Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Laker Hockey 2011-12

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    There have been rule changes by the NCAA regarding missed class time in the 40 years that have passed since LSSU competed with those schools. The potential for two Alaska trips in a season eats up a couple extra days there. There have also been changes in federal law regarding driving time which, with the advent of GPS technology, is incredible closely monitored. As for the time on a bus, it is very rare to see a team spend more than 8 or 9 hours traveling on the day prior to a game. NMU maxes out at 9 hours on it's trips to Bowling Green and Notre Dame, but then you still have time for the team to get a good skate in that evening, a good meal and good rest. Trips to Omaha, Oxford and Columbus were second day trips. One must also, when judging trip length take into account restrictions on drivers, how much time they are legally allowed to work during a given day and the fact that on a trip such as that they are required certain amounts of rest and meal time. And you can't just look at the mileage and say Bemidji is only 50 miles longer than NMU to Bowling Green. NMU to Bowling Green is all freeway once you hit the Bridge. Bemidji to the Soo is all US-2 and M-28 which adds an hour or hour and a half to the extra 50 miles making it more like 11-11 1/2 hours than the 9-9 1/2 NMU takes to get to Northern Ohio.

You might now ask, why Fairbanks instead of LSSU. That's simple, two games exempt from your official NCAA count, allowing two more home game with which to generate revenue, or scheduling a big school in a series that produces a nice check for your school as well.
    Do you think it's primarily a travel issue then, or might it also be that keeping the WCHA size down allows for more non-conference games against former WCHA teams?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
      Do you think it's primarily a travel issue then, or might it also be that keeping the WCHA size down allows for more non-conference games against former WCHA teams?
      I do know that the goal is 7 or 8 teams. Alaska would be the 7th. They don't have any desire to get bigger. Travel is an issue with LSSU, where it might not be with Fairbanks because of the exemptions you gain by going there. As for the membership as a whole, you have to look at what do the Minnesota schools add by taking LSSU in, other than an 8th team? Do they bring a similar budget as the rest of the schools? Do they bring the ability to be nationally competitive on a regular basis? I think that the league will stay at 6 or 7 unless they can add someone that can bring something to the league, without adding alot in the way of travel expense. The only other current CCHA school that I could see even being remotely possible is Western. They bring a school with a new strong commitment to hockey in terms of finance and resource and one that can be nationally competitive. Though WMU is looking strongly at the Conference to be named later and Hockey East. It's more likely that 8th spot stays open for the time being.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
        I do know that the goal is 7 or 8 teams. Alaska would be the 7th. They don't have any desire to get bigger. Travel is an issue with LSSU, where it might not be with Fairbanks because of the exemptions you gain by going there. As for the membership as a whole, you have to look at what do the Minnesota schools add by taking LSSU in, other than an 8th team? Do they bring a similar budget as the rest of the schools? Do they bring the ability to be nationally competitive on a regular basis? I think that the league will stay at 6 or 7 unless they can add someone that can bring something to the league, without adding alot in the way of travel expense. The only other current CCHA school that I could see even being remotely possible is Western. They bring a school with a new strong commitment to hockey in terms of finance and resource and one that can be nationally competitive. Though WMU is looking strongly at the Conference to be named later and Hockey East. It's more likely that 8th spot stays open for the time being.
        Fair enough. I realize that LSSU probably has a smaller hockey budget by far than the other WCHA schools to be, and money is increasingly the name of the game these days.
        Last edited by Bill; 07-12-2011, 10:24 AM. Reason: correction

Comment

Fair enough. I realize that LSSU probably has a smaller hockey budget by far than the other WCHA schools to be, and money is increasingly the name of the game these days.
          It certainly is. I hate seeing what is happening right now. But it was bound to happen sooner or later. I don't blame any school or individual. Once a sixth Big10 school added hockey, the other five had no choice to remain with their current leagues. You had half the WCHA schools with bigger budgets and half with smaller budgets left. The bigger budget model doesn't work for the small schools. The smaller budget model doesn't work for the bigger schools. Absent a new arena and a national championship, I doubt that Duluth jumps. But that split was bound to happen as well. And, just like in football, once a few of the bigger dominoes fall, it just keeps going right down the line. Pleasure exchanging ideas with you.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post
            I just tried to submit a message for the ccha on their website and suprise suprise their is a internal problem and it could not be submitted.

Dave, please excuse our ignorance but unlike your schools team our once proud Lakers appear to be stairing at quite possibly the end of our team in the very near future.
            And that would be a horrible thing. I hope there is some way that LSSU can find a way to make it work. Ferris as well. The schools have been class acts and great rivals. I hate the way things are changing in college hockey. It kinda used to be like your old neighborhood where the big kids, the middle sized kids and the little kids all played together and everyone had a great time. Now the big kids (Big 10 and New Conference) have taken their pucks and left the rink and the middle sized kids (WCHA) have grabbed theirs too leaving the little kids behind and wondering if they'll have anyone to play with. They may have to go and find some new kids from the next neighborhood over to have enough for a game.

Comment

I wonder if the donor group will pull the plug on the Norris Center project and "give up" because they fear Laker hockey might end and don't want to waste money?
              Last edited by LSSULaker889294; 07-12-2011, 11:48 AM.
              LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                I wonder if the donor group will pull the plug on the Norris Center project and "give up" because they fear Laker hockey might end and don't want to waste money?
                Correct me if I'm wrong but it was my belief that the Norris Center project was not just about hockey and was/is to benefit the other sports as well.

