Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Laker Hockey 2011-12

Originally posted by Neil Diamond View Post
    ...or, it may remake the college hockey landscape into something more realistic, and healthier than it was.

LSSU and Ferris in the same conference as UM and MSU wasn't realistic.

LSSU, Ferris, Northern, Tech, Bemidji, Alaska, BG, St. Cloud, Minn-State, and Alaska-Anchorage in a conference? Yeah, that makes sense. And it would provide, ultimately, more exciting action, as the programs would be more or less on an even playing field.

Sometimes change is good.
    I would agree with you. I think it put the apples with the apples and makes for a much more competitive league.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by 3dognight View Post
      Jeff Blashill in the running for asst coach position with the Red Wings..

It puts WMU in a tough spot if he gets it, as they had him paid and penciled in as a program builder.

I have to believe the only reason an offer to join the rumored "new conference" (with Notre Dame, North Dakota, Denver, Miami & others) was extended to Western is because they belive Jeff Blashill is going to stay and build the program into a real contender. (Perhaps a favor called in by old pal Rico). It can't be on merit of what Western has done in the NCAA hockey landscape thus far. It's my opinion, that if Blashill was offered the Red Wings assistant job and left Western, that offer to Western of joining the rumored new conference would be pulled back.

Also, not to downplay the opportunity or anything. It speaks very highly of J. Blashill that he is being considered for the Red Wing assistant job in the first place. Congrats to him and good luck while chasing that dream of coaching in the NHL. If not in the immediate future, then in the years to come.
      Last edited by SmartAxe; 07-07-2011, 10:08 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
        That wouldn't be too bad of a conference. A 10 team conference with these teams would be doable.
        Clusters would probably be:
        BGSU/FSU, LSSU/NMU, MTU/Bemidji, SCSU/MSM, UAF/UAA

It does sound like this super conference will become a reality.
        The CCHA had better be aggressive, as I believe the WCHA will be. I could see them grabbing Alaska & NMU leaving the CCHA w/o a automatic bid. (CHA type conference).
        I am hoping for the above new conference BUT This bears watching........
        CCHA teams need to declare their intentions at Aug Mtgs.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3dognight View Post
          The CCHA had better be aggressive, as I believe the WCHA will be. I could see them grabbing Alaska & NMU leaving the CCHA w/o a automatic bid. (CHA type conference).
          I am hoping for the above new conference BUT This bears watching........
          CCHA teams need to declare their intentions at Aug Mtgs.
          I suppose they could look at Canisus, UA- Huntsville, etc but that would be a less desirable schedule and lots of travel.
          McLeod may not be willing to let the W fade away.......I hope Pletsch is up to the task.
          Last edited by 3dognight; 07-07-2011, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 3dognight View Post
            I suppose they could look at Canisus, UA- Huntsville, etc but that would be a less desirable schedule and lots of travel. McLeod may not be willing to let the W fade away.......I hope Pletsch is up to the task.
            Part time Pletsch? Makes you really wonder what if anything he can do.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              I would agree with you. I think it put the apples with the apples and makes for a much more competitive league.
              Competitive yes but as alluring or exciting as having nationally renowned programs like Michigan, Ohio and Notre Dame in your league....most likely not. I always enjoyed watching some of the best players in college hockey coming to our small little corner of the world even as they beat the crap out of the Lakers these past fifteen years.

Having a winning program, even though it will be in a much lesser league, may indeed garner more fan interest but then again, schools like Michigan/Michigan State were always the top home draws and I suspect that this will have an over-all negative impact.

Comment

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
                Competitive yes but as alluring or exciting as having nationally renowned programs like Michigan, Ohio and Notre Dame in your league....most likely not. I always enjoyed watching some of the best players in college hockey coming to our small little corner of the world even as they beat the crap out of the Lakers these past fifteen years.

Having a winning program, even though it will be in a much lesser league, may indeed garner more fan interest but then again, schools like Michigan/Michigan State were always the top home draws and I suspect that this will have an over-all negative impact.
                I suppose it all depends on what you believe is more important: what we (local fans) get from all of this; or what college hockey overall gets from all of this.

If college hockey is to make the next logical step, and become a major player in NCAA sports, then having your Michigans and Minnesotas playing your Lake States and Techs just does not make sense. We had it good here in the Sault over the years with the unrealistic setup; but change was inevitable, and now it's here.

Comment

I suppose it all depends on what you believe is more important: what we (local fans) get from all of this; or what college hockey overall gets from all of this.

