Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Laker Hockey 2011-12

Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post
    How far is the bus ride from Northern to Msum ?
    9 hours.
    Originally posted by SCSU Euro
    What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
      The road to the WCHA may have just gotten a bit tougher for LSSU. Minnesota State-Moorhead announced plans today to start a D-I hockey program. They have to secure the remainder of an endowment. They did not set a date to begin skating. They did say that they could afford "the best coach money can buy." They also did not specify which league they would seek entry into and that Moorhead AD Doug Peters had not spoken with Bruce McLeod. He did have conversations with the other Minnesota D-I hockey schools.

http://www.msumdragons.com/news/2011...715115020.aspx
      $22 million is a lot of money to raise yet. But then I guess it only takes one (or a few) people with deep pockets.

Comment

MS-Moorhead has been thinking about this for quite a while and had been interested in the WCHA in the past.
        Probably even more now that the "BIG BOYS" have moved to NHC.

Fargo- Moorhead is a decent sized market and has a lot of Hockey played in the area.
        Always happy to see D-1 hockey grow. I have seen a couple of articles on how this stratification of teams could allow new schools to consider moving into mid sized conferences.
        I hope this is a trend starting.

Comment

Originally posted by laker_one View Post
          I just noticed this, so in case anyone missed it: AD Dunbar spoke to the LSSU Board about the hockey situation. EUP News article. She is not very specific, but - trying to read between the lines again - it sounds like they are talking to people outside the CCHA, which could only be the WCHA. The Evening News finally has some stories about this posted. They use the same quote from her in all three, where she basically says that the CCHA is interested in expansion, but "But every school needs to do what is in their best interest."
          She made it (CCHA) sound rosier than it is. "Speculation" that Notre Dame (and WMU) will move to another conference. At least in Notre Dame's case, I think it will be a major surprise to everyone if they don't. Even in WMU's case, I think it's more than speculation. Only the loss of Blashill gives rise to the slight possibility of them staying with the CCHA.

Comment

WCHA cancels their scheduled press conference today....BUT College Hockey News has an article that says NMU will be approved for admission next week as released in a WCHA league statement today. That gives them six teams and the ability to sit back and look at others (UAA, LSSU, MN-Moorhead) at their leisure. I suspect August when ND / WMU are expected to announce. It leaves the window open for the Lakers a bit longer.

Now confirmed on WCHA site "the five teams are supportive of NMUs application" "it will be approved next week".
            Now confirmed on USCHO page

(sorry no links...I am on the road with the iPad)
            Last edited by 3dognight; 07-15-2011, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mogerfan View Post
              This forum is so much more fun when you take the time to join us, Lakerblue.

I'm with you Mogerfan, I might change my screen name out of respect. Not sure there should be 2 Laker Blues and I cant match his posts.

Comment

Frank Frank is a Tank
                We have only him to thank
                Truth it is
                Truth it's NOT
                I am sick of TS's SNOT!
                THE TOOTH WILL SET YOU FREE
                TNA
                TNA

Comment

You Peepel may not realize this but the reeson the Son rose today in the Sou is cause Frank Anazelonie use to live their...
                  THE TOOTH WILL SET YOU FREE
                  TNA
                  TNA

Comment

Originally posted by 3dognight View Post
                    WCHA cancels their scheduled press conference today....BUT College Hockey News has an article that says NMU will be approved for admission next week as released in a WCHA league statement today. That gives them six teams and the ability to sit back and look at others (UAA, LSSU, MN-Moorhead) at their leisure. I suspect August when ND / WMU are expected to announce. It leaves the window open for the Lakers a bit longer.

Now confirmed on WCHA site "the five teams are supportive of NMUs application" "it will be approved next week".
                    Now confirmed on USCHO page

(sorry no links...I am on the road with the iPad)
                    There was no press conference scheduled for today. Only a meeting of the five remaining members.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I figured you fine folks would know best, so I'll ask ya! I heard from a buddy who has a buddy that is pretty well connected in the hockey world...blah blah blah....you know how it goes. He said that he heard that LSSU is looking at or has recently talked about not competing at the DI level or suspending hockey operates due to financial concerns. I hope that isn't so!! What is the scoop? Set me straight! Thanks!
                      All that was left, then, was for the Nanooks to celebrate with their fans. And for the Seawolves to get one last earful of the rowdies from Fairbanks.

"I've got a lot of expletives I'd like to use,'' Fournier said, slumped in his locker room stall. "It's very embarrassing when you're playing on your home ice and they have more fans and they're louder.

"We might as well have played the games in Fairbanks.''

