X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Laker Hockey 2011-12

Originally posted by 3dognight View Post
    I like your style Lakerblue!
    Me too. I urge everyone to try and email AD Dunbar. Emailing Tony McClain might help too, I'm not sure about the others.
    LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Lakerblue, i wish you were large and in charge on top of the hill just a wonderfull post. Thank you i will email McClain and Dunbar for sure.

889294, I think emailing Tony McClain would be just as important if not more then just emailing Dunbar. I do agree with you about the others though.
      Last edited by PerkyforPrez; 07-17-2011, 12:54 PM.
      BLEED BLUE

Comment

I am going to email Francis Anzalone... Ask him to ask Frank To ask Truth Squad to SHUT THE HELL UP!!!! Oh yeah and then I am going to email KD and TM.
        THE TOOTH WILL SET YOU FREE
        TNA
        TNA

Comment

Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
          Laker Hocky isn't going down the tubes. But at the same time, I believe its a reflection of the leadership that these rumors are not only floating around, but that these rumors are so believeable. As an example, if there was a rumor that North Dakota was going to drop hockey, it would be laughable.

I mentioned in a previous post the importance of vision.

I would also offer as instructive the power of a coordinated e-mail campaign. This is a new, modern era. And I once again point to North Dakota as an example of a powerful e-mail campaign. This past year, the legislature in North Dakota was considering a bill to preserve the Fighting Sioux nickname for UND. Without getting into the politics and PC discussions which some persons enjoy a little too much on this board -- the bill passed overwhelmingly after a massive outpouring of e-mails from name-supporters. I mean not a few here and there, but a pounding of e-mails so numerous that (I am told) the legislature had problems with their server potentially crashing.

Do we LSSU folks have that sort of nerve and passion and, frankly, numbers?

I believe that in a small way, we do. Those who are passionate for LSSU hockey may e-mail the president, AD, and the coach. If you believe that LSSU should seek hockey security in the West, let us make our voices heard. The President and the Coach are Not reading USCHO message boards (at least I pressume they are not).

I believe that the leadership of our wonderful little school, and our amazing hockey program, need to be reminded -- reminded often, frequently, and without hesitation -- of our schools' wonderful features.

I believe that we, as the dedicated alumni, sponsors, supporters, and followers of LSSU (in general) and LSSU Hockey (specifically) want our school respected.

Respect first comes from within (Opra moment!), and the leaders of our school need to step up, stop whimpering about budget cuts and travel costs for other schools -- and start hammering the best features of LSSU. The best features of our hockey program. And the best features of our fans.

There was a time when LSSU fans were dedicated travelling fans. I know its becoming ancient history, but remember those weekends when I-75 was literally choked with LSSU fans heading to the Joe? I remember making a road trip while in college to see LSSU play BGSU, and there were well over 500 LSSU fans taking up one side of the rink in BG. That can happen again.

This is a college hockey school. A hockey city. In a hockey-first region (the UP).

I believe that 50-60 e-mails from alumni, fans, and supporters to the President, the AD, and the Coach are required at this time. We need to make sure our leaders are clear as to where we stand.

I don't want some mamby-pamby milqutoast efforts to go west, and then simply resolve LSSU to quasi-D-II status playing Robert Morris and Ferris and Mercyhurst. If we want to avoid that fate, we -- WE -- need to act now.

I haven't posted on the old message board for a long time. Part of that was, I admit, just feeling so beat down by the program, so depressed, so tied of half empty buildings, flagging student support, and slow dull hockey teams losing 2-1 to last place BGSU. I admit I have struggled with my passion for LSSU Hockey. I woke up and saw a golden chance with the conference realignment.

I saw and amazing chance to refire our program. Instead of doom, gloom, and hand wringing, I saw a chance to make people get exited for LSSU hockey again.

I also contrasted LSSU's response to those of Tech (taking on a driving leadership position in the West), to NMU (quickly moving West). And I thought to myself -- perhaps its time to see if maybe, just maybe, we fans and alumni can pull of a coup d'etat from the grass roots.

So I am putting out the call to my fellow Lakers -- if you think LSSU can do better than quasi-D-II hockey with 500 people in the stands -- speak now. NOW, I believe, is our chance to alter history.

kdunbar@lssu.edu
          jroque@lssu.edu
          tmclain@lssu.edu
          lbouvet@lssu.edu (SID)
          tchristian@lssu.edu
          dallen@lssu.edu (Asst. SID)

My advice: Be nice. Be clean. Don't have spelling errors. Be clear as to what you want. Be respectful. Lets tell the leadershi on the Hill what we want, and what we need. If they never hear from us, then they will never know.
          I couldn't agree more. I would also suggest contacting the WHCA about inviting the Lakers to join the conference.
          Go Lakers!