If college hockey is to make the next logical step, and become a major player in NCAA sports, then having your Michigans and Minnesotas playing your Lake States and Techs just does not make sense. We had it good here in the Sault over the years with the unrealistic setup; but change was inevitable, and now it's here.
                  There are two sides here with this "New CCHA era" we are coming into: Lets say its a 8 team league (LSSU, NMU, MTU, SCSU, BSU, MSU-M, UAA, UAF). There are no big name schools there that is really going to draw people, like playing Michigan, or State. Now, if you manage to win in this league, yes fans will come out. Winning breeds fandom. The problem is, some poor team is going to be in the basement and if it is for years and years, you can bet that program will get axed because they will be bleeding money.
                  Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
                  1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
                  1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
                  2006-2007: 15-24-2
                  2007-2008: 20-20-4
                  2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
                    There are two sides here with this "New CCHA era" we are coming into: Lets say its a 8 team league (LSSU, NMU, MTU, SCSU, BSU, MSU-M, UAA, UAF). There are no big name schools there that is really going to draw people, like playing Michigan, or State. Now, if you manage to win in this league, yes fans will come out. Winning breeds fandom. The problem is, some poor team is going to be in the basement and if it is for years and years, you can bet that program will get axed because they will be bleeding money.
                    I see your point, but I think the markets these teams come from are, for the most part, solid hockey markets; that is, hockey is ingrained in the culture of every city in which these programs operate (except BGSU). That is why this potential league, more than whatever other remnants come out of the wake of the BTHC and the supposed "super league", would be the strongest and most viable "other" league.

In all these markets (BGSU excluded), competitive teams and a quality product will draw enough fans to keep the programs viable, because these markets gravitate towards all levels of hockey during their long winter months.

Comment

I see your point, but I think the markets these teams come from are, for the most part, solid hockey markets; that is, hockey is ingrained in the culture of every city in which these programs operate (except BGSU). That is why this potential league, more than whatever other remnants come out of the wake of the BTHC and the supposed "super league", would be the strongest and most viable "other" league.

In all these markets (BGSU excluded), competitive teams and a quality product will draw enough fans to keep the programs viable, because these markets gravitate towards all levels of hockey during their long winter months.
                      You havent been to Marquette lately. This past year, the first round playoff matchup vs. Bowling Green, NMU was lucky if they had more than 1,000 people each night. As someone not from the area, and coming into Marquette, I heard how much of a hockey team it is. I have to disagree with that based on my living here in Maine prior to Marquette.
                      Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
                      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
                      1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
                      2006-2007: 15-24-2
                      2007-2008: 20-20-4
                      2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

You havent been to Marquette lately. This past year, the first round playoff matchup vs. Bowling Green, NMU was lucky if they had more than 1,000 people each night. As someone not from the area, and coming into Marquette, I heard how much of a hockey team it is. I have to disagree with that based on my living here in Maine prior to Marquette.
                        Well, I was in Marquette last week, so I've been there recently.

As someone that's been in this region all his life, the current attendance anomalies in Marquette and the Soo are the exception, not the rule. These things can be cyclical, and the current economic downturn no doubt has played a role.

Plus, the fact both LSSU and NMU drew poorly in their first-round playoff matchups don't do a lot for the presumption held by some (not necessarily you) that being in a conference with Big Ten schools means anything for attendance other than the very few times those teams visit town.

Comment

Very similar numbers to what Lake State had in its playoff match-up....against a future big 10 team no less! In fact, the local Junior A team drew numbers in their playoff run that were very close to what the Lakers got....meaning that the Soo is no longer the college hockey town that it once was. Of course 15 years of mediocre to downright dismal performances will do that to any fan base.

What will college hockey really get out of this? It will never have a large enough footprint to ever become a "big time" NCAA player....after Michigan et al leave the CCHA, I couldn't care less what happens to them as I'll never be watching them....yeah sure I'll travel to the big house to see a Michigan football game and I'd go to E.Lansing to see Sparty B-Ball but that's because the best young players in the sport are playing there. If I want to see some of the best young players in the game of hockey, I wouldn't need to go all the way down to Yost....I'd just drive a short distance to the Essar Center and watch the Soo Greyhounds play.

Comment

What will college hockey really get out of this? It will never have a large enough footprint to ever become a "big time" NCAA player.

I appreciate your opinion.

after Michigan et al leave the CCHA, I couldn't care less what happens to them as I'll never be watching them

I appreciate the heads-up as to what you will do.

I'd just drive a short distance to the Essar Center and watch the Soo Greyhounds play

The same Greyhounds that fired their entire front office this past season? The last-place Greyhounds?

Comment

The whole Big 10 draw is overrated. NMU might have two home series against Big 10 teams at home. Ohio State has rarely been a better than average draw. Now replace the one or two series at home against MSU and UM, and realize that a lot of the rivalry w MSU goes away with Rick Comely, now add another game with Tech to the home schedule, and in some years the difference is negligible.
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

What will college hockey really get out of this? It will never have a large enough footprint to ever become a "big time" NCAA player.

I appreciate your opinion.

after Michigan et al leave the CCHA, I couldn't care less what happens to them as I'll never be watching them

I appreciate the heads-up as to what you will do.

I'd just drive a short distance to the Essar Center and watch the Soo Greyhounds play

The same Greyhounds that fired their entire front office this past season? The last-place Greyhounds?
                                Yup...the last place Greyhounds that had 4 players taken in the recent NHL entry draft and who look to do much better the next season...and who regularly play quality opponents, featuring top flight NHL prospects in perhaps the best development league in the world.

Thank you for appreciating my opinion and as to what I will be doing....of course there are many who share my opinion and will be doing the same thing

Comment

Working...
                                X