. That was in the late 1980's, and I can promise you that I had little interest in school. At North Bay, I got to hang out (forced to go to Grade 13, which was a joke), and do nothing but play hockey. I grew up enough to realize that I was never going to the NHL (heck, I wasn't even heading to the low minors at that point), and I went to college. That was my simple story.

Comment

Looks like we have another recruited walk-on for this upcoming season:

http://www.nahl.com/news/story.cfm?id=2819

And a rumor that the WCHA has two new applicants. Maybe we are we one of them:

http://newsminer.com/bookmark/147560...ound-continues
                            Last edited by Bill; 07-20-2011, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Atlantic Hockey Arenas;
                              Mercyhurst 1200 (shared arena)
                              Canisus 1800. (shared arena)
                              Niagara. 2100.
                              RMU. 1300
                              Not much of a facility war with the current Taffy- Abel, eh?

Comment

I hope its LSSU applying to the WCHA, although I suspect the two teams are UAF and UAH.

Comment

Working...
                                X