This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norwich Cadets Hockey 2011-2012: In Search of a Title

Last season is over, looking back the end results were loth more satisfying than they looked early on in the season, and also disappointing that the title game wasn't achieved.

It's time for a fresh season. We know who is leaving, and who we expect to return. The regular season will have a new look as this is the first post-interlock year.

Here we go again, Cadet fans-Let's go 'Wick!
    Go 'Wick!

Re: Norwich Cadets Hockey 2011-2012: In Search of a Title

Originally posted by Originally Posted by PrezdeJohnson09
    How cool would it be if they could swing a couple of date changes for the games and play both the men and womens games on Saturday the 10th at Kreitzberg Arena.

Play the women at four and the men at 7. It'd be a tremendous day of hockey for all involved. We would surely break the women's attendance record and it would give Plattsburgh fans a chance to get more bang for their buck and seeing two games rather than just one.

It's a pipe dream but it sure would be a fun event to have both on the same day in the same arena.

Call it the Cadet-Cardinal Classic or something like that.

Just spitballing here
    Originally posted by NUProf
    I still think that's a great idea, but there a lot of hurdles, most particularly the fact that the 10th of December will be "reading day." The academic regulations prohibit any scheduled non-academic activities on that day. The theory is that it is supposed to be a day devoted to studying for final exams, and having a hockey game, especially during the evening before finals start won't fly with lots of people. Friday would work, however.
    Bringing this topic over from the last thread.

Friday would still be fun...but i dont know what kind of a crowd the women would get since a 4 p.m. game on a Friday would be an awful tough sell with work etc and for parents.

Saturday would obviously be ideal but it sounds like that might be too far fetched with Norwich's standing policies.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post

Friday would still be fun...but i dont know what kind of a crowd the women would get since a 4 p.m. game on a Friday would be an awful tough sell with work etc and for parents.

Saturday would obviously be ideal but it sounds like that might be too far fetched with Norwich's standing policies.
      IMO, Saturday/Sunday games would be ideal, though they might have to do their homework Friday night instead of Sunday.
      Larry Normandin
      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Reading day has been sacrosanct for more than 30 years. Don't think that's going to change. Norwich was built on tradition.

IMO, Saturday/Sunday games would be ideal, though they might have to do their homework Friday night instead of Sunday.
        Exams start on Sunday - no regularly scheduled athletic events are allowed during exams - which technically includes reading day. At least it isn't as extreme as the school that I taught at in Nebraska - they observed what was called "dead week." Nothing could happen during dead week, except that term papers could be collected. No tests, No quizzes, no events of any kind. The only things that could happen were classes.
        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
          Reading day has been sacrosanct for more than 30 years. Don't think that's going to change. Norwich was built on tradition.

Exams start on Sunday - no regularly scheduled athletic events are allowed during exams - which technically includes reading day. At least it isn't as extreme as the school that I taught at in Nebraska - they observed what was called "dead week." Nothing could happen during dead week, except that term papers could be collected. No tests, No quizzes, no events of any kind. The only things that could happen were classes.
          And I just want to make it clear I wasn't challenging that tradition or raising a stink to it!

Just a cool thought for what would make for a fabulous day of hockey between two big time hockey powerhouse and great for all parties involved with a great branding opportunity/exposure for the school.
          GO LAKERS!!!
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

Exam periods should be sacrosanct!
            Larry Normandin
            SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
            WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

And I just want to make it clear I wasn't challenging that tradition or raising a stink to it!

Just a cool thought for what would make for a fabulous day of hockey between two big time hockey powerhouse and great for all parties involved with a great branding opportunity/exposure for the school.
              No - I think it is a terrific idea. Probably can't happen this year, but I really like it. It is a sometimes amazing the traditions you run into at NU. Ask somebody why we do something and the answer is "because that's the way we've always done it."

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                Exam periods should be sacrosanct!
                Several years ago during the Spring exam period there was a huge issue that came up because our exams were early that year, and the softball team was in the GNAC playoffs, and the possibility existed that they could end up having to play a game during exam week. The discussion became quite heated.

Comment

No - I think it is a terrific idea. Probably can't happen this year, but I really like it. It is a sometimes amazing the traditions you run into at NU. Ask somebody why we do something and the answer is "because that's the way we've always done it."
                  I have heard that a few times here.
                  GO LAKERS!!!
                  Oswego State '09

Comment

For anyone that has Facebook,

You would be doing our athletics photographer Jennifer Langille a big help by becoming a fan of the Norwich University photography page by clicking this link:

http://www.facebook.com/NorwichUniversityPhotography

All my game recaps and releases were always accompanied by a photo from Jenn. Please become a fan and browse around her stuff. She does some outstanding work for the NU athletic program.
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

Didnt realize that Darmouth was ranked 15th USCHO at yrs end, for sure they are NOT a bottom tier D1 team at this point at least, should be a BIG test for the Cadets, and will garner a ton of posts and speculation either way the game finishes.....should be interesting.......

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                        Didnt realize that Darmouth was ranked 15th USCHO at yrs end, for sure they are NOT a bottom tier D1 team at this point at least, should be a BIG test for the Cadets, and will garner a ton of posts and speculation either way the game finishes.....should be interesting.......
                        Yeah they just missed the tournament.

Four of their top 7 scorers, including the top two were seniors though so they will be losing a bit of their scoring punch. They return their goaltenders though.
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

Yeah they just missed the tournament.

Four of their top 7 scorers, including the top two were seniors though so they will be losing a bit of their scoring punch. They return their goaltenders though.
                          If it weren't for the AHA they would have been in - once again, it's all RIT's fault.

Comment

I'm impressed that Dartmouth is taking this game. My expectations are that the Cadets will acquit(sp) themselves well offensively, with at least 7 or 8 serious scoring opportunities, defensively they will prevent Dartmouth from getting more than 10-12 decent scoring opportunities. Goaltending will be the deciding factor...Final score......Norwich 2 Dartmouth 5.
                            Formerly known as NUSuntan

Comment

Originally posted by The Real Georgia Peach View Post
                              I'm impressed that Dartmouth is taking this game. My expectations are that the Cadets will acquit(sp) themselves well offensively, with at least 7 or 8 serious scoring opportunities, defensively they will prevent Dartmouth from getting more than 10-12 decent scoring opportunities. Goaltending will be the deciding factor...Final score......Norwich 2 Dartmouth 5.
                              That was my exact score prediction!
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                              X