Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CWHL expands to Alberta

Originally posted by brokentwigg View Post
    As you are in the "west" you probably have not been around long enough to understand the issues surrounding this league and if you don't know who the "puppet master" is, well, then you are even more out of the loop than first imagined.
    I guess I am. I've known all the kinds of narcissism that come from people wanting control but I never got the impression that was the case here. I always figured the league's shortcomings stemmed from the powers that be just wanting to please too many people and being in over their head as a result. I've worked with both kinds but admittedly I only have my perception from way out here so I could be way off; the league just seems to hapless and disorganized to have a control-hungry directorate.

1.) If you are going to have a draft, have a proper draft!! Don't have one for what the league envisions as "historic". There was nothing historic about this draft and it was totally publicity geared. It was a submitted list of players...no recruiting was done by the league whatsoever. Yes, they have a "Director of Scouting" now who hasn't been to a college game in 3+ years!! You want to talk legitimacy??
    Agreed, it was basically a lame publicity stunt to bring one particular player to the spotlight but it at least got talk I suppose. Could have been worse, they could have had a televised "war room" and shots of all the players waiting to be picked.

2.) Don't confirm something to the players that has not been confirmed! Players were told that there would be salaries and even that GM's and Coaches were told that they were going to get paid. They were told that the "money is coming" and yes, that is a direct quote! Guess what, nothing came and as I told one Coach, I hope he got it in writing!
    That is indeed amateur in more ways than one but I guess I've become used to this kind of bs with the various organizations I've been involved with. It's a sad commentary on the state of 'amateur' sport when I've become such a cynic that my first reaction isn't "that sucks" but is instead "you should have known better."

The problem with the CWHL was that a few players took a position of control and undermined the process of "legitimacy"!! There were meetings whereby the financial status of the league was explained and it was dire, and someone player, no names mentioned, decides to ask for 15k for a dressing room. The problem back then was that some egos were hurt because they were told what should be done, and they did not like it!!
    I think what happens here is the same thing that happens everywhere, especially with egos. You'll have the ones who tell it like it is and the way it should be, and the ones who tell it the way they wish it would be. I'd have a tough time believing that certain players ignored all the advice they were getting, I imagine they simply weren't smart with who they chose to listen to.

The time that they could have capitalized on the 2010 Olympics is long gone!! They also were misguided in the fact that they figured 15,000 fans at the Olympics would transcend into record crowds at their games. We get more people watching my kids HL games!! What they should do...and this is an easy business decision..is stop wasting money on those beautiful season's passes...and allow everyone in for free!!!! Sponsors do not care about the 20 people in the stands who paid $5!! They care about how many people are there PERIOD. And if that means having free admission to get people in, then that is what you should do.
    I think its the third time that they've mis-managed the post-Olympic boom but some teams (the ones with the Olympians) have at least been able to salvage something every now and then. I think we have the same mindset, just go about explaining it in different ways I suppose (then again I'm far away from the problems and frustrations). There's no reason that every one of these games shouldn't be packed with young hockey players but they're obviously falling into the same problem that every women's league falls into (that it's an alternative to the big boys) and forgetting who their target is. It's as if they think they have the young girls as 'in the seat' when it's definitely not the case. They've got it to a point, but nowhere near good enough.

No matter what the CWHL leadership says...NO, I repeat NO NHL affiliation is on the way! There are NHL teams in trouble financially and there are no fewer than 4 teams with "For Sale" signs on them. They have their own financial issues to deal with nevermind throw a $1 million at the CWHL. As Brian Burke stated, they would rather throw money at 1000 female players at the amateur level than to financially support one hundred women with a paycheck!!! So, we will continue to hear the CWHL preach about "dialogue" with the NHL...and it is just that..nothing more!
    It was always a pipe dream to try and team up with the NHL, trying to affiliate with an individual NHL team could work in a certain capacity but I doubt the CWHL would be overly pleased with what that is. Helping out 1000 girls is definitely better, but if a team thought that helping the league operate (not in paying players, but at least operating with a professional mentality) could provide a good PR boost as well they'd do it. But that would require butts in the seats.

