Tragic News...absolutely tragic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tragic News...absolutely tragic

I was checking on the DI fan forum about the Michigan tech job, the Penn State job and then Clarkson job. In one of those posts they made an eerie statement about a college hockey player in the area that was found dead. I googled it and found some disheartening news on the waterfall daily news. A player from SUNY Canten (I think a ACHA TEam looking to join the big boys in the near future) that was hopped up on some designer drugs and lost his mind. Parents, Coaches, TRainers the way the drug culture is moving (being able to buy legal marijuana and legal cocaine, off shoots of meth, extasy, and whatever they conjure up in some laboratory). TALK to the kids. Put aside the need to grandstand and asses punitive disciplinary measures as the first response. Find out how they are spending their time, whats going on in their lives and don't pressure on the kids to make like everything is ok just cause they know that is what everyone wants to hear. We got to quit putting student athlets on the pedalstal making them the God complex. They are just like anyone else but earned recognition for playing a GAME rather well. They need to have people that they trust outsde of their immediate friends to talk about things like depression, addictive tendencies, and overall their emotional state without feeling like they are being punished or ridiculed.

Re: Tragic News...absolutely tragic

Originally posted by davinchi View Post
    I was checking on the DI fan forum about the Michigan tech job, the Penn State job and then Clarkson job. In one of those posts they made an eerie statement about a college hockey player in the area that was found dead. I googled it and found some disheartening news on the waterfall daily news. A player from SUNY Canten (I think a ACHA TEam looking to join the big boys in the near future) that was hopped up on some designer drugs and lost his mind. Parents, Coaches, TRainers the way the drug culture is moving (being able to buy legal marijuana and legal cocaine, off shoots of meth, extasy, and whatever they conjure up in some laboratory). TALK to the kids. Put aside the need to grandstand and asses punitive disciplinary measures as the first response. Find out how they are spending their time, whats going on in their lives and don't pressure on the kids to make like everything is ok just cause they know that is what everyone wants to hear. We got to quit putting student athlets on the pedalstal making them the God complex. They are just like anyone else but earned recognition for playing a GAME rather well. They need to have people that they trust outsde of their immediate friends to talk about things like depression, addictive tendencies, and overall their emotional state without feeling like they are being punished or ridiculed.
    It does appear to be a tragic suicide - SUNY Canton student found dead near his home {Article from the Watertown Daily Times - 4/19/2011}

CANTON — A SUNY Canton student apparently committed suicide at about 11:40 p.m. Sunday night.

Cory A. Bercume, 21, was found with slit wrists and a stab wound to his chest, according to village police. He was found in the yard at 25 Dies St. in the village.

The student also set his bed on fire and when police arrived at his residence at 281/2 Dies St., they found his bedroom aflame. There was minor damage to the house.

Mr. Bercume graduated from Potsdam High School in 2008, where he played hockey, soccer and lacrosse.

"It's a sad day here," district Superintendent Patrick H. Brady said. "We're all very shocked and surprised to hear about Cory's death and our hearts go out to Cory's friends and family and all who loved him."

Mr. Bercume was a sophomore criminal justice major at SUNY Canton, where he played on the hockey team.

Outside the house where he lived, some of his teammates placed a makeshift cross with a hockey stick against it on Monday. It was covered with messages written in black marker in memory of Mr. Bercume. His number, No. 7, was taped to the hockey stick. Several bouquets of flowers tied with blue and gold ribbon — SUNY Canton's colors — were placed on the ground next to the cross.

"Cory was loved by his friends, teammates, coaches, faculty members and all who were close to him," SUNY Canton spokesman Gregory E. Kie said in an email. "We'll miss him dearly."

Mr. Bercume had a younger brother, Ryan, who is also on the SUNY Canton hockey team.

An autopsy was scheduled for 5:30 Monday. Results will not be available for several weeks, according to police. Foul play is not suspected, police said. State police, St. Lawrence County sheriff's deputies, SUNY Canton police and Canton Fire and Rescue assisted at the scene.
    From WWNY -

Police in Canton are investigating the death of a popular SUNY Canton hockey player.

They say it may be related to a drug named 'Molly.'

Cory Bercume, 21, of Potsdam, died late Sunday night, police said.

A source told 7 News reporter John Friot investigators suspect Bercume may have taken a drug with the street name of 'Molly,' which is a pure form of the active ingredient in the well-known drug, 'Ecstacy.'

The source did not specify what led police to suspect the drug. An autopsy was to be done Monday afternoon, but the results of chemical tests will likely take several weeks.

Bercume died after starting a fire in his apartment at 28 1/2 Dies Street. Police said he then injured himself with a hunting knife, made it outside but collapsed and died on the street.

Bercume's team mates have erected a makeshift cross, signed with a variety of messages, and have placed a hockey stick reading 'RIP #7.'
    Last edited by norm1909; 04-19-2011, 05:23 AM.
    Larry Normandin
    SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
    WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Re: Tragic News...absolutely tragic

I heard all about it because I'm in Watertown. Tragic situation. Kids at that age think they are invicible and drugs can depress you after the initial high wears off. Condolences to the family.
      Twitter: DanMountSports
      2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Working...
      X