Big 10 a scapegoat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big 10 a scapegoat?

I would first like to say im new to this board so hi. It seems to me that schools like NMU,BGSU and LSSU are using the new BTHC as a scapegoat. Many small schools are doing well (miami, RIT,Denver,UMD etc..) and would stilll do well if the Big TEn schools are gone. There something extremely wrong with your program if you depend on playing 3 schools to keep your program from dying.

Discuss.

Re: Big 10 a scapegoat?

Originally posted by gophfan View Post
    I would first like to say im new to this board so hi. It seems to me that schools like NMU,BGSU and LSSU are using the new BTHC as a scapegoat. Many small schools are doing well (miami, RIT,Denver,UMD etc..) and would stilll do well if the Big TEn schools are gone. There something extremely wrong with your program if you depend on playing 3 schools to keep your program from dying.

Discuss.
    LOL!!!

You can't make this stuff up.

Welcome to the boards.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Gopher fan. Hate the B1G Mistake.

College hockey is a nice mishmash. Everyone has a shot. With the B1G Mistake, you widen that gap, along with the benefit of killing other schools (LSSU, BGSU, etc). It's not only single game revenue, it's conference tourney revenue.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        Gopher fan. Hate the B1G Mistake.

College hockey is a nice mishmash. Everyone has a shot. With the B1G Mistake, you widen that gap, along with the benefit of killing other schools (LSSU, BGSU, etc). It's not only single game revenue, it's conference tourney revenue.
        Badger fan. WCHA fan. I agree

Comment

Discuss.
          So, you're saying you don't need to play the other Big 12 schools?
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

I dont like the idea og big ten either but you really think that these programs were going to survive anyways? Its not the BTHC fault that there programs rely on 3 schools to keep tehre program from dying.

Comment

And the "casual" fan some commisioners are wont to attract might be less inclined to watch their team (say, LSSU) play BG. Everyone in the state of Michigan knows the big, bad University of Michigan. Some idiots don't know where Bowling Green is or that they even have a hockey team. When that conference starts up, Michigan, OSU, Minny et al will never come to your barn to play you if you're a small school. And while the small schools you mentioned are doing well, some of those are very recent developments. The others have long, storied histories.
              "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

BGSU has been basically negleted for the past 20 years. Also schools like NMU and LSSu have been talked about for years there finiacial troubles.

Comment

Originally posted by frogtown_pond View Post
                  Badger fan. WCHA fan. I agree

And Alverez is a big proponent for the BTHC. Just sayin'.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

iM not a big ten fan but i just think that many of these teams are basically welfare pigs who have done very little with there programs.

Comment

iM not a big ten fan but i just think that many of these teams are basically welfare pigs who have done very little with there programs.
                      Learn to type.

Also, sometime these schools make some strides into something big. BSU, possibly WMU, Miami for Parise's sake or Notre Dame! I'm not against growth. but if adding one team eliminates 2 or 3...how is that growth? Answer me that. With yet another conference, how is UAH supposed to survive as an independent? You think CCHA is going to crawl on its knees to beg them to join? WCHA is fine, for now, with 10 teams.

Yes, I'm rambling. However, there's so many questions to be answered that any scenario is possible, if not plausible.

Comment

I'm not an ***hole, but your statements are idiotic right now.
                        Last edited by MavHockey14; 04-14-2011, 12:02 AM.
                        AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

yet the teams it would eliminate programs have been talking about folding for years. There programs have also been lously.

Comment

Superman's drunk!

Comment

the WCHA should be fine, however the minnesota schools lose a big draw as often the best attended series is against the UMTC. The WCHA will still have, arguably, the largest draw in the country as far as visiting fans go, NorDak. No one really considers their biggest rival to be Wisconsin, I could be mistaken, but their large alumni base does increase attendance over average at many schools. Minnesota and Wisconsin are historically two of the top 5 teams in the league year in year out so it is painful to see them go, but that leaves 3-4 other teams that are strong and could make the NCAAs every year. Also even after the exodus the WCHA still has 5 teams that have won national titles, NorDak, Denver, UMD, CC, and Mich Tech, and every team but Tech is a usual NCAA tourney team. Other teams that have made the tourney recently are St. Cloud, Nebraska-Omaha, and bemidji. The only two teams that haven't made it recently are Alaska-Anchorage and Minnesota State.
                              The CCHA is a bit different as they will lose more than 1/4 of their league and two of those are the two biggest draws for almost every school. Historically Michigan and MSU are the two strongest teams in the league, every other team falls behind. This is of course not talking this season, but year in year out I assume they are the two teams that have the highest national profile and consistency. Also, unlike the WCHA the CCHA historically doesn't have the depth of the WCHA, as far as quality teams go. Yes recently Miami and Notre Dame have done well nationally, but I think only 5 teams in the whole conference have National titles, LSSU, MSU, Mich, Northern, and BGSU, and three of those teams have not come close to sniffing a title in years. The problem seems to be that the Michigan teams except for the two leaving have not excelled, and Ohio is not a hockey hotbed. Finally, unlike the WCHA their conference tournament does not make much money, and when it does it is due to the presence of Michigan and MSU.
                              I'm the guy with the gold jersey in Magness, who is probably drunk or at least getting in trouble for obscene cheers.

"You all saw what happened. Stick down, gloves off, He challenged the Chiefs. Called us names, CALLED US NAMES!"

CC's titles are older than NASA

Comment

Working...
                              X