Comment

yes that is what I heard as well

Comment

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
                    Correct me if I'm wrong but it was my belief that the Norris Center project was not just about hockey and was/is to benefit the other sports as well.
                    Yes you are right, but hockey is the number one priority and most of the money is towards hockey. If LSSU hockey did fold, perhaps they could still use whatever money was intended for the other sports.

Also I checked the schedule and a Blue/Gold game was added. The game/scrimmage is on October 8 at 7:05 PM. I'm not sure why they didn't have it the past couple years but I'm glad they have it back this year.

Comment

I don't fear Laker hockey ending because of what's happening to the college hockey league landscape. I think the overall economic situation in the country and state is more of a threat to Laker hockey if the economy doesn't improve over the next few years. If the WCHA (what's left of it) doesn't want LSSU or Ferris, then we're left with LSSU, Ferris, and BG from the CCHA, plus UAH, plus trying to get at least two teams, preferably three or even four, from Atlantic Hockey to form a revamped CCHA. Many have speculated that several Atlantic Hockey teams (Mercyhurst, Robert Morris, Niagara, Canisius) might be interested in doing just that since it would allow them to expand the number of hockey scholarships they can offer. I can live with a CCHA with six to eight of those teams. I suppose it's possible that Alaska-Fairbanks could stay with the CCHA also, although it's sounding like they might go to the WCHA. I prefer the current CCHA, with the addition of UAH, but that is no longer a reality. Money talks and we don't have enough of it. Most of the big schools don't want to play in the same league with the little schools anymore unless the little schools can put a lot of money on the table. However it shakes out, I think the most important thing for Laker hockey is putting a winning team on the ice on a relatively consistent basis.

Comment

I don't fear Laker hockey ending because of what's happening to the college hockey league landscape. I think the overall economic situation in the country and state is more of a threat to Laker hockey if the economy doesn't improve over the next few years. If the WCHA (what's left of it) doesn't want LSSU or Ferris, then we're left with LSSU, Ferris, and BG from the CCHA, plus UAH, plus trying to get at least two teams, preferably three or even four, from Atlantic Hockey to form a revamped CCHA. Many have speculated that several Atlantic Hockey teams (Mercyhurst, Robert Morris, Niagara, Canisius) might be interested in doing just that since it would allow them to expand the number of hockey scholarships they can offer. I can live with a CCHA with six to eight of those teams. I suppose it's possible that Alaska-Fairbanks could stay with the CCHA also, although it's sounding like they might go to the WCHA. I prefer the current CCHA, with the addition of UAH, but that is no longer a reality. Money talks and we don't have enough of it. Most of the big schools don't want to play in the same league with the little schools anymore unless the little schools can put a lot of money on the table. However it shakes out, I think the most important thing for Laker hockey is putting a winning team on the ice on a relatively consistent basis.
                        I've spent a lot of time in the sports business, both NCAA and minor pro, and on a consistent basis the best marketing tool is not free popcorn, it's not 2 for 1 tickets, it's not foam fingers. It's not Michigan coming to town. Quite simply, it's the "W." Except if your the Chicago Cubs!

Comment

If LSSU and NMU are separated from leagues, hopefully it's not the end of the Cappo Cup. Hopefully NMU and LSSU can manage an OOC series if that scenario happens.

Travel would kind of suck if we were in a league ended up with LSSU, FSU, BGSU, UAH, RMU, NU, and MC though, but so would moving to the the WCHA. SCSU, BSU, and MSUM are all long bus rides as well plus perhaps two trips to Alaska every year as well. Still the WCHA would be beter.
                          Last edited by LSSULaker889294; 07-12-2011, 02:01 PM.

Comment

If LSSU and NMU are separated from leagues, hopefully it's not the end of the Cappo Cup. Hopefully NMU and LSSU can manage an OOC series if that scenario happens.

Travel would kind of suck if we were in a league ended up with LSSU, FSU, BGSU, UAH, RMU, NU, and MC though, but so would moving to the the WCHA. SCSU, BSU, and MSUM are all long bus rides as well plus perhaps two trips to Alaska every year as well. Still the WCHA would be beter.
                            Actually, I think a CCHA with the above mentioned schools give the Lakers a better chance to compete and compete quickly and consistently.

Comment

The AD mentioned that the Prez has not cut the athletic budget. I find it kinda strange that any teams from the east would leave to join our conference. That is what realy has me worried.

Dave nothing but best wishes for your Cats. They have got to do whats best for them in these crazy times, i will miss the weekend in Marquette every year for sure.
                              BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post
                                The AD mentioned that the Prez has not cut the athletic budget. I find it kinda strange that any teams from the east would leave to join our conference. That is what realy has me worried.

Dave nothing but best wishes for your Cats. They have got to do whats best for them in these crazy times, i will miss the weekend in Marquette every year for sure.
                                There are a couple of potential benefits that I think have folks thinking could cause them to consider a move.

* Atlantic Hockey only allows 12 scholarships. CCHA allows 18. Niagara and Robert Morris moved from the CHA where they had 18, so speculation is they might be willing to move to get those 6 schollys back.

* Mercyhurst is joining the MAC (not sure which sports), so might be interest in aligning with other MAC hockey schools.

But I'll guess we'll see.

Comment

Working...
                                X