Little help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little help

So in looking at the game box summaries on the www.collegehocketstats website they use a number of letters to designate various shortcuts. Most of them I get -

GW game winner
    HT hat trick
    SH shorthanded goal
    PP power play
    EA extra attacker

but for the life of me I cannot figure out what they mean when they use LL associated with scoring a goal. Little help

Re: Little help

Originally posted by gfan View Post
    So in looking at the game box summaries on the www.collegehocketstats website they use a number of letters to designate various shortcuts. Most of them I get -

GW game winner
    HT hat trick
    SH shorthanded goal
    PP power play
    EA extra attacker

but for the life of me I cannot figure out what they mean when they use LL associated with scoring a goal. Little help
    I believe that LL stands for "last lead" (as in the final go-ahead goal)

Comment

Originally posted by d3follower View Post
      That's correct. It the goal that gives the winning team a lead that they don't give up.

If hockey used the same scoring rules as baseball that would be the game winning goal.
      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

I certainly could be wrong, as I do not know for certain, but I have always thought LL was "Lost Lead" (or tie if 0-0), used to determine the goalie who gets the loss. Though "Last Lead"/"Lasting Lead" could be it.
        Last edited by norm1909; 04-10-2011, 06:50 AM.
        Larry Normandin
        SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
        WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Thanks much....sometimes the LL is also the GW but sometimes it is not as the other team can come back to tie but never lead.....

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
            I certainly could be wrong, as I do not know for certain, but I have always thought LL was "Lost Lead" (or tie if 0-0), used to determine the goalie who gets the loss. Though "Last Lead"/"Lasting Lead" could be it.
            The LL goal always goes from a tie to the lead. If you were ahead and a goal scores to tie it, you've lost the lead, but not gotten an LL. In baseball, the losing pitcher is the one who gives up the LL Run. Isn't the loser in hockey the Goalie who gives up the GWG? That I'm not so sure of.

Originally posted by gfan View Post
            Thanks much....sometimes the LL is also the GW but sometimes it is not as the other team can come back to tie but never lead.....
            If the other team comes back to tie, that goal can't be the LL. Example a team goes up 1-0, then 2-0, 3-0,4-0, Other team scores, two goals 4-1, 4-2. LL is the first goal, GW is the third goal. The other team never lead, so the first goal was the LL, but the GWG is the n+1 st goal if your opponents score n goals

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
              The LL goal always goes from a tie to the lead. If you were ahead and a goal scores to tie it, you've lost the lead, but not gotten an LL. In baseball, the losing pitcher is the one who gives up the LL Run. Isn't the loser in hockey the Goalie who gives up the GWG? That I'm not so sure of...
              True - The LL goal always goes from a tie to the lead, at any tie, NOT just 0-0.
              Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

The LL goal always goes from a tie to the lead. If you were ahead and a goal scores to tie it, you've lost the lead, but not gotten an LL. In baseball, the losing pitcher is the one who gives up the LL Run. Isn't the loser in hockey the Goalie who gives up the GWG? That I'm not so sure of.
                You're correct about the GWG, whoever gives it up is the losing goalie.

That means if someone comes in with their team down 4-0, gives up a goal right away and then doesn't give up another goal they'll still get the loss if their team comes back and scores 4 goals.

Comment

Originally posted by one_to7 View Post
                  You're correct about the GWG, whoever gives it up is the losing goalie.

That means if someone comes in with their team down 4-0, gives up a goal right away and then doesn't give up another goal they'll still get the loss if their team comes back and scores 4 goals.
                  So if that goalie is pulled at the 4-4 tie, and the incoming goalie gives up the tie breaker, the initial goalie gets the loss and the incoming goalie gets a "no contest"?
                  Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

So if that goalie is pulled at the 4-4 tie, and the incoming goalie gives up the tie breaker, the initial goalie gets the loss and the incoming goalie gets a "no contest"?
                    no - the goalie who gives up the GWG gets the loss

Comment

Nope, because the 2nd goalie gave up the game winning goal.

no - the goalie who gives up the GWG gets the loss
                      Ding!

Comment

Originally posted by one_to7 View Post
                        Nope, because the 2nd goalie gave up the game winning goal.

Ding!
                        Premise: That means if someone comes in with their team down 4-0, gives up a goal right away and then doesn't give up another goal they'll still get the loss if their team comes back and scores 4 goals.

If the incoming goalie, comes in down 4-0, and his team scores 4 goals and he doesn't give up the game winning goal, why would the first goalie get the loss, since the game ended as a 4-4 tie?
                        Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Premise: That means if someone comes in with their team down 4-0, gives up a goal right away and then doesn't give up another goal they'll still get the loss if their team comes back and scores 4 goals.

If the incoming goalie, comes in down 4-0, and his team scores 4 goals and he doesn't give up the game winning goal, why would the first goalie get the loss, since the game ended as a 4-4 tie?
                          The goalies who are in the game when the game tieing goal is scored get the credit/blame for the tie on their record. In a game with a decision, the goalie in the game for the winnners when the GWG scores gets the win (as long as he plays at least 30 minutes) and the goalie in the game for the losers get the loss. It's the same rule as baseball, except that the game winning run is baseball is the LL goal in hockey.

Comment

Kinda far-fetched question, but as long as we're on the subject: in a game where no goaltender on the winning team logs 30 minutes (a three-goalie affair, for example), does GWG or minutes played take precedence?
                            Go Cards: win or lose, The Better Team.
                            A Lot of (Sometimes Tainted) SUNYAC Championships
                            A Handful of ECAC West Championships
                            A Number of NCAA Appearances, Including Several Trips to the Final Four, Though Some of Them Don't Count
                            Some National Championships:
                            Women's (THIS YEAR, LAST YEAR, A Couple Years Back, '08, '07)
                            Men's (Wow Look at the Time Pass, A While before That)

Comment

The goalies who are in the game when the game tieing goal is scored get the credit/blame for the tie on their record. In a game with a decision, the goalie in the game for the winnners when the GWG scores gets the win (as long as he plays at least 30 minutes) and the goalie in the game for the losers get the loss. It's the same rule as baseball, except that the game winning run is baseball is the LL goal in hockey.
                              So if the goalie is pulled with a tie because it is potentially the last game of the season and their team needs to win to continue, yet an empty net goal is scored ending their season, then no one gets the loss?
                              Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Working...
                              X