X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting: Filling the foundation with 5 stars

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
    Maybe they just offer his brother a spot as one of the reserve forwards in 14. Uw will need guys and while he might not play a ton, he is a decent player who can grow. Look @ ryan little and keegan meuer, playing way above their presumed role on the team when they arrived imo.
    I don't hate the idea, although I know that isn't the offer at this point. I think UW wants to watch his brother (Jason) in the USHL a little bit this year before they make a decision on him either way. IMO, Keegan ford isn't a MUST have, but he's a really good in-state player that they should keep. Especially since his father played and coached at UW.

I'm told there is no timetable on this decision, but he's a guy that can really help Wisconsin. I like the kid a lot as a player.

Last scouting report I had on him: "Don't let his size (5'9, 177) fool you, Ford is a future D1 hockey player. Dubuque of the USHL used a tender on him and I can see why. He's only 5'9 but he's got a thick lower half and isn't afraid to hit. He's always positionally aware and you can tell he really thinks the game. Advanced."

Comment

How are the Badgers looking going into this season? I have been paying some attention, but I'd like a Sconnie fan's honest opinion. Thanks in advance!
      the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
        How are the Badgers looking going into this season? I have been paying some attention, but I'd like a Sconnie fan's honest opinion. Thanks in advance!
        I'll answer in our regular Wisconsin thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
          IMO, Keegan ford isn't a MUST have, but he's a really good in-state player that they should keep. Especially since his father played and coached at UW.

I'm told there is no timetable on this decision, but he's a guy that can really help Wisconsin. I like the kid a lot as a player.

Last scouting report I had on him: "Don't let his size (5'9, 177) fool you, Ford is a future D1 hockey player. Dubuque of the USHL used a tender on him and I can see why. He's only 5'9 but he's got a thick lower half and isn't afraid to hit. He's always positionally aware and you can tell he really thinks the game. Advanced."
          If UND and OSU want him, he's a must have kind of guy.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I don't hate the idea, although I know that isn't the offer at this point. I think UW wants to watch his brother (Jason) in the USHL a little bit this year before they make a decision on him either way. IMO, Keegan ford isn't a MUST have, but he's a really good in-state player that they should keep. Especially since his father played and coached at UW.

I saw one of Team Wisconsin Minor's games at Central Districts at the end of last season and I thought Keegan Ford outplayed both Cooper Watson and Luke Davison in that particular game (Watson & Davison both had tryouts for the USNTDP this offseason). He has a very advanced offensive side to his game already. He quarterbacked the power play very effectively and although I was concerned with his size he was physical AND effective with the physical part of the game. I came away very, very impressed with him. I think the only reason UW may not have jumped on him sooner may be his size, and trying to sort out in what order they want to pursue Wisconsin defensemen (Michael Kapla, Luke Davison, Cooper Watson and Tristan Rostagno and maybe a few others are future possibilities imo). It was interesting to see that Keegan Ford received a USHL tender while Luke Davison and Cooper Watson did not, and that Davison and Watson got USNTDP tryouts while Keegan Ford did not.

Jason Ford fared pretty well in the Elite League last year finishing second on Team Wisconsin Major with 9 goals and 11 assists. He was also one of three representatives from Team Wisconsin Major to play in the Bauer NIT Tournament. TW Major wasn't very good overall last year as a whole in terms of talent and how they finished in the Elite League, although I did see them hand Shattuck St. Mary's a loss early in the season in Stevens Point, which I think was the only game Shattuck lost last season. He does have a knack for scoring as he finished third in the state for goals last season and was tops in the state with 88 points last year. You can read quite a bit about his accomplishments here. I also noticed on Twitter yesterday Jason scored the game-winning goal for his team in Dubuque's intra-squad scrimmage.
            Last edited by DPlaya; 09-03-2012, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
              I saw one of Team Wisconsin Minor's games at Central Districts at the end of last season and I thought Keegan Ford outplayed both Cooper Watson and Luke Davison in that particular game (Watson & Davison both had tryouts for the USNTDP this offseason).
              Keegan Ford is better than Cooper Watson and Luke Davison right now. That said, Watson and Davison will both be D-1 players and I like their games as well. The reason why Davison and Watson got NTDP tryouts and Ford didn't is because of size. The NTDP is built to turn players into NHL'ers and for the Olympic and national teams down the road. Davison and Watson have projectable pro size.

