Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Laker Hockey 2011-12

Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post
    The AD mentioned that the Prez has not cut the athletic budget. I find it kinda strange that any teams from the east would leave to join our conference. That is what realy has me worried.

Dave nothing but best wishes for your Cats. They have got to do whats best for them in these crazy times, i will miss the weekend in Marquette every year for sure.
    Strange as it may seem, if this happens, NMU may be one of the few smaller schools to benefit from all the changes. Notre Dame, Ohio State & Miami weren't real attendance boosters. The extra MSU bump had decreased in recent years and was set to disappear with the Comley retirement. That leaves Michigan. Add an extra home conference game against Tech, and a great deal of the Michigan appeal is negated. Now add some new rivalries and the curiousity factor, and I really don't see an attendance decline at NMU. Now add the fact that it will be competing against similarly sized and budgeted schools and you have a situation where NMU can be a very competitive team in the new WCHA on a consistent basis.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

As a former NMU hoopster from 70-73 (I despised that old LSSC gym), former BSU head BB coach 81-95, and current BSU professor of health, I probably know less about hockey than most of you readers know about epidemiology. But looking at the map, I like the 3 MN teams, the 3 Yooper teams & UAA. Grab UAH if we must. If not, stay at 7 teams. Travel expenses for the MN teams will diminish, perhaps not so for the Yooper teams. Obviously, not the glamour without the old WCHA big dogs, but hey, with a few stellar signings and a little luck for almost any of these teams, a WCHA championship could be a reality and maybe sneak into that Frozen Four like BSU did a couple years back. Life is good. By the way, who was the last team to beat the 2011 national champions?

Comment

Originally posted by fangers View Post
        There are a couple of potential benefits that I think have folks thinking could cause them to consider a move.

* Atlantic Hockey only allows 12 scholarships. CCHA allows 18. Niagara and Robert Morris moved from the CHA where they had 18, so speculation is they might be willing to move to get those 6 schollys back.

* Mercyhurst is joining the MAC (not sure which sports), so might be interest in aligning with other MAC hockey schools.

But I'll guess we'll see.
        I am certain that your second point is not true. For one thing, that would require the Lakers to be moving the whole program up to Division I.
        UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew J Carter View Post
          As a former NMU hoopster from 70-73 (I despised that old LSSC gym), former BSU head BB coach 81-95, and current BSU professor of health, I probably know less about hockey than most of you readers know about epidemiology. But looking at the map, I like the 3 MN teams, the 3 Yooper teams & UAA. Grab UAH if we must. If not, stay at 7 teams. Travel expenses for the MN teams will diminish, perhaps not so for the Yooper teams. Obviously, not the glamour without the old WCHA big dogs, but hey, with a few stellar signings and a little luck for almost any of these teams, a WCHA championship could be a reality and maybe sneak into that Frozen Four like BSU did a couple years back. Life is good. By the way, who was the last team to beat the 2011 national champions?
          Where do the Alaskas go? And Bemidji State
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I was going to write a long post about my thoughts on all the changes ahead. Then I decided that a better way to voice my feelings would be to go to the LSSU Foundation website and send in $100 to the hockey team. So I did that instead.

I'm sure that's not enough to get me into the secret meetings of the donor group, but I wanted to do something to show my support!
            GO LAKERS!!!
            Last edited by Mogerfan; 07-12-2011, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
              I am certain that your second point is not true. For one thing, that would require the Lakers to be moving the whole program up to Division I.
              Then I stand corrected, thought I had read/heard that recently and it was given as possible motivation for them to want into the CCHA.

Comment

NMU will go to their BOT Thursday to approve a move to WCHA......UGH.

In some of my readings this week it seems that in the WCHA for the past couple of years there was a pattern of voting where big schools voted one way and small schools another, with budget a major concern Ditto for the CCHA. The WCHA could not secure a TV contract where the new league feels they will. It seems schools are gravitating to leagues that share their common interests (and budgets).

