Programs Starving for a Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Programs Starving for a Title

It took UMD 50 years as a D-I Program to finally win its first national championship. The program moved up to D-I in the 1960-1961 season. What made it even sweeter was they were an unlucky bounce and goal away from winning in 84 and could have won in 1985. Those bad memories are gone for Bulldog fans.

What other programs have been starving for a title longer than UMD? I know CC hasn't won in 54 years (1957) and UNH and Miami have been close in recent years.

What are other D-I programs that have title droughts or have never won? Please talk about how these teams were close (or not close to winning it).
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Re: Programs Starving for a Title

I know Notre Dame has never won it. They have been really close several times over the past decade.

Comment

Dartmoth, Brown, Yale, St. Lawrence, Clarkson.

Been around since the dawn of the championships...

An easy look would be to review the top teams who have not won, and I think Clarkson (IIRC) is the top team who have never won. So I would put them on top.

Comment

The three programs you mentioned really are the top 3 in this discussion and probably a long way ahead of everyone else IMO.

I would have CC and UNH tied for first. CC has won two but has a long drought. UNH has never won one which makes the monkey on their back huge but they haven't been as nationally relevant for as long as CC so those things offset and put them at about a tie. Miami is a relative newcomer and is a distant 3rd. Obviously they've been close a few times but they've barely paid their dues when you look at the long-term picture but they will be relevant for quite a while IMO.

Most of the other programs out there that have long droughts are just not that relevant nationally anymore IMO to even put them on this list. Can they realistically do it again? Probably not... but sure anything can happen.

It's pretty interesting though, we had some mild/long droughts already broken in the last 15 years with some real powerhouse programs that removed them from a discussion like this. BC (52 years), MSU (21 years), Wisconsin (16 years), Denver (35 years), and Minnesota (23 years).
        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Cornell specifically, but the whole ECAC in general. I think that it's much more evident when other teams in your conference are printing home NCs.

I think getting close and not winning makes it feel worse. Miami isn't going to get over 08 until the win, the same way that it took MN winning in 02 to erase thedeamons of lost title games.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            Dartmoth, Brown, Yale, St. Lawrence, Clarkson.

Been around since the dawn of the championships...

An easy look would be to review the top teams who have not won, and I think Clarkson (IIRC) is the top team who have never won. So I would put them on top.
            SLU was unbelievably close in '88 against LSSU in lake placid for the championship, losing in OT on a goal that came with the net knocked off I believe. Some of the older SLU fans can elaborate on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
              The three programs you mentioned really are the top 3 in this discussion and probably a long way ahead of everyone else IMO.

I would have CC and UNH tied for first. CC has won two but has a long drought. UNH has never won one which makes the monkey on their back huge but they haven't been as nationally relevant for as long as CC so those things offset and put them at about a tie. Miami is a relative newcomer and is a distant 3rd. Obviously they've been close a few times but they've barely paid their dues when you look at the long-term picture but they will be relevant for quite a while IMO.

Most of the other programs out there that have long droughts are just not that relevant nationally anymore IMO to even put them on this list. Can they realistically do it again? Probably not... but sure anything can happen.

It's pretty interesting though, we had some mild/long droughts already broken in the last 15 years with some real powerhouse programs that removed them from a discussion like this. BC (52 years), MSU (21 years), Wisconsin (16 years), Denver (35 years), and Minnesota (23 years).
              Forget CC- they've at least won a championship. UNH can be there.. (and we can also ignore Cornell- they even have the only undefeated season, ever).

But on a historical basis, IMHO, the argument for Clarkson is the best. FS23's list, which I find quite useful, has Clarkson quite a bit above UNH, mainly due to history.

And one has to consider Dartmouth- they lost the very first NC game to Michigan in '48. Same thing in '49, but to BC.

St. Lawerence- made the FF 52, 55, 56, 59, and 60.

Clarkson- '57

Brown '51.

They have been brewing about sipping from the victory cup for the entire time, to the point of just about reaching it.

No team that has won suffers like that.

And while UNH does get some thought, they get a 10 year disadvantage for not being around.

Princeton and Yale get special metion for being around since 1933 in the Ivy league.

Comment

Forget CC- they've at least won a championship. UNH can be there.. (and we can also ignore Cornell- they even have the only undefeated season, ever).

But on a historical basis, IMHO, the argument for Clarkson is the best. FS23's list, which I find quite useful, has Clarkson quite a bit above UNH, mainly due to history.
                Actually, Clarkson finished 1955-56 undefeated (23-0-0). Because freshmen weren't allowed in the FF at the time, Clarkson decided not to go.
                Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
                Clarkson 1990

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                  SLU was unbelievably close in '88 against LSSU in lake placid for the championship, losing in OT on a goal that came with the net knocked off I believe. Some of the older SLU fans can elaborate on that one.
                  I guess I'm an older fan now.

The net was knocked off with SLU swarming the net at the end of regulation with the score tied at 3. The real shame for SLU was that they peaked in the playoffs, made it all the way to the NC game, and proceeded to dominate play for 3+ periods. They brought their best game at the biggest moment and lost anyway. That was our best shot, and the team did everything it could have done to win it. They just ran into the wrong goaltender at the wrong moment - and shortly thereafter the college hockey landscape changed in a way that made it ****-near impossible for them to get that chance again.

Comment

St. Lawerence- made the FF 52, 55, 56, 59, and 60.

and '61, '88 and 2000.

Comment

I would put Clarkson, SLU and New Hampshire as the top three programs to have yet to win a title. Clarkson has had the most overall success historically, made 20 trips to the NCAA Tournament, 7 to the Frozen Four, and has 6 victories at the Frozen Four (albeit mostly in the 3rd place games). New Hampshire has been to the most NCAA Tournaments of those three (21) and has the most NCAA Tournament victories among those three (15). New Hampshire though, is 2-10 at the Frozen Four. SLU has had the least success of the three at the NCAA Tournament (a staggering 5-25 NCAA Record), but they have been to the Frozen Four the most times of this group at 9.

FWIW, my formula ranked those three teams in this order: Clarkson, UNH, SLU
                      North Dakota
                      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

UND is def starving for one right now. I'd say Minnesota would be up there too. And Mich Tech will turn it around eventually.

Comment

I will put the vote in for Michigan Tech. Yes, I'm sure there are programs with zero titles that would be happy with three, but keep in mind we've been competing since 1920. That has us batting 3 for 91 or roughly 0.033... Even averaging one every 20 years would put us at 4 or maybe even 5 by now. And currently we are a loooong way from the next one.
                          Hope springs eternal in Houghton...
                          Ryan J
                          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                          Originally posted by geezer
                          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                          Originally posted by manurespreader
                          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

UNH, Clarkson, SLU for the teams that have yet to win. CC and Cornell for the ones that have, then MTU as well.
                            the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                              UNH, Clarkson, SLU for the teams that have yet to win. CC and Cornell for the ones that have, then MTU as well.
                              How long have these programs been in existence?
                              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Working...
                              X