Comment

Laker Hocky isn't going down the tubes. But at the same time, I believe its a reflection of the leadership that these rumors are not only floating around, but that these rumors are so believeable. As an example, if there was a rumor that North Dakota was going to drop hockey, it would be laughable.

I mentioned in a previous post the importance of vision.

I would also offer as instructive the power of a coordinated e-mail campaign. This is a new, modern era. And I once again point to North Dakota as an example of a powerful e-mail campaign. This past year, the legislature in North Dakota was considering a bill to preserve the Fighting Sioux nickname for UND. Without getting into the politics and PC discussions which some persons enjoy a little too much on this board -- the bill passed overwhelmingly after a massive outpouring of e-mails from name-supporters. I mean not a few here and there, but a pounding of e-mails so numerous that (I am told) the legislature had problems with their server potentially crashing.

Do we LSSU folks have that sort of nerve and passion and, frankly, numbers?

I believe that in a small way, we do. Those who are passionate for LSSU hockey may e-mail the president, AD, and the coach. If you believe that LSSU should seek hockey security in the West, let us make our voices heard. The President and the Coach are Not reading USCHO message boards (at least I pressume they are not).

I believe that the leadership of our wonderful little school, and our amazing hockey program, need to be reminded -- reminded often, frequently, and without hesitation -- of our schools' wonderful features.

I believe that we, as the dedicated alumni, sponsors, supporters, and followers of LSSU (in general) and LSSU Hockey (specifically) want our school respected.

Respect first comes from within (Opra moment!), and the leaders of our school need to step up, stop whimpering about budget cuts and travel costs for other schools -- and start hammering the best features of LSSU. The best features of our hockey program. And the best features of our fans.

There was a time when LSSU fans were dedicated travelling fans. I know its becoming ancient history, but remember those weekends when I-75 was literally choked with LSSU fans heading to the Joe? I remember making a road trip while in college to see LSSU play BGSU, and there were well over 500 LSSU fans taking up one side of the rink in BG. That can happen again.

This is a college hockey school. A hockey city. In a hockey-first region (the UP).

I believe that 50-60 e-mails from alumni, fans, and supporters to the President, the AD, and the Coach are required at this time. We need to make sure our leaders are clear as to where we stand.

I don't want some mamby-pamby milqutoast efforts to go west, and then simply resolve LSSU to quasi-D-II status playing Robert Morris and Ferris and Mercyhurst. If we want to avoid that fate, we -- WE -- need to act now.

I haven't posted on the old message board for a long time. Part of that was, I admit, just feeling so beat down by the program, so depressed, so tied of half empty buildings, flagging student support, and slow dull hockey teams losing 2-1 to last place BGSU. I admit I have struggled with my passion for LSSU Hockey. I woke up and saw a golden chance with the conference realignment.

I saw and amazing chance to refire our program. Instead of doom, gloom, and hand wringing, I saw a chance to make people get exited for LSSU hockey again.

I also contrasted LSSU's response to those of Tech (taking on a driving leadership position in the West), to NMU (quickly moving West). And I thought to myself -- perhaps its time to see if maybe, just maybe, we fans and alumni can pull of a coup d'etat from the grass roots.

So I am putting out the call to my fellow Lakers -- if you think LSSU can do better than quasi-D-II hockey with 500 people in the stands -- speak now. NOW, I believe, is our chance to alter history.

kdunbar@lssu.edu
            jroque@lssu.edu
            tmclain@lssu.edu
            lbouvet@lssu.edu (SID)
            tchristian@lssu.edu
            dallen@lssu.edu (Asst. SID)

My advice: Be nice. Be clean. Don't have spelling errors. Be clear as to what you want. Be respectful. Lets tell the leadershi on the Hill what we want, and what we need. If they never hear from us, then they will never know.
            LAKERBLUE for PRESIDENT!!!!

Great suggestion Blue - I couldn't agree more! I'm definitely going to contact the powers that be to help our voices be heard. Thanks for the contact info Blue.

I've seen the difference that amazing Alum support does for a program (read: Ralph Englestad Arena), and although I don't expect a 100 million dollar donor to come out of the woodwork, that doesn't mean that we can't pull together the help and support that Laker hockey needs right now.

