Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Laker Hockey 2011-12

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
    That is alarming. Really makes me angry that the Evening news is neglecting this issue.
    The Evening News has been totally lame on the issue. I think there have been two generic articles about the conference changes, all with the byline "staff report," with only brief mention of the LSSU situation, and a non informative sentence fragment quote from Mrs. Dunbar. For crissakes show a little initiative and arrange a couple of interviews with meaningful questions asked. I agree interest in Laker hockey is not universal in the Sault, but something on the front page other than some kid jamming a hotdog in his mouth, or grown men dressed as women, complete with fake breasts, driving garden tractors in a parade, would be a welcome change. Just so no one takes offence, the kid in question is not even a local resident. The picture is yet another generic piece of purchased media. Strangely, I'm attracted to the men.

Comment

[QUOTE=Neil Diamond;5172449]1) The Fairbanks situation is untenable over the long haul. No program can afford both its travel costs, plus pick up the tab of other teams' travel costs, and survive.

Correct. Even though Alaska is awash in oil money, UAF representatives try regularly to negotiate their way out of this committment. I'd imagine this conference reallignment will be seen by them as another opportunity for changing this arrangement.

Comment

Has anyone been trying to email or talk to Kris Dunbar?

Anyways here are the distances in hours from the Sault to the teams listed below according to MapQuest.
        New CCHA:
        Ferris State- 4 hours
        Bowling Green- 6.25 hours
        Mercyhurst-9.5 hours
        Niagra- 9.75 hours
        Robert Morris- 9.25 hours
        Canisus- 10 hours
        Alabama Huntsville- 14.5 hours

New WCHA:
        NMU- 3.25 hours
        Tech- 5.25 hours
        Bemidji- 11 hours
        St. Cloud- 10.75 hours
        Minnesota State- 11.25 hours

Either way, there will be long bus trips. The WCHA would be better for traveling but not by too much.
        LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Of course UAF would prefer to pay less, who wouldn't? But there's a bit of a difference between trying to negotiate a better deal for yourself, and being unable to sustain that "long term," whatever that means.

Comment

Sent AD Dunbar an email stating my opinion and concerns. Hopefully it wasn't a waste of my time.

Comment

Minnesota State University Moorhead is considering adding DI hockey. This might really damage our chances of getting into the WCHA if it happens...

http://www.kfgo.com/sports-news.php?ID=12634

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                That is alarming. Really makes me angry that the Evening news is neglecting this issue.
                follow it online at http://www.eupnews.com - we will cover anything we can and already have posted a few editorials on the subject.

http://eupnews.com/2011/07/nmu-to-jo...ha-in-2013-14/
                http://eupnews.com/2011/07/deep-thou...ockey-edition/

EupNews always trys to have new hockey news - summer in/out.

Take care!

Comment

Originally posted by AKJD View Post
                  Of course UAF would prefer to pay less, who wouldn't? But there's a bit of a difference between trying to negotiate a better deal for yourself, and being unable to sustain that "long term," whatever that means.
                  "Long term" means over a long time.

I think you learn that by the 300-level classes. Maybe 200-level.

Comment

LSSU Board meeting today, hockey not to be on agenda (according to what's been published). Scott will be there anyways for any news.

http://eupnews.com/2011/07/lssu-boar...riday-morning/

Comment

Originally posted by EupNews View Post
                      LSSU Board meeting today, hockey not to be on agenda (according to what's been published). Scott will be there anyways for any news.

http://eupnews.com/2011/07/lssu-boar...riday-morning/
                      It should be on the agenda. Dunbar should be there to discuss what is proactively being done to get LSSU into the WCHA. The WCHA schools ultimately will decide whether we get in, but the AD needs to be taking steps to try and make that happen.

Comment

Originally posted by DB Cooper View Post
                        Three reasons:

Wait, I've got another - the giant Taffy Abel cookies.

Actually, I think the arena itself is a nice asset. The tradition, however distant and fading, is still an asset. I have been pleasantly suprised in my travels, at the recognition and respect of the Laker brand.

