Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Complete Lack of Ethics or Bold Insightful Strategy?...let the discussion begin...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complete Lack of Ethics or Bold Insightful Strategy?...let the discussion begin...

This particular incident is not specifically a female hockey story but that doesn't mean that it couldn't happen in the female game or in any other female game such as soccer, to which the second story partially alludes.

This one took place a month ago during high school hockey playoffs and the comments that follow the TSN article are interesting as well.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=356486

http://askcoachwolff.com/2011/04/08/...throws-a-game/

Re: Complete Lack of Ethics or Bold Insightful Strategy?...let the discussion begin..

All associated with sport should respect the game. That means playing to win, which is the very essence of competition. As soon as one attempts to lose, the basic premise of the game has been tainted and displays a lack of respect for teammates, opponents, and spectators. This isn't a game in the backyard with your kid.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Re: Complete Lack of Ethics or Bold Insightful Strategy?...let the discussion begin..

These articles don't mention what I consider more important, the dilemma the players faced: Obey your coach when you know it is wrong or do what is right.

Sean
      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
      BU Hockey highlights and extras
      NCAA Hockey Financials
      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
        These articles don't mention what I consider more important, the dilemma the players faced: Obey your coach when you know it is wrong or do what is right.

Sean
        One of the articles did touch on it briefly and how some of them felt about it but the players ultimately, shortly thereafter, did make the classy decision to do what they knew was the right thing to do...ie:to play Oak Park instead of ducking them. The collective will of many like minded people can be a powerful force.

The topic of this thread is very closely related to other comments recently made in other threads on this forum and those might also deserve some discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post

Sean
          Yes I agree SP... And along that line, there are those that would say that these coaches were doing what they thought was best for their team rather than the integrity of the game.... Of course I'm not one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by rugrats View Post
            Yes I agree SP... And along that line, there are those that would say that these coaches were doing what they thought was best for their team rather than the integrity of the game.... Of course I'm not one of them.
            I can't imagine any true fan, dedicated athlete, quality and qualified coach, or anyone involved in the sport in any capacity would believe sacrificing the integrity of the game would be what's best for any team. I would certainly commend any player in this situation who would recognize this "strategy" as bush league, and vocally object...even refuse to participate. It would be a tough position for a coach to insert a player into, yet any player that would resist their coach under these circumstances, whether passively or not so passively would exhibit far greater character than these coaches IMO.

Bold insightful strategy? Strategy of a big time chicken $hit loser IMO.
            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
              I can't imagine any true fan, dedicated athlete, quality and qualified coach, or anyone involved in the sport in any capacity would believe sacrificing the integrity of the game would be what's best for any team. I would certainly commend any player in this situation who would recognize this "strategy" as bush league, and vocally object...even refuse to participate. It would be a tough position for a coach to insert a player into, yet any player that would resist their coach under these circumstances, whether passively or not so passively would exhibit far greater character than these coaches IMO.

Bold insightful strategy? Strategy of a big time chicken $hit loser IMO.

Not sure exactly what you're objecting to or the point that you are trying to make with the thumbs down icon.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                Not sure exactly what you're objecting to or the point that you are trying to make with the thumbs down icon.
                I honestly didn't think that was in any way ambiguous. It means I'm in the "complete lack of ethics" camp as opposed to believing the move qualifies as a "bold insightful strategy." Isn't that the discussion you wanted to provoke?
                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                  I honestly didn't think that was in any way ambiguous. It means I'm in the "complete lack of ethics" camp as opposed to believing the move qualifies as a "bold insightful strategy." Isn't that the discussion you wanted to provoke?
                  Thanks for the clarification...maybe it was just me.

But, not meaning to split hairs, "provoke" might be too strong a word...when I was reading the TSN article it didn't dawn on me that anyone but the coach(s) involved would condone such a tactic until I read some of the comments that followed the article. As in most instances there is usually a difference of opinions among people and I then thought it would be interesting to hear the opinions of fans on this forum many of which are long time fans of the game. Seeing as I am in agreement with your assessment of the situation I thought it would be quite interesting to hear someone defend the other view...they might offer something that I or others might not have considered, if there was anyone courageous enough to do so...if such a one even exists on this forum...(someone who sincerely believes and is willing to defend the "Bold Insightful Strategy" viewpoint, that is....which, it seemed to me, was most likely how the coach(s) viewed their actions).

So far, no takers.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                    ...Seeing as I am in agreement with your assessment of the situation I thought it would be quite interesting to hear someone defend the other view...they might offer something that I or others might not have considered, if there was anyone courageous enough to do so...if such a one even exists on this forum...(someone who sincerely believes and is willing to defend the "Bold Insightful Strategy" viewpoint, that is....which, it seemed to me, was most likely how the coach(s) viewed their actions).

So far, no takers.
                    Both the ends and the means are flawed, so the lack of takers isn't a huge surprise.

The Ends
                    Ducking an opponent isn't the most laudable motivation. If you avoid a tough opponent by earning a higher place in the standings, fine. The means are beyond reproach, so no one can question the desire for an easier match-up in the next round. But there's a reason that few will publicly admit they don't want to face a particular opponent.

The Means
                    Pulling the goalie to lose intentionally just doesn't pass the smell test, regardless of the ends. I suppose if we played around with tiebreaking scenarios long enough, we could come up with a situation where losing would qualify a team for the next round of playoffs, while winning would eliminate them. But even in that rare case, I don't think it makes sense to take the ice and play dishonorably. Insisting on the right to forfeit, and therefore qualify for the next round, maybe.

Just my two cents.

Comment

Ducking an opponent in the playoffs is just plain stupid. It actually shows a lack of faith in your own team. Furthermore, if you can't beat them in this round, why would you be able to beat them in the next? The object of the game is to win, and if you are in the playoffs, you should be able to beat every team on your plate if you expect to win the whole thing. It doesn't matter whether you lose in the first round or the second - if you don't win, you aren't the champs.
                      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Working...
                      X