X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CWHL expands to Alberta

Philanthropy to the rescue:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2105431/

A Calgary women, bitten by the hockey bug and her mother’s love of the game, has made a $2-million donation to support women’s hockey in Canada.

WinSport Canada, the sport development group based out of Canada Olympic Park in Calgary, said at a Thursday news conference that philanthropist Joan Snyder of Calgary was giving the money, a private donation which will give female hockey players priority access to one of the four rinks within the newly-created $231-million Athletic and Ice Complex at COP.

-----

The cash infusion has also given the Canadian Women’s Hockey League the opportunity to expand into Western Canada. Team Alberta will make their league debut in 2011-12 joining. Toronto, Montreal, Boston, Brampton, Ont., and Burlington, Ont. Alberta, led by Olympian Meghan Mikkelson and national team player Bobbi Jo Slusar, will receive free practice time on the Joan Snyder Rink.
    Now they just need somebody to provide free plane tickets.

(Snyder has also given $9M to the University of Calgary's medical research lab in addition to many other causes in the past).
    Last edited by west; 07-21-2011, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Seems Hockey Canada is all a twitter about the CWHL Draft...

https://twitter.com/#!/HC_TeamCanada

Comment

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
        Seems Hockey Canada is all a twitter about the CWHL Draft...

https://twitter.com/#!/HC_TeamCanada
        A draft is a great way to help balance out the talent of a league to ensure parity. And nothing says parity like having the league champions add Agosta and Ward with their first two picks. (And with Ward and Duggan going 7th and 8th, the two best players in the draft fell out of the first round. Talk about steals)!
        Last edited by west; 07-21-2011, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by west View Post
          A draft is a great way to help balance out the talent of a league to ensure parity. And nothing says parity like having the league champions add Agosta and Ward with their first two picks. (And with Ward and Duggan going 7th and 8th, the two best players in the draft fell out of the first round. Talk about steals)!
          Well, it isn't really a draft. If it were you wouldn't see Olympians falling conveniently to a spot where their hometown team could pick them.
          "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Regardless...don't lose sight of the fact that it's being promoted by Hockey Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
              Well, it isn't really a draft. If it were you wouldn't see Olympians falling conveniently to a spot where their hometown team could pick them.
              Yeah, I was being facetious. But if drafting players that were already pre-determined to go where they were drafted anyway (Alberta should have tried to steal a couple players and saved picking Mikkelson and Slusar until the later rounds) gets HC involved then I guess it can't be all bad, even if it's transparent.

Comment

and there you have it...

http://cwhl.ca/news.asp?id=76

Comment

OMG...watta farce...Answer me this oh wise ones...how does the team that wins the league and playoff championship get the first overall pick!!?? How many typos of girls' names can you report? (Beth Clauso and Kaatie Stack???) How does Calgary get the last 25 or so picks?? And who are these players anyway? Never heard of about 90% of them?

Now that I've had my morning laugh!!!

Hope this winfall of $$$ is well spent and not given to anyone associated with the CW or the big "Owe"!!!

Comment

All those players had the option to play where they wanted to. None of those players were going to be selected by anyone but those teams. It was a way for the league to make the draft appear to be legitimate.

How do I get into contact with this woman from Calgary...I mean, since she wants to just flush her money down the tubes..lol

Comment

Originally posted by brokentwigg View Post
                      All those players had the option to play where they wanted to. None of those players were going to be selected by anyone but those teams. It was a way for the league to make the draft appear to be legitimate.

How do I get into contact with this woman from Calgary...I mean, since she wants to just flush her money down the tubes..lol
                      All the team in Alberta is getting is icetime?? They still need cash to get to Ontario, Quebec and Massachusetts and vice versa!! With this cash infusion, now is the time to get people in their who can run this thing out of the ground so more sponsors will step to the plate!

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
                        OMG...watta farce...Answer me this oh wise ones...how does the team that wins the league and playoff championship get the first overall pick!!??
                        Because Agosta is living in Montreal and they wanted her to be the 1st Overall pick, so Montreal picks first.

Originally posted by brokentwigg View Post
                        All the team in Alberta is getting is icetime?? They still need cash to get to Ontario, Quebec and Massachusetts and vice versa!! With this cash infusion, now is the time to get people in their who can run this thing out of the ground so more sponsors will step to the plate!
                        Ice time is all it is. Snyder isn't giving money to the team, she basically bought all the ice times for one of the rinks at the AIC in order to give it to girls teams in Calgary, one of which will be the CWHL team evidently. Small victories I suppose. And from what I understand the team is very much an 'Alberta' team so only about half the practices will be in Calgary, the other half will be in Edmonton (how the ice time gets paid for up there is a different matter. Maybe Darryl Katz is in a giving mood as well, he's paying the Oilers to play "hockey" afterall).

Comment

Because Agosta is living in Montreal and they wanted her to be the 1st Overall pick, so Montreal picks first.

Ice time is all it is. Snyder isn't giving money to the team, she basically bought all the ice times for one of the rinks at the AIC in order to give it to girls teams in Calgary, one of which will be the CWHL team evidently. Small victories I suppose. And from what I understand the team is very much an 'Alberta' team so only about half the practices will be in Calgary, the other half will be in Edmonton (how the ice time gets paid for up there is a different matter. Maybe Darryl Katz is in a giving mood as well, he's paying the Oilers to play "hockey" afterall).
                          Oh come now Westie...those Oilers are rapidly climbing up the charts and will continue to do so if....

1.) They don't go Maple Leaf and trade Ebs, Parjaarvi, Hall et all for rapidly aging (aka deteriorating) players like the Leafs have done for several decades and,

2.) The affiliate up with the Leafs in order for the Leafs to supply much needed NHL calibre players to be called upon...if that is even possible by Leaf standards

All this information is being kept behind closed doors as usual per CWHL/OWHA policy....

Oh Seymore..one more spelling mistake of note....it's Van Der Bliek and not Banderbliek...may lord, how bush is that?????? And don't tell me ladies that it was a typo...cause there is about 15 that I can see!!!

Comment

Some of the names on that list, ugla.

Comment

Originally posted by CanHockGuy View Post
                              Some of the names on that list, ugla.
                              Another lame *** attempt at legitimacy!!!! But let's look at the positives.....not a 30+ round draft this year and by what I can see...no RECREATIONAL players were drafted....oh wait....

Comment

Congratulations to Kristen "Ouch" Miyauchi as she goes 99th in the draft!

Comment

Working...
                                X