I like some of the other posts as well.

I like WMU. I used to live in Kzoo. However, I am not convinced they enjoy the semi elite status some would like to give them. They caught lightning in a bottle for one year, and unfortunately for them, and college hockey, Blashill is gone. I have heard there is a "committment" to success by the administration. Really? Give me numbers. They did come up with money to try to keep Blashill, but where are they now? The arena is soviet style and they don't draw well. Their web site smacks of desperation.

I think Alaska has a first rate coach. I have heard they have a dedicated fan base, but I don't think the attendance numbers support that.

I don't think any of the three teams enjoy a strong advantage for WCHA admission. Time for bribes.
                        Last Year's Attendance: Alaska Fairbanks 3069, LSSU 2314
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Diamond View Post
                          (1) Fairbanks has been doing it since it joined the CCHA. It hasn't been a problem yet. Why would it be now?

Because I said it is not viable long-term, Now is not "long-term"

Don't the last 18 years qualify as "long term?"

(2) That distance to Alaska is alot when going to Anchorage from the Minnesota schools, but when only flying to Anchorage, it's no worse than the bus trip from St Cloud to Michigan Tech. I've made enough of those trips. From NMU they are usually leave on Wednesday, back Sunday, even with a Green Bay bus trip included.

Which is still longer than going to LSSU

The trip to Alaska is longer for Tech and NMU, but not necessarily for the Minnesota schools. And you don't get two exempt games for going to the Soo.

If the Soo is the best hockey market, why do they only average less than 80 % of what NMU does and are only up about 10 % over Tech, despite the much larger market than both? Likely because the Canadian Soo really couldn't care less about college hockey. Not many Canadians are crossing the bridge to watch the Lakers unless they have family in the game. And that is unlikely to change.

Geez, for a "devil's advocate", you sure get heated. If I didn't know better, I'd say you're more an NMU fan looking to rub crap in our face than a "devil's advocate". But that wouldn't be nice of me.

The Canadian Soo will follow college hockey if there is a winning program. That much was proven in the past. Just because they aren't following it today in the numbers they did in the past does not mean it's a market to be written off.

Heated? Not at all. I would love to see LSSU in the WCHA. Would love the 3 way UP rivalry. However, these are some of the arguments that LSSU has to overcome if it looks toward the WCHA. However, what I would like to see and what I do see and hear are two very different things. Rub crap in the face? Not a chance. I've been through situations where a franchise was in danger of shutting down. Seen them from being on the side of the team that was in danger and watched it as friends went through it with other teams. It's not pleasant at all. In my opinion, it would be a horrible thing if LSSU were unable to sustain D-I hockey. In my perfect hockey world, we'd combine the early 80's when Tech and NMU played in the same Frozen Four, and the mid 90s when the trophy spent alot of time in the UP, 3 times in the Soo and once in Marquette.

Sorry, you lose this one. Lake State can draw from Soo, Ontario. NMU can draw from...Harvey.
                          NMU probably draws more from Harvey than LSSU draws from the Canadian Soo.
                          Last edited by davyd83; 07-15-2011, 08:42 AM.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Thanks for the possitive vibes Dave, they mean so much at times like these.
                            BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by EupNews View Post
                              follow it online at http://www.eupnews.com - we will cover anything we can and already have posted a few editorials on the subject.

http://eupnews.com/2011/07/nmu-to-jo...ha-in-2013-14/
                              http://eupnews.com/2011/07/deep-thou...ockey-edition/

EupNews always trys to have new hockey news - summer in/out.

Take care!
                              Thanks for the link

Scott Nason is good on the radio and in print. He has a natural enthusiasm, and isn't afraid to take a chance. I'd like to see him get an interview with Mrs. Dunbar regarding the current LSSU strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                                NMU probably draws more from Harvey than LSSU draws from the Canadian Soo.
                                Well the CA Soo has their own teams to watch and Harvey not so much.

Comment

Working...
                                X