LSSU Laker Hockey 2011-12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Laker Hockey 2011-12

I believe the University and the Athletics Department have simply done a terrible job promoting the school and the program. I mean just a really, really poor job.

The institutional rot within the CCHA offices was allowed to fester for too many years, and LSSU's leadership did not feel obliged, or interested, in addressing or correcting the perception that LSSU and the other GLIAC D-I Hockey schools were nothing more than a drain on the CCHA's coffers.

Say what you will about Frank, but at least in the 1980's Frank had a real vision for the hockey program -- and he sold that vision to the school, the town, the students, and the players. In those days, he was a single-minded man on a mission. Did he alientate some "power brokers" in the Soo? Oh yeah -- and he didn't care. He was not going to appease the "high school basketball" zealots who dislike hockey at any level, and were particularly resentful of COLLEGE hockey, played by non-Soo kids. Jeff Jackson took this to another level, spreading this vision outward from the UP to the rest of the college hockey world. And he worked hard, I promise you, hammering the administration and the students into supporting this program.

I don't want this to be a "slam the coach" matter, so I am not going to drop LSSU's current poor situation on Jim Roques lap. The administration on the Hill has been horrible in promoting the school, or taking action to promote the hockey program -- as the school's flagship team and the school's best and (really) only athletics-based major recruiting tool. The hockey staff have been far too willing to cede higher ground to NMU and CCHA offices.

Western has horse-dung facilities compared to LSSU. But they are putting together promotional web pages.

NMU is attacking the WCHA, attempting to sell themselves as best they can. LSSU doesn't appear to have even held a meeting to discuss any future plans. "Lets just sit back and play Robert Morris?" really?

Tech wears its pride on its sleeve. It hasn't had more than a handful of winning seasons in the past 25 years. They don't care. The leadership at Tech KNOW where they stand in college hockey -- they have a great stadium, tradition, funding, support, and facilities. Tech is presently placing itself at the forefront of the WCHA.

LSSU has a great tradition, an amazing building, excellent facilities, dedicated alumni, (the best uniforms in college hockey this side of the Fighting Sioux). Its absurd to me that the coach and the administration are not screaming at the top of their lungs about the quality of this program. Why is LSSU not asserting a leadership position? Why would LSSU try to cut a deal with Ferris and BGSU when they could be arguing their own merits and their own quality?

Why should LSSU have to go hat-in-hand to freaking Mankato or SCSU? What have those programs ever achieved?

Why is LSSU not pushing for a sit-down with NMU, Tech, and the Alaska schools and forcing the college hockey universe to revolve around them? Why is LSSU so willing to accept to middling Minnesota school's opnions? Why is LSSU seeking to retreat to quasi-D-II status with AHA schools?
    Last edited by Lakerblue; 07-15-2011, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Thank you EupNews for the scoop. I hope the article is right and we will have it all worked out in the next 30 days.
      BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
        NMU probably draws more from Harvey than LSSU draws from the Canadian Soo.
        They had about 500 people on the televised Friday playoff game against Ohio State and from what I have been told maybe about 200 more the next night. That is people in the seats, not the official attendance figure. I believe there might have been pictures posted showing the 3500 empty seats.

The Truth Is Out There....
        Last edited by Truth Squad; 07-15-2011, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Northern didn't have very many more announced then we did. I was at the Lakers games and that false picture that you posted of some empty stands that you tried to say was the Taffy takes away any chance that you will be taken seriouse on this site ever again. So go ahead and gloat it falls on deaf ears you clown.
          Last edited by PerkyforPrez; 07-15-2011, 11:43 AM.
          BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post
            Northern didn't have very many more announced then we did. I was at the Lakers games and that false picture that you posted of some empty stands that you tried to say was the Taffy takes away any chance that you will be taken seriouse on this site again. So go ahaid and gloat it falls on deaf ears you clown.
            He was taken seriously???

The NMU playoff attendance was brutal. 1200, 1400 and 1000 announced.
            Last edited by davyd83; 07-15-2011, 11:44 AM.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Once or twice before he seemed to have had a breakdown. It was a few years ago though.

Spring break and the Eagles playoff hurt our attendance but it was still a shame on our fans.
              BLEED BLUE

Comment

LakerBlue.....LSSU is one of the schools in the CCHA who could not move forward and voted against many initiatives based on budget concerns.
                The Lakers have tradition but have not done much In the last decade except hang out on the lower 1/3 of the conference for most of it..
                The facilities are marginal and need the Project to update team areas and update some ancillary areas.( the sauna doesn't work and the ceiling leaks in the coaches office if a coke is spilt in the stands, as examples) HVAC is poor and storage/ laundry is just bad)
                The Lakers budget has been last in the CCHA for several years and their coaching salaries will not support or attract top level folks.
                The dedicated alumni have the lowest contribution rate of any CCHA school (per foundation info) There are guys on the Hall of Fame wall that have never given a dime.
                These are the sins that are making them less attractive than some other schools.......