The 10 team "merger" league was an exciting option that is dissolving before our eyes.
                Good for NMU for making a solid move "back" to the WCHA.
                Tomorrow we will learn if WMU / ND and yes even BGSU are moving on. Friday we learn what the new WCHA will look like.
                The remaining CCHA members will then search for teams that fit their "new" reality.
                No More CCHA playoffs at the Joe, no more GLI invitations, as Refs and linesmen disburse even worse officiating (is that possible?)
                Fewer NHL Prospects rolling into the building, BIG travel budgets,

The Donor Group really does not "fear" changes, but we are not foolish. We will scale a project to whatever reality 2013 provides.
                We are watching along with all of you, aggressively looking for quality information. We are in a good place as these things will be decided in the project development stage.
                While much of the project impacts other sports we are a hockey based group...that is our focus.
                We can certainly make adjustments as needed, but none are planned at this time. We will wait for the dust to clear..
                I am hopeful the CCHA can pull a rabbit from the hat.
                Last edited by 3dognight; 07-12-2011, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 3dognight View Post
                  NMU will go to their BOT Thursday to approve a move to WCHA......UGH.
                  I haven't seen any where that it says that. They've been planning to discuss their athletics program.
                  Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                  What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                    I haven't seen any where that it says that. They've been planning to discuss their athletics program.
                    CCHA memo today.
                    Last edited by 3dognight; 07-12-2011, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Dumb question:

Has there been anymore talk of admitting/folding CIS schools into the NCAA? Now would be the time to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by AVFC View Post
                        Dumb question:

Has there been anymore talk of admitting/folding CIS schools into the NCAA? Now would be the time to do so.
                        UBC backed out of it's plan to move to the NCAA. Simon Fraser is D2, but they don't sponsor hockey.

CCHA memo today.
                        Check your rep!

http://board.uscho.com/usercp.php
                        Last edited by Flashy Man; 07-12-2011, 06:42 PM.
                        What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

CCHA memo today.
                          Contact here if you wish to remain anonymous. Just spoof your info.

Comment

yes even BGSU are moving on.
                            I take it Bowling Green is trying to get into Hockey East? If that happened, it's probably just us and Ferris left in the CCHA . We better pray Niagra, Robert Morris, Canisus, Mercyhurst, and Alabama Huntsville can all be able to join the CCHA if this nightmare scenario happens. If not, us and Ferris might be dead soon.
                            LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                              I take it Bowling Green is trying to get into Hockey East? If that happened, it's probably just us and Ferris left in the CCHA . We better pray Niagra, Robert Morris, Canisus, Mercyhurst, and Alabama Huntsville can all be able to join the CCHA if this nightmare scenario happens. If not, us and Ferris might be dead soon.
                              The only question B.G. is pondering right now is whether or not their program is salvageable given the current circumstances. A move to Hockey East is not even in the realm of possibility for the school.

This whole restructuring of college hockey is based on the notion that institutions ought to be grouped with their similar peers. I have a hard time digesting the possibility that what remains of the WCHA would not be at least intrigued with the addition of a school like Lake Superior State. Yes, the school is one of the smallest in all of D-1 hockey but Lake State has shown, for quite some time now, that it places hockey among its highest priorities and is willing to make the necessary investments to ensure that its program remains a viable D-1 entity. The school managed to raise enough funds that enabled it to give its arena a total retrofit, making it, at the time, one of the finest facility in all of Division 1 hockey and some 16 years later it still remains more than an adequate facility for the college game.

Lake State has now secured another large private donation that will raise the level of not just hockey but its other sports as well, proving that its small size is no detriment in securing scarce funds for its athletic programs. There is no question that Lake State could be competitive in the new re-branded WCHA and be an asset to the league.

The exclusion of Laker Hockey will lead to very dire consequences for the program as I am not convinced that they will be able to garner the needed fan interest if they were placed in what will undoubtedly be a lower level conference.

Comment

Originally posted by Mogerfan View Post
                                I was going to write a long post about my thoughts on all the changes ahead. Then I decided that a better way to voice my feelings would be to go to the LSSU Foundation website and send in $100 to the hockey team. So I did that instead.

I'm sure that's not enough to get me into the secret meetings of the donor group, but I wanted to do something to show my support!
                                GO LAKERS!!!
                                Thanks Mogerfan for supporting Laker hockey.

I guess we'll learn more about what Notre Dame and Western Michigan will do tomorrow. It should be very interesting.
                                LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Working...
                                X