Irish hockey: JACC we hardly knew ye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish hockey: JACC we hardly knew ye

The only tolerable thing about the end of college hockey season is playoff time in the NHL. While this past season was a pleasant surprise, I wish ND could have played just one more game. I guess that's what next season is for...

So...looking ahead to next season, ND should be in a pod with BG, FSU, OSU and UAF. They could conceivably play 37 games, as 3 of their games are exempt (2 at UA[F] and the HOF game against Minnesota). We will see WMU, Miami and Michigan here, but travel to E. Lansing, the Soo and Marquette. Coach Jackson alluded to a New Year's Eve game here against BU and possibly a series here with Northeastern that could see the return of Dr. Craig. There is also that game against BC in the works. Rumor is that's the game that opens the Compton Family Center.

ND starts the season at defending national champs UMD October 7-8. Then RPI visits South Bend for a single game on October 21st. The new arena is scheduled to open a few days prior to this, but (no offense towards RPI), I can't see this being the "grand opening" game. I would think (hope) that honor would be reserved for a hated opponent (Miami, Michigan, BC spring to mind). If the rink is a go in October, the last weekend is a possibility, but the football team is at home, so a single game against BC that Friday (10/28) or a Thursday-Friday series with Michigan or Miami (or whoever) could accommodate the almighty.

ND travels to the UP to play NMU the first weekend in November, then returns home to face UA(F) the following weekend. ND plays Minnesota in the Hall of Fame game. This game should be January 7 and will likely be outdoors. ND travels to Alaska the last weekend in January. Since I will be climbing my first mountain next summer, I could use either of those weekends to get used to the cold (granted flying to Minnesota is cheaper and quicker than travel to the 49th state).

Looking back, I wanted to try a little Campbellnomics with ND's returning major players. For those of you not familiar with Campbellnomics, Ken Campbell is a writer for The Hockey News. He looks at all the goals scored in the NHL and rates them relative to the jump they give a team (1st goal, tying goal, go ahead goal, etc.). As for Notre Dame's returnees, Anders Lee ranks #1 with 35 points for the importance of his goals. T.J. Tynan is 2nd with 26 points. Jeff Costello comes next with 20, followed by Nick Larson with 13, Billy Maday with 10, Riley Sheahan with 9, David Gerths-8, Sean Lorenz-6, Bryan Rust-5, Sam Calabrese-4 and Stephen Johns-2.

It's a mere 24 weeks til ND begins their next season. In the coming months we can speculate on who will be the captains (I've already got my letter-wearers picked), who will be the next Ryan Guentzel, and who will be the next dynamic freshman...or freshmen. Can't wait.
    Last edited by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres.; 04-24-2011, 12:49 AM.
    "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Re: Irish hockey: JACC we hardly knew ye

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
    Then RPI visits South Bend for a single game on October 21st. The new arena is scheduled to open a few days prior to this, but (no offense towards RPI), I can't see this being the "grand opening" game. I would think (hope) that honor would be reserved for a hated opponent (Miami, Michigan, BC spring to mind). If the rink is a go in October, the last weekend is a possibility, but the football team is at home, so a single game against BC that Friday (10/28) or a Thursday-Friday series with Michigan or Miami (or whoever) could accommodate the almighty.

A bunch of my RPI friends and I are thinking of making the trip out to South Bend for the game on the 21st. We'd love to be the first opponent in the new arena...though I guess that decision is up to the Athletic department. (That said, beating BC would be a great way to open a new arena.)

We did have a question about Notre Dame football tickets. Obviously the fact that it is USC/Notre Dame means it's a tough ticket. What's the best ("inexpensive") way to get tickets for the game? Stub Hub has upper end zone nosebleeds starting at $350 each. Is that realistic, or are their cheaper alternatives? I'm guessing that the ticket office completely sells out the game between season ticket holders, alums, and current students. Thanks.
    RPI Pep Band Ex-Ex-Ex-...-Ex Conductor

RPI Hockey 1954, 1985
    UConn Basketball 1999, 2004, 2011, 2014

Comment

I hadn't realized we had moved on yet to the latest off-season edition of Notre Dame hockey on USCHO

While some former Irish skaters are golfing, some are still winning hockey games, like the trio of former Irish players who helped Milwaukee advance in the AHL playoffs.

This may be an off-season of rumors and rampant speculation. We may not only have players who are coveted, but coaches as well! I expect little or nothing to change before the puck drops in the fall, though. There is much for the coaches to work with over the spring and summer, and knowing how Jackson works, I expect most of the weaknesses evident this past season to be eliminated. With so many new faces in the mix, the usual break in periods weren't possible, and there were a lot of minutes skated where pure talent and trial by fire were the things to rely on. Now with a year's worth of games to draw upon, I look for a more typical looking Jackson team to emerge pretty quickly next season. The sky truly is the limit for this collection of players. There isn't a single thing they CAN'T accomplish.

