X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Laker Hockey 2011-12

Originally posted by laker_one View Post
    DB,

(I can't believe the Soo paper - at least online - has not even mentioned the situation.) .
    That is alarming. Really makes me angry that the Evening news is neglecting this issue.
    LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
      That is alarming. Really makes me angry that the Evening news is neglecting this issue.
      Just for comparison, at the NMU Board of Control meeting this morning, there were two radio groups, two newspapers and 2 TV stations represented to cover the vote on the WCHA application.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by DB Cooper View Post
        I'm curious about a number of theories that have been posted as though they are fact. To paraphrase

1) The remaining WCHA schools have no interest in LSSU
        2) The current athletic department leaders are doing nothing proactive regarding conference affiliation
        3) There has been no communication with the remaining WCHA schools regarding affiliation
        4) Rich Metro left because Laker future prospects were so bleak
        5) Jim Roque officially applied for the Clarkson job, and if he did it was because Laker future prospects are so bleak
        6) The Lakers will be good enough in the future to position themselves for a championship game against Suomi or Bentley

I'm all for histrionics and I realize an internet chat site has little to do with logic or fact. Most of my sweeping generalizations have little basis in reality. If anyone has any confirmable information, please share.
        Gladly, but not on here.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
          Just for comparison, at the NMU Board of Control meeting this morning, there were two radio groups, two newspapers and 2 TV stations represented to cover the vote on the WCHA application.
          Never has there been a bigger turn out for a vote on a tuition increase...
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by DB Cooper View Post
            I'm curious about a number of theories that have been posted as though they are fact. To paraphrase

1) The remaining WCHA schools have no interest in LSSU
            2) The current athletic department leaders are doing nothing proactive regarding conference affiliation
            3) There has been no communication with the remaining WCHA schools regarding affiliation
            4) Rich Metro left because Laker future prospects were so bleak
            5) Jim Roque officially applied for the Clarkson job, and if he did it was because Laker future prospects are so bleak
            6) The Lakers will be good enough in the future to position themselves for a championship game against Suomi or Bentley

I'm all for histrionics and I realize an internet chat site has little to do with logic or fact. Most of my sweeping generalizations have little basis in reality. If anyone has any confirmable information, please share.
            1) I've heard from a couple of places that the MN schools aren't all that interested in LSSU joining the WCHA. One was davyd83 here on the forum, and davyd83 seems to be a pretty knowledgeable guy. Whether he was just expressing his opinion or he heard something to that effect I don't know. The other place I heard it was from someone who normally doesn't post on this forum. I think MTU and NMU would support LSSU as a WCHA applicant. The Alaska schools may not care one way or another.

2) and 3) Don't know. Reportedly the remaining CCHA ADs have talked and would like to meet with their WCHA counterparts. I don't know whether Kris Dunbar has talked directly to anyone in the WCHA as of yet.

4) Although I don't know for a fact what Rich Metro's motivation for leaving was, I tend to think it was not for the reason stated here.

5) Jim Roque reportedly applied for the Clarkson job; whether that is true or not, I don't know. Whatever his reasons might have been, I also don't know.

Generally there is no confirmable information to support these items. Such information may exist behind the scenes
            Last edited by Bill; 07-14-2011, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              OK, I'm gonna play devils advocate. Personally, I would love to see all 3 UP schools in one conference, but let's say Western is rejected by the NCHC and Hockey East. The WCHA has decided to accept 2 of the 3 applications among LSSU, Western and Fairbanks. I'm the AD at Mankato. Convince my why LSSU should be one of them. Now remember, as far as travel goes, Fairbanks picks up nearly all of the expenses AND you get two exempt games. Westen, as far as the Minnesota schools, when compared to the Soo, is an hour nearer for one, an hour longer for one and about equal distance from the third. Convince me why LSSU should be one of the applications accepted.

1) The Fairbanks situation is untenable over the long haul. No program can afford both its travel costs, plus pick up the tab of other teams' travel costs, and survive.

2) the distance to Alaska is deleterious to your program. A two-game set in Alaska is a week-long adventure. Two days to get ready and then get there, stay three days, two days to return and re-adjust. Now, imagine your team going up there for a playoff series, and having to play the next weekend if you win the series.

3) Of the three UP schools, the Soo is the best hockey market. This is because it can draw from the larger population (EUP plus Soo, Ontario = 125,000 potential fans). Also, there are more NHL and pro scouts in the Soo area, because many scouts spend time in the area because four miles away from where the Lakers play is where an OHL team plays. Playing in front of scouts on a consistent basis benefits your players, and ultimately your program, if you begin sending numbers to the pro leagues.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post

5) Jim Roque reportedly applied for the Clarkson job; whether that is true or not, I don't know. Whatever his reasons might have been, I also don't know.
                Jim did indeed apply for the job. His name was printed in a Clarkson paper as a candidate when interviews were going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Diamond View Post
                  Jim did indeed apply for the job. His name was printed in a Clarkson paper as a candidate when interviews were going on.
                  I can remember a link posted to a Clarkson paper article, but I couldn't remember if it said he was a confirmed candidate or just a rumored candidate.

Comment

I think in the end Western Michigan will end up in the new NCHC with Notre Dame. I'm sure UAF will be the 7th WCHA team. It would be up to the rest of the WCHA if they want us as an 8th team or reject us and stay at seven.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Diamond View Post
                      1) The Fairbanks situation is untenable over the long haul. No program can afford both its travel costs, plus pick up the tab of other teams' travel costs, and survive.