One last thing...why do we even have "centralization"?? The National Women's team is the only HC entity that does this. It cannot be because the Women's side is overly competitive because it is not. It's the same thing over and over..Canada vs. US. Take the money that would be saved from axing centralization and put it back into the women's game at the grassroots level.
    Since the Olympics let the pros in the need for a 'centralized' men's national team died away, that's why the women's NT is the only one that still does it. Most of the money used for centralization comes from sponsors who expect the team to win gold and the rest comes through Olympic funding for centralization. Winsport and OTP don't care about the grassroots in an Olympic year, they're paying for results. The U.S. may be the only real competition but so long as all the money being made available is being provided to win that game against them you've got to do what it takes to beat them.

Comment

Originally posted by Save the Jets View Post
      We just loaned the idea to them; the whiteout will return to its rightful owners....The Manitoba Blizzard. But I really can't figure out what it all has do do with Spassky or Fischer.
      Let me be the first to congratulate! You really did Save the Jets! Welcome home!

Comment

So as I was watching the TV yesterday, I caught women's softball on ESPN....now I know I saw ASU win the NC last week so why was there more softball on? It seems that the old WPSL is now National Pro Fastpitch, or something to that effect...a league with 4 teams that pay women to play softball....of course they DO have support from MLB as does the WNBA as we have discussed on this thread before.... my question is so why can't the NHL get with the program? I have to believe that Jan Stephenson had the answer....for those of us old enough, she once did a photo shoot and was lambasted for allowing her sexuality to compromise her athleticism....however it seems now that when women compete, especially on TV they have to be in leotards or taught uni's rather then wearing protective gear to protect themselves from their sport....hell, even women's lacross has their participants exposed more then is smart, (yes I know you never see it on TV)...while I will be the first to appreciate our women's attractiveness , as they will of the men's teams, it really sticks in my craw that no one is willing to give our women hockey players a future.....and no I have no daughter or family in sports......it just bugs me!

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
          So as I was watching the TV yesterday, I caught women's softball on ESPN....now I know I saw ASU win the NC last week so why was there more softball on? It seems that the old WPSL is now National Pro Fastpitch, or something to that effect...a league with 4 teams that pay women to play softball....of course they DO have support from MLB as does the WNBA as we have discussed on this thread before.... my question is so why can't the NHL get with the program? I have to believe that Jan Stephenson had the answer....for those of us old enough, she once did a photo shoot and was lambasted for allowing her sexuality to compromise her athleticism....however it seems now that when women compete, especially on TV they have to be in leotards or taught uni's rather then wearing protective gear to protect themselves from their sport....hell, even women's lacross has their participants exposed more then is smart, (yes I know you never see it on TV)...while I will be the first to appreciate our women's attractiveness , as they will of the men's teams, it really sticks in my craw that no one is willing to give our women hockey players a future.....and no I have no daughter or family in sports......it just bugs me!
          Apparently, and long over due, the sh*t is about to hit the fan!!

The players are upset with a few decisions that have been made over the course of the last month as well as the sweetheart deal SJS negotiated for herself with a Canadian Corporation rather than have league involvement!! Can you say "Conflict of Interest".

As well, the right honorable BA has appointed herself the title of "Commissioner"!!! Do not be surprised if monster changes are made at the top and some "old" faces are brought back to get this league on track!!!

Stay tuned as it should be interesting!!

Comment

Assuming your info ois accurate Brokentwigg, I'm glad to hear it.....whomever the powers that be are, they have to press the NHL to pony up and act like the rest of their peirs, as Big Brothers , to help get the women's leagues off the ground......maybe a few women CEO's can step forward and help their Sisterhood as well.....

Comment

Apparently, and long over due, the sh*t is about to hit the fan!!

The players are upset with a few decisions that have been made over the course of the last month as well as the sweetheart deal SJS negotiated for herself with a Canadian Corporation rather than have league involvement!! Can you say "Conflict of Interest".

As well, the right honorable BA has appointed herself the title of "Commissioner"!!! Do not be surprised if monster changes are made at the top and some "old" faces are brought back to get this league on track!!!

Stay tuned as it should be interesting!!
              Brokentwigg, keep us posted on this! Mrs 86 and I are hoping to make some more road trips to TO this coming season for some CWHL games.

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                Women's lacrosse chooses not to wear helmets, because they don't want to encourage the more reckless play that would occur. It's really much like the oft-debated face shield mandate in hockey, only they've chosen to go the other direction. Now frankly, I think women's lacrosse is a crappy sport anyway, but that's because it's essentially freeze tag with sticks.