Originally posted by Timmah! View Post
      We did have a question about Notre Dame football tickets. Obviously the fact that it is USC/Notre Dame means it's a tough ticket. What's the best ("inexpensive") way to get tickets for the game? Stub Hub has upper end zone nosebleeds starting at $350 each. Is that realistic, or are their cheaper alternatives? I'm guessing that the ticket office completely sells out the game between season ticket holders, alums, and current students. Thanks.
      The best way is to hope that Notre Dame is 3-3 coming into this game and not 6-0. The secondary market surrounding Notre Dame Stadium (AKA scalpers) is usually an easy way to get tickets if you want to wait until gameday, and especially game time. I know people who attend games every year and the only way they get tickets is through the scalpers right up to kick-off. Regardless of the records of either team the Notre Dame/USC game is always a marquee event on the schedule, though. And you guess correctly about tickets, Notre Dame games are always officially "sold out" by game time. The USC game will have no tickets available via Notre Dame unless the visiting team returns a portion of the allotment they request in the weeks prior to the game, something that has happened often enough in recent seasons. Again, for a game like USC IF that happens, those will go quickly and likely be gone before most are aware of their availability.

Comment

Here's a time lapse video of the new arena courtesy of NDNation's posters.

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Timmah! View Post
          Stub Hub has upper end zone nosebleeds starting at $350 each.
          It's a rough ticket to get if you don't want to risk finding a scalper dumping tickets. Always been worth it for me, except 2007, we aren't going to talk about that.

Comment

http://theahl.com/

Our hockey alums in the AHL are having a great postseason Calder Cup chase. Follow Binghamton and Milwaukee during the division finals.

Comment

Members of the hockey program toured the CFC.

Comment

Members of the hockey program toured the CFC.
                And the members of this hockey program will officially "dedicate" the Compton Family Center with a game against Boston College on November 18th. No word if this will be the first game at the new place, but one would hope the first 7 weeks of the season would not be played on the road or at the Joyce Center. The building is still supposed to be ready October 18th. I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking this day would never come.

Comment

For the 4th year in a row, there will be a team with ties to the Notre Dame hockey program competing for the Stanley Cup. Last year Brad Aldrich was the video coordinator for the Blackhawks (and was the first to notify the bench that Kane's shot did win the Cup) after leaving that position here. The prior year saw Mark Eaton hoist the Cup with the Pens and before that Brett Lebda did the same with the Wings. This year, either Vancouver will make the final round with Victor Oreskovich on their roster or San Jose will. Remember that Kevin Compton is part owner of the Sharks and big contributor to our beloved program.

Comment

What's up with ND travelling to Oxford for our series against Miami?! That makes two seasons in a row that we've had to play there. (I'm taking out last season in this equation as we were in the same cluster) If that is etched in stone, then the chain reaction starts of some other team having to come here 2 seasons in a row...

Comment

welcome to 11 team ccha scheduling...

Comment

Originally posted by billmich88888 View Post
                        welcome to 11 team ccha scheduling...
                        That has no bearing on home and away, only on bye or OOC weekends while the other 10 play each other. ND should have home series against Miami, Michigan and WMU and away series at LSSU, MSU and NMU. The others are in our cluster, so those are home and away.

Comment

Finally finished editing my full take from the Frozen Four - http://bit.ly/2011F4

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
                          HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
                          HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

That has no bearing on home and away, only on bye or OOC weekends while the other 10 play each other. ND should have home series against Miami, Michigan and WMU and away series at LSSU, MSU and NMU. The others are in our cluster, so those are home and away.
                            You are incorrect about the clusters. It's kind of strange with 11 teams, but there are now 2 clusters. This year's groupings:
                            "Cluster A": Lake Superior, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Northern Michigan, Ohio State.
                            "Cluster B": Alaska, Bowling Green, Ferris State, Notre Dame, Western Michigan.

(I don't really know what to call the clusters; I guess it's better than the "Leaders" cluster and the "Legends" cluster.)

Obviously, with 6 teams in "Cluster A", that's too many games if you play everybody in your cluster four times, so they pair up the 6 teams and one pair plays each other only twice--Lake Superior/Michigan, Miami/Michigan State, and Northern Michigan/Ohio State only play each other one series each.

What this means for Notre Dame (since I am posting on a Notre Dame thread) is that ND has 4 games against Alaska, Bowling Green, Ferris State and Western Michigan. Notre Dame will have 2 home games against Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State, with 2 away games against Lake Superior, Miami and Northern Michigan.
                            Last edited by Alton; 05-17-2011, 09:27 AM.

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

--The Montreal Gazette, March 4, 1875.

Comment

Originally posted by Alton View Post
                              You are incorrect about the clusters. It's kind of strange with 11 teams, but there are now 2 clusters. This year's groupings:
                              "Cluster A": Lake Superior, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Northern Michigan, Ohio State.
                              "Cluster B": Alaska, Bowling Green, Ferris State, Notre Dame, Western Michigan.

(I don't really know what to call the clusters; I guess it's better than the "Leaders" cluster and the "Legends" cluster.)

Obviously, with 6 teams in "Cluster A", that's too many games if you play everybody in your cluster four times, so they pair up the 6 teams and one pair plays each other only twice--Lake Superior/Michigan, Miami/Michigan State, and Northern Michigan/Ohio State only play each other one series each.

What this means for Notre Dame (since I am posting on a Notre Dame thread) is that ND has 4 games against Alaska, Bowling Green, Ferris State and Western Michigan. Notre Dame will have 2 home games against Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State, with 2 away games against Lake Superior, Miami and Northern Michigan.
                              Odd that that explains a lot and nothing at the same time. Thanks for the clarification as I thought OSU would be part of our cluster, not WMU.

Comment

Working...
                              X