Comment

Call it a gut feeling, but I wouldn't be surprised if UW landed Keegan Ford and Tommy Vannelli.

Comment

Just found this recent article on Badger goaltending recruit Gabe Grunwald, which is a pretty good read. I did not realize that Gabe is 6'4" tall, or that his dad is Glen Grunwald, GM of the NY Knicks.

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
                    Just found this recent article on Badger goaltending recruit Gabe Grunwald, which is a pretty good read. I did not realize that Gabe is 6'4" tall, or that his dad is Glen Grunwald, GM of the NY Knicks.
                    He's still a major ? to ever arrive on campus. I bet you the coaches will be making some trips to watch him as much as possible in the first half of the year, with their other set of eyes still evaluating other available options.

Comment

Call it a gut feeling, but I wouldn't be surprised if UW landed Keegan Ford and Tommy Vannelli.
                      It's probably been offered up here before and I missed it...Is Vannelli a brother to the kid on minnesota?

Eaves and Co. have done an outstanding job recruiting the last 1 1/2 years or so. kudos, and like Jimmy Conway says at 1:19 "Keep em comin!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG3mhtojm8Y
                      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                        It's probably been offered up here before and I missed it...Is Vannelli a brother to the kid on minnesota?

Eaves and Co. have done an outstanding job recruiting the last 1 1/2 years or so. kudos, and like Jimmy Conway says at 1:19 "Keep em comin!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG3mhtojm8Y
                        No, he is not. I believe their dads are cousins, or something like that.
                        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                          Staff has done an outstanding job getting a jump on 2014 and 2015. That said, 2013 is a major concern for me.

They need (likely) 2-3 forwards, 2 d-men, and 1 goalie. They have 1 solid d-man in Tim Davison, and a question mark forward with Corbin McGuire, and a question mark goalie with Gabe Grunwald. So that leaves them at least 1-2 more forwards, and 1 more defensemen to recruit for next fall in addition to the question marks already committed to this class.

I'm positive the staff has a plan of action here, but it's at least mildly concerning to me.

Comment

Staff has done an outstanding job getting a jump on 2014 and 2015. That said, 2013 is a major concern for me.

They need (likely) 2-3 forwards, 2 d-men, and 1 goalie. They have 1 solid d-man in Tim Davison, and a question mark forward with Corbin McGuire, and a question mark goalie with Gabe Grunwald. So that leaves them at least 1-2 more forwards, and 1 more defensemen to recruit for next fall in addition to the question marks already committed to this class.

I'm positive the staff has a plan of action here, but it's at least mildly concerning to me.
                            Maybe they'll get lucky and snag a late bloomer or two out of the USHL who are uncommitted. I agree though, especially on defense they need some talent for 2013, and goalie if Grunwald doesn't pan out.
                            Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                            Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
                            Originally posted by UWisco
                            It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
                              Maybe they'll get lucky and snag a late bloomer or two out of the USHL who are uncommitted. I agree though, especially on defense they need some talent for 2013, and goalie if Grunwald doesn't pan out.
                              The one nice thing they do have going is that Grant Besse can come in next year if they don't find a couple forwards on the market that they want for next fall. Remember that he's a more talented kid than Christian Horn from the same team that the Gophers are bringing in now (Horn is better defensively, and probably more ready for the college game but the point remains).

I'm planning on going to see Besse a few different times this fall in the Elite League to see how he's progressed from last year. There's no reason that he shouldn't be the best player in the league/state. I hope that is a motivator, and not a reason for him to get lazy.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                                No, he is not. I believe their dads are cousins, or something like that.
                                I'm glad you didn't say his mom and dad are cousins, now if they were from Nodak I could see it.
                                If at first you don't succeed, try cheating.

Comment

Working...
                                X