X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Laker Hockey 2011-12

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    Where do the Alaskas go? And Bemidji State
    The current Alaska school in the WCHA stays and Bemidji State is one of the three MN schools left in the WCHA as UM: Duluth is going into the new power league.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew J Carter View Post
      The current Alaska school in the WCHA stays and Bemidji State is one of the three MN schools left in the WCHA as UM: Duluth is going into the new power league.
      Here's how I think it comes down:
      WCHA-Alaska Anchorage, Bemidji, Minnesota State, St Cloud, Tech, NMU
      CCHA-Alaska Fairbanks, Lake Superior, Ferris, Bowling Green, Robert Morris, Mercyhurst, Niagara, Canisius
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

That scenario makes alot of sense. I do not know if this makes alot of sense. I would add (not knowing the rules) but merge what is left of the two conferences and have two divisions (based on travel and costs). If this was allowed they would easily meet the six team conferences rule regardless of what happens and be able to save travel costs. If not allow due to some rule the NCAA has the NCAA should do an exception. A super little school conference. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyintheblood View Post
          That scenario makes alot of sense. I do not know if this makes alot of sense. I would add (not knowing the rules) but merge what is left of the two conferences and have two divisions (based on travel and costs). If this was allowed they would easily meet the six team conferences rule regardless of what happens and be able to save travel costs. If not allow due to some rule the NCAA has the NCAA should do an exception. A super little school conference. Just a thought.
          The reason they won't merge into one league is to keep two automatic bids as opposed to one.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

CCHA-Alaska Fairbanks, Lake Superior, Ferris, Bowling Green, Robert Morris, Mercyhurst, Niagara, Canisius
            What's your issue with UAH? You never include them in any of your scenarios.

Comment

Originally posted by fangers View Post
              What's your issue with UAH? You never include them in any of your scenarios.
              Personally, I am a big UAH fan. I want them to survive and have great success. But the scenario I've put here is what I think could happen, as opposed to what I WANT to happen. If I'd have had my way, the CCHA would have accepted Huntsville two years ago. I spent several years living and working in the hockey business in the great state of Alabama (Roll Tide Roll!!!) and still consider it my second home. I've been to the Von Braun Center on many occasions. I think it's a great town, a great hockey town and a very good arena. And I love Dreamland BBQ. But nothing I have seen and no one I've talked to have given me any indication that UAH is at the top of anyone's list for a conference invite. I think that they are on the back burner for the (C)CHA if they aren't able to draw enough teams to reach the membership they would like to have.

What I WANT to happen is for Huntsville to find a conference home. But what I THINK will happen at this point is that they may not. There's a difference.
              Last edited by davyd83; 07-13-2011, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Wow. Its been a long time since I logged into the old message board.

As a life-long Laker fan and supporter, I am hoping that LSSU leaves the CCHA far, far in the rear-view mirror.

The CCHA is a horribly run operation. I am hearing that the boys out west were none to fond of the WCHA operation, either.

I submit its time to blow the whole thing up.

I believe that LSSU will only survive, and will only thrive, if they can get into a league with NMU, MTU, and Bemidji (call it the U.S. 2 alliance). Any other teams that round out that league would be fine -- but in my opinion for fan support, energy, similarly situated schools, similarly situated budgets, and similary situated institutional support for hockey -- LSSU MUST find a way to allign themselves with Tech, Northern, and the Beavers.

In my opinion, any league discussion MUST start with those four schools having their own meeting and setting their own parameters, and reaching out from there. These are the four best programs remaining (not in recent W-L records, but rather in the more important long-term indicators of success: financial, facility, and institutional support).

Consider the excellent facilities each of these schools provides. Consider the solid fan base, and solid alumni base, in small, hockey-mad, winter cities. Consider that each of these programs has a history and tradition of success and has each fed, in their own time, star players to the NHL.

Let us be a bit cold-blooded here: what do Ferris and BGSU bring to LSSU? Why should LSSU look south and east when the obvious connection is West? I mean, if BGSU and Ferris want to join the U.S. 2 League, great. But the discussion should center on the UP schools / BSU -- and radiate outward from there. NOt the other way around.

The U.S. 2 schools need to set themselves up as a solid block, and allow gravity to bring schools into THEIR orbit, rather than limping around, hat in hand, like a wounded beggar asking for scraps. We are all better schools, and better programs, than every other remaining school.

Bring the Alaska schools into the mix, and you have a very nice, tight conference of Far Northern Schools:

LSSU
                NMU
                Tech
                BSU
                Fairbanks
                UAA

Great rivalries. Great travel partners. All institutions similarly dedicated and funded.

Its time for the UP schools to flex some muscle. I know, after ten years under Tom A's "leadership," we have all been made to feel like we are impovershed scum, small school burdens. We are bad for TV in Detroit, and that was the only thing Tom A and his evil mavens cared about. Well, Tom is gone, the CCHA is dead. Time for the UP schools to grab themselves by the back of the neck, pull themselves up, slap themselves in the face, and remind themselves that they are excellent D-I hockey programs. Stop acting like beat dogs. We are not dogs. If the U.S. 2 schools band together, the other midwestern schools will have to deal with a very powerful bloc.

