The College Hockey History Book Project Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The College Hockey History Book Project Thread

As some of you may or may not know, I have been debating about whether or not to put the research that I've done down on paper, and write a history of college hockey book. As opposed to filling up the Greatest Coach thread with talk about the book, I figured I would open up a thread specifically for it. At this point, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to put something together, and any and all help will be greatly appreciated, and necessary. There are already a few who have said that would help out, but I will take whatever help I can get. My goal is to keep the book around 300-350 pages, although that could be very difficult given the abundance of information that is out there.

Given that, I'm curious, what would you want in a book about the history of college hockey? What are the things that could not be left out? As this project will likely last quite awhile, I am open to any and all feedback and will try to write something that will appeal to our niche sport market. I have no fantasies about this being a huge seller, and I'm largely doing it for two reasons, the first being that I love college hockey, and the second is that I love history.

So please, feel free to comment and ask questions. I am hoping for a lively discussion this offseason.

Thank you in advance
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Re: The College Hockey History Book Project Thread

I always want to know the "why" behind the facts.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
      I always want to know the "why" behind the facts.
      That can often be a very difficult task, but I'm hoping I'll be able to answer a lot of those why questions. Considering that I'll ideally be starting in the late 19th Century, some of the very early stuff could be difficult to get. I'm thinking that anything post-WWII should be doable though. Fortunately, I have access to some really great historical material.
      North Dakota

Comment

you are Frank Wilson????!!
        Originally posted by mtu_huskies
        "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
        Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
        Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
          That can often be a very difficult task, but I'm hoping I'll be able to answer a lot of those why questions. Considering that I'll ideally be starting in the late 19th Century, some of the very early stuff could be difficult to get. I'm thinking that anything post-WWII should be doable though. Fortunately, I have access to some really great historical material.
          Sounds like a lot of library time with little reward for your effort... I'd have to wonder if/what were any NCAA precursors... I'd have to think history up until 1990 would have interest... contemporary things tend not to be as interesting, mostly as we don't see it as historical. I'd wonder how finding players (recruiting) has evolved... you'd have to focus on controversies and personalities for sure. If it were to capture me I think some focus should be more on behind the scenes... how were some of the programs put together, what was a game day in the 1960s... for a player, for a fan, for a six year old.

I don't know what you're going for, but I think it'd be nice to see stories of the time and behind the times more than anything else.
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

I like the idea of going back to the late 1800s and early 1900s because I don't know nearly enough about what college hockey was like back then. For me personally, the further back you go, the more interested I become. From there, I'd be interested in pretty much any narrative of college hockey- the best teams/dynasties, the best coaches, the best games, the best rivalries, changes in recruiting, changes in player development, changes in the game itself, changes in conferences, changes in college hockey's relationship with the NHL. I imagine it would be pretty much impossible to include a comprehensive overview of all of that, so I'm not sure if it would be better to cover a little bit of everything or just go really in-depth on a couple topics.
            Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Great ideas everyone...this was exactly what I was looking for.

Recruiting may be a bit difficult, although I'm not sure if the same rules that currently are in place (mainly that school officials can't talk about recruits until they have signed an LOI) were in place.

I'm really not too worried about finding anything post-WWII, and there is already one poster that has put in nearly two decades of research into Pre-WWII college hockey that has volunteered for the project, so hopefully they will be an excellent contributor.

One thing that I think would be fun/interesting would be to have a few different posters write up a piece about a selected area of their interest and include that in the book. Ideally they would be about 6-8 pages, but I would take anything. If you are interested in this particular part, please let me know. As has been said, it's the "behind the scenes" stuff that really piques the interest of most of us. A lot of that doesn't come from historical sources other than first hand accounts.