As for the rest, frankly I don't think the NBA should be subsidizing the WNBA anymore - it's time to let it sink or swim on its own. And MLB is likely only subsidizing softball in order to try to get back into the Olympics. I doubt the NHL has the money to burn that the NBA does, nor does it need to prop up its olympic support, being the only real team sport in the Winter Games.

Comment

Despite what Barb Andress and Sami Jo Small say...the NHL will not pony up the dough for the CWHL! The point was made two years ago that they had "no" business plan!!

The WNBA deal has been a colossal failure for the NBA and Brian Burke himself stated that they would not support a women's pro league in a financial way. What they would do is support 1000 girls at the grassroots level rather than 100 "pro" women. That is from Burke himself and even though I really do not care for the guy, he carries some weight within the NHL!!

Players...do not believe what they are saying about getting paid to play. It ain't happening and probably never will!! C'mon, they are asking you to pay $50 bucks to try out and get on a draft list..LOL..that is so bush!!!

OSU...there will always be a place for these players to play...I can assure you that!! The changes need to be made at the top in order for this league to FINALLY move forward and out of the stagnant position they have been in for 2+ years!!

Bringing Calgary into the fold?? No idea where the money is coming from but by the midway point of the season last year, it was difficult for teams to get to Boston...nevermind Calgary!!!!

But I guess the one saving grace is that this is just another decision to speed up the process of getting these two out!!!!

SJS has always been in this for herself...that was evident the first year!! Now this Canadian Tire deal that she brokered for herself just solidifies my judgement on her and what I had been saying all along!!!! Wonder if the peeps will listen now??

Comment

My D is playing Senior A this season because the CW is such a farce. Another friend of ours who was a coach last year, quit because of broken promises, conflicts, etc. This league is in big time trouble...AGAIN!! So sad.

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
                      My D is playing Senior A this season because the CW is such a farce. Another friend of ours who was a coach last year, quit because of broken promises, conflicts, etc. This league is in big time trouble...AGAIN!! So sad.
                      Seymore...this league has never been out of trouble...they have always been in it!

Overheard at a meeting in February with some of the braintrust of the CWHL...when asked about sponsorship..the answer given was..."we are good for this year". Nevermind looking toward next year..DUH!!!

I have said this and will say it again to ALL players...

The CWHL needs you more than you need it!! $50 to be put on a draft list is a debacle!! Save your money!!! There were players who played last year who were not on the draft list!!

Comment

Seymore...this league has never been out of trouble...they have always been in it!

Overheard at a meeting in February with some of the braintrust of the CWHL...when asked about sponsorship..the answer given was..."we are good for this year". Nevermind looking toward next year..DUH!!!

I have said this and will say it again to ALL players...

The CWHL needs you more than you need it!! $50 to be put on a draft list is a debacle!! Save your money!!! There were players who played last year who were not on the draft list!!
                        Twigg, I just went into the CWHL website to check out the latest news. The link to the 2011 draft is working but everything else errors out. Hmmmmm. Maybe I shouldn't read into that. Maybe their webmaster just fell asleep or something.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                          Twigg, I just went into the CWHL website to check out the latest news. The link to the 2011 draft is working but everything else errors out. Hmmmmm. Maybe I shouldn't read into that. Maybe their webmaster just fell asleep or something.

Apparently the draft is not even going to be public!! I have heard that the talent just isn't there this year!! The talent is there, just that most don't want to be apart of it!! May be due to the fact that the draft was a debacle plain and simple!!

I guess that they didn't pay their website server bill...LOL!!

Comment

Apparently the draft is not even going to be public!! I have heard that the talent just isn't there this year!! The talent is there, just that most don't want to be apart of it!! May be due to the fact that the draft was a debacle plain and simple!!

Here's your chance..

http://www.cwhl.ca/gmcoach_2011.asp

Comment

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
                              LOL...trust me..they would not be ready for what I would be telling them!!

Comment

From the little I've heard most of the talent is pretty set on where they want to play, and a lot want to come to Calgary which was the only reason they felt the need to set up a team here in the first place. The WWHL isn't the CWHL so keeping the best players in the latter was more important than actually thinking about the logistics of having a team a 5 hour flight away.

If you go to Montreal you're at least playing and training with the best, if you're one of the NT players and come to Calgary you can set up your life for a few years through the centralization period and train with all the other Olympians in the meantime. If you stick with the GTA you've got one of three teams that you may not care to play for and all the headaches that go with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X