2) the distance to Alaska is deleterious to your program. A two-game set in Alaska is a week-long adventure. Two days to get ready and then get there, stay three days, two days to return and re-adjust. Now, imagine your team going up there for a playoff series, and having to play the next weekend if you win the series.

3) Of the three UP schools, the Soo is the best hockey market. This is because it can draw from the larger population (EUP plus Soo, Ontario = 125,000 potential fans). Also, there are more NHL and pro scouts in the Soo area, because many scouts spend time in the area because four miles away from where the Lakers play is where an OHL team plays. Playing in front of scouts on a consistent basis benefits your players, and ultimately your program, if you begin sending numbers to the pro leagues.
                      (1) Fairbanks has been doing it since it joined the CCHA. It hasn't been a problem yet. Why would it be now?
                      (2) That distance to Alaska is alot when going to Anchorage from the Minnesota schools, but when only flying to Anchorage, it's no worse than the bus trip from St Cloud to Michigan Tech. I've made enough of those trips. From NMU they are usually leave on Wednesday, back Sunday, even with a Green Bay bus trip included.
                      (3) If the Soo is the best hockey market, why do they only average less than 80 % of what NMU does and are only up about 10 % over Tech, despite the much larger market than both? Likely because the Canadian Soo really couldn't care less about college hockey. Not many Canadians are crossing the bridge to watch the Lakers unless they have family in the game. And that is unlikely to change.
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by Neil Diamond View Post
                        NMU had no problem doing just that in 2004. They swept UAF but couldn't fly out until Sunday night, didn't get home till very early Monday morning, and then had to pack the bus Tuesday to leave that afternoon to play in the early game at JLA for Thursday afternoon. And guess what? NMU went on to win the Thursday game to advance to the semi-finals.

We didn't b*tch about it then. And it's still a non-issue.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

(1) Fairbanks has been doing it since it joined the CCHA. It hasn't been a problem yet. Why would it be now?

Because I said it is not viable long-term, Now is not "long-term"

(2) That distance to Alaska is alot when going to Anchorage from the Minnesota schools, but when only flying to Anchorage, it's no worse than the bus trip from St Cloud to Michigan Tech. I've made enough of those trips. From NMU they are usually leave on Wednesday, back Sunday, even with a Green Bay bus trip included.

Which is still longer than going to LSSU

If the Soo is the best hockey market, why do they only average less than 80 % of what NMU does and are only up about 10 % over Tech, despite the much larger market than both? Likely because the Canadian Soo really couldn't care less about college hockey. Not many Canadians are crossing the bridge to watch the Lakers unless they have family in the game. And that is unlikely to change.

Geez, for a "devil's advocate", you sure get heated. If I didn't know better, I'd say you're more an NMU fan looking to rub crap in our face than a "devil's advocate". But that wouldn't be nice of me.

The Canadian Soo will follow college hockey if there is a winning program. That much was proven in the past. Just because they aren't following it today in the numbers they did in the past does not mean it's a market to be written off.

Sorry, you lose this one. Lake State can draw from Soo, Ontario. NMU can draw from...Harvey.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                            NMU had no problem doing just that in 2004. They swept UAF but couldn't fly out until Sunday night, didn't get home till very early Monday morning, and then had to pack the bus Tuesday to leave that afternoon to play in the early game at JLA for Thursday afternoon. And guess what? NMU went on to win the Thursday game to advance to the semi-finals.

We didn't b*tch about it then. And it's still a non-issue.
                            Anecdotal evidence. It didn't work in the Casey Anthony trial, and it won't work here.

Comment

This would be my dream scenario. Will never happen though.

New WCHA: LSSU, NMU, MTU, FSU, WMU, BSU, SCSU, MSUM, UAF, UAA
                              Michigan teams are in a cluster. Minnesota and Alaska teams are in another cluster.

New CCHA: BGSU, UAH, Robert Morris, Niagra, Mercyhurst, Canisus, RIT

New Atlantic: Bentley, American International, Sacred Heart, Army, Air Force, Holy Cross, UConn
                              Last edited by LSSULaker889294; 07-14-2011, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                                OK, I'm gonna play devils advocate. Personally, I would love to see all 3 UP schools in one conference, but let's say Western is rejected by the NCHC and Hockey East. The WCHA has decided to accept 2 of the 3 applications among LSSU, Western and Fairbanks. I'm the AD at Mankato. Convince my why LSSU should be one of them. Now remember, as far as travel goes, Fairbanks picks up nearly all of the expenses AND you get two exempt games. Westen, as far as the Minnesota schools, when compared to the Soo, is an hour nearer for one, an hour longer for one and about equal distance from the third. Convince me why LSSU should be one of the applications accepted.

Three reasons:

Wait, I've got another - the giant Taffy Abel cookies.

Actually, I think the arena itself is a nice asset. The tradition, however distant and fading, is still an asset. I have been pleasantly suprised in my travels, at the recognition and respect of the Laker brand.

I like some of the other posts as well.

I like WMU. I used to live in Kzoo. However, I am not convinced they enjoy the semi elite status some would like to give them. They caught lightning in a bottle for one year, and unfortunately for them, and college hockey, Blashill is gone. I have heard there is a "committment" to success by the administration. Really? Give me numbers. They did come up with money to try to keep Blashill, but where are they now? The arena is soviet style and they don't draw well. Their web site smacks of desperation.

I think Alaska has a first rate coach. I have heard they have a dedicated fan base, but I don't think the attendance numbers support that.

I don't think any of the three teams enjoy a strong advantage for WCHA admission. Time for bribes.

Comment

Working...
                                X