We now have a bricks and mortar project, a commitment to a budget level which is mid range in the current CCHA, and services equal to what the "big boys" provide.
                We need to talk about that future with the W and make a **** good case. I want to see the Lakers move into what will be a competitive, exciting conference.

There are budget commitments required by the WCHA / NHC to assure members maintain a competitive profile.
                That may be an issue moving forward, as the new budget boost may be eaten up by travel costs, etc.

SO......years of compromise have reduced the Laker "brand" and value to a new league. We are slowly turning the corner into respectability.
                Timing is everything.......I hope the Lakers can make their case and avoid hockey purgatory, which the CCHA appear headed towards.
                Last edited by 3dognight; 07-15-2011, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post

Spring break and the Eagles playoff hurt our attendance
                  I don't know what or who the hell the Eagles are, but you people up there will make every excuse for this team and this coach. Was there also a full moon, a circus and Dancing With the Stars that kept almost 7000 seats empty over two days for playoff games against a Big 10 school? Blame someone else you people up there never ever change.

Comment

• Originally posted by Truth Squad View Post
                    I don't know what or who the hell the Eagles are, but you people up there will make every excuse for this team and this coach. Was there also a full moon, a circus and Dancing With the Stars that kept almost 7000 seats empty over two days for playoff games against a Big 10 school? Blame someone else you people up there never ever change.

Has Frank found work since the Mallards "looked elsewhere?" In the face of tumbling attendance in the Quad Cities they made their call.
                    Tag in and keep us informed if and when he returns to hockey, or any employment and don't worry about one of his Ahem, many coaching stops.

Comment

Originally posted by 3dognight View Post
                      Has Frank found work since the Mallards "looked elsewhere?" In the face of tumbling attendance in the Quad Cities they made their call.
                      Tag in and keep us informed if and when he returns to hockey, or any employment and don't worry about one of his Ahem, many coaching stops.
                      3dognight why do you constantly ridicule Frank Anzalone and have such vitriol for the man?

I understand your and your "anonymous" donor friends frustration in the current losing climate, potential conference mates Bentley and Mercyhurst, and being in a position to defend this administration at all costs. It must be very hard but you and the few in your inner circle have done a good job, at least on here. But it is getting tiring and old your constant snide comments about the man and trying to deflect attention from reality.

Last edited by Truth Squad; 07-15-2011, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Truth...I only respond to your appearances on the board singing the same tune. The truth remains "out there".

Frank is ancient history in the Soo.
                        He did a nice job in go round #1.....I actually like seeing a tough hard nosed team on the ice.

But this was not the only placed he was "canned". Do you have a list of boards you haunt? Nice life.
                        As In the last discussion I choose not to put out the "dirty laundry" from the Chiefs and Mallards stops...so just go away and avoid the embarrassment.
                        Last edited by 3dognight; 07-15-2011, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Squad View Post
                          3dognight why do you constantly ridicule Frank Anzalone and have such vitriol for the man?

I understand your and your "anonymous" donor friends frustration in the current losing climate, potential conference mates Bentley and Mercyhurst, and being in a position to defend this administration at all costs. It must be very hard but you and the few in your inner circle have done a good job, at least on here. But it is getting tiring and old your constant snide comments about the man and trying to deflect attention from reality.

Frank is truly a great man and coach. Newmarket: fired after one year. Nashville: fired during first season. Lowell: fired after one year. PeeDee: fired 13 games into second season. Johnstown: 2 yrs, team sold and moved, services not retained. Quad City: 2 yrs, team sold sevices not retained. The Truth is Right There...
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

The road to the WCHA may have just gotten a bit tougher for LSSU. Minnesota State-Moorhead announced plans today to start a D-I hockey program. They have to secure the remainder of an endowment. They did not set a date to begin skating. They did say that they could afford "the best coach money can buy." They also did not specify which league they would seek entry into and that Moorhead AD Doug Peters had not spoken with Bruce McLeod. He did have conversations with the other Minnesota D-I hockey schools.

http://www.msumdragons.com/news/2011...715115020.aspx
                            Last edited by davyd83; 07-15-2011, 01:56 PM.

Comment

I just noticed this, so in case anyone missed it: AD Dunbar spoke to the LSSU Board about the hockey situation. EUP News article. She is not very specific, but - trying to read between the lines again - it sounds like they are talking to people outside the CCHA, which could only be the WCHA. The Evening News finally has some stories about this posted. They use the same quote from her in all three, where she basically says that the CCHA is interested in expansion, but "But every school needs to do what is in their best interest."
                              Last edited by laker_one; 07-15-2011, 02:21 PM.

Comment

How far is the bus ride from Northern to Msum ?
                                BLEED BLUE

Comment

Working...
                                X