Anyway, please keep the ideas coming. Thanks
              North Dakota

Comment

One thing that I think would be fun/interesting would be to have a few different posters write up a piece about a selected area of their interest and include that in the book. Ideally they would be about 6-8 pages, but I would take anything. If you are interested in this particular part, please let me know. As has been said, it's the "behind the scenes" stuff that really piques the interest of most of us. A lot of that doesn't come from historical sources other than first hand accounts.
                I'd definitely be interested in helping with this, too. I'd feel most comfortable doing something Hockey East-related just because I'm already familiar with the league and would have the access. Topics that come to mind right away are the Beanpot, the formation of HE, and the BU-BC rivalry. I'll give it some more thought, though. Feel free to add any suggestions.
                Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                  I'd definitely be interested in helping with this, too. I'd feel most comfortable doing something Hockey East-related just because I'm already familiar with the league and would have the access. Topics that come to mind right away are the Beanpot, the formation of HE, and the BU-BC rivalry. I'll give it some more thought, though. Feel free to add any suggestions.
                  Beanpot, HE creation and BU-BC rivalry would be great articles. I would pick the Beanpot or the formation of HE, as the BU-BC rivalry will most likely get discussed throughout the book. I think the York-Parker relationship could be pretty interesting, or you could always pick something like the Travis Roy incident and go in depth. There is a lot to pick from.
                  North Dakota

Comment

Beanpot, HE creation and BU-BC rivalry would be great articles. I would pick the Beanpot or the formation of HE, as the BU-BC rivalry will most likely get discussed throughout the book. I think the York-Parker relationship could be pretty interesting, or you could always pick something like the Travis Roy incident and go in depth. There is a lot to pick from.
                    Bernie Corbett already wrote a history of the Beanpot published by NU Press in 2002, so I would prefer more on the formation of HE and the interlocking schedule with the WCHA.

Maybe Ralph would be interested in writing a history of the oldest in-season tournament, the RPI Invitational. Or is there a book on it that I missed?

Another idea is a piece on college hockey publications, including The Intercollegiate Hockey Newsletter. I also have some that focused on eastern hockey and the WCHA.

Sean
                    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                    BU Hockey highlights and extras
                    NCAA Hockey Financials
                    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                      Bernie Corbett already wrote a history of the Beanpot published by NU Press in 2002, so I would prefer more on the formation of HE and the interlocking schedule with the WCHA.

Maybe Ralph would be interested in writing a history of the oldest in-season tournament, the RPI Invitational. Or is there a book on it that I missed?

Another idea is a piece on college hockey publications, including The Intercollegiate Hockey Newsletter. I also have some that focused on eastern hockey and the WCHA.

Sean
                      Sean, thanks, but I am a terrible writer. I don't think that there is a book about the RPI Tourney (which by the way won't be played in the upcoming season). There was a writeup in the RPI Alumni Magazine sometime back, and it is discussed in Kurt Stutt's book.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                        Good point. I'm also pretty interested in the formation of the league and the interlocking schedule, so that's definitely a strong possibility.

Comment

Sioux
                          I can put you in touch with a PSU student who just wrote a paper on the early history of Penn State varsity hockey prior to 1947.
                          Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

I would definitely like to know more about the behind-the-scenes machinations that culminated in the various conference realignments, mergers, and splits over the years. Who were the key players, what were their motivations, did they get what they wanted, were there unintended consequences?
                            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

So far, all of my ideas have been posted, but do make sure that you have a focus of the point. If you try to cover everything, it will be pretty dilluted.

But what I did want to comment on was price/cost. I'm pretty sure you won't be doing this for free. I just can't see that being possible. So no matter how well you know someone, you need to charge them some nominal cost to buy the book. Like I said, I would rather you put money and effort into it, and pay a real cost than see you do this as an obsessive hobby and try to give it away. Real effort does mean some kind of monitary rewards for it, so keep that in mind- even for a e-book, you should plan on charging some money. Start a DBA, track your expenses and costs, and that way the sales can be offical, and minimal real tax.

anyway, get back to the content discussion.

Comment

Working...
                              X