In fact, I may have to start my own thread on this topic. I feel more fired up for LSSU hockey than in any time in the past few years. This is a GREAT opportunity.
                Last edited by Lakerblue; 07-13-2011, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Sounds reasonable. But I'm still holding out hope that LSSU will be able to follow NMU into the WCHA. If LSSU remains in a CCHA looking like that, I seriously wonder if the program would last. Even if LSSU is more competitive, I have a hard time seeing decent attendance in the Soo for games against most of those schools. LSSU fits so much better with the remaining WCHA schools. And I realize a WCHA invite does not look likely at this point, but I hope the LSSU administration is pursuing this and making a case aggressively. With the situation so fluid right now, does the WCHA really want to sit at only 6 teams. What's to say a few years down the road the "National" conference doesn't take another look at St. Cloud or Mankato?

It's all speculation at this point of course. Hopefully we will learn more after the WCHA meeting Friday.

Very depressing.

Comment

Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
                    Wow. Its been a long time since I logged into the old message board.

As a life-long Laker fan and supporter, I am hoping that LSSU leaves the CCHA far, far in the rear-view mirror.

The CCHA is a horribly run operation. I am hearing that the boys out west were none to fond of the WCHA operation, either.

I submit its time to blow the whole thing up.

I believe that LSSU will only survive, and will only thrive, if they can get into a league with NMU, MTU, and Bemidji (call it the U.S. 2 alliance). Any other teams that round out that league would be fine -- but in my opinion for fan support, energy, similarly situated schools, similarly situated budgets, and similary situated institutional support for hockey -- LSSU MUST find a way to allign themselves with Tech, Northern, and the Beavers.

In my opinion, any league discussion MUST start with those four schools having their own meeting and setting their own parameters, and reaching out from there. These are the four best programs remaining (not in recent W-L records, but rather in the more important long-term indicators of success: financial, facility, and institutional support).

Consider the excellent facilities each of these schools provides. Consider the solid fan base, and solid alumni base, in small, hockey-mad, winter cities. Consider that each of these programs has a history and tradition of success and has each fed, in their own time, star players to the NHL.

Let us be a bit cold-blooded here: what do Ferris and BGSU bring to LSSU? Why should LSSU look south and east when the obvious connection is West? I mean, if BGSU and Ferris want to join the U.S. 2 League, great. But the discussion should center on the UP schools / BSU -- and radiate outward from there. NOt the other way around.

The U.S. 2 schools need to set themselves up as a solid block, and allow gravity to bring schools into THEIR orbit, rather than limping around, hat in hand, like a wounded beggar asking for scraps. We are all better schools, and better programs, than every other remaining school.

Bring the Alaska schools into the mix, and you have a very nice, tight conference of Far Northern Schools:

LSSU
                    NMU
                    Tech
                    BSU
                    Fairbanks
                    UAA

Great rivalries. Great travel partners. All institutions similarly dedicated and funded.

Its time for the UP schools to flex some muscle. I know, after ten years under Tom A's "leadership," we have all been made to feel like we are impovershed scum, small school burdens. We are bad for TV in Detroit, and that was the only thing Tom A and his evil mavens cared about. Well, Tom is gone, the CCHA is dead. Time for the UP schools to grab themselves by the back of the neck, pull themselves up, slap themselves in the face, and remind themselves that they are excellent D-I hockey programs. Stop acting like beat dogs. We are not dogs. If the U.S. 2 schools band together, the other midwestern schools will have to deal with a very powerful bloc.

In fact, I may have to start my own thread on this topic. I feel more fired up for LSSU hockey than in any time in the past few years. This is a GREAT opportunity.
                    Yes, but this needs St Cloud and Mankato within that base. Join the MN and Yooper Rivalries together.

Comment

Originally posted by laker_one View Post
                      Sounds reasonable. But I'm still holding out hope that LSSU will be able to follow NMU into the WCHA. If LSSU remains in a CCHA looking like that, I seriously wonder if the program would last. Even if LSSU is more competitive, I have a hard time seeing decent attendance in the Soo for games against most of those schools. LSSU fits so much better with the remaining WCHA schools. And I realize a WCHA invite does not look likely at this point, but I hope the LSSU administration is pursuing this and making a case aggressively. With the situation so fluid right now, does the WCHA really want to sit at only 6 teams. What's to say a few years down the road the "National" conference doesn't take another look at St. Cloud or Mankato?

It's all speculation at this point of course. Hopefully we will learn more after the WCHA meeting Friday.

Very depressing.
                      Suomi College would be a great rival.

The Truth Is Out There...
                      TBA

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Squad View Post

TBA
                        That confirms that you are living in the past.

Comment

So no news of Western Michigan and Notre Dame? I wonder why Notre Dame is taking so long to decide?
                          LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Notre Dame does not want to share their announcement with anyone else, and does not miss an opportunity to be "courted" by any number of leagues.

The WSBT-TV website from South Bend had the info they they would not be included in any announcement today, but plan to decide in August between their many suitors.

Comment

Originally posted by 3dognight View Post
                              Notre Dame does not want to share their announcement with anyone else, and does not miss an opportunity to be "courted" by any number of leagues.

The WSBT-TV website from South Bend had the info they they would not be included in any announcement today, but plan to decide in August between their many suitors.
                              That's what I thought I remember reading somewhere also; that Notre Dame wanted to make a decision by sometime in August.

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                                I wonder why Notre Dame is taking so long to decide?
                                There is no advantage for Notre Dame to rush to a decision. They write their own ticket.

Originally posted by Truth Squad View Post

TBA
                                I heard Frank Anzalone is one of the finalists for the assistant coach opening there.

Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
                                LSSU
                                NMU
                                Tech
                                BSU
                                Fairbanks
                                UAA
                                You have some great ideas, but it sounds like the U.P. schools (NMU and MTU) have already committed.

Comment

Working...
                                X