Comment

Originally posted by 3dognight View Post
                        Now confirmed on USCHO page (sorry no links...I am on the road with the iPad)
                        They still have to deal with how it will be voted on. The bylaws allow everyone to vote even though some teams will have no future in the WCHA. So technically some of the teams could vote no and harm the future of the league.

Maybe this will not be an issue with NMU but say MSUM in a year or two (depending on official date) is ready and the WCHA wants to give an invite to them. The NaCHo group of teams could say no and hold off to ask them into their group.

Comment

Originally posted by Rms123 View Post
                          I figured you fine folks would know best, so I'll ask ya! I heard from a buddy who has a buddy that is pretty well connected in the hockey world...blah blah blah....you know how it goes. He said that he heard that LSSU is looking at or has recently talked about not competing at the DI level or suspending hockey operates due to financial concerns. I hope that isn't so!! What is the scoop? Set me straight! Thanks!

The AD has tried to stay possitive when i heard her speak and what i have read her quoted at saying in the paper. She announced at the golf outing last week that the President is not cutting the budget for any of the sports programs. As a long time fan this is without a doubt the low point for the hockey program and if she can't find a workable conference home for us it may be the beginning of the end.
                          So to answer your question no i have not heard that and i hope there is nothing to it.
                          BLEED BLUE

Comment

Laker Hocky isn't going down the tubes. But at the same time, I believe its a reflection of the leadership that these rumors are not only floating around, but that these rumors are so believeable. As an example, if there was a rumor that North Dakota was going to drop hockey, it would be laughable.

I mentioned in a previous post the importance of vision.

I would also offer as instructive the power of a coordinated e-mail campaign. This is a new, modern era. And I once again point to North Dakota as an example of a powerful e-mail campaign. This past year, the legislature in North Dakota was considering a bill to preserve the Fighting Sioux nickname for UND. Without getting into the politics and PC discussions which some persons enjoy a little too much on this board -- the bill passed overwhelmingly after a massive outpouring of e-mails from name-supporters. I mean not a few here and there, but a pounding of e-mails so numerous that (I am told) the legislature had problems with their server potentially crashing.

Do we LSSU folks have that sort of nerve and passion and, frankly, numbers?

I believe that in a small way, we do. Those who are passionate for LSSU hockey may e-mail the president, AD, and the coach. If you believe that LSSU should seek hockey security in the West, let us make our voices heard. The President and the Coach are Not reading USCHO message boards (at least I pressume they are not).

I believe that the leadership of our wonderful little school, and our amazing hockey program, need to be reminded -- reminded often, frequently, and without hesitation -- of our schools' wonderful features.

I believe that we, as the dedicated alumni, sponsors, supporters, and followers of LSSU (in general) and LSSU Hockey (specifically) want our school respected.

Respect first comes from within (Opra moment!), and the leaders of our school need to step up, stop whimpering about budget cuts and travel costs for other schools -- and start hammering the best features of LSSU. The best features of our hockey program. And the best features of our fans.

There was a time when LSSU fans were dedicated travelling fans. I know its becoming ancient history, but remember those weekends when I-75 was literally choked with LSSU fans heading to the Joe? I remember making a road trip while in college to see LSSU play BGSU, and there were well over 500 LSSU fans taking up one side of the rink in BG. That can happen again.

This is a college hockey school. A hockey city. In a hockey-first region (the UP).

I believe that 50-60 e-mails from alumni, fans, and supporters to the President, the AD, and the Coach are required at this time. We need to make sure our leaders are clear as to where we stand.

I don't want some mamby-pamby milqutoast efforts to go west, and then simply resolve LSSU to quasi-D-II status playing Robert Morris and Ferris and Mercyhurst. If we want to avoid that fate, we -- WE -- need to act now.

I haven't posted on the old message board for a long time. Part of that was, I admit, just feeling so beat down by the program, so depressed, so tied of half empty buildings, flagging student support, and slow dull hockey teams losing 2-1 to last place BGSU. I admit I have struggled with my passion for LSSU Hockey. I woke up and saw a golden chance with the conference realignment.

I saw and amazing chance to refire our program. Instead of doom, gloom, and hand wringing, I saw a chance to make people get exited for LSSU hockey again.

I also contrasted LSSU's response to those of Tech (taking on a driving leadership position in the West), to NMU (quickly moving West). And I thought to myself -- perhaps its time to see if maybe, just maybe, we fans and alumni can pull of a coup d'etat from the grass roots.