I'm going to start a facebook group to help get this idea spread in another arena as well, and I will post a link to it on here when it's up.

Spread the word. Believe in Laker Hockey.
            GO SIOUX
            GO LAKERS

NCAA Champions:
            1959 1963 1980 1982 1987 1988 1992 1994 1997 2000

Comment

Originally posted by LakerFan24 View Post
              LAKERBLUE for PRESIDENT!!!!

Great suggestion Blue - I couldn't agree more! I'm definitely going to contact the powers that be to help our voices be heard. Thanks for the contact info Blue.

I've seen the difference that amazing Alum support does for a program (read: Ralph Englestad Arena), and although I don't expect a 100 million dollar donor to come out of the woodwork, that doesn't mean that we can't pull together the help and support that Laker hockey needs right now.

I'm going to start a facebook group to help get this idea spread in another arena as well, and I will post a link to it on here when it's up.

Spread the word. Believe in Laker Hockey.
              Here's a "Save UAH Hockey" Facebook page that you could use as an example.

http://www.facebook.com/SaveUAHHockey
              LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

I went a different route on facebook, so instead of a cause, I started a group : BELIEVE in Laker Hockey. It's open, so I hope all of you on this thread will join. As 889294 pointed out, the Save UAH Hockey is on facebook, and they have over 4300 people following it. Surely we can get more people interested in Laker hockey than that! So spread the word, join the group, and BELIEVE IN LAKER HOCKEY!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/128543560567593
                GO SIOUX
                GO LAKERS

NCAA Champions:
                1959 1963 1980 1982 1987 1988 1992 1994 1997 2000

Comment

I went a different route on facebook, so instead of a cause, I started a group : BELIEVE in Laker Hockey. It's open, so I hope all of you on this thread will join. As 889294 pointed out, the Save UAH Hockey is on facebook, and they have over 4300 people following it. Surely we can get more people interested in Laker hockey than that! So spread the word, join the group, and BELIEVE IN LAKER HOCKEY!!!!

There is a LSSU Laker Hockey Facebook page already:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...#!/lakerhockey

Comment

I recommend going the way of a page instead of a group. Pages can be seen by those who don't have Facebook and offer a lot more functionality.
                    Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                    What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Its really nice to hear so many people getting excited about Laker Hockey. Really since Scott Borek's last horrible years, there has been so much negativity surrounding the program. I sincerely hope that we can all try to help refocus the college on the best features of LSSU hockey. Yes, it costs a ton of money. Yes, the travel is tough. Yes, the D-I hockey program will naturally suck the oxygen out of the lessor D-II basketball programs. I believe that much of this comes from the rotten apple core of the CCHA (I've banged that drum enough -- suffice to say I think that the CCHA is a horribly run league whose sole purpose in life was/is to get UM and MSU as much money and TV time exposure as possible, and all the other members can screw off if they don't like it). This CCHA attitude, combined with LSSU's poor results on the ice, combined with Michigan's depression, combined with the Soo's depression, have really done a good job kicking LSSU hard between the legs.

A few random thoughts I had about the CCHA, and the continuing reasons to not remain associated with that league:
                      1) Does anyone here believe that Pletch is going to actually run the CCHA the next two years? He is going to be the communications director for Big Ten Hockey and flip off the light switch in the CCHA offices when he leaves. In the meantime, his role is to make sure MSU and UM continue to enjoy the most-favored-school status, exposure, and money. And you'll note that the CCHA mavens have not said a single negative word about the Big Ten teams leaving the CCHA and destroying the league.

2) I am not convinced that Western is going anyplace, except in their own minds. That being said, the folks at Western are certainly not going to sit around and wait. its quite clear that the leadership at Western feels the same about the CCHA as I do -- and they need to get the heck away from anything CCHA-related, and fast. NMU and Western both appear to have come to the same conclusion I have: the CCHA is a corpse, which was never a good league when alive, and is a program-killer now that its dead. Does Western has better facilities, support, and tradition that LSSU? Its easier, marginally, to travel to K-zoo. But Western's stadium is a glorified high school gym. Its program is locked at No.3 behind football and basketball. Why Western? what a great campaign -- if only because it shows the administration can read a map, they know where they stand, and they know where they want to go.

