Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do new TV contracts effect College Hockey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do new TV contracts effect College Hockey?

The Pac-12 just signed a $3 billion contract which I believe does not include revenue from its new network.

The Big 12 got a new deal.

The Big East will get a new more lucrative deal I believe next year.

The Big 10(12) has a new conference championship game which I'm sure is going to bring in a lot of TV money.

So it looks like AD departments around the country are going to be getting more TV revenue. The question is could some of this money be used to fund and accelerate the growth of existing programs such as UCONN and Prov and maybe help establish it at schools that could/are starting a program Penn St, Indiana, hopefully an interested school in the PAC-12.

Also the NHL signed a big deal with NBC to get exclusive TV rights for their games to be broadcast on NBC and the new reincarnation of VS which will be called NBCU. Could this new channel maybe pick up some college games to fill in programming and compete with ESPN in college sports coverage. VS already caries the IIHF world championships and I wouldn't be surprised if they buy the US rights to the World Juniors in the next few years. Maybe the could even bid on the NCAA tourney. Anyway this is all speculation but this is the early part of the off season

Re: How do new TV contracts effect College Hockey?

they will spend it on the football and basketball teams.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

No effect whatsoever.

Start a new thread when the CCHA gets a nice new TV contract...
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Speaking from a UConn perspective, the amount of money going to ice hockey will be a drop in the bucket.

The drop will be normal sized, and the bucket will be Gampel Pavilion.
        UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Several of the NHL's more successful franchises are located in cities where natural ice does not exist, but this has not prevented fans from attending games or watching televised games. It may be that hockey is a good enough spectator sport that it does not have to depend upon fans from the frozen north to make money. Ice hockey may even be sufficiently enjoyable as a spectator sport to compete financially with the ball games.

Comment

I thought I had heard the WCHA was attempting to get more games on television somehow someway.
            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Look at what PSU is spending to start up hockey - somewhere in the neighborhood of $80M, I believe (fact check me?). The payouts from these TV deals are on the order of $10M per school per year. So the schools would have to save every penny of their payouts for 8 years (okay, 7 with decent investments) to get there. Do you really think any of these schools, who are making this money strictly because of the popularity of their football and basketball programs, will choose to do that?

No, they will not.

If future expansion of hockey into the SEC/PAC10/Big12 markets occurs, it will continue to be be due to large, directed gifts from individual patrons, not via incremental revenue increases that would be split across the existing sports.
              Last edited by LynahFan; 05-04-2011, 07:00 AM.
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                Look at what PSU is spending to start up hockey - somewhere in the neighborhood of $80M, I believe (fact check me?).
                Number sounds about right, however, didn't they receive a lot of money from an individual? (you probably eluded to that later in your post)

What school in the PAC10 or even SEC would pursue a hockey team? Utah might from the PAC10 (I can only dream the Ducks would), Alabama might from the SEC due to Huntsville already having a team. The Big12 has more viable options in Colorado and even Iowa State. I don't see hockey coming from any of those conferences.
                THE University of North Dakota FIGHTING SIOUX

National Championships:
                1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000

WCHA Regular Season Championships:
                1958, 1963, 1965, 1967, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2009, 2011

Fan of:
                University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux Hockey
                University of Oregon Ducks Football
                San Francisco Giants
                Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Originally posted by Roben View Post
                  Number sounds about right, however, didn't they receive a lot of money from an individual? (you probably eluded to that later in your post)
                  Terry Pegula donated ALL of that money to PSU. First he bought his alma mater a hockey arena, then he bought himself a hockey team when he plunked down another ~$175mil to purchase the Buffalo Sabres.
                  Can't we all just get along?
                  Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                    Terry Pegula donated ALL of that money to PSU. First he bought his alma mater a hockey arena, then he bought himself a hockey team when he plunked down another ~$175mil to purchase the Buffalo Sabres.
                    I wonder if Pegula ever swims in a silo of money, Scrooge McDuck-style.
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                      I wonder if Pegula ever swims in a silo of money, Scrooge McDuck-style.
                      Don't complain. At least one of the wealthy elite is donating and investing his wealth in the U.S.A. rather than buying gold or foreign currency. Hockey is a more productive investment than $10,000 shower curtains and the like.

Comment

oops

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                          they will spend it on the football and basketball teams.
                          Not necessarily. The Athletic Departments are making a lot more money now. The Pac-10(12) basically quadrupled TV revenue for most of its schools. Other conferences while maybe not getting as much will get great deals.

If you are a school who has this increase in money and has a nearby ice rink that you could get a good deal on using think UMiami, USF, NCState,Seton hall, UCLA, USC, or Northwestern to name a few. These schools could start a program without having to field as large an initial investment as Penn State has gotten. They could make a rink deal build up a little local support and start offering some scholarships. Give the programs a few years to grow and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                            Not necessarily. The Athletic Departments are making a lot more money now. The Pac-10(12) basically quadrupled TV revenue for most of its schools. Other conferences while maybe not getting as much will get great deals.

If you are a school who has this increase in money and has a nearby ice rink that you could get a good deal on using think UMiami, USF, NCState,Seton hall, UCLA, USC, or Northwestern to name a few. These schools could start a program without having to field as large an initial investment as Penn State has gotten. They could make a rink deal build up a little local support and start offering some scholarships. Give the programs a few years to grow and see what happens.
                            Many of those schools will spend that money on baseball, which is the 3rd money making sport in the south and west.
                            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Working...
                            X