So I am putting out the call to my fellow Lakers -- if you think LSSU can do better than quasi-D-II hockey with 500 people in the stands -- speak now. NOW, I believe, is our chance to alter history.

kdunbar@lssu.edu
                            jroque@lssu.edu
                            tmclain@lssu.edu
                            lbouvet@lssu.edu (SID)
                            tchristian@lssu.edu
                            dallen@lssu.edu (Asst. SID)

My advice: Be nice. Be clean. Don't have spelling errors. Be clear as to what you want. Be respectful. Lets tell the leadershi on the Hill what we want, and what we need. If they never hear from us, then they will never know.
                            Last edited by Lakerblue; 07-16-2011, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
                              Laker Hocky isn't going down the tubes. But at the same time, I believe its a reflection of the leadership that these rumors are not only floating around, but that these rumors are so believeable. As an example, if there was a rumor that North Dakota was going to drop hockey, it would be laughable.

I mentioned in a previous post the importance of vision.

I would also offer as instructive the power of a coordinated e-mail campaign. This is a new, modern era. And I once again point to North Dakota as an example of a powerful e-mail campaign. This past year, the legislature in North Dakota was considering a bill to preserve the Fighting Sioux nickname for UND. Without getting into the politics and PC discussions which some persons enjoy a little too much on this board -- the bill passed overwhelmingly after a massive outpouring of e-mails from name-supporters. I mean not a few here and there, but a pounding of e-mails so numerous that (I am told) the legislature had problems with their server potentially crashing.

Do we LSSU folks have that sort of nerve and passion and, frankly, numbers?

I believe that in a small way, we do. Those who are passionate for LSSU hockey may e-mail the president, AD, and the coach. If you believe that LSSU should seek hockey security in the West, let us make our voices heard. The President and the Coach are Not reading USCHO message boards (at least I pressume they are not).

I believe that the leadership of our wonderful little school, and our amazing hockey program, need to be reminded -- reminded often, frequently, and without hesitation -- of our schools' wonderful features.

I believe that we, as the dedicated alumni, sponsors, supporters, and followers of LSSU (in general) and LSSU Hockey (specifically) want our school respected.

Respect first comes from within (Opra moment!), and the leaders of our school need to step up, stop whimpering about budget cuts and travel costs for other schools -- and start hammering the best features of LSSU. The best features of our hockey program. And the best features of our fans.

There was a time when LSSU fans were dedicated travelling fans. I know its becoming ancient history, but remember those weekends when I-75 was literally choked with LSSU fans heading to the Joe? I remember making a road trip while in college to see LSSU play BGSU, and there were well over 500 LSSU fans taking up one side of the rink in BG. That can happen again.

This is a college hockey school. A hockey city. In a hockey-first region (the UP).

I believe that 50-60 e-mails from alumni, fans, and supporters to the President, the AD, and the Coach are required at this time. We need to make sure our leaders are clear as to where we stand.

I don't want some mamby-pamby milqutoast efforts to go west, and then simply resolve LSSU to quasi-D-II status playing Robert Morris and Ferris and Mercyhurst. If we want to avoid that fate, we -- WE -- need to act now.

I haven't posted on the old message board for a long time. Part of that was, I admit, just feeling so beat down by the program, so depressed, so tied of half empty buildings, flagging student support, and slow dull hockey teams losing 2-1 to last place BGSU. I admit I have struggled with my passion for LSSU Hockey. I woke up and saw a golden chance with the conference realignment.

I saw and amazing chance to refire our program. Instead of doom, gloom, and hand wringing, I saw a chance to make people get exited for LSSU hockey again.

I also contrasted LSSU's response to those of Tech (taking on a driving leadership position in the West), to NMU (quickly moving West). And I thought to myself -- perhaps its time to see if maybe, just maybe, we fans and alumni can pull of a coup d'etat from the grass roots.

So I am putting out the call to my fellow Lakers -- if you think LSSU can do better than quasi-D-II hockey with 500 people in the stands -- speak now. NOW, I believe, is our chance to alter history.

kdunbar@lssu.edu
                              jroque@lssu.edu
                              tmclain@lssu.edu
                              lbouvet@lssu.edu (SID)
                              tchristian@lssu.edu
                              dallen@lssu.edu (Asst. SID)

My advice: Be nice. Be clean. Don't have spelling errors. Be clear as to what you want. Be respectful. Lets tell the leadershi on the Hill what we want, and what we need. If they never hear from us, then they will never know.
                              That's one of the best posts I've seen on these boards in a long time! Get out there and sell your ideas and passion for Laker hockey. Not only to the administration, but to the community as well!
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I like your style Lakerblue!

Comment

Working...
                                X