3) AD Dunbar has worried me for some time, if only because of her D-II basketball background. Its an attitude very similar to those held by the anti-Laker folks in town -- who regard LSSU Hockey as an evil distraction from the true glory of small town, small school, UP high school basketball. This worries me. I think she is a very nice person, and she is highly qualified for her job. But I know and have known many of the people associated with LSSU Basketball -- and there is NO love lost between themselves and the hockey program. It is not a healthy rivalry -- it is a distinct jealous dislike. Does Ms. Dunbar share this dislike? I don't know. But she comes from the culture and mindset -- and once again I believe its deathly important for LSSU Hockey for the supporters and fans to let her know what WE want. And we have to do this be being NICE about the basketball programs. We have to tie in how success of the hockey team leads to recognition and success in all other sports. (Although, I fear, she will call this bluff -- having played for the Laker Basketball teams in the early 90's, when hockey was winning titles and the basketball team was palying on a foam rubber floor in front of 75 people).

4) I specifically included Coach Roque in my e-mails. I guess I just feel the Coach should be involved. Who knows, maybe its Jim who doesn't want to go west? I don't know anything. I am not going to leave any stone uncovered.

5) I found the SID and Asst. SID's emails. Once agian, who knows. Perhaps these people are (or their interns are) monitoring this page. Doubt it. But perhaps we find an ally on the inside. Or perhaps we uncover an enemy on the inside who can be softened or converted. SID's are funny people -- they have their finger on the pulse of everything that is happening in the AD's office, and if they are on your side they can be very helpful. I think this realiangmnet is sucha glorious chance, why not find some friends on the inside.

6) Thank you all for the kind words. I don't deserve anything. I am just a huge Laker hockey fan. My training (lawyer) gives me the "gift" (haha) of being able to passionately scream and throw fits for what I want. And I want LSSU linked with Tech and NMU -- not BGSU and Mercyhurst. No offense to those fine schools, but I have a little idea as to what side my program's bread is buttered.

Comment

The Evening News just posted what reads like an editorial about the hockey team's situation. The author implies he has talked to people at LSSU and has some inside info, but he does not quote anyone explicitly. If he knows what he is talking about, it's bad news. Here are some highlights.

On applying to the WCHA: "The WCHA has no interest in taking the CCHA's leftovers — LSSU, Ferris St. and Bowling Green.... the WCHA doesn't seem to be open to a school that isn't a good geographic fit. This will not happen."

He then describes expanding the CCHA as the option that "has to happen."

On the prospects of fans turning out for games against former AHA teams: "If the Lakers are competing against Robert Morris with a conference championship on the line, I firmly believe — and so do those at LSSU — fans will flock to the Taffy Abel to watch a competitive team..."

Comment

Its really nice to hear so many people getting excited about Laker Hockey. Really since Scott Borek's last horrible years, there has been so much negativity surrounding the program. I sincerely hope that we can all try to help refocus the college on the best features of LSSU hockey. Yes, it costs a ton of money. Yes, the travel is tough. Yes, the D-I hockey program will naturally suck the oxygen out of the lessor D-II basketball programs. I believe that much of this comes from the rotten apple core of the CCHA (I've banged that drum enough -- suffice to say I think that the CCHA is a horribly run league whose sole purpose in life was/is to get UM and MSU as much money and TV time exposure as possible, and all the other members can screw off if they don't like it). This CCHA attitude, combined with LSSU's poor results on the ice, combined with Michigan's depression, combined with the Soo's depression, have really done a good job kicking LSSU hard between the legs.

A few random thoughts I had about the CCHA, and the continuing reasons to not remain associated with that league:
                          1) Does anyone here believe that Pletch is going to actually run the CCHA the next two years? He is going to be the communications director for Big Ten Hockey and flip off the light switch in the CCHA offices when he leaves. In the meantime, his role is to make sure MSU and UM continue to enjoy the most-favored-school status, exposure, and money. And you'll note that the CCHA mavens have not said a single negative word about the Big Ten teams leaving the CCHA and destroying the league.

2) I am not convinced that Western is going anyplace, except in their own minds. That being said, the folks at Western are certainly not going to sit around and wait. its quite clear that the leadership at Western feels the same about the CCHA as I do -- and they need to get the heck away from anything CCHA-related, and fast. NMU and Western both appear to have come to the same conclusion I have: the CCHA is a corpse, which was never a good league when alive, and is a program-killer now that its dead. Does Western has better facilities, support, and tradition that LSSU? Its easier, marginally, to travel to K-zoo. But Western's stadium is a glorified high school gym. Its program is locked at No.3 behind football and basketball. Why Western? what a great campaign -- if only because it shows the administration can read a map, they know where they stand, and they know where they want to go.

