LSSU Laker Hockey 2011-12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Laker Hockey 2011-12

I really don’t see the formation of the B10 Conference and a Super Conference doing anything positive for college hockey. It will only begin to bring in the mentality of the big schools taking over a sport attempting to dominate it. Someone mention a comparison to college basketball – let’s pray it doesn’t take us there.

The start of a Super Conference will ultimately back fire on some of those who think it will benefit them. Western had one good year; while it has commitment more to their hockey program there is no long term track record. Miami has been hot for a few years; but is not a long term history. We know what it is like to be at the top and then try to stay at there.

That said there is not a thing we can do about it; it is a free country. We can only do what is best for Laker Hockey and it is great news the AD is burning the wires talking to others. Today I see Northern is ready to jump to the WHCA so it will not be left on the outside looking in. I really don’t want to see the Lakers left on the outside looking in. The conference Neal Diamond suggested looked pretty good to me and would create a competitive conference; a conference which receives an automatic bid to the NCAA Finals. Bottomline is we all want a team which is competitive year in and year out. Fans will come to see a winner whether it is the CCHA or a new conference. We are Laker Hockey fans.

Now we have MSU or Michigan, fill the arena in the Soo once every other year or less. I would rather see a winning team fill arena for each of their home games. The money is the same whether it is winning against a St. Cloud State or losing to a Michigan.

As for recruiting against the B10 or the Super Conference; I don’t believe it will the problem some think. Does a young player want to contribute now or sit on the bench and wait his turn? Does someone one want to be the big fish in a small pond or the small fish in the big pond. We never had an opportunity to compete against the big schools if a prospect wanted to play at a big school. As for competition; the B10 teams and the Super Conference will still need to fill out their schedules, so there will be opportunities.

Let’s keep encouraging the AD to do the right thing for Lake Hockey.
    Go Lakers!

Comment

If NMU makes the jump, I would certainly like to see LSSU make the jump to the WCHA, as well. Either way, it will be an interesting week.
      Embrace the hate.

Comment

Originally posted by nmu_27 View Post
        If NMU makes the jump, I would certainly like to see LSSU make the jump to the WCHA, as well. Either way, it will be an interesting week.
        Looks like NMU has already made the jump.....http://rinkandrun.areavoices.com/201...medium=twitter

The article mentions that Alaska Fairbanks may be the next addition to the WCHA

Things are moving very fast now and it appears the new conferences will be formed by the end of August at the latest.

Comment

Originally posted by nmu_27 View Post
          It's not likely that LSSU is desired by the Minnesota schools
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            It's not likely that LSSU is desired by the Minnesota schools
            That would be a very bad development for LSSU....the school needs to be based in a conference with NMU, Tech and the remaining WCHA programs. I'm not sure Laker hockey would survive in a conference featuring the few remaining CCHA programs and the addition of some Atlantic teams.

Comment

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
              That would be a very bad development for LSSU....the school needs to be based in a conference with NMU, Tech and the remaining WCHA programs. I'm not sure Laker hockey would survive in a conference featuring the few remaining CCHA programs and the addition of some Atlantic teams.

I have a sick feeling in my gut you may be right jnacc.
              BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post
                I have a sick feeling in my gut you may be right jnacc.
                I am pretty sure Tech won't allow LSSU to die off; I am sure an invite will come....when, not sure.
                [Capt. Ramsey: Short of the outbreak of World War Three, the ship sinking... being attacked by a giant octopus, I'd like to be undisturbed for the next thirty minutes.