3) AD Dunbar has worried me for some time, if only because of her D-II basketball background. Its an attitude very similar to those held by the anti-Laker folks in town -- who regard LSSU Hockey as an evil distraction from the true glory of small town, small school, UP high school basketball. This worries me. I think she is a very nice person, and she is highly qualified for her job. But I know and have known many of the people associated with LSSU Basketball -- and there is NO love lost between themselves and the hockey program. It is not a healthy rivalry -- it is a distinct jealous dislike. Does Ms. Dunbar share this dislike? I don't know. But she comes from the culture and mindset -- and once again I believe its deathly important for LSSU Hockey for the supporters and fans to let her know what WE want. And we have to do this be being NICE about the basketball programs. We have to tie in how success of the hockey team leads to recognition and success in all other sports. (Although, I fear, she will call this bluff -- having played for the Laker Basketball teams in the early 90's, when hockey was winning titles and the basketball team was palying on a foam rubber floor in front of 75 people).

4) I specifically included Coach Roque in my e-mails. I guess I just feel the Coach should be involved. Who knows, maybe its Jim who doesn't want to go west? I don't know anything. I am not going to leave any stone uncovered.

5) I found the SID and Asst. SID's emails. Once agian, who knows. Perhaps these people are (or their interns are) monitoring this page. Doubt it. But perhaps we find an ally on the inside. Or perhaps we uncover an enemy on the inside who can be softened or converted. SID's are funny people -- they have their finger on the pulse of everything that is happening in the AD's office, and if they are on your side they can be very helpful. I think this realiangmnet is sucha glorious chance, why not find some friends on the inside.

6) Thank you all for the kind words. I don't deserve anything. I am just a huge Laker hockey fan. My training (lawyer) gives me the "gift" (haha) of being able to passionately scream and throw fits for what I want. And I want LSSU linked with Tech and NMU -- not BGSU and Mercyhurst. No offense to those fine schools, but I have a little idea as to what side my program's bread is buttered.
                          The question is if there truly is a big LSSU-NMU rivalry. Last year the teams finally got to meet on weekends that didn't include Spring Break, Turkey Break or Semester Break. Yet in the Soo the attendance was 1996 and 2287. That was barely better than what the Lakers drew for Bowling Green. The Saturday game against Tech got 2925 on opening weekend. The NMU-LSSU series in Marquette in February got 2550 and 2572. In all four NMU-LSSU meetings, the attendance was well below the season averages for both teams.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Pletsch told the MQT Mining Journal that he feels NMU's move makes sense and that they belong in the WCHA.

That's about all you need to know regarding his desire to hold the CCHA together.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                              The question is if there truly is a big LSSU-NMU rivalry.
                              Of course there is. The Soo and Marquette have had a hockey rivalry for decades, and it is at every level, from squirt house up to college. Both teams have struggled attendance-wise, and the reason is pretty obvious: one of the worst recessions since the Great Depression, in an area (U.P.) that naturally and normally struggles a bit more than the rest of the state economically.

You know how they say when the U.S. sneezes Canada catches a cold? Well, when Detroit and Grand rapids sneeze, the U.P. goes into a coma. There simply is much less expendable income at this point and time. A $5 pizza and $4 movie is keeping families entertained in this economic climate, because $9 is the preferential option for many families over $40 for tickets and $15 for food and drinks at the arena.

Comment

Originally posted by laker_one View Post
                                The Evening News just posted what reads like an editorial about the hockey team's situation. The author implies he has talked to people at LSSU and has some inside info, but he does not quote anyone explicitly. If he knows what he is talking about, it's bad news. Here are some highlights.

On applying to the WCHA: "The WCHA has no interest in taking the CCHA's leftovers — LSSU, Ferris St. and Bowling Green.... the WCHA doesn't seem to be open to a school that isn't a good geographic fit. This will not happen."

He then describes expanding the CCHA as the option that "has to happen."

On the prospects of fans turning out for games against former AHA teams: "If the Lakers are competing against Robert Morris with a conference championship on the line, I firmly believe — and so do those at LSSU — fans will flock to the Taffy Abel to watch a competitive team..."
                                It's from Peter Pietrangelo, he's a basketball person who moonlights as a hockey person to get a few extra bucks.

His analyses may or may not be correct; but don't feel he has any inside info from anyone of importance. His article is all conjecture, which is where pretty much all of us are at this point.

Comment

Working...
                                X