Comment

• Originally posted by smokeythebear View Post
                  I am pretty sure Tech won't allow LSSU to die off; I am sure an invite will come....when, not sure.
                  Wow that is almost funny. When UAH were denied admitance too the ccha i felt realy bad for them and wished them nothing but the best. Now with the dismal looking future of our once proud program i can truely sympathise with their fans and only hope that something can be worked out so that college hockey can grow instead of programs being dropped.
                  BLEED BLUE

Comment

Although there are those who feel the MN schools aren't interested in LSSU becoming part of the WCHA (and I'm not sure what the rationale is behind that), it should be noted that the first college hockey league that the Lakers participated in also had Bemidji and St Cloud as members.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                      Although there are those who feel the MN schools aren't interested in LSSU becoming part of the WCHA (and I'm not sure what the rationale is behind that), it should be noted that the first college hockey league that the Lakers participated in also had Bemidji and St Cloud as members.
                      It could be that non of them is a single day bus trip from the Soo
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

It could be that non of them is a single day bus trip from the Soo
                        They would be long bus trips for sure, but all doable in a day. And the Lakers did play in the same league as two of the three MN schools in the past, Mankato being the exception.

Comment

They would be long bus trips for sure, but all doable in a day. And the Lakers did play in the same league as two of the three MN schools in the past, Mankato being the exception.
                          No they don't do 11 1/2 to 12 1/2 hour trips in a single day on the way out. They do do it coming home, having to change drivers halfway home due to driving limits. I know the google map says 10 1/2 hours for a couple of those trips, but you also must consider meal stops and the fact that there are limits on how much time a bus driver can put in (max 10 hrs total per day). Then you consider the health and safety of the players, and you're not putting them on a bus trip for 11 hours today and playing tomorrow.

Comment

No they don't do 11 1/2 to 12 1/2 hour trips in a single day on the way out. They do do it coming home, having to change drivers halfway home due to driving limits. I know the google map says 10 1/2 hours for a couple of those trips, but you also must consider meal stops and the fact that there are limits on how much time a bus driver can put in (max 10 hrs total per day). Then you consider the health and safety of the players, and you're not putting them on a bus trip for 11 hours today and playing tomorrow.
                            Is 8 hours on a bus considered acceptable then for playing the next day, or will they run into the same player issues when traveling to Marquette? All I'm saying is that LSSU played in the same league in the past as Bemidji and St Cloud, and those schools were able to make it work. If travel time is their main issue, what's different today that makes them no longer willing to consider it?

Comment

Is 8 hours on a bus considered acceptable then for playing the next day, or will they run into the same player issues when traveling to Marquette? All I'm saying is that LSSU played in the same league in the past as Bemidji and St Cloud, and those schools were able to make it work. If travel time is their main issue, what's different today that makes them no longer willing to consider it?
                              There have been rule changes by the NCAA regarding missed class time in the 40 years that have passed since LSSU competed with those schools. The potential for two Alaska trips in a season eats up a couple extra days there. There have also been changes in federal law regarding driving time which, with the advent of GPS technology, is incredible closely monitored. As for the time on a bus, it is very rare to see a team spend more than 8 or 9 hours traveling on the day prior to a game. NMU maxes out at 9 hours on it's trips to Bowling Green and Notre Dame, but then you still have time for the team to get a good skate in that evening, a good meal and good rest. Trips to Omaha, Oxford and Columbus were second day trips. One must also, when judging trip length take into account restrictions on drivers, how much time they are legally allowed to work during a given day and the fact that on a trip such as that they are required certain amounts of rest and meal time. And you can't just look at the mileage and say Bemidji is only 50 miles longer than NMU to Bowling Green. NMU to Bowling Green is all freeway once you hit the Bridge. Bemidji to the Soo is all US-2 and M-28 which adds an hour or hour and a half to the extra 50 miles making it more like 11-11 1/2 hours than the 9-9 1/2 NMU takes to get to Northern Ohio.

You might now ask, why Fairbanks instead of LSSU. That's simple, two games exempt from your official NCAA count, allowing two more home game with which to generate revenue, or scheduling a big school in a series that produces a nice check for your school as well.
                              Last edited by davyd83; 07-12-2011, 07:49 AM.

Comment

I just tried to submit a message for the ccha on their website and suprise suprise their is a internal problem and it could not be submitted.

Dave, please excuse our ignorance but unlike your schools team our once proud Lakers appear to be stairing at quite possibly the end of our team in the very near future.
                                BLEED BLUE